PDA

View Full Version : Passat 206TSI Oil Usage

TailsK
31-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Hi all! I was just wondering if people are finding that they need to top up their Passat 206TSI oil between services. I had to top up my wagon's oil before the first service, and again today, a few thousand kms out from the second service. Is this usual?

Thanks!

zzc2010
31-05-2018, 04:08 PM
Hi all! I was just wondering if people are finding that they need to top up their Passat 206TSI oil between services. I had to top up my wagon's oil before the first service, and again today, a few thousand kms out from the second service. Is this usual?

Thanks!

EA888 engines design issue.

The top up in my case is not severe.

Only topped up once after the car passed service interval as I booked in late.

Seems yours is burning more oil.

If it happens every thousands kms, you may need to check the engine up for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimi
31-05-2018, 06:20 PM
It can be a function of how it was run in

Wynnston
31-05-2018, 11:54 PM
I used a little oil before the first service, probably about 500ml. Since then (40k kms later) and I haven't burnt a drop.

DR074
02-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Just checked mine, 14k and about to go in for 1st service, and still have plenty of oil.

Ozsko
02-06-2018, 08:40 PM

We have two of these motors and neither use oil but they kindly supplied a litre in the boot so it must be an expectation. Both motors were revved very hard to the red line from brand new for the first few days. Take that for what it is worth.

Jimi
03-06-2018, 12:26 AM
We have two of these motors and neither use oil but they kindly supplied a litre in the boot so it must be an expectation. Both motors were revved very hard to the red line from brand new for the first few days. Take that for what it is worth.

That’s almost always a better approach IMO than babying it/highway driving when it comes to bedding everything in

TailsK
04-06-2018, 02:17 PM

That’s almost always a better approach IMO than babying it/highway driving when it comes to bedding everything in

I wasn't given any advice as to how I should run it in when I purchased it. I probably treated my car like Ozsko did when I bought it... The dealer has been topping it up for free, but it's not very convenient. I'll ask them when I take it in for a service.

Wynnston
04-06-2018, 10:12 PM
I wasn't given any advice as to how I should run it in when I purchased it. I probably treated my car like Ozsko did when I bought it... The dealer has been topping it up for free, but it's not very convenient. I'll ask them when I take it in for a service.

Run in instructions are in the owners manual. I ignored them and broke the car in like I have every other car I've owned from new. Don't flog it all the time, but give it the squirt occasionally, don't make the engine labour in a lower gear, regulate speeds, don't use cruise control and don't pound the brakes.

Ozsko
04-06-2018, 11:35 PM

You must be putting a lot of oil in it. We ran all our race motors in the same way after a while, warm them up with a few laps and drive it like you stole it. They always went harder than softly running them in by the seat of the pants dyno.

amunra
06-07-2018, 06:37 PM
if the dealer is topping it up with VW OEM CASTROL then that is probably your issue.

If you get 504.507 spec penrite enviro+ or shell you will be good.

been through this with the R which obviously has the same motor.

i was burning 1/4 - 1/2 my oil every 1,500 - 2500km but that stopped happening when i started using either of these oils.

then to test i bought another bottle of castrol after many KMs of using the others and again it burnt alot faster.

penrite is usually on special at supercheap or repco , usually 60 per bottle. shell you can get on ebay for 75 per bottle