PDA

View Full Version : Drove a new 2.0l GT TDI DSG yesterday ...

DaveMack
26-01-2008, 11:50 AM
... as a 'loaner' while my wee Pog was having the aircon repaired. Admittedly it had less than 1,000ks on the clock when I picked it up (so I didn't feel I could 'hammer it' too much) but I have to say ... I was not terribly impressed.

OK, it doesn't have the immediate punch of a chipped 1.8T engine, but around town I thought the auto box was constantly looking to drop revs by shifting thru to 5th & 6th too soon (leaving a feeling of gutlessness) and lack of immediate response when needed.

I also felt that the interior plastics have declined in quality over the last 2 years.

Clearly, this is an opinion 'piece' and open to discussion. I did think Highway VW's service was Very Good.

Dave

Ben_GTI
26-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I find the 2.0L TDI's in comfortline spec to be quite nice to drive as a cruiser and are great on the highway. I did find around town that I didn't like them that much. See on the highway the 6th gear plus diesel is fantastic as oppose to the GTI sitting almost at 3000rpm.

I don't like the interior of the golfs and I agree the interior plastics aren't getting better. I much prefer the layout of the Polo, except the lack of buttons on the steering wheel.... I wish it had those!!

DaveMack
26-01-2008, 05:21 PM
One other thing that surprised me - the 'supposed' fuel miserliness of the TDI. When I picked the car up it was averaging 5.6l/100kms which I thought was pretty good. But I drove it for a day (not hard, but I live on a hill) and did approx 100kms in it and, at the end of the day, the fuel consumption was 7.8l/100kms ... and that's not a helluva lot less than my Pogo around town.

Dave

TDI Dude
26-01-2008, 07:08 PM
The only thing I will say is that 1,000km of data is not alot for the car to fall back on. I think you'd find the car would be better if it had more km's under its belt.

Ben_GTI
26-01-2008, 10:06 PM
As i said before, the TDI is great on the freeway, but around town with my style of driving the GTI pulls better numbers.

DaveMack
26-01-2008, 10:55 PM
The only thing I will say is that 1,000km of data is not alot for the car to fall back on. I think you'd find the car would be better if it had more km's under its belt.

I'm sure you're right, TDI Dude ... but I have to say ... I was very pleased to get back into my lil Pogo, turn my APR chip from 'Valet' to 98 Octane ... and head home at warp speed. :D

Dave

99gti
26-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I would still like to drive a GT TDi that has been chipped. I think it would be rather interesting.

Mischa
27-01-2008, 01:19 AM
I would still like to drive a GT TDi that has been chipped. I think it would be rather interesting.

me also :D