PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive Lane Guidance

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Hi,

My car came standard with Adaptive Lane Guidance activated but it was turned off. I've tried it a few times now and every time I end up turning it off again. Without the adaptive feature active it gently nudges the wheel when you get too close to the sides of the lane and mostly leaves the steering wheel alone. In adaptive mode mine seems to weave it's way down the lane first veering to one side of the lane then the other, as if the lanes are not wide enough for it or something.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's happened to me on pretty decent roads such as the M1 / Bruce Hwy to the north of Brisbane.

Thanks,
Karl

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 01:26 PM
Hi,

My car came standard with Adaptive Lane Guidance activated but it was turned off. I've tried it a few times now and every time I end up turning it off again. Without the adaptive feature active it gently nudges the wheel when you get too close to the sides of the lane and mostly leaves the steering wheel alone. In adaptive mode mine seems to weave it's way down the lane first veering to one side of the lane then the other, as if the lanes are not wide enough for it or something.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's happened to me on pretty decent roads such as the M1 / Bruce Hwy to the north of Brisbane.

Thanks,
Karl

MY18?

You loss TJA if you disable ALG.

Nothing is perfect regarding how ALG and ACC are performing.

That’s how it is.

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Yeah MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg. No TJA in these yet. Pretty happy with ACC and normal lane assist just not the ALG.

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 01:56 PM
Yeah MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg. No TJA in these yet. Pretty happy with ACC and normal lane assist just not the ALG.

MY18 all comes with TJA

You need to enable ALG to use ACC at low speeds.

Pete the Pomme
30-04-2018, 02:03 PM
No problem with mine, even on roads with only a centre line and the pavement on the left.

I just wish it didn't tell me to put my hand back on the wheel after a couple of minutes, it'd drive itself then :P

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 02:04 PM
MY18 all comes with TJA

You need to enable ALG to use ACC at low speeds.

Nope it doesn't, as per brochure and actually driving it has no TJA. Also wrong about ACC, it is fine with slowing to a stop and commencing again with a tap on the accelerator with ALG turned off. TJA is an option on Golf 7.5 but has not come to Passat yet.

From the brochure:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is an extension of the conventional cruise control system
with advanced capabilities based on a radar sensor. When ACC is activated, the vehicle
automatically brakes and accelerates to a speed and distance set by the driver.
If the Passat approaches a slower vehicle, the ACC brakes the car to the same speed and
maintains the pre-selected distance. Even when a vehicle pulls into the same lane in front
of you or slows, your vehicle is automatically decelerated to the pre-selected distance.
If the vehicle ahead moves out of your lane, the Passat then accelerates up to the preset
desired speed.
Deceleration of the vehicle may take place via intervention in the engine management
system. If deceleration via engine torque is not sufficient, brake intervention takes
place, braking the vehicle to a standstill if the traffic situation necessitates in vehicles
equipped with a DSG transmission. ACC can be reactivated automatically by depressing the
accelerator pedal. In vehicles fitted with a manual transmission, the system is automatically
deactivated at speeds below 30 km/h and the driver is prompted to take charge by visual
and acoustic signals.
The dynamics of the ACC system can by individually varied by selecting one of the driving
programs from the driver profile selector also available as part of the driver assistance
package.

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Nope it doesn't, as per brochure and actually driving it has no TJA. Also wrong about ACC, it is fine with slowing to a stop and commencing again with a tap on the accelerator with ALG turned off. TJA is an option on Golf 7.5 but has not come to Passat yet.

From the brochure:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is an extension of the conventional cruise control system
with advanced capabilities based on a radar sensor. When ACC is activated, the vehicle
automatically brakes and accelerates to a speed and distance set by the driver.
If the Passat approaches a slower vehicle, the ACC brakes the car to the same speed and
maintains the pre-selected distance. Even when a vehicle pulls into the same lane in front
of you or slows, your vehicle is automatically decelerated to the pre-selected distance.
If the vehicle ahead moves out of your lane, the Passat then accelerates up to the preset
desired speed.
Deceleration of the vehicle may take place via intervention in the engine management
system. If deceleration via engine torque is not sufficient, brake intervention takes
place, braking the vehicle to a standstill if the traffic situation necessitates in vehicles
equipped with a DSG transmission. ACC can be reactivated automatically by depressing the
accelerator pedal. In vehicles fitted with a manual transmission, the system is automatically
deactivated at speeds below 30 km/h and the driver is prompted to take charge by visual
and acoustic signals.
The dynamics of the ACC system can by individually varied by selecting one of the driving
programs from the driver profile selector also available as part of the driver assistance
package.

Interesting.

You may check the PDF SPEC of Passat from VW website.

If yours doesn’t come with it, unfortunate mate.

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Well I've downloaded the specs for the Passat sedan and Alltrack wagon from VW Australia, nothing in either about Traffic Jam Assist.

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Well I've downloaded the specs for the Passat sedan and Alltrack wagon from VW Australia, nothing in either about Traffic Jam Assist.

[emoji23]

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 03:53 PM

Just checked.

VW updated The SPECs recently.

No TJA info anymore.

Probably they left TJA for Arteon and Rs only now.

No ideas.

Really sorry if you don’t have it mate.

Try activating ACC when you drive under 60KM/H with ALG enabled.

If the car follows front car, you have TJA.

Tried TJA with MY18 Passat for replacement when my car got serviced.

doc_777
30-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Just checked.

VW updated The SPECs recently.

No TJA info anymore.

Probably they left TJA for Arteon and Rs only now.

No ideas.

Really sorry if you don’t have it mate.

Try activating ACC when you drive under 60KM/H with ALG enabled.

If the car follows front car, you have TJA.

Tried TJA with MY18 Passat for replacement when my car got serviced.

ACC will take the car down to zero km/h, and will accelerate away again if the vehicle in front moves within the short timeframe reqd by the system - that is not TJA, that is just the way ACC works.

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 05:15 PM
ACC will take the car down to zero km/h, and will accelerate away again if the vehicle in front moves within the short timeframe reqd by the system - that is not TJA, that is just the way ACC works.

What I mean was whether ACC will work at lower speed as well as the lane assist ALG.

You can’t set ACC speed lower than 60 (can’t remember exactly) if you don’t have TJA.

Anything lower than 60 with ALG is TJA

doc_777
30-04-2018, 05:24 PM
What I mean was whether ACC will work at lower speed as well as the lane assist ALG.

You can’t set ACC speed lower than 60 (can’t remember exactly) if you don’t have TJA.

Anything lower than 60 with ALG is TJA

yes, you can set ACC speed lower that 60 - works on both our cars. ALG drops out below 60 on both our cars. Neither mine, nor my wife’s cars have TJA.

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 05:25 PM
yes, you can set ACC speed lower that 60 - works on both our cars. ALG drops out below 60 on both our cars. Neither mine, nor my wife’s cars have TJA.

Below 40 then maybe.

doc_777
30-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Below 40 then maybe.

ive seen 32km/h on mine once, when I was lazy, pulling away from the lights I decided just to accelerate using cruise....hit the ‘set’ button, then used the increase button to bring it up to the speed limit. Just happened that I was doing 32km/h when I hit the set button.

I have not read anything in any of the user manuals to indicate that there is a difference “minimum set speed” for ACC and TJA. I just can’t be bothered walking out to the car and reading the manual.

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 05:35 PM
ive seen 32km/h on mine once, when I was lazy, pulling away from the lights I decided just to accelerate using cruise....hit the ‘set’ button, then used the increase button to bring it up to the speed limit. Just happened that I was doing 32km/h when I hit the set button.

I have not read anything in any of the user manuals to indicate that there is a difference “minimum set speed” for ACC and TJA. I just can’t be bothered walking out to the car and reading the manual.

Interesting to know

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 05:41 PM
I'll check it out on the way home, but I stand by my earlier statement that TJA has not been available on Passat in Australia yet.

doc_777
30-04-2018, 05:52 PM
I'll check it out on the way home, but I stand by my earlier statement that TJA has not been available on Passat in Australia yet.

I agree with that statement.

Jap
30-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Hi,

Thanks,
Karl
Look in your settings under lane assist, do you have a drop down box with early medium late under lane guidance? If so try changing that to early, I had this problem when it was set at medium from factory, under early it feels better but still does it a little, and seems to be late turning into bends,

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Interesting to know

I tried on the way home. ACC can be set as low as 30 km/hr whether ALG is on or off. No change in ACC behaviour between ALG on or off.

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 08:35 PM
I tried on the way home. ACC can be set as low as 30 km/hr whether ALG is on or off. No change in ACC behaviour between ALG on or off.

You mean you can use ACC at 30/h?

Are there any cars at the front?

If you turned off ALG, I don’t know how your car was able to maintain in the lanes.

Your car would slip out of the lanes like encountering lane assist?

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 08:43 PM

Can’t disagree with it anymore as I’m using it nearly every day.

[emoji23]

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 08:44 PM
You mean you can use ACC at 30/h?

Are there any cars at the front?

If you turned off ALG, I don’t know how your car was able to maintain in the lanes.

Your car would slip out of the lanes like encountering lane assist?

I think you are confused. ACC doesn't steer the car at all

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Can’t disagree with it anymore as I’m using it nearly every day.

[emoji23]

What car do you have and where?

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 08:46 PM
What car do you have and where?

Passat man.

In Sydney.

Which world you talking about?

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Passat man.

In Sydney.

Which world you talking about?

Passat what? You seem rather troll like. None of this is relevant to the question I asked.

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 09:05 PM
Passat what? You seem rather troll like. None of this is relevant to the question I asked.

206 if you want it.

Seriously, if you doubt what I’m telling you. It’s ok. Be with it.

There are plenty of TJA infos in this VWWatercool forum. In fact, it probably has the most infos of TJA on the Internet.

Go read thro the topics and you will learn how TJA has been investigated out.

Keep peace and kind in mind always.

dArK5HaD0w
30-04-2018, 09:59 PM
being the same parts bin and tech as the Passat, this from the manual of my Superb (MY17).....

what ACC can do:-

Infotainment Setting for Lane Assist (LA) and Adaptive Lane Guidance (ALG):-

Lane Assist Limitation:-

Adaptive Lane Guidance (ALG):-

ALG Conditions:-

Traffic Jam Assist (TJA):-

zzc2010
30-04-2018, 11:38 PM
being the same parts bin and tech as the Passat, this from the manual of my Superb (MY17).....

Thanks!

There we go.

The speed game again everyone.

It's the up or below 65km/h

Jondalar
01-05-2018, 07:13 AM
Look in your settings under lane assist, do you have a drop down box with early medium late under lane guidance? If so try changing that to early, I had this problem when it was set at medium from factory, under early it feels better but still does it a little, and seems to be late turning into bends,

I am pretty sure I only have on or off for ALG, under driver assistance from the vehicle settings. Is that how you get to it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jondalar
01-05-2018, 07:17 AM

Thanks, I am aware of how TJA works as it was a major reason for considering a superb since it's not available on Passat. I am however happy with the new ACC that can stop and start with traffic, don't need self steering. Based on the above it seems maybe my ALG needs checking due to the constant weaving.

Cheers
Karl

dArK5HaD0w
01-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Based on the above it seems maybe my ALG needs checking due to the constant weaving.

i'm assuming u have both "Lane Assist" and "Adaptive Land Guidance" options ticked/active/on in your Infotainment settings.

Just_Westy
01-05-2018, 11:45 AM
I had the lane assist and ALG turned on over the weekend and whilst I thought it worked well it wasn't as good as the xc90 kit that I drove around Europe in last year. I decided to turn it off and save it for long distance highway use only.

Having said that the Wolfie has such beautiful steering it would be a shame to dumb it down :)

Jondalar
01-05-2018, 12:09 PM
i'm assuming u have both "Lane Assist" and "Adaptive Land Guidance" options ticked/active/on in your Infotainment settings.

Hi Darkshadow,

The options on my Passat are similar but I don't have the top two lines. I have a line for Lane Departure Assist and below that a line for Adaptive lane guidance. When the ALG is off the car still corrects the steering when speed is over 65 km/hr and the position in the lane gets close to either line marking. The rest of the time it doesn't seem to interfere with the steering. With ALG ON it works similarly but the steering input seems to be constant, you can take your hands off the wheel and the car maintains it's position in the lane, of course complaining after about 13 seconds. What I'm concerned about is that when holding the steering wheel the car moves from one side of the lane to the other very gently, as though is isn't happy about being in the centre. This is without me giving any steering input. The indication for being too close to one side comes on, then goes off and the other comes on.

This is what's in the manual:
and :
Adaptive lane guidance (depending on vehicle equipment)The adaptive lane guidance system detects the preferred position in a lane and keeps the vehicle in this position.
Adaptive lane guidance is switched on and off in the Driver assistance menu in the Infotainment system ⇒ Operation and display in Infotainment system .

System limitsUse the lane keeping system only on motorways and good main roads.
The system is not active under the following conditions:

Vehicle speed is less than 60 km/h (35 mph).

Lane keeping system has not detected any lane markings or lane boundaries.

Cheers,
Karl

Rooboy
01-05-2018, 12:40 PM
If adaptive lane guidance was active and it was weaving down the road I would be a bit concerned since ALG is supposed to learn and replicate your driving style...

Lane assist will bounce from while ALG should keep the vehicle roughly in the centre or where ever you usually place your car. When ALG is active and working (above 60kmh) the road symbol lights up green but reverts to orange below the speed threshold or when it encounters markings it can't read or corners that are too tight.

dArK5HaD0w
01-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Hi Darkshadow,

The options on my Passat are similar but I don't have the top two lines. I have a line for Lane Departure Assist and below that a line for Adaptive lane guidance. When the ALG is off the car still corrects the steering when speed is over 65 km/hr and the position in the lane gets close to either line marking. The rest of the time it doesn't seem to interfere with the steering. With ALG ON it works similarly but the steering input seems to be constant, you can take your hands off the wheel and the car maintains it's position in the lane, of course complaining after about 13 seconds. What I'm concerned about is that when holding the steering wheel the car moves from one side of the lane to the other very gently, as though is isn't happy about being in the centre. This is without me giving any steering input. The indication for being too close to one side comes on, then goes off and the other comes on.

the first two lines are in relation to the Front Assist settings.

yeah, i'm not sure about ur ALG active behaviour.
mine behaves as expected, and is quiet good, even with bending roads, and slow creeping traffic speeds. it will keep the car steady in the lane.

with or without ACC active.
if i have ACC active, ALG will work at any speed. Hence TJA becoming active.
if i don't have ACC active, ALG will only works at speeds above 65 km/h.

Rooboy
01-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Hi Darkshadow,

What I'm concerned about is that when holding the steering wheel the car moves from one side of the lane to the other very gently, as though is isn't happy about being in the centre. This is without me giving any steering input. The indication for being too close to one side comes on, then goes off and the other comes on.

I've noticed that when the road widens a bit before becoming 2 lanes it will try to keep left eg a single lane exit coming off Citylink splits to 2 for upcoming left and right turn lanes - while it gently tugs slightly left I override it by maintaining to steer right.

Pete the Pomme
01-05-2018, 02:40 PM
I have an MY18 206 wagon, below 65km the lane guidance stops working. ACC will operate down to 30km/h and stop-start as long as I'm only stopped for a few seconds (approx 15).

Doesn't appear TJA is in the MY18 206's.

OP:- The lane assist should keep the car in the centre of the lane. If yours is roaming side to side, sounds like it's a trip to the dealership to get it fixed/reset.

Jondalar
01-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Pete you will find that the ACC still works if stopped longer, you will get an ACC ready message and all you need is a gentle press on the accelerator and it's off again under ACC control.

dArK5HaD0w
01-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Pete you will find that the ACC still works if stopped longer, you will get an ACC ready message and all you need is a gentle press on the accelerator and it's off again under ACC control.

With ACC on - if stopped for 3 secs or less, the car will automatically resume/accelerate if the traffic ahead moves on.
otherwise, if stopped for more than 3 secs - as u said, a gentle tap on the accelerator, or pull the cruise control stalk to resume (accelerate).

Jap
01-05-2018, 04:46 PM
Hmm, I may have gone into the coding for the front assist module and changed something to get the different options in the menu with obdeleven

DR074
01-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Thought I had TJA, but didn't.

The below was just the Passat discussion

VCDS/OBDEleven enable traffic jam assist? (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f235/vcds-obdeleven-enable-traffic-jam-assist-119514.html)

Was I bit confusing

Ozsko
01-05-2018, 07:33 PM
I have an MY18 206 wagon, below 65km the lane guidance stops working. ACC will operate down to 30km/h and stop-start as long as I'm only stopped for a few seconds (approx 15).

Doesn't appear TJA is in the MY18 206's.

OP:- The lane assist should keep the car in the centre of the lane. If yours is roaming side to side, sounds like it's a trip to the dealership to get it fixed/reset.

This confuses people, LANE ASSIST is only a warning that the car is getting too close to the lane boundaries, ACTIVE LANE GUIDANCE sometimes called DYNAMIC LANE GUIDANCE actively keeps the car between the lane boundaries. LANE ASSIST causes the car to ping pong between the lines if the driver does not take over control. TJA cannot be had without ALG but can be activated with VCDS, TJA cannot be activated by VCDS alone.

Someone needs to do a video of this as every video now up on YT is wrong, misleading or deficient in explanation.

zzc2010
01-05-2018, 10:42 PM
This confuses people, LANE ASSIST is only a warning that the car is getting too close to the lane boundaries, ACTIVE LANE GUIDANCE sometimes called DYNAMIC LANE GUIDANCE actively keeps the car between the lane boundaries. LANE ASSIST causes the car to ping pong between the lines if the driver does not take over control. TJA cannot be had without ALG but can be activated with VCDS, TJA cannot be activated by VCDS alone.

Someone needs to do a video of this as every video now up on YT is wrong, misleading or deficient in explanation.

They've already concluded as NO TJA IN AUSTRALIA FOR PASSAT.

What will a video do?

Deficient in explanation and understanding

Ozsko
01-05-2018, 11:02 PM
I was not aware that Passats did not have TJA in the current production, Tiguans, Golfs, Skodas etc have it. A video that had all the information surrounding TJA properly explained and shown would at least remove some of the questions surrounding it. Even if Passats do not have TJA activated it can be done by coding in Australia.

dArK5HaD0w
01-05-2018, 11:12 PM
TJA doing it's thing...

Jap
02-05-2018, 05:10 AM
TJA onAID

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/05/67_B19976_8_C47_45_CD_95_A4_94786195740_-1.jpg (https://ibb.co/cPcUKS)

Skoda729
02-05-2018, 11:01 AM
How did you get the speed limit in the dash?

Jondalar
02-05-2018, 11:10 AM

This isn't quite how it's working in my car, with Lane Keeping Assist on the car will self steer away from the lane boundaries when it gets to close i.e. it's not just a warning. There's also the Lane Departure warning where the steering wheel vibrates.

With Adaptive Lane Guidance (that's what it's called in the manual and menu's) the car steers itself constantly, ALG is enabled on MY18 Passats from factory. I find the constant steering annoying, if you are trying to give a semi a wide berth the car fights you for example. The same with trying to leave a bigger gap for a motorcycle approaching from behind.

I've tested this further and decided it only weaves on some roads, single lane it seems ok but on a multi lane like the Bruce Highway leaving Brisbane it does weave if left to it's own devices although it's very gentle and a passenger probably wouldn't even notice.

Cheers,
Karl

Rooboy
02-05-2018, 11:59 AM
How did you get the speed limit in the dash?

Jap is UK based but it can be enabled here via OBDeleven or VCDS.

Skoda729
02-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Jap is UK based but it can be enabled here via OBDeleven or VCDS.

Can you just get the Speed limit from the maps only, or is it only with traffic sign assist turned on.

Pete the Pomme
02-05-2018, 02:34 PM
This isn't quite how it's working in my car, with Lane Keeping Assist on the car will self steer away from the lane boundaries when it gets to close i.e. it's not just a warning. There's also the Lane Departure warning where the steering wheel vibrates.

With Adaptive Lane Guidance (that's what it's called in the manual and menu's) the car steers itself constantly, ALG is enabled on MY18 Passats from factory. I find the constant steering annoying, if you are trying to give a semi a wide berth the car fights you for example. The same with trying to leave a bigger gap for a motorcycle approaching from behind.

I've tested this further and decided it only weaves on some roads, single lane it seems ok but on a multi lane like the Bruce Highway leaving Brisbane it does weave if left to it's own devices although it's very gentle and a passenger probably wouldn't even notice.

Cheers,
Karl

That's exactly how mine works. Until I drop below 65kmh and it turns itself off. Never had mine weave about though.

FarQ
02-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Can you just get the Speed limit from the maps only, or is it only with traffic sign assist turned on.

i'd like that too... since the nav displays the speed limit of the road you are on, would be nice if it displayed that on the dash as well. otherwise you have to rely on the traffic sign recognition mod via obd11 or vcds...

Jondalar
02-05-2018, 03:24 PM
That's exactly how mine works. Until I drop below 65kmh and it turns itself off. Never had mine weave about though.
Well weaving maybe not everyone's description, slow drift could also apply. Say about 20-30 second cycle from side to side.

Jap
02-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Jap is UK based but it can be enabled here via OBDeleven or VCDS. correct, it came with it from factory, as I understand there’s a couple of problems enabling it, 1 is in aus where your off ramp signs are positioned it and 2 if you haven’t got nav pro with the hard drive you haven’t got the speed limit database so you get a error when starting the car

dArK5HaD0w
02-05-2018, 08:09 PM
....you haven’t got nav pro with the hard drive you haven’t got the speed limit database so you get a error when starting the car

the Superbs have a built-in 30gb hdd in the infotainment unit - still get a warning message when TSR is enabled.
the warning message remains for at least a minute, or until the first road sign is recognised.
from what I've heard, its got no issues recognising most of the signs.

Jap
03-05-2018, 02:00 AM
the Superbs have a built-in 30gb hdd in the infotainment unit - still get a warning message when TSR is enabled.
the warning message remains for at least a minute, or until the first road sign is recognised.
from what I've heard, its got no issues recognising most of the signs.have you got it set to road sign detection or road sign fusion? As I understand it detection only sees the signs and tries the error whereas fusion does detection and gps

Ozsko
03-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Cheers,
Karl

Sorry, but that is basically what I meant, it steers away but really has no lane keeping control and I think the ping pong effect is when there is not much camber on the road. Where I live the roads are very heavily cambered and the car will sort of follow the left line but it is not steering the car too well and certainly not ALG in any sense. On a freeway multi lane road the ALG will steer the car perfectly with no tendency to wander in the lane at all but my car is a Tiguan and I wonder if the added height of the camera has some influence there. If I am driving any distance on good roads with little traffic I turn ALG off, if in traffic it goes on and it works well in heavy moving traffic controlling speed, distance and lane placement well. On secondary give and take roads forget it, you will be in the scrub on the first corner unless travelling fairly slowly. A lot will also depend on how good the lane markings are of course.

Jondalar
03-05-2018, 03:42 PM
OK another question / minor irritation. When on a multi lane road and not in the right lane (for example 3 lanes each way and travelling in the left lane, 100km/hr limit) it's perfectly legal to pass slower cars to the right, but the ACC always slows to match the speed of the slower vehicle in the lane to the right. It usually shows a symbol with a car in front and one to the right. I find accelerating manually gets it going back to speed and it then passes OK, but is there a way to prevent this annoying slowing down? Front what I've seen in the manual it's intended behaviour (in some markets)...

Thanks,
Karl

kaiserky
03-05-2018, 04:31 PM
OK another question / minor irritation. When on a multi lane road and not in the right lane (for example 3 lanes each way and travelling in the left lane, 100km/hr limit) it's perfectly legal to pass slower cars to the right, but the ACC always slows to match the speed of the slower vehicle in the lane to the right. It usually shows a symbol with a car in front and one to the right. I find accelerating manually gets it going back to speed and it then passes OK, but is there a way to prevent this annoying slowing down? Front what I've seen in the manual it's intended behaviour (in some markets)...

Thanks,
Karl

you can switch that off using VCDS.

Ky

Jondalar
03-05-2018, 04:33 PM
looks like I've got some searching to do, I've only got OBDEleven though

Ozsko
03-05-2018, 04:37 PM
I have had it happen to me passing someone in the left or slow lane as well, the same as you I just accelerate through it. It happens so infrequently it is not worth the trouble to get someone to disable it TTTT.

Jap
03-05-2018, 04:37 PM
looks like I've got some searching to do, I've only got OBDEleven thoughor you can use obdeleven

acc
long coding
byte 02 (bit 5 ticked)
overtaking_right_prevention set it from active to not active

This if anyone’s is wondering

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/256924_FE_485_F_45_CB_AF5_D_2_A295_D521_-1.jpg (http://ibb.co/euOJrw)

Jondalar
03-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Ahh ok, happens to me at least twice a day, too many right lane hogs around Brisbane

Skoda729
03-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Still wondering if you can get speed limit from map on the dash.
Or if I enable Traffic Sign Assist , and use Fusion mode will it show both somehow.

Jap
03-05-2018, 05:29 PM
Still wondering if you can get speed limit from map on the dash.
Or if I enable Traffic Sign Assist , and use Fusion mode will it show both somehow.
Yes it should, but as said you might get a error

also it’s possible to get it on the heads up display if you have one (I don’t)

Jondalar
04-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Thanks Jap

Rocket36
04-05-2018, 04:12 PM
or you can use obdeleven

acc
long coding
byte 02 (bit 5 ticked)
overtaking_right_prevention set it from active to not active

This if anyone’s is wondering

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/256924_FE_485_F_45_CB_AF5_D_2_A295_D521_-1.jpg (http://ibb.co/euOJrw)

I need this! It wasn't made for 4 lane roads in Melbourne. Also what's the white round circle next to the time?

I think I need to find someone in Melbourne who knows how to re-code things and has the gear to do it. I have NFI.

Rocket36
04-05-2018, 04:17 PM
I was not aware that Passats did not have TJA in the current production, Tiguans, Golfs, Skodas etc have it. A video that had all the information surrounding TJA properly explained and shown would at least remove some of the questions surrounding it. Even if Passats do not have TJA activated it can be done by coding in Australia.

And if you ask, your dealer will do it at the next service.

Rocket36
04-05-2018, 04:20 PM

LANE ASSIST used to "ping pong" for me but then I found the function to make it adaptive. From what I understand, it learns how YOU stay in the lane. I don't ping pong any more.

But I will get ALG and TJA enabled at the dealer when I go in for a service. At 10,000km since January! Eeeek!

zzc2010
05-05-2018, 12:40 AM
LANE ASSIST used to "ping pong" for me but then I found the function to make it adaptive. From what I understand, it learns how YOU stay in the lane. I don't ping pong any more.

But I will get ALG and TJA enabled at the dealer when I go in for a service. At 10,000km since January! Eeeek!

Which Year? MY ?

You are lucky. Such a good dealer.

Is it official or what?

Rocket36
05-05-2018, 09:18 AM
I have a MY18 140TDI Highline with R Line and Luxury packs so it's basically a 2WD diesel R-Line.

Any good dealer will do mods for you if the mods are able to be done and aren't illegal.

zzc2010
05-05-2018, 11:37 PM
I have a MY18 140TDI Highline with R Line and Luxury packs so it's basically a 2WD diesel R-Line.

Any good dealer will do mods for you if the mods are able to be done and aren't illegal.

So they knew what you were talking about? TJA?

Wynnston
06-05-2018, 10:47 PM
My MY17 206 came enabled with ALG but no TJA. Always thought it was weird, interesting to see it's like that in the MY18's

Jondalar
07-05-2018, 09:39 AM

Not in my experience. They wouldn't even enable traffic (TMC) on the GPS.

Rocket36
09-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Not in my experience. They wouldn't even enable traffic on the GPS.

That's more that they probably couldn't rather than wouldn't. Traffic on GPS is stupid in Australia because it requires a subscription to a traffic service. Just use Google Maps. It adjusts nicely for traffic and works well.

Jondalar
09-05-2018, 10:23 AM
It's not like all dealers won't, my wife's Golf had this (TMC on the built in GPS) enabled by the dealer on request. (Different dealer) I've already enable it via OBDEleven, that's one of the easiest mods... Can't use Google maps in car as I am on iOS, traffic is on Apple Maps too but I prefer to have a second opinion...

My point was mainly that you can't really expect a dealer to activate Traffic Jam Assist when it's not an available feature here and there's probably a reason for it...

Ozsko
09-05-2018, 10:36 AM
The dealer who services my car is part of the group that my son works for. We get all our servicing done on the Golf and Tiguan with them and my son knows them very well, is welcome in the workshop etc so he has a better than normal relationship than a normal customer would ever have. They would not or could not because of VWA policy enable TJA in my car and argued the point that they should be allowed to do it. At that time no Tiguan had it in Oz so maybe VWA have changed their policy. Just my experience so take it for what it is worth.

Rocket36
09-05-2018, 02:49 PM
Apple suck! One of the reasons I just switched back to Android is Apple CarPlay.

My point was mainly that you can't really expect a dealer to activate Traffic Jam Assist when it's not an available feature here and there's probably a reason for it...

So we're on the same page here... Traffic Jam Assist is the function where the car holds it's lane and moves at slow speed or stop/start traffic on its own. Not traffic avoidance via GPS.

Jondalar
09-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Apple suck! One of the reasons I just switched back to Android is Apple CarPlay.

So we're on the same page here... Traffic Jam Assist is the function where the car holds it's lane and moves at slow speed or stop/start traffic on its own. Not traffic avoidance via GPS.

OK this is getting confusing, initially I was talking about getting TMC traffic updates on the built in GPS but others seemed to be saying that they would be able to get the dealer to enable Traffic Jam Assist (totally different function I agree). Someone on here was trying to plug a paid service getting TJA enabled in a round about way early in this thread.

As for Apple and Android, have used both, always hated Android, soo inconsistent across devices.

Ozsko
09-05-2018, 03:33 PM

That is a common misconception, what you have described is the function of ACC. TJA is all that PLUS the self steering ability down to zero kph, ACC only self steers above 67 kph. If by holding the lane you mean self steering down to zero then yes you are correct.

Rocket36
11-05-2018, 10:39 AM
WTF else does self steering mean? lol I know what ACC and TJA is.

My post was because it seemed like someone was confusing TJA with something to do with the GPS...

Jondalar
11-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Rocket you misunderstood my post, I was saying if they wouldn't even enable TMC traffic then it was very unlikely they would enable TJA. You should already have ALG enabled on an MY18, at least it is on my Alltrack.

Rocket36
11-05-2018, 01:17 PM
I have ALG and had to get TJA enabled.

TJA is hardware and software already in the car that just needs enabling. Traffic management for congestion etc. is harder as it involved third party providers.

Jondalar
11-05-2018, 01:26 PM
How is it harder? enabling TMC takes 5 seconds with OBDEleven... TJA can't be enabled by OBDEleven or VCDS
Also you talked about getting ALG enabled a couple of pages back on this thread..

Rocket36
11-05-2018, 02:04 PM
*sigh*

Ozsko
11-05-2018, 08:31 PM
WTF

Thanks for the expletive, was it really necessary?

zzc2010
12-05-2018, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the expletive, was it really necessary?

Yes. Thanks