PDA

View Full Version : Monterey wheels with R-Line package

AzzaC
14-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Hi All,

Currently looking at getting a MY18 Passat wagon. We've taken the standard Comfortline wagon for a test drive and it was great. We were initially really interested in the Luxury package although not fussed about the sunroof, but after seeing the sunroof am not keen on the design so that option is gone.

However the other thing that caught our eye is the overall look of the R-Line package and the active info display. Our only reservation is the ride on the 18" wheels, and unfortunately we can't find a dealer with an R-Line package available (either sedan or wagon) that we can test drive.

Hoping there may be some members out there who've driven both the 17" and 18" and can provide some personal comments?

Thanks!

zzc2010
14-05-2018, 05:45 PM
If you want comfy.

Got a 206 with ACC.

Otherwise down sizing the wheels as much as possible. Even 16” I would say yes.

Currently running on 19”.

I can only say it’s horrible regarding ride comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ope126
14-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Hi All,

Currently looking at getting a MY18 Passat wagon. We've taken the standard Comfortline wagon for a test drive and it was great. We were initially really interested in the Luxury package although not fussed about the sunroof, but after seeing the sunroof am not keen on the design so that option is gone.

However the other thing that caught our eye is the overall look of the R-Line package and the active info display. Our only reservation is the ride on the 18" wheels, and unfortunately we can't find a dealer with an R-Line package available (either sedan or wagon) that we can test drive.

Hoping there may be some members out there who've driven both the 17" and 18" and can provide some personal comments?

Thanks!

Hi AzzaC,

For reference, the following make up the Passat Model range in OZ atm;

132TSI
132TSI Comfortline
140TDI Highline
206TSI R-Line
(all available in sedan and wagon)

So your comment about taking a "standard Comfortline" Wagon for a Test Drive refers to a 132TSI Comfortline which comes with 17" London Alloy Wheels (215/55R17).
The Luxury is worth its weight for the LED Headlights in all honesty!!!
As for the Panoramic Sunroof, well I guess that is just part of the package and each to there own.

The R-Line Package used to come with 19" Verona Alloy Wheels (235/40R19), but they have now dropped to 18" Monteray Wheels (235/45R18) (most likely due to harsh ride).

As mentioned, the 206TSI R-Line has ACC and that would help.

The 140TDI Highline has 18" Dartford Wheels and the ride is fine.

There are no 16" wheel options available locally.

The Active Info Display is great!!! (although I do not have it)...

doc_777
14-05-2018, 07:59 PM
My wife has a comfortline on 17’s. My Alltrack Wolfsburg is on 19’s. Hers rides much better. Am supposing the 18’s would be somewhere in the middle...?

AzzaC
14-05-2018, 09:55 PM
So your comment about taking a "standard Comfortline" Wagon for a Test Drive refers to a 132TSI Comfortline which comes with 17" London Alloy Wheels (215/55R17)

Yes, sorry if I didn't make that clear. Test drive vehicle was 'Standard' as in the 132TSI Comfortline that was not optioned with any packages.

I really do want the LED headlights in the luxury pack, but the other half took one look at the sunroof and gave it a big no because of the blind rather than a 'hard-type' cover. I guess I'm not convincing enough!

Main interest in the R-Line package is the active display, but can live with the 18's if the ride's not too harsh for the family. If only there was a package that included the display and the LED's...

zzc2010
14-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Yes, sorry if I didn't make that clear. Test drive vehicle was 'Standard' as in the 132TSI Comfortline that was not optioned with any packages.

I really do want the LED headlights in the luxury pack, but the other half took one look at the sunroof and gave it a big no because of the blind rather than a 'hard-type' cover. I guess I'm not convincing enough!

Main interest in the R-Line package is the active display, but can live with the 18's if the ride's not too harsh for the family. If only there was a package that included the display and the LED's...

If you opt R-line with Lux Pack. The blind will be black.

It’s not bad under the Australian sun.

The sunroof is massive and a beauty.

18” is still kinda harsh. Lower the tyre pressure little bit if you prefer more comfort.

R-line sport suspension does firm all the rides tho.

Pete the Pomme
15-05-2018, 10:30 AM
I have an MY18 206 with the 19" wheels and love the ride quality.
Sport mode crashes about on Sydney's crappy roads but Normal mode is a perfect combination of firmness and compliance. I'm not a fan of Comfort mode as it's too soft for me but if you're after a luxury feel then you'll like it.
Worst think about the 19" Verona wheels is keeping them clean! Too many tight gaps collecting brake dust

zzc2010
15-05-2018, 11:25 AM
I have an MY18 206 with the 19" wheels and love the ride quality.
Sport mode crashes about on Sydney's crappy roads but Normal mode is a perfect combination of firmness and compliance. I'm not a fan of Comfort mode as it's too soft for me but if you're after a luxury feel then you'll like it.
Worst think about the 19" Verona wheels is keeping them clean! Too many tight gaps collecting brake dust

ACC is definitely doing the job.

However, I think they are talking more about the steel suspension.

Cleaning the 19”s is a tough job!

AzzaC
15-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far.

Although the R-Line package doesn't have the adaptive chassis, might see if there's a 206 and try in comfort (to mimic the 18's?) and normal modes. If I can live with either then the 18's should be fine.

Kachingg
15-05-2018, 03:23 PM

I have a golf alltrack which i have fitted with 19 inch rims with 235/35 tyres ride is firm but ok to me if i had adaptive dampers would be fine on comfort when tooling family around so if you can get them 18,s will be no issue for your wife then you can go sport when alone :)

Oh as for the L.E.D headlights its a absolute must have 1000% better than halogen lights the highbeam is just unbelievable so bright and clear i can see kangaroos miles before i get to them
They are so bright i get reflections off road signs in the middle of the day when i am flashing other cars to warn about a speed camera

The active info display is also a must have i just love mine
Sooo much better than analog dials and so easy to customize to your personal preference plus you can change the dash through obd 11 if you wish i had mine changed to the golf R dash much nicer than the standard alltrack one

Don't pass up the dynaudio if it is a option and you like your music it's a really really good system crisp and clear all the way to pain threshold levels have not been able to get distortion in it at all

Now to my real reason i am making this post :)

If you order your car from the factory you can delete the sunroof (you still have to pay for the pack but they will build it without the roof if you wish) Problem solved

Good luck with the wife

Jondalar
15-05-2018, 04:17 PM
It's worth noting that the R-line package is more than just wheels, the suspension is also lowered which will probably have more effect than 18 in wheels. Lowered suspensions have to be firmer unless adaptive. Ride with Adaptive Suspension is very good with 19's on my Alltrack Wolfsburg, to me far better ride and handling package than the Comfortline 132 which to me didn't handle well. (Too soft).

ope126
15-05-2018, 04:55 PM
It's worth noting that the R-line package is more than just wheels, the suspension is also lowered which will probably have more effect than 18 in wheels. Lowered suspensions have to be firmer unless adaptive. Ride with Adaptive Suspension is very good with 19's on my Alltrack Wolfsburg, to me far better ride and handling package than the Comfortline 132 which to me didn't handle well. (Too soft).

Luxury Package

LED headlights for high and low beam with dynamic cornering lights, integrated
LED daytime driving lights, automatic self- levelling, headlight cleaning system and
low washer fluid warning
Panoramic glass sunroof, electrically slide and tilt adjustable with integrated wind
deflector and sunblind (Sedan)
Panoramic glass sunroof, electrically slide and tilt adjustable front half section with
electrically operated (perforated) sunblind and integrated wind deflector (Wagon)
LED ambient lighting in driver and front passenger foot well, front and rear door
decorative inlays, door openers and handles
Park Assist, parking bay and parallel parking assistance*
Luggage net

R-Line Package

Alloy wheels (Monterey) 18 x 8” with 235/45 R18 mobility tyres
Active Info Display, 12.3" high resolution TFT dash display screen with customisable
menus and information
Aluminium finish accelerator and brake pedals
Aluminium finish front and rear door scuff plates
Black headlining and pillar trim
Dark tinted rear side window and rear window glass, 65% light absorbing
Decorative inlays, ‘Piano Black’ instrument surround, centre console
Decorative inserts, ‘Black Lead Grey’ for dashboard and door trim panels (Comfortline)
Decorative aluminium inserts, 'Silver Rise' for dashboard and door trim panels (Highline)
3 spoke leather covered flat bottomed sports steering wheel with brushed
aluminium inserts, decorative stitching and R-Line badge
Steering wheel mounted gearshift paddles
Progressive steering
R-Line badge in radiator grille
R-Line front bumper with front spoiler and large lower air intake
R-Line side sill extensions
R-Line rear bumper with trapezoidal exhaust trims left and right
Rear roof spoiler with black aerodynamic extensions (Wagon)
Sports suspension, lowered approximately 15mm
Sport front seats in Carbon Nappa leather appointed seat upholstery# with R-Line
logo and decorative stitching
Carpet mats, front and rear with decorative stitching

Please note: The Passat Wagon Easy Open feature is not included in combination with the optional
R-Line package.

Passerati
15-05-2018, 10:58 PM
I have a MY16 140TDI Highline R-Line with 18” Monterrey’s.
Before my purchase I did test drive a 132TSI with R-Line package that had 19” Verona mags and to be honest, I didn’t feel much difference.

AzzaC
23-05-2018, 07:08 PM
So after discussing options with the dealer last week it just so happened an as yet unassigned Comfortline with R-Line package was arriving in a few days. They were happy for me to negotiate a contract, subject to being satisfied with a test drive, so that they could get the car into the dealership. It also happened to be in the colour we wanted as well (to make sure we weren't being given a 'story' to sell old stock I called another dealer who gave the same info regarding a Passat due to arrive), so win-win.

Vehicle arrived today and took it for a drive, and I'll get the keys next week :cool:

Thanks again all for your input.

Pete the Pomme
24-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Apart from the engine, what's the difference between a Comfortline with R-Line package and a 206TSI?

Congrats on the purchase, you'll love it, I'm sure :cool:

5paul0
24-05-2018, 02:10 PM
All wheel drive perhaps

zzc2010
24-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Apart from the engine, what's the difference between a Comfortline with R-Line package and a 206TSI?

Congrats on the purchase, you'll love it, I'm sure :cool:

The taillights are different.

No ACC on comfortline.

Less chromed interiors.

Fake exhaust tips.