PDA

View Full Version : Provent

Sherwy
02-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Greetings Amaroker's,

I just picked up my new V6 Sportline on Friday. Love it.

I've been looking at a Provent for my old T5 for quite a while but never went through with it.

I'm thinking very seriously about getting one for the Amarok, I can't find a reason why I wouldn't get one. Got to be a win/win right?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Sherwy.

Net 4x4 : Mann+Hummel PreLine 150 Fuel Filter Kit With Water Sensor - VW Amarok 3.0lt V6 (https://net4x4.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=10&product_id=99)

crash486
02-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Had a provent catch can on my 4x4 for 8 years and while people were cleaning sensor, inter cooler and manifolds, I just kept driving without any issues, so it's a yes from me.
I'd also consider a secondary fuel filter if you plan on outback trips or using jerry cans. That said my neighbour got water in their Alltrack after using a local fuel station so better safe than sorry.

winchy
02-07-2018, 03:56 PM
@Sherwy, that kit is the goods. I have the same one from Net 4x4. Very well thought out. Have only fitted the catch can so far and fits neatly. Fuel filter is on the bench until I have time. No drain valve on the V6 fuel filter, so having the pre with water watch is a no brainer.http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/07/4a795c433ed399f2b9e16f8e84971c5f-1.jpg

Sherwy
02-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Thanks fellas. Great stuff.

Ordering now!

Cheers,

Pete.

Rocket36
03-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Had a provent catch can on my 4x4 for 8 years and while people were cleaning sensor, inter cooler and manifolds, I just kept driving without any issues, so it's a yes from me.

Can you explain this to us a bit more? I have no idea why a catch can eliminates the need for maintenance.

crash486
03-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Can you explain this to us a bit more? I have no idea why a catch can eliminates the need for maintenance.

Did I say I did no maintenance or did I imply that other people had to do significantly more maintenance as a by product of not reducing the mixture of air, fuel, water, and oil vapors that are recirculated and

" coat the inside walls of everything downstream of the inlet port on the intake and eventually clog PCV valves and cake up engine components. Depending on the type of engine, this can include several important components, such as; the throttle body, intake valves of direct injection engines, the turbocharger compressor wheel, and the internal fins of an intercooler on boosted cars, reducing its efficiency. In addition, these vapors also create a universal problem of mixing with the fuel injected into the combustion chamber ; possibly pulling ignition timing on ECU controlled vehicles and reducing power.

Closed Catch Can System (Emissions Friendly)

A closed catch can system is the most popular solution because it still recirculates the air back into the system after removing the unwanted vapors from the air and retains the factory PCV system. This allows the car to still comply with emission standards, while still working effectively on most engines .The downside to using this setup is that the PCV valve acts as a bottleneck on higher horsepower and high boost applications and won’t be able to vent the air quickly enough, allowing positive crankcase pressure to build. Depending on the application, a second catch can may be required to work effectively."

I didn't give a long response in my initial post, I gave my opinion and personal experience, sorry if You took that to mean something different.

Rocket36
04-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Jesus! No need to get rude and arrogant. I asked a simple question because I was genuinely interested. Thanks anyway.