PDA

View Full Version : Dash Cam

Paul de Vere
13-06-2018, 08:32 PM
G'day guys and gals,

Forewarning, my knowledge of auto electronics is incredibly limited, I'll do my best to explain

Has anyone fitted a dash cam into their Arteon (or Passat/Golf with the Active Info Display and completely digital systems) yet?

I've got the Thinkware F800 Pro fitted, but it keeps power cycling and having a bit of a **** fit.

It required a canbus adapter or something to tap into the battery without it sending error codes, it does power on, it does record, however, at random points it will just continually start recording and then switch off, repeatedly.

Trying to figure out if anyone else has managed to install one successfully.

Kind regards,
Paul

ian
13-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Most here use Blackvue

HiddenTaco
15-06-2018, 04:05 PM
I'll be installing a 2 Channel BlackVue once it arrives.

I'll be following this guide: Dash Cam Install Tutorial – Volkswagen MK7 Golf – AutoInstruct (https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/)

Paul de Vere
16-06-2018, 03:07 PM
I'll be installing a 2 Channel BlackVue once it arrives.

I'll be following this guide: Dash Cam Install Tutorial – Volkswagen MK7 Golf – AutoInstruct (https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/)

Thanks for that, had a quick read through it, still not sure it explains the issues I'm having.

The newest VW system doesn't have the traditional "accessories" function as I understand it, it's basically on or off with no real in-between which is causing the camera to power cycle on occasion.

It worked fine in my 2010 Passat diesel, but since moving it to the Arteon, nothing but problems.

Let me know if you have any issues installing the Blackvue, perhaps it's just a qwirk with Thinkware?

HiddenTaco
22-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Paul, yeah sorry didn't directly address your issue. Maybe a "Multi-Safer" might address your issue?

Do you have a rear camera? If yes, can you please send me how it is mounted? Did they run the rear wire along the bottom rather than across the top of the car?

Rocket36
22-06-2018, 10:43 AM
I have a Blackvue DR750S-2CH. Installed quick and easy myself - even ran the rear cable through the factory rubber cable cover thing on the tailgate. An Arteon would be simpler as it's just through the roof lining.

Got lucky on the weekend too. Missed me and got the poor guy behind me. Red light running, my bet - ON THEIR PHONE! :mad:

(skip to about 30 seconds)

https://youtu.be/lfw09FUuJGY

HiddenTaco
22-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Damn. That is scary to watch.

Here is my issue with the back and why I was looking for inspiration from other Arteon owners.

I can't get a great picture of the inside but I'm considering running it along to floor...

Rocket36
25-06-2018, 01:36 PM
If that were my car I'd be popping trim off and following this path...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/06/IMG_20180622_114447-1.jpg

HiddenTaco
25-06-2018, 01:43 PM
If that were my car I'd be popping trim off and following this path...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/06/IMG_20180622_114447-1.jpg

That is definitely the route I wanted to take, but it was more hassle than it is worth. From what I can tell, tt involved removing the a seat. I'll post up pictures of how I managed to install it.

Rocket36
26-06-2018, 10:46 AM
The seat? WTF? No. How does that red line go anywhere near a seat? It's just plastic trim to un-clip! You don't even need to fully remove it. There's a piece on the boot lid to pull off, a piece on the underside of the roof, the rubber boot as seen in the photo and then you simply run it around the edge of the headlining.

Paul de Vere
03-07-2018, 01:43 AM
Paul, yeah sorry didn't directly address your issue. Maybe a "Multi-Safer" might address your issue?

Do you have a rear camera? If yes, can you please send me how it is mounted? Did they run the rear wire along the bottom rather than across the top of the car?

What's a Multi-Safer?

As for the rear camera, run it under the roof line to the cable grommet in the boot hatch, then run it along the trim inside the hatch until you mount the camera.

I still haven't gotten around to having that part done

Golf Girl
07-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Hey Paul did you get your dash cam sorted out? I'm getting a Thinkview installed in my Arteon next week, (and my fiance just had a Thinkview installed in his ute yesterday).

I have a Blackvue in my Golf but I've had some trouble with it resetting the time each time the car starts, so we went with what the installer recommended.

HiddenTaco
08-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Just reporting in that the blackvue with the power magic pro works really well.

If you don't like the idea of pulling off trim and messing with fuses then get it professionally installed.

All of the Golf, Tiguan and Passat instructions you find on the net only partially help. The rear camera is a pain and the wiring under the glove box is different and far less accessable.

If anyone is interested then I'll take photos.

Hillbilly
09-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Hey Paul did you get your dash cam sorted out? I'm getting a Thinkview installed in my Arteon next week, (and my fiance just had a Thinkview installed in his ute yesterday).

I have a Blackvue in my Golf but I've had some trouble with it resetting the time each time the car starts, so we went with what the installer recommended.

What model Blackvue Usually denotes the little battery that retains its memory has died $3 on Ebay and some fine soldering fixes it Have done about 4 of them

Paul de Vere
11-07-2018, 01:31 AM

It only happens sporadically.
Not sure exactly why or what causes it.
Otherwise it works fine, as it did in my 2010 Passat.

Not sure what trips it to cause it to power cycle, still haven't figured it out

Hillbilly
11-07-2018, 09:49 AM
It only happens sporadically.
Not sure exactly why or what causes it.
Otherwise it works fine, as it did in my 2010 Passat.

Not sure what trips it to cause it to power cycle, still haven't figured it out

Dont know much about the Arteon but VW have strange quirks like turning off some circuits while car is starting so where you have the camera powered from could be one of them