PDA

View Full Version : Change in offset = Change bolts??

SoVeReIgN
29-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey guys -

Quick question I hope someone can help me out.

I've recently changed my 16x6.5" A3 wheels for some 18x8" TT wheels.

Now the offset on the TT wheels is different, they stick out further in the guards and although wider they have a smaller offset (I THINK 45 vs 30) but I can't remember.

My questions is - Do I need to purchase longer bolts? I figure that given these stick out futher there will be less of the bolt holding onto the hub and hence less safe etc etc.. What do you guys do for bolts?

gpk_gti
29-01-2008, 10:02 AM
longer bolts mate..got mine from H&R ...tcca motorsport 02 94363668.. milan wil know what length you need.

SoVeReIgN
29-01-2008, 10:33 AM
longer bolts mate..got mine from H&R ...tcca motorsport 02 94363668.. milan wil know what length you need.

Had a chat to him - Great guy! Didn't try to sell me something I didn't need - I'm sure he'll be getting my business in the future.

Basically said aslong as they are turning 7~8 turns you don't need to replace them as they are working to spec. (Wheels are offset but because they are wider the bolts will be fine)

rayray086
29-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Offset and width doesn't play a role in requiring longer lugs or not. With your new wheels, just push a lug through one of the wheel holes and compare how much thread comes out on the other side compared to your stock wheels. I've heard many opinions on how many full turns are required but yes, 7-8 is the recommended, 6 being the minimum.

evorobin
29-01-2008, 09:19 PM
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

This will tell exactly how much further out they stick. 34mm if the new wheels are et30

blutopless2
03-02-2008, 12:58 PM
as said above.... you shouldn't need different bolts just coz the offset is different. its the difference between where the wheel seats on the hub and the bolts seat in their holes that matters. if this changes between wheels then you need longer or shorter bolts.

VWindahouse
03-02-2008, 01:39 PM
as said above.... you shouldn't need different bolts just coz the offset is different. its the difference between where the wheel seats on the hub and the bolts seat in their holes that matters. if this changes between wheels then you need longer or shorter bolts.

That's what I thought. The only time i've needed longer bolts is when i put on some H&R wheel spacers which I purchased from tcca!