PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 2007 and 2008

harks11
28-01-2008, 04:24 PM
After a very nice test drive of a 2007 build TDI V6 I was told the new one coming has more power. I checked a few sites on the net and am a little confused. Can some one clarify what is a "T2". Also what model do we have in Australia. Its seems like we are a year behind.
Are there many changes in the 2008 model due in March (according to the dealer)

Thanks

T Rex
28-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi. I have just ordered a 2008 T2. As far as I know only difference is 176Kw (vs 165) and 550 NM (vs 500). Lots of info on the web when T2 was launched. Cheers

Moonan
29-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi and welcome,
So you enjoyed the test drive - huh? Get used to that feeling, it doesn't go away. The Touareg is an incredible machine...

Now to answer your question, I hope I can help...
The original Touareg dates back to 2003 for its first release, although there are not many around older than late 2004...
There has been a "facelift" model Touareg released - in 2007. This has subtle but identifiable differences in body trim (most noticably the headlights which have a "scalloped" shape at the bottom) and is known generally as T2. There are also many other small differences.
So, the 2007 Touareg you test drove is probably a T2 anyway.
As far as the V6TDI engine is concerned, new ones (2008 build) have more power and torque as T Rex quoted. The existing one is awesome (as you have found out) and so you'd be pretty impressed to get a new one!

In Australia we get (as the rest of the world) the T2, and have the choice of 3 diesel engines or a petrol V6. From this point of view there are no particular changes for 2008, apart from some minor fddling with trim levels and price points (AFAIK). The VW Australia website can give you the details of what is included in each.

For everything you want to know about the Touareg and some things you don't, hunt atound this site or clubtouareg.com - or just ask more questions...

..cheers

dmm_au
29-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Excellent reply Neil. If we had a FAQ, I recokon this should be in it.

harks11
29-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks, a complete answer. I am 99% over the line. Just waiting for a few quotes. The older 2007(compliance 08) unit has a little better price than the other, so I was keen to understand the differences. A few kw here or there will not make too much difference to me.... but we will see..

dmm_au
29-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks, a complete answer. I am 99% over the line. Just waiting for a few quotes. The older 2007(compliance 08) unit has a little better price than the other, so I was keen to understand the differences. A few kw here or there will not make too much difference to me.... but we will see..

Actually, as Neil says check the forums, but I think you'll find that the 2300 parts that have changed between T1 and T2 are more than superficial changes (headlights for example).

I've not driven a T2 (but I have ordered one), so I can't confirm first hand.

Flipper Dog
29-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Hello Harks
The main visual identification between the Touareg and "T2" you can see below.

The front styling has changed and the rear has "smoked" tail lights. Better side mirrors were included and the alloy wheels changed. Inside there is little difference apart from the MFD and improved seating.
2300 new parts were included but Australia does not see all of these changes.
Most will agree that the new or Touareg 2 is now a better vehicle than the fantastic first released vehicle, however Volkswagen Australia in keeping the pricing down has now removed the front fog lights (and everyone is still wondering why!). The facelift or Touareg 2 was released in Europe at the end of 2006 and arrived in Australia officially July 2007 however some of us obtained our vehicles several months prior to that. :)
Volkswagen Wolfsburg announced on 16th November 2007 that the V6TDI engine would now be updated with 10% more power (165kw to 176kw and 500nm to 550nm) which would increase performance and reduce consumption for vehicles produced from 5th November 2007 (week 45 of production), Volkswagen Australia confirmed this but also stated no other changes would be made including pricing. The updated V6 TDI included revised turning but also modifications to some engine parts and the cooling system (so not a power chip only).

I have noticed that all facelift Touareg (T2) are still close to the released price so I could only guess but I would say if you are offered some great deal on a V6 TDI it would be a 2006 build date pre facelift model. My build date is February 2007 and one of the first to arrive in Australia as a facelift T2.

Other information you may have seen relate to the north American (US) model Touareg. This was released in July 2007 as the T2 2007/2008 year model as the Americans like to give their vehicles a year life in accordance with the financial year (July to June).

I hope this and the information Neil supplied will help you in a purchase of a new Touareg, good luck and we will be happy to welcome you in a new driver. :)

Flipper Dog

harks11
29-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks, this one is an October 07 build with a January 08 compliance plate, so I think that is a T2 by all the posts.
The demo I tested was a sept/dec, so if it is as good as that I will be very please.

T Rex
30-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Hello Harks
The main visual identification between the Touareg and "T2" you can see below.

The front styling has changed and the rear has "smoked" tail lights. Better side mirrors were included and the alloy wheels changed. Inside there is little difference apart from the MFD and improved seating.
2300 new parts were included but Australia does not see all of these changes.
Most will agree that the new or Touareg 2 is now a better vehicle than the fantastic first released vehicle, however Volkswagen Australia in keeping the pricing down has now removed the front fog lights (and everyone is still wondering why!). The facelift or Touareg 2 was released in Europe at the end of 2006 and arrived in Australia officially July 2007 however some of us obtained our vehicles several months prior to that. :)
Volkswagen Wolfsburg announced on 16th November 2007 that the V6TDI engine would now be updated with 10% more power (165kw to 176kw and 500nm to 550nm) which would increase performance and reduce consumption for vehicles produced from 5th November 2007 (week 45 of production), Volkswagen Australia confirmed this but also stated no other changes would be made including pricing. The updated V6 TDI included revised turning but also modifications to some engine parts and the cooling system (so not a power chip only).

I have noticed that all facelift Touareg (T2) are still close to the released price so I could only guess but I would say if you are offered some great deal on a V6 TDI it would be a 2006 build date pre facelift model. My build date is February 2007 and one of the first to arrive in Australia as a facelift T2.

Other information you may have seen relate to the north American (US) model Touareg. This was released in July 2007 as the T2 2007/2008 year model as the Americans like to give their vehicles a year life in accordance with the financial year (July to June).

I hope this and the information Neil supplied will help you in a purchase of a new Touareg, good luck and we will be happy to welcome you in a new driver. :)

Flipper Dog

Good point about the fog lights. Last week I had the opportunity to buy a brand new T2 in stock - had everything I needed except fog lights. I am glad I asked the dealer about the cost of retro fitting fog lights - he said that they had done it for one customer and the parts alone were over $2000! (Compared to $490 when ordered). I live in the mountains west of Sydney and fog lights are a must - yes, even when Xenons are fitted. That's why I ordered one from the factory instead.(only 3 months to go...)

So, the motto is, if you even think you might need foglights order them with your Touareg.

tezza
10-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Hey guys and thank you to all who contribute to these forums.

As a new owner to be of a 2008 V6 TDI Touareg I am most grateful for eveyones comments.

I have a question however that I cannot seem to find an answer for in Australia.

We have ordered with the RNS510 Sat Nav and Air suspension but what I am trying to ascertain, is the MFD the colour version as available in Europe, the USA also on the R50 and V10 or just the standard RED LED version?

The sales consultants at VW Australia do not seem to know what I am talking about??????

Any ideas guys

Thanks

Tezza

dmm_au
10-04-2008, 05:38 PM
I have a new 2008 T2.
The MFD is red on mine.
Most of the console lighting is red, but some of it is blue.

VW_SERVICE_MGR
10-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi,

You will find the MFD display in the dash is colour to some degree but alot better than the nomal red display.

This link leads to a PDF file of the sat nav.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36318

Flipper Dog
10-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey guys and thank you to all who contribute to these forums.

As a new owner to be of a 2008 V6 TDI Touareg I am most grateful for eveyones comments.

I have a question however that I cannot seem to find an answer for in Australia.

We have ordered with the RNS510 Sat Nav and Air suspension but what I am trying to ascertain, is the MFD the colour version as available in Europe, the USA also on the R50 and V10 or just the standard RED LED version?

The sales consultants at VW Australia do not seem to know what I am talking about??????

Any ideas guys

Thanks

Tezza

Tezza,
if you order the air suspension or the Sat Nav the MFD will be the colour one as you will see in the V10/R50, as these vehicles have air as standard. The display is slightly bigger than the standard (red one) and provides more information like navigation guides (if you get nav) and current digital speed display. The information currently displayed under the taco/speedo (date/time and kms/milage) is also moved to the main MFD screen.
This is factory fitted so the dealers don't have a say in the configeration.

barefoot
11-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Wot Da!!!!

$2000 more for touareg!!!!, isn't the unit exactly the same?
cheers