PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know you!

The_Hawk
28-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I spend 4 hours this afternoon getting up close and personal with baby.

I got some Meguiars clay for Christmas, something I have been meaning to get myself anyway, so I thought it was time to give it a bash today.

The paint on the roof is pretty ordinary so I went out looking for something to help with that. AutoBarn didn't have any of the AutoGlym I would have otherwise bought left in stock but they did have the Meguairs ScratchX:
http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-paint-cleaners/ScratchX

A wash and dry had the car looking respectable, then onto the clay bar. What can I say about the clay bar process... it's tedious, very tedious. BUT! It did work quite well and you could see the gunk that was being picked up. It did improve the look of the car, but being relatively clean anyway, it's not a dramatic difference to the eye, however you can feel it. I even had the father in law who happened to wander past feel the difference to ensure it wasn't just wishful thinking on my part. It really is quite amazing.

Next the ScratchX on the roof. It goes on like normal polish. I did half the roof and compared, yes there was a difference, but not as much as I was hoping for. I finished off the other half and whipped out the tried and true Auto Glym Resin Polish and went over the roof to finish it off. Again half at a time and yes there was a difference, but not a lot.

Then it was 8pm... so I have moved the car back to the garage and will complete it tomorrow. Start to finish I think the ScratchX + Auto Glym Resin Polish made a 15-20% improvement in the roof. Worthwhile, but not amazing. Looks like I will have to hunt down a professional detailer and get them to have a look see and recommend a course of action. If they can fix it up, great, otherwise a trip to the paint shop may be in my future...

Jmac
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Mate a good detailer with a buff who knows how to use it with the right grade of Farcela this is great gear mate.
Jmac;)

gpk_gti
07-03-2008, 08:36 PM
finish with autoglym final coat,which is a wipe on off process,not buff.petroleum based.that stuff is the dogs bollocks! lasts for about 3 months and really makes a hard protective coat.