PDA

View Full Version : Money+Options=looking for help on decision

Mrk_Mickey
29-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Hey guys,
I've come into money after selling the HyunGAY. Basically, I've worked out I can safely spend $1600. BUT Here's my main problem - I can either go mainly wheels plus other, or mainly suspension.
If my tread wasn't bald I wouldn't have a hard decision to make...

So, here are my options as I see them:
a) Spend money on new tyres as needed, and get new wheels with them (because that's how I can justify it) and tint windows (meaning to do that too), then save rest of money for soundsystem i'm already saving for. OR:
b) spend money on coilovers (1300-1500....enough?). Then find some tyres for the stockie's, OR find on the odd occasion some second hand wheels I like.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm still not sure as to whether I should spend the money at all yet..but I need options in case:). On a side note, I have a mate who's a trainee mechanic who I believe will install my coilovers as a favour, so installation costs aren't considered.

Also if anyone has some nice 205/50R15 tyres, knows where to get them cheap or knows a good second hand wheels place, let me know:)

Thanks guys

DaveMack
29-01-2008, 01:14 AM
A decent set of coilovers are gonna set you back between 1750 and 3000 (depending on whether you want fully adjustables or not).

That might help with you money calculations. I'd say ... save a bit more and get the coilovers. :D

Dave

Bubu
29-01-2008, 02:12 AM
I agree, save your money and spend it on something good that you will enjoy.

I would get the coilovers first then upgrade wheels/tyres.

If your tyre situation needs immidiate attention then I would find some 2nd hand tyres to get you by. By the time those tyres are worn out you should be able to save some cash to get your self some nice wheels and rubber.

The_Hawk
29-01-2008, 09:05 AM
It all depends on what you want to do. A half decent sound system can be pretty cheap if you don't want to blow the fur off passing animals at 90.

A CD/MP3 headunit can be had for ~$150
An amp can be had for ~$150
A Sub can be had for as little as $50!
Speakers get a little more pricey if you try to stick with 6/6.5" splits.

In my case the previous owner had put 6x9's in the parcel shelf so I upgraded them with the parts I had pulled out of the Mk1 before I sold it.

Sony 6x9's + 300W Pioneer amp + Pioneer Headunit and it was all sweet. I then saw a sub for $50 and got a $99 4 channel amp to go with it. Technically it's a little less powerful than the Pioneer 2 Channel model I had, but this way was quick and simple and is more than ample for my ears.

By no means is my setup considered "high end", but it does sound good, it's damn loud and best of all it was cheap!
Sub and Amp:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/01/IMG_6314-1.jpg

Coilovers are also a good option. I'm currently waiting on a set I ordered from Germany to show up (*hopefully* this week). They are non adjustable +40% dampening over stock, 20 - 85mm drop and set me back $AU950 delivered including a set of heavy duty strut mounts for the front. Only time will tell how good they are, especially when I get one of the KW boys to have a ride.

Lastly wheels. Many have said the wheels make a car. Make sure you buy something you really like, if you can't get something perfect for your money, I say don't bother. At the end of the day they are all round with black on the outside so your current ones will do just fine until you find the perfect rim for you. Just grab a set of tyres otherwise.

The biggest impact to you is most likely going to be the coilovers as they will dramatically chance the ride. Audio coming in second since you will always be listening to it, lastly wheels since you can't see them when your driving... although I'm sure I'm not the only one who just sits and stares at their car sometimes?... am i?

Mrk_Mickey
29-01-2008, 11:53 AM
You're most definitely not the only one:D

Basically, I know exactly what I want to do to the car. It may change slightly between here and the end of this year when i will have JUST made enough money to do a few good mods (haha woolworths).

Wheels: Atm I'm lookin at these from Tempe Tyres. A family friend knows the owner and can supposedly get me a cracking deal:
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1112/bgdc6charcoalhp0.jpg

System: Ha. Well. I will admit that I have a sub and amp in there at the moment and for a cousin-hook-up it sounds kickass! But, I'm very conscious of my sound and am going to be spending about 1200 on system (mainly for overall quality of sound). I know what I'm saving for, it will be the Kicker KS splits, L7 12" sub and an amp to power it. Sooo if I think about it in reality, this can wait.

Suspension : Unfortunately I'm completely new to the whole suspension side of things..I'd like to get a set of coilovers with adjustable height, and depending on price, adjustable dampers (as i'm told this can soften the harshness of the ride). Also this means I can adjust for future wheel setups, fat people, etc:)

I'd also like to get window tinting, which I will probably have enough money for next week without spending the money I'm getting.

So I guess my real question is, if it will be suspension, would anyone like to suggest anything to me?

99gti
29-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Have you considered rear sway bar? That makes an amazing difference to the handling. You may even be able to do that with new wheels too.

I did coilovers before I did my wheels (a job that's currently in motion). If I had my way again, I'd do it the same way. Coilovers are a great toy for your car but if your on a fairly limited budget I'd sugest doing the sway bar first as it's better bang for your buck.

SoVeReIgN
29-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Not much point getting coilovers if you have ****house tyres! :)

(IMO)

Mrk_Mickey
29-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Have you considered rear sway bar? That makes an amazing difference to the handling. You may even be able to do that with new wheels too.
.......if your on a fairly limited budget I'd sugest doing the sway bar first as it's better bang for your buck.
This makes me realise my reason for buying coilovers. I really just want the car to sit much lower and be able to adjust it if wheels change. Of course, being suspension, the added handling is a big bonus. I don't want to waste money on lowering the car with springs if all I'm going to do is eventually want better suspension.

Not much point getting coilovers if you have ****house tyres! :)

(IMO)
your opinion is basically a fact..new suspension so you can push your car more, lousy tread so you in fact can't push it that bit extra. They weigh each other out.

MattyT
29-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I have ****house tires, but even so my coilovers have totally transformed the cars handling. I have a 20mm rear sway bar too, but methinks that needs to go up to 25mm.

Window tint is NICE but not essential. You'll get more fun out of coilovers :D

Good tunes are good. Clarion and Alpine make the best headunits, audison or pheonix gold for amps, focal, morel, dynaudio or hertz for speakers.

Those rims arent my thing, I'd be going more SSR Type C's.

Golf Houso
29-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Fix all the mechanical problems first ie. your dodgy shifter and anything else for that matter first before considering anything else. You don't want to be stuck out poor and an un-drivable car when something like a hall sensor goes or something equally horrible.

Have a look around for wheels, post up a wanted thread for 17's or something or look at Big O's in moorebank if your up for the drive, they get like 10 sets of second hand rims a week at least...

Mrk_Mickey
30-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Everything's being sorted tomorrow Branko:) I mean, the mechanic will be checking over the engine and telling me what needs fixing if it needs it. It shouldn't though, cause he ''checked'' it last week and hasn't been driven since.
On that note, I have decided that I'm being too picky about the gearbox..It's done lots of k's and to be honest, doesn't need anything fixed. Could be tighter which I might look at soon anyway.

I've decided I should go coilovers. Stereo can wait, tinting can wait, wheels aren't even needed because if I stinge on it I'll be unhappy, and besides I'm warming to the idea of my stockies:)

rayray086
30-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Good choice. The way I see it, if your AC is working, screw the tinting. You've got a MASSIVE sub and a decent amp powering things so sound is pretty much sorted! And the stock wheels look a treat when re-sprayed (DIY satin black spray cans work a treat).

On the note of coilovers: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-new-VW-golf-2-3-coilovers-lowers-20-120mm_W0QQitemZ190194355541QQihZ009QQcategoryZ5543 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seller is on the forums too. Otherwise if you want to spend less, investing in a good quality shock and spring combo works wonders. I only changed cos I wanted to go lower for looks :P

Mrk_Mickey
30-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Wait a minute..Buy it now price is $600, for full set of coilovers with adjustable height. Spend less for spring/shock combo when these are adjustable height? Umm...I'm happy with that if they're any good!!

.....Are they any good, Ray??

rayray086
30-01-2008, 08:31 AM
It's second-hand I suppose?

gpk_gti
30-01-2008, 08:36 AM
contact evorobin here!

Mrk_Mickey
30-01-2008, 08:05 PM
It says brand new in the thing. No idea on brand or anything, I wanna do more research.

Spoke to him, he's got the same pair on his.

Mrk_Mickey
06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Ok, after a few options presented, I've basically decided that I'll spend my money on a set of coilovers, and chuck the rest of it on my stereo lay-by or something j:

As for coilovers, the big question is the brand. I'm liking the sound of the Bilstein PSS and the KW V1's because they are both in price range and seem quite good. They're a reputable brand too which is what I am looking for. I've heard a lot about Koni's but haven't looked yet.

Has anyone tried either of these two set-ups? Could anyone recommend any of them? Also where should I go for the best prices?

Cheers guys

DubSteve
06-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Nice choice both two coilovers are very good, and which ever you choose I am sure that you will choose the right one, that being said I have heard good things about the Bilstein! Have you considered H&R at all?

Mrk_Mickey
06-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes! Sorry I forgot to mention those, I have considered them, but I don't actually know much about them!! For Bilstein and H&R, whereabouts should I look? I know KW can be had in Aus, that's it

Edit: Although I have considered H&R, I've actually read once or twice that they are more average than bilstein or kw..

gpk_gti
06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
bilstein supply the shocks for h&r from what ive heard....h&r is one of the largest suppliers/manufacturers of springs in the world with big sponsorship of motorsport.check their website.if they were not good enough would they sell so many???

ring milan and discuss any h&r questions with him. tcca motorsport 94363668.

DubSteve
06-02-2008, 05:51 PM
For BIlsteins speak to the guys at Heasemans at St Peters big store can't miss it!

Mrk_Mickey
07-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Is there a number/site for them?

Also who should I speak to for KW