PDA

View Full Version : Passat A Pillar wind noise

Pass2093
20-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Hi Guys, I've been looking at purchasing a Passat Wagon for the last month or so. I placed a deposit on a purchase but currently waiting on dealer confirmation on availability and ETA. Whilst on my first test drive doing freeway speeds I noticed a wind noise apparent around the driver's A pillar area near the door mirror. I questioned the salesman about it and no surprise at this he told me....... "he can't hear it". Anyways to achieve peace of mind I went another dealer for a test drive and found that again at freeway speeds there is the same wind noise. So doing some research I came across that in the Passat the front windows should be laminated (double glazed) as per the photo. So back to the dealer I went to check for myself and what I found was the windows on the car I test drove did not have double glazing. Admittedly I am looking at purchasing the 132TSI Wagon with Drivers Assistance Package and on both occasions the vehicle was of this same grade. Have any of you experienced this wind noise ? And does your vehicle have double glazing ? If it means me upgrading to Comfortline so be it.

doc_777
20-03-2018, 03:56 PM
We have two b8 passats. Wife has comfortline, I have alltrack wolfsburg. Both have laminated windows on the passenger compartment (front and rear doors).

I have noticed a small amount of wind ruffle around the mirrors.

ope126
20-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Happy to be proved wrong, however I do not believe any Australian Delivered Passat's (across the year models) have ever had Double Glazed front side windows. From my understanding, Double Glazed has an air gap between two panes of glass, whereas Laminated Glass (generally from Windscreens) have a plastic film between two panes of glass. I believe that this is an option in European markets...

In fact, here you go; http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/passat-viii/configure/extras/2042/3267
"Sound insulating laminated safety glass, front and side on Estate (front, side AND rear on Saloon)"

This may also be available on the Arteon, as a few local reviews have commented about the front windows having sound insulating laminated safety glass.

As for the wind noise, I too also notice a small amount of wind around the mirrors... No deal breaker though!

doc_777
20-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Definitely laminated on our passats. All 4 doors have it. Easy to pick with the window partially down.

only car I have ever known to have double glazing on doors was S Class Mercedes some years ago.

Pass2093
20-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Sorry Guys it looks like I've used the wrong terminology "Double Glazed" .
I'll have another look at the 132TSI to ensure it has laminated front windows.
Any 132TSI owners comments on the front windows would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rocket36
21-03-2018, 08:52 AM
The new Volvo optional windows are simply outstanding and I think they're what you mean by "double glazed". Not actually double glazed, just much stronger and block a lot more noise.

Anyhoo, MY18 Passat wagon here and I can't hear any wind noise unless I open the roof or windows. It's such a quiet car. LOVE IT!

(38 years old with great hearing by the way)

Wynnston
28-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Hi Guys, I've been looking at purchasing a Passat Wagon for the last month or so. I placed a deposit on a purchase but currently waiting on dealer confirmation on availability and ETA. Whilst on my first test drive doing freeway speeds I noticed a wind noise apparent around the driver's A pillar area near the door mirror. I questioned the salesman about it and no surprise at this he told me....... "he can't hear it". Anyways to achieve peace of mind I went another dealer for a test drive and found that again at freeway speeds there is the same wind noise. So doing some research I came across that in the Passat the front windows should be laminated (double glazed) as per the photo. So back to the dealer I went to check for myself and what I found was the windows on the car I test drove did not have double glazing. Admittedly I am looking at purchasing the 132TSI Wagon with Drivers Assistance Package and on both occasions the vehicle was of this same grade. Have any of you experienced this wind noise ? And does your vehicle have double glazing ? If it means me upgrading to Comfortline so be it.

Mine suffers from quite a bit of wind nosie when there is a cross wind. It's hard to pinpoint but its coming from the same area. Dealer gave me the usual BS of "we can hear it, but it's the design of the mirrors that causes it". I think the doors just need some fine adjustment and they dont want to do it.