PDA

View Full Version : The mk3 1.9L TD power-quest

gldgti
25-01-2008, 08:01 PM
So, i htought i'd start a thread to give some new life to this slow diesel forum (no pun intended!).

Late last year I aquired a '94 Mk3 CL Golf. Personal import, 1.9L Turbo-diesel, (engine code AAZ). Note, this is not TDi, its indirect injection like the old mk1!

On the face of it, the mk3 is a pretty car - aftermarket dual round headlight clusters, dark tails and fogs, and ofcourse the elegant Speedline 16x7.5" alloys.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/11/DSCF0942-1.jpg

The car was a bit of a dawdler when I picked it up - completely standard engine.

This early model mk3 but late model IDI diesel has the same old VE injector pump that the mk1 uses, much to my joy - it is a highly tuneable item, with a couple of minutes of turning screws the car can become a totally different beast!

the Manual states the stock output to be a dithering 68hp - and i'd believe it! however, theres no question that something was still working at low rev's, because it would still pull well up long hills.

The k14 turbocharger is well matched to the engine for gnereal driving, as i realised after my first modification - a boost guage into he centre consolse, in order to see just what it was doing.

I was glad to see that the stock boost was right where it ought to be at 12psi.

my hunger for more power was overpowering, and as such the injector pump became the focus of my attention. The so called "smoke screw" was the first place to go, and with a small adjustment i soon realised just how under-fuelled this thing was - with just an 1/8th of a turn it went from "slug" to "gets out of its own way" which made me immensly happy.

next, the timing retard solenoid got my attenstion - this retads the timing at low engine speeds in order to lessen the diesel rattle - i couldnt care less! the darn car gained more than a few extra horses under 2800rpm once that was sorted.

Then i began to wonder about intercooling. I was sure that the car could take more air and fuel, but i wanted to build the foundations for future tuning, so more air came in the form of an intercooler.

some basic thermodynamics says that if the turbo is compressing the inlet air to 12psi, then it could be as hot as 130degC on exit! if i could get an intercooler to bring this down atleast to under 60deg, i would get an extra 10-15% more air into the engine - without even increasing the boost!

after a few trips to the wreckers and a lot of headaches, the intercooler from a Pug 405 SRDT found a new home above the gearbox in the engine bay, with a stainless steel cowling and ducting for fresh air from the now functional CL lower air intakes on the front bumper.

10-15% more air then translates into 10-15% more power once the fuelling is up to it, and the difference was remarkable - this car now moves very well indeed!

Up to now, the last modification was the boost compensation device on the injector pump. The pump uses a contoured pin attached to a diafragm to make fuelling adjustments - and the shape of the pin gives an indication of the fuel curve, so to speak. the standard 1.9 pin is flat, with a small bump increasing fuelling a tiny amount as boost reaches 9-10psi.

I sourced a different boost pin from a 1.6 TD pump which gives a more power oriented fuelling curve - a gradual increase as boost goes up - and this has since transformed the car into something truely fun to drive - much more power than the 1600 big carbie LS with extractors that it lives next to in my garage!

I would guess that the modifications so far have given me close to 95hp, a good 40% increase atleast - but though this doesnt sound a lot, it is the extra torque that makes the real difference. from 1500-3500rpm, the little diesel accelerates relentlessly, and its fair to say that the 60-80 time is similar, in the same gear, to the 100-120 time.

all of this without even changing the restrictive exhaust system which is seriously impeding performance..... no prises for guessing whats coming next.

I intend to keep this thread updated as more developments occur, but suffuce to say, im aiming high, but reliable.

Jarred
26-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice little write up, I look further to seeing further mods! I would love a diesel golf, but being as rare as something that's really rare, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon!

Have you thought about popping it on a dyno? It would be interesting to see indeed!

cetane
27-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Ayden... Have you had a chance to calculate the changes to fuel consumption as you progressively modified the motor? I bet the intercooler had a beneficial effect!

GoLfMan
27-01-2008, 07:34 AM
are there chips available for this engine? good on ya, this is very educational :)

Mischa
28-01-2008, 11:16 AM
nice write up thanks for that keep it coming :D

gldgti
29-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Ayden... Have you had a chance to calculate the changes to fuel consumption as you progressively modified the motor? I bet the intercooler had a beneficial effect!

some consumption figures:

just after purchase, no modifications - 6.6l/100km combined
after timing retard disabled - 5.9l/100km combined
turbocharger limit switch adjustment - 5.8l/100km combined
intercooler - 5.5l/100km combined

this is based on what i call "normal routine driving" however, the use of b100 seems to push consumption up by 0.6l/100km in all conditions, and also the increased fuelling allows me to blow out consumption to as high as 6.9l/100km on biodiesel right now, with lots and lots of heavy/fast driving.

the net affect has therefore been beneficial but for allowing me to make consupmtion worse by driving very hard... :-)

gldgti
29-01-2008, 04:19 PM
are there chips available for this engine? good on ya, this is very educational :)

This engine basically zero electronic engine management - everything is mechanical. there is no ECU... thus my happyness at the car because of its "tunability" - i can tune the engine to my like's without having to play around with electronics. all aspects of the engines performance are governed by either the injector pump or the turbine wastegate.

gldgti
29-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Have you thought about popping it on a dyno? It would be interesting to see indeed!

i would certainly like to put numbers in place of words - but not until i get my new exhaust system on the car, since at the moment it is so restricted that i'm afraid to use full throttle for longer than about 5-8 seconds, for fear of high EGT's melting my turbo/pistons etc.

GoLfMan
29-01-2008, 04:38 PM
This engine basically zero electronic engine management - everything is mechanical. there is no ECU... thus my happyness at the car because of its "tunability" - i can tune the engine to my like's without having to play around with electronics. all aspects of the engines performance are governed by either the injector pump or the turbine wastegate.

that freaking awesome mate :) that makes life all that much easier!!!

gregozedobe
29-01-2008, 11:56 PM
all aspects of the engines performance are governed by either the injector pump or the turbine wastegate.

I would have thought there may be possible gains to be had from better gas flow by modding intake, valves, cams, compression ratio, intake air temp (eg more efficient intercooler), turbo capacity/efficiency or exhaust ? I didn't realize diesels were THAT different to petrol engines (except for being not very amenable to tuning for more power at higher revs) :?:

Logzy
30-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Nice write up and an interesting read.
Look forward to hearing more.

gldgti
30-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I would have thought there may be possible gains to be had from better gas flow by modding intake, valves, cams, compression ratio, intake air temp (eg more efficient intercooler), turbo capacity/efficiency or exhaust ? I didn't realize diesels were THAT different to petrol engines (except for being not very amenable to tuning for more power at higher revs) :?:

ahh - sorry about the misunderstanding -

All aspects of the engines performance in terms of engine management (i.e. air and fuel intake) are goverened by the injector pump and turbine wastegate.

this is not the same as saying that other improvements such as bigger valves, reducing flow losses and optimising mechanical efficiencies do not have the ablility to increase the power output - merely that these things are not part of the engine management...

Indeed, adding larger valves would be desireable - if it were possible! but alas, there is no more room for larger valves, and in fact there is no real need in terms of max horsepower that is likely - the turbocharger more than makes up for that. likewise, there not a lot of improvement possible with the cam timing (for IDI diesels) either.

however, portmatching and polishing does work well for diesels, as well as ceramic coating of the piston crowns, and exhaust valve faces.

now, there are gains to be had in the areas of compression - lowering the compression from the stock 22.5:1 down to about 18.5:1 would likely be optimal - however this has implications for cold starting behavior etc etc - and is far beyond what i want to do with my daily driver!

when i come to modify my 1.6TD for the mk1 hillclimb/rally/whoknowswhat car, then i will certainly look at these things... but under 150hp, i would be wasting my own time and money bothering on some of the more serious modifications for the 1.9L AAZ in my daily driver.

And, please note that I have already mentioned about modifying the exhaust on the car in the first post...

gregozedobe
30-01-2008, 10:22 PM
As the old saying goes, "How fast can you afford ? " :)

I agree that what is possible should never be confused with what is practical, desirable, satisfying, justifiable, sensible or just plain economically rational. And everyone has a differing definition for when the line is crossed, and where their priorities lie.

From what I can see, if a tuner gets too ambitious with hotting up diesels you can end up with lots of torque and power, but over a very narrow rev range, thus making the car difficult to drive and not much fun at all in everyday driving.

I find the low rev torque of a good diesel is much of the fun of driving one ( I love the kick that I get from the 400Nm my transporter has at 1800rpm, no waiting for revs to buld up, just put your foot down and go, even in 6th gear). And this has the added advantage that you can enjoy this fun without constantly risking your licence - I will have to be a lot more careful when I take delivery of my new Octavia RS wagon (2.0 TFSI motor which likes to rev much more than the diesels).

I hope you have a long and enjoyable relationship with your newly peppy beastie.

gldgti
31-01-2008, 04:28 PM
From what I can see, if a tuner gets too ambitious with hotting up diesels you can end up with lots of torque and power, but over a very narrow rev range, thus making the car difficult to drive and not much fun at all in everyday driving.

this is not really true, but i can understand why this might be the general understanding...

typical diesels don't like to rev, i'll agree - especially direct injection engines like the TDI's.

Indirect injection has the advantage of allowing very early injection so that high rpm can be reached.

people will go on about stress on the engine and blah -di blah blah blah, but none of this is really an obstacle - its entirely achieveable to have 3-4000rpm of good driveable power in a diesel engine - and that is just as good as any performance petrol engine;

the fact that a diesels range of rpm might be restricted to say, for me, 5000 rpm, leaves me with everything under that to make as much power as i can. the stock engine pulls well from about 1600rpm, and thanks to the rpm governor the Injector pump starts cutting the fuel at about 3200rpm, so at the moment, i have about 1500rpm worth of real power - not a lot.

however, if i dive into the injector pump with a couple of shims, and install some clever boost control (which i plan to do) theres no reason i cant make good power all the way to 5000rpm quite safely - then i get 3400rpm of good drivable power.

now i know from driving other cars that 3400rpm of good power is very reasonable - a vtec honda might get you 3000rpm above 4500rpm, and a LS1 5.7l v8 doesnt really get up and boogy until its over 3500revs either -

so the argument about a narrow power band doesnt really apply - it is more of a phsycological boundary.

i guess the proof will be in the dyno charts, hehe :-)

theres a lot of guys with modified 1.6TD's in the states reving out to 6500rpm - and full 25-30psi of boost from 3000rpm means big power figures - 200hp is possible. but peak power being just a selling point, im rather more concerned with the fact these engines have a flat torque curve, and hence great driving feel.

if i can achieve good feel and a strong pulling engine all the way to 5000rpm, i don't think anyone would hop in the car and think it was difficult to drive.

the other nice thing about diesels is this - the only thing that controls the power output of the engine is your foot. regardless of rpm, a highly modified extremely powerful diesel engine will react just the same as a boring dawdler as long as you keep your foot off the floor. unlike a grumpy petrol engine with camshaft modifications, large valves and big bore throttle bodies...

Mischa
31-01-2008, 04:34 PM
i cant wait to see how your car turns out (if you ever stop modding it :P ) would i be able to leech a quick ride in it next time im in gosford? id be happy to take you for a spin in my gt :)

gldgti
31-01-2008, 08:23 PM
i cant wait to see how your car turns out (if you ever stop modding it :P ) would i be able to leech a quick ride in it next time im in gosford? id be happy to take you for a spin in my gt :)

anytime mate.. i'm in hornsby every working day too!

gldgti
18-05-2008, 09:59 PM
the saga continues -

saturday was spent with my good mate and work colleague Mark, as we put a full day into the construction of the mk3's fully replaced exhaust system.

total and complete 2.5" mandrel bent fabbed system from the turbo to the tailpipe - and what a difference its made!

we spent the morning making the downpipe, and the afternoon doing the rest.

the results are amazing, and i'm quite surprised at how well its all turned out - i now have the best of both worlds! the car is actually quieter while cruising, i think because of the lower exhaust pressure in the system- despite being one muffler short now. and when you get on the boost and theres more fuel, a pleasing growl erupts from the bowls of the engine and a rush of torque to boot! i actually achieved some clutch slip in 3rd gear today because of the extra torque...

acceleration everywhere is improved, but the best is the increased revability of the engine, now happy to rev past 4000 whereas before it didnt sound happy at all, now its willing!

and a comment from a work neighbor upon hearing me drive up the road during the first test - "it doesn't bloody sound like a diesel!"

some pics for good measure.... fabbing the downpipe - we made a jig to get it just right and re-used the brackets to ensure its all solid and not putting any pressure on the turbo

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/DSCF1245-2.jpg

making sure it fits nicely....

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/DSCF1247-2.jpg

the finished downpipe - aint it pretty?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/DSCF1248-2.jpg

the old downpipe and new side by side
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/DSCF1250-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/DSCF1251-2.jpg

Tacking up some of the rest....
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/DSCF1253-2.jpg

big thanks to mark for helping me make the diesel even better!

Jarred
18-05-2008, 10:49 PM
cool fun. nice bit of custom work there.

If i ever find one of these for sale....:rolleyes::D

gregozedobe
18-05-2008, 11:03 PM
the finished downpipe - aint it pretty?

i actually achieved some clutch slip in 3rd gear today because of the extra torque...

It sure do look purty ............ :) (and more efficient too)

I note that you are starting to edge into the area of "consequential" mods (needed because of all the extra power). So are any (or all) of the following now on your wish list ?

Stronger clutch
Better tyres
EGT (pyrometer)
More engine cooling
More efficient intercooler
Improved brakes
Better suspension
LSD (..... and so the list goes on ) :D

As far as diesel engines not having a significantly narrower power band than petrols, you still have a long way to go to convince me, plus I do like to stir a bit too ;) .

Rather than choosing specific "no low rev torque" petrol engines for comparisons with highly modded diesels, how about looking at unmodified engines within the VAG family to see a shining example of what I'm talking about - the latest 1.8 TFSI petrol engine that is going in current Octavias and Audis. Maximum torque from 1,500 - 4,200 rpm, and good power continues through to 6,500 rpm from a stock standard motor (more available with mods, and reflashes are already on the market). And it even gets good economy (not as good as a diesel though). When they release the 2.0 version of this motor it should be a bottler. The 1.9 TDI motor just doesn't compare, and both versions of the 2.0 TDI still have a much narrower torque/power band.

I agree that you do nearly all "normal" driving on torque rather than power, but don't forget that the higher gearing that usually comes with diesels does somewhat reduce the torque advantage of diesels. It is also more important to be in the correct gear to accelarate in a diesel (although the off boost, low-rev feeling of nothing, nothing, nothing, something, WHACK ! can be amusing as long as you don't need to go instantly).

Have fun with your mini-monster, sounds like it will keep you amused for some time to come :D

gldgti
19-05-2008, 07:09 AM
gregozedobe,

you are right ofcourse about the 1.8T engine, and a lot of other VAG engines... but thats not really the point i was trying to make.. i was really trying to demonstrate that theres no reason you can't have a very driveable car with a "narrow" power band.

as to other modifications, i've already put VR6 brakes in it, and i'm not totally happy with the intercooler set up either.

and EGT guage is needed but i wont be doing that until i have a good reason to pull of the exhaust manifold.

i dont think i need a bigger clutch, theres a good chance mine is original and the car's at 160,000km but its not slippy normally, so its probably just getting close to worn. i would say that a new clutch will fix that problem (which hasnt yet reoccurred... yet) and i have one in a box downstairs.

the car already runs on 205/45 16's and i dont think that it needs any more tyre than that - just some better quality ones for my next set.

i will probably change out the current k14 for a newer and larger K04 in time, which i feel will be better matched to this engine going on the turbine efficiency maps i've looked at and the way the boost drops off at higher revs with the k14 now.

gregozedobe
19-05-2008, 08:09 AM
The more I hear about it the better your project car sounds :thumbsup:

smithy010
19-05-2008, 08:10 AM
That's a dead sexy downpipe!

Do you guys have a mandrel bender up there, did you get them done custom, or did you buy the bends and weld them in?

Jaymz
19-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Thats fantastic, great write up. In its current state of tune it would have to fly i'm sure.
What does the mk3 weigh? The low weight will help the smaller 1.9 no end, as i would say you would now have the same performance but better economy than my tuned GT. Oh yeh, and for alot less money.
Looks the business too!

Keep up the good work and let us know when you get it on the dyno.

Greg Roles
19-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Me likes the way you think. Very nice fabrication, and no doubt the sort of thing a few of us DPF types would like to bolt in. Good to see you keeping the oiler modding bug alive well and truely!!

And Geez Gregoz, haven't you ever heard of the great Aussie concept of wacking a huge engine in an otherwise stock car, without any other mods? Brakes, tyres, suspension...BAH...stuff for wussies. Being FAR too sensible!:D

gregozedobe
19-05-2008, 05:40 PM
And Geez Gregoz, haven't you ever heard of the great Aussie concept of wacking a huge engine in an otherwise stock car, without any other mods? Brakes, tyres, suspension...BAH...stuff for wussies. Being FAR too sensible!:D

Yeah, guilty as charged ;) I like to see people enjoy the fruits of their labour for a while, rather than wrapped around a tree or on the side of the road with a blown motor. I believe it is possible to mod your car and have fun, and remain alive and legal as well - it just takes a bit more effort is all :rolleyes:

Even when I was a young fellah (and I admit that was some decades ago :( ), I was never a great risk-taker. I was the one who would ride my Yamaha 1100 around the corners at 8/10ths, and then catch up on the straights with a good dollop of power. Several crashes on dirt bikes reminded me about what happened when your adrenaline and ambition exceeded your skill and ability :rolleyes:

I know about BIG motors in normal cars without mods - probably the best I knew was a 1969 Monaro that came with a 186ci motor that the owner jammed a big block chevy 428ci into (without changing anything much at all, and trust me, a 1969 Holden 6 cylinder wasn't a good platform to start from !).

He couldn't use full throttle at anything less than about 100Kmhr, as the tyres just went up in smoke :???: It didn't half accelarate after that though, but was very scary in anything less than a straight line, and it took forever to stop :D At the time we had yearly rego inspections, so he just swapped the original motor back in every year for the inspection (he could do it in an arvo - lots of practice). He didn't worry about being pulled over, RWC's etc, as it was the late 70's and he was a cop. I think they called it "extending a professional courtesy" in those days. I valued my life even back then, so didn't ride with him very much at all.

gldgti
19-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Thats fantastic, great write up. In its current state of tune it would have to fly i'm sure.
What does the mk3 weigh? The low weight will help the smaller 1.9 no end, as i would say you would now have the same performance but better economy than my tuned GT. Oh yeh, and for alot less money.
Looks the business too!

Keep up the good work and let us know when you get it on the dyno.

i doubt it would keep up with your GT, and am sure i wouldnt get better economy... though i dont know what i'm getting now after the new additions...

before i was getting 6.5l/100km on biodiesel 100% and about 5.9l/100km on normal diesel. we shall see what improvements there are in time.

i'm not sure what the mk3 weighs, thats a good question. i think it would be less than a tonne, but as to how much less i dont know.

the point of it all is however that its a cheap car - if i get to GT speed then i'll be happy, but this car cost me 7 grand outright and it still has 2 airbags, power windows, remote central locking and good a/c. it still gets nearly as good fuel economy and even with all the stuff i've done to the car, i wouldn't have spent an extra 2 grand yet.... plus its a little lighter, and thus i expect it outhandles the younger models a little.... so for me its the ideal daily driver...

YUP - not project car - DAILY DRIVER - hahahahhahaaa i love VW's.

Jaymz
19-05-2008, 08:00 PM
i doubt it would keep up with your GT, and am sure i wouldnt get better economy... though i dont know what i'm getting now after the new additions...

before i was getting 6.5l/100km on biodiesel 100% and about 5.9l/100km on normal diesel. we shall see what improvements there are in time.

i'm not sure what the mk3 weighs, thats a good question. i think it would be less than a tonne, but as to how much less i dont know.

the point of it all is however that its a cheap car - if i get to GT speed then i'll be happy, but this car cost me 7 grand outright and it still has 2 airbags, power windows, remote central locking and good a/c. it still gets nearly as good fuel economy and even with all the stuff i've done to the car, i wouldn't have spent an extra 2 grand yet.... plus its a little lighter, and thus i expect it outhandles the younger models a little.... so for me its the ideal daily driver...

Yep mine too! Have had many a performance car but the best thing i like about my dub is that its got performance and economy:D

I think you would be surprised about the performance, we should get a G-Tech and compare. If your under the tonne mine is 1.4t. Our power to weights would be dam close.
My economy is averaging 6.6L/100 we when driving like miss daisy and when pushed i can easily get 10L/100!
I gave a good friend of mine a drive, he's the M car specialist at BMW and he thought it would be good for a 0-100 somewhere in the 6's. Surely yours wouldn't be far off that when tuned with the new exhaust.

Mischa
19-05-2008, 08:03 PM

surely not under a tonne? my mk2 just scrapes under the 1t mark.

nevertheless sounds like its turning into a weapon :)

Jaymz
19-05-2008, 08:14 PM
The third-generation Golf was elected European Car of the Year in 1992. For the first time, a station wagon derivative was produced, bringing it into line with key competitors like the Ford Escort and Vauxhall/Opel Astra which had long been available as estates. The GTI variants (especially with the straight-four 4 cylinder engine) are considered to be the poorest of the performance Golfs, with significantly increased weight, but with minimal power increases. A "best of breed" VR6 variant exists which was available in a well regarded "Highline" trim; this 2.8 L VR6 engine gave a significant boost in power to 174 PS (128 kW/172 hp) for the Mk3, a car weighing only about 1285 kg (2836 lb). Compare that to the Mk2 GTI that weighed 285 kg (629 lb) less but had only 139 PS (102 kW/137 hp) and a much smaller engine to tune (1.8 L). A convertible version of the Golf Mark 3 was launched as the Cabrio (Typ 1E). The VR6 offered a top speed of 138 mph (222 km/h) - almost unbeatable on any hatchback of this size available in the early 1990s, outperforming even the Ford Escort RS2000, Rover 220 GTi and Vauxhall Astra GSi.

A 16-valve version of the third-generation Golf GTI was introduced in 1993. This model was greeted with a muted sense of disenchantment by the motoring press[citation needed]. The engine was enlarged to 2.0 L, with power now reaching 150 PS (110 kW/148 hp). While underpowered compared to the VR6, it was still relatively popular with driving enthusiasts in Europe (North America didn't get the proper GTI version, but had the name applied to the VR6 engine). Once again the Golf Driver version took its place as the official GTI-look-alike but with a more humble single-point injected 1.8 L engine.

The Golf Mk3 was also the predecessor of the "diesel craze" that swept through Europe in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when Volkswagen introduced the direct-injection system with the 90 PS Golf TDI in 1993. The 1996 TDI, at 110 PS (81 kW/108 hp) for a 1.9 L engine, wasn't the first diesel engine installed in a road car to achieve over 50 hp (37 kW)/L, but it showed the public that diesel engines could be powered without losing their fuel efficiency, while also retaining massive amounts of low-end torque, in the TDI's case, 235 N·m (173 lbf·ft) at 1900 rpm.

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GLSAlso offered was a naturally aspirated (i.e., not turbocharged) version of the 1.9L diesel engine, the SDI, offering 47 kW (64 PS/63 hp). This variant is considered to be particularly durable.

During the 1990s, Volkswagen sponsored three high-profile rock bands' European tours, and issued a special-edition Golf, with distinctive exterior markings, for each: the Golf Pink Floyd Edition (1994), the Golf Rolling Stones Edition (1995), and the Golf Bon Jovi Edition (1996).

In 1996, Volkswagen produced a limited quantity of 1000 special-edition 3,5 door GTI Anniversary model, celebrating 20 years of the GTI model. This had the usual GTI specification but came equipped with special chequered Recaro front sport seats and matching rear seats bearing the GTI logo, red seat belts front and rear, half-chromed and leather golf ball gear knob, red stitched leather steering wheel and handbrake gaiter. The release knob on the hand brake was also red and silver instrument dials. Floor mats also had red pipping along their edges. The red theme continued externally with a red striping on the bumpers and red brake calipers. The wheels were 16" x 7.5" split rim BBS RX II alloys, visually similar to the 15" that were found on VR6 model. Brush stainless steel rear twin tailpipes on the exhaust and smoked front fog and indicator lamps to match the rear lamps. 3 optional extras were made available; electric sunroof, air conditioning and metallic black paintwork. Insurance was based on the standard GTI which made this version a very desirable model. The edition was sold in only 6 colour schemes and the 1000 number figures that were produced was as follows; 600 8 valve models, 150 16 valve models and 250 TDI models. The diesel model was only produced for the European market and wasn't sold in the UK. Unfortunately many of the models fell into the UK company car and lease market prior to the second-hand market and its believed only a few hundred still survive.

I want a Rolling Stones version!!!:D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/35/GolfRollingStones.jpg/450px-GolfRollingStones.jpg

GoLfMan
19-05-2008, 09:18 PM

are you coming to Nats mate? i want to pick your brains over a few beers about Bio Diesel and diesel tuning in general ;)

gldgti
19-05-2008, 10:49 PM
i'll be there mate - nice and early and parked inside. entering the car in mk3 modified...

hope everyone else is going too!

GoLfMan
21-05-2008, 04:13 PM
sweet cya sunday!

mollins
22-05-2008, 09:44 AM
gregozedobe,

i dont think i need a bigger clutch, theres a good chance mine is original and the car's at 160,000km but its not slippy normally, so its probably just getting close to worn. i would say that a new clutch will fix that problem (which hasnt yet reoccurred... yet) and i have one in a box downstairs.

me thinks you need to fix your clutch soon.. it slipped when i floored it in 3rd gear on sunday!

maybe next weekend we should swap it?... or do some more to the mk1.. hmmm.. too many vws.. not enough time

gldgti
01-06-2008, 09:59 PM
so on friday night i got back on the injector pump with my 13mm spanner, torx set and screwdriver and did a bit of tweaking.

i backed off the fuel screw a bit (yes, backed off) so that LESS fuel is going in generally. I also changed the limit switch position for the electronic wastegating to a little further along the throttle range, so that the turbo doesnt spool when im cruising at 110km/h. this means that theres no boost pressure acting on the LDA, and no extra fuel going in, so theoretically better economy. im pretty confident it will work.

i also adjusted the position of the boost compensator pin a little.

i seem to have about the same amount of power as before, but hardly any smoke at all. i've got the turbo spooling to 17psi now at peak boost, and it really pulls well, but now theres only ever any smoke at full throttle, just before boost comes on (say 3rd gear, 45km/h, foot flat). apart from that, its crystal clear out the back window!

im liking this a lot - it feels cleaner. haha. anyway, im hoping i will get a bit better economy now. im keen to break the 5l/100km mark and show all you TDI guys that you can do it the luddite way aswell ;-)

Preen59
01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
so on friday night i got back on the injector pump with my 13mm spanner, torx set and screwdriver and did a bit of tweaking.

i backed off the fuel screw a bit (yes, backed off) so that LESS fuel is going in generally. I also changed the limit switch position for the electronic wastegating to a little further along the throttle range, so that the turbo doesnt spool when im cruising at 110km/h. this means that theres no boost pressure acting on the LDA, and no extra fuel going in, so theoretically better economy. im pretty confident it will work.

i also adjusted the position of the boost compensator pin a little.

i seem to have about the same amount of power as before, but hardly any smoke at all. i've got the turbo spooling to 17psi now at peak boost, and it really pulls well, but now theres only ever any smoke at full throttle, just before boost comes on (say 3rd gear, 45km/h, foot flat). apart from that, its crystal clear out the back window!

im liking this a lot - it feels cleaner. haha. anyway, im hoping i will get a bit better economy now. im keen to break the 5l/100km mark and show all you TDI guys that you can do it the luddite way aswell ;-)

Nice work man. I love to see some real tuning going on. Hard to find anymore. Most people are like "It's a little rich but i don't have my laptop with me" these days.

Go old school tuning by feel!

GoLfMan
01-06-2008, 10:18 PM
good on ya Aydan, love ya style and the fact your not scared to get in there and do it yourself :)

gldgti
03-06-2008, 09:13 AM
hi again guys,

well not sure bit i think i might be killing my turbo....

i'm getting a bit more whistle than i used to and apart from that my exhaust smells oily, so i reckon i'm leaking a bit of oil from the turbo into the intake.... might have a looky at the intercooler on the weekend, i suspect its filling up with oil ha.

so, i guess its time soon for a k04!

Jarred
03-06-2008, 09:32 AM
maybe you've just done the seals...?

silver lining to every cloud...

Greg Roles
03-06-2008, 12:40 PM
hi again guys,

well not sure bit i think i might be killing my turbo....

i'm getting a bit more whistle than i used to and apart from that my exhaust smells oily, so i reckon i'm leaking a bit of oil from the turbo into the intake.... might have a looky at the intercooler on the weekend, i suspect its filling up with oil ha.

so, i guess its time soon for a k04!

Sorry to hear that..but I would have thought the main point of oil ingress into your inlet would be through the crank case venting. Sure all total loss turbo bearings leak oil into the inlet / exhaust a little, but my money is on the extra boost getting past the rings and causing extra pressure in your sump, and thus more oil and vapour coming out the vent. I'm only at 9000kms now, and I've dumped a good 200mL plus of oil from the bottom of my provent oil vapour filter doobie, so you can just imagine what a few hundred k's does for an inlet oil wise!

I'd be looking at the oil film before, and after the point at which the vent system enters the inlet. I know TDI-club goes on and on about cleaning intercoolers and the amount of oil ingress through the vent system.

Good luck, and I hope it's not the turbo seals!

gldgti
03-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Good luck, and I hope it's not the turbo seals!

im secretly hoping it is...

the breather is a good point, maybe i should put in a catch can and see what happens... the thing is that the breather assembly has a cyclic separator to prevent that from happenning on the AAZ, so i'm doubtful.

we shall see.

Greg Roles
04-06-2008, 09:06 AM
My man, the current TDI has no less than 5 oil seperation systems, including a cyclic of amazing design, and the whole thing takes up several pages in the study manual. It amazed me with it's complexity, and yet my provent is collecting a suprising amount of oil. In the first 9000k, with new car tolerances I've collected a few hundred mL. Certainly a lot more than you would like to have going through your intake, especially when it combines with the EGR circuit and mixes to make sludge.

My bet is this is the majority of your delimma.

gldgti
04-06-2008, 11:00 PM
My man, the current TDI has no less than 5 oil seperation systems, including a cyclic of amazing design, and the whole thing takes up several pages in the study manual. It amazed me with it's complexity, and yet my provent is collecting a suprising amount of oil. In the first 9000k, with new car tolerances I've collected a few hundred mL. Certainly a lot more than you would like to have going through your intake, especially when it combines with the EGR circuit and mixes to make sludge.

My bet is this is the majority of your delimma.

well you convinced me.... what did you buy to fix it?

Greg Roles
05-06-2008, 08:49 AM
I bought a Provent oil catch system from Mann and Hummell ( Aust ) in Sydney. It was rather dear at $200 plus post, but a very nice unit, and well designed. I'm sure a simple oil catch can, sealed, and reconnected into the inlet vacuum would be just as good, but at the time I had been messing with a few half arsed designs and got sick of oil everywhere so just bought it despite the hefty price tag.

Post #2.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=13929

Here's how to make one from the awesome website Autospeed. I figure that's the ticket for you Mr Tinkerer !

http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_1576/article.html

smithy010
06-06-2008, 08:38 AM
That one on the autospeed website should be a doddle for you Aydan!

It's very nice.

gldgti
07-06-2008, 09:50 AM
i smell an after work project coming on.... :-D

Greg Roles
08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Before you get too weld happy, I noticed supercheap have Monza ( chinese ) oil catch cans for $59. I've had one of these before, and they are pretty crude, but a reasonable starting point. I put some pot scourers in mine!

gldgti
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
meh - i can knock one up at work for little money and have it work perfectly.... might as well, then i can say its mine.

gldgti
14-06-2008, 05:00 PM
well, a little update,
took apart the old intercooler piping setup in order to optimse it a bit, and get rid of 2 very tight rubber hose bends - and i came up with this....
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/06/DSCF1332-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/06/DSCF1330-1.jpg

also, i de-EGR'd the car. after taking off the cast alloy fitting that bolts onto the top of the intake manifold in order to inspect it, i was disgusted to find an enormous buildup of black goo - consisting of exhaust carbon and oil mixed together. i belive this is a trait of the early EGR setups which works very well to gum up your intake manifold.

i made up 2 blanking plates - one for the exhaust mani, and one for the inlet, and then just removed the rest.

i figure that hte exhaust blanking plate will be perfect for mounting a EGT sender, and the inlet one might be good for inlet air temp.

i also found that the intake manifold is grossly goo'd up aswell, but until i pull the turbo off, i cant get to the intake manifold bolts. therefore, it will have to wait - goodness knows how much power and efficiency is lost with all of that goo in there!

cant wait to pull the turbo and clean all that goo out now!

Preen59
14-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Looking good dude. Sounds like you're making progress. Good stuff!

Mischa
31-08-2008, 05:35 PM
updatesss? :)

gldgti
31-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Ask and thou shalt recieve.. or sommint

I have decided no more k14, its just too small :evil:

so i'm going to throw in a nice little... urm i mean BIG T3. woot!

theory will be that with even less exhaust backpressure let the engine breath better at high revs, and i think free it up in the criuse (3000rpm) so that it can jsut tick along at 3-4psi. at the moment, with the electronic wastegating, i can just cruise with no boost, and when i try to overtake someone or go up a hill i'm stuck with 12psi or more, mo matter how light the throttle is - simply 'cos the turbo is so small!

pics of the t3 will be along as soon as i can get time to pull it off the old passat engine.. would have done it today but i might have been building a frankenturbo with a certain other forum member ;-)

GoLfMan
31-08-2008, 07:48 PM
sounds awesome mate, ill be PM'ing you soona bout turbo upgrades for my TDI ;)

Mischa
31-08-2008, 08:32 PM
frankenturbo i like the sound of that :D

are the aussie delivered/sold mk3 diesels the same engine as yours?

Jarred
31-08-2008, 09:44 PM
T3?! Nah no big enough! :D

Gotta go a GT25/28R, boost it up, yo! :biggrin:

j:

Mischa
31-08-2008, 09:51 PM
T3?! Nah no big enough! :D

Gotta go a GT25/28R, boost it up, yo! :biggrin:

j:

lol boost will hit at 4k and he'll have 1k of power to play with :P

gldgti
01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
lol boost will hit at 4k and he'll have 1k of power to play with :P

someones on the money ;-)

i hope with the t3 that it'll really start to spool about 2500rpm.... right where my peak torque seems to be. then it'll be breathing easy right through the power band, and it should criuse beutifully. I'm sure i can get better economy with a bigger turbo.

GoLfMan
01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
hmmm T3 would be good. how much HP are they rated too?

Jarred
01-09-2008, 05:37 PM
hmmm T3 would be good. how much HP are they rated too?

depending on trim, but roughly 250Hp i believe

gldgti
01-09-2008, 07:30 PM
depending on trim, but roughly 250Hp i believe

about right... so way above my needs...

i have seen video of a mk3 caddy (skoda) doing 10 second quarters with an AAZ (my engine) and just a big turbo (t3/4 hybrid i think it was... or equivalent).

the aussie delivered diesels (as far as i know) were all TDI's (mollins 1z engine) and not AAZ's.

Jarred
01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
about right... so way above my needs...

T3 would be the one I reckon. Just make sure you pick the right trim, that's the fun part!

What would you go if you went smaller though?

gldgti
01-09-2008, 07:39 PM
i already have the T3 - its the same as was delivered from factory on 1.6diesels from the mid-late 80's.

the total hp ability of the t3 is far above my needs (i doubt i'm going to risk 200+hp in my daily econodriver ;-) ) but the turbo should be just perfect - boost topping out at about 20psi (same as now) but with lots less backpressure and it wont work nearly as hard as the k1`4 does.

if i were to go any smaller, it would be to a frankenturbo k04-003 - inbetween the k14 and t3 really.

but im confident the t3 will suit my purposes just nicely.

gldgti
02-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Well, theres been a few little things going on...

I've lately been fiddling more and more with the fuel settings on the pump, trying to minimise soot and keep some power - and i've basically cracked it with a midrange setting on the "boost pin" (adds fuel on boost) and carefully adjusted "smoke screw" (entire fuel curve adjustment).

Boost now peaks at 21psi at around 2700rpm, dropping off to about 15 psi at 3500rpm and 10psi at 4200. This is due to the governor (still stock) cutting in and spoiling all the fun - basically theres not enough fuel to make any more boost. this does however make for a clean and cool running condition - no smoke anywhere!
the only time it smokes now is off boost with a heavy tromp of the foot - quickly dissappears as the turbo spools up above 5-6psi... so she's really quote socially amicable now.

governor mod is something i really want to look at soon, as its basically the last thing on the list for this car.... apart from the T3 which is in the works :-)

now, onto prettier things:

I aquired a triplet of nice new guages ex-ebay, from a supplier in SA. they are Racetech brand, made in taiwan. the guages came with everything needed for installation and are of very high quality, and work very very nicely indeed. stepper motor type - fully electronic with senders kept in the engine bay, so i only had to run wires into the cabin.

I got a boost pressure, oil pressure and EGT guage all for about $260. very impressed!

obviously, the EGT is the one i want to talk about....

EGT kit came complete with sender probe and all wiring, and i might add that its a very nice egt probe to install - just a good size (about 2" long with a suaged fitting so that you can adjust how far into your port it pokes.

i've mounted the probe into the EGR blanking plate that i made up for the exhaust manifold when i de-EGR'd the engine. it fits in nicely and basically sits right behind the exhaust port of no.4 cylinder.

I have found that the response of the EGT guage is pretty much instantaneous, and i have seen rises of 100degC/second, which i would think wouldnt lag much behind the actual temperature.

guage travel goes from 200C-1300C, with my own danger limit at about 750C. as yet i've not clocked anything over 520C, so i'm happy my "tuning" isnt having any negative effects on the engine.

hyway cruise at 110 keeps the guage on 200 (lower limit) which is great, and around town goes between 200 and 400.

i've also noted a direct and obvious difference with EGT and boost. more boost makes for lower EGT's in all scenario's, confirming the fact that diesels run cool and lean, rich and hot (opposite of a petrol engine). driving with a moderate boost leak (early this week i had a hose failure) i noted an increase in EGT's of about 50C across the board of driving conditions.

these observations are interesting in that it seems to make more difference to turbine temps that the mixture in nice and lean (more boost) than having a cool inlet temp (efficient intercooler). however ofcourse you'll get better efficiency andpower if the inlet air is cooler....:-)

i'll also note that there is an obvious point where you have too much boost for the amount of fuel - as the power output suffers from larger compression losses. i see this when cuising at 0psi, and speeding up slightly so that the rev's go over 3200 and the automatic wastegating is disabled. if this happens, i get 5-7psi of boost but no extra fuel, and feel a small deceleration as the engine "loads up" with extra compression but no oomph. so, the ewasy way to tune for power is to go for a "light haze" of smoke - however this might be socially unacceptable, depending on how the people around you think. perhaps this is where the DPF came into being - allowing vw to run a tune that creates a small amount of soot (max power) and still have a slean exhaust.

anyway, pics of all the above things to come shortly. :-)

GoLfMan
02-10-2008, 08:14 PM
awesome mate :)

im a soot man, the more soot the better, especially infront of open topped convertables j:

Preen59
02-10-2008, 10:51 PM
i've also noted a direct and obvious difference with EGT and boost. more boost makes for lower EGT's in all scenario's, confirming the fact that diesels run cool and lean, rich and hot (opposite of a petrol engine). driving with a moderate boost leak (early this week i had a hose failure) i noted an increase in EGT's of about 50C across the board of driving conditions.

Is that necessarily a hotter combustion temperature... OR...

Is it because when your engine runs rich, the charge is still burning as it passes across the exhaust gas temp probe?

It seems strange that with effectively less cylinder pressure you get a hotter charge burn.. And less pressure would equal a slower burn yes? Which would mean that what i have mentioned above could be correct?

All questions, not statements. Love to hear your thoughts.. :bowdown:

gldgti
03-10-2008, 07:35 AM
your right on track there preeny - indeed the charge burning through longer (continuing as it exits the cylinder) would logically be the reason i'm seeing higher egt's - but when i think about it in terms of the basic thermodynamics - if there's enough oxygen in the air charge to burn all of the fuel well before BDC, say, then more of that combustion heat works to expand the gas charge making torque.... as the gas expands, it cools down - so if everything's over early, i see a lower EGT.

i think the big problem (danger) with diesel tuning is running too "rich" for too long during the cycle, and not being able to convert that heat energy into expansion at the right time.

interesting anyway...:-D

smithy010
03-10-2008, 08:21 AM
im a soot man, the more soot the better, especially infront of open topped convertables j:

Hear Hear!

Doing Well Aydan. That's better than i can say for myself. Someone listened in thermodynamics class more than i did.

I like your theory, but i still see where Mr Preen is coming from. In more practical (but very picky) terms, if you have post-cylinder combustion, then you are more likely to get a bad reading on your EGT.

Greg Roles
03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Wow, interesting stuff guys. Have motivated me to get my own EGT finally hooked up and see what a computer does to the situation.

Awesome observations!:bowdown:

Preen59
03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
your right on track there preeny - indeed the charge burning through longer (continuing as it exits the cylinder) would logically be the reason i'm seeing higher egt's - but when i think about it in terms of the basic thermodynamics - if there's enough oxygen in the air charge to burn all of the fuel well before BDC, say, then more of that combustion heat works to expand the gas charge making torque.... as the gas expands, it cools down - so if everything's over early, i see a lower EGT.

i think the big problem (danger) with diesel tuning is running too "rich" for too long during the cycle, and not being able to convert that heat energy into expansion at the right time.

interesting anyway...:-D

Very interesting. We have found that to an extent with the kart engines. If you run them slightly on the rich side, in some cases they actually run hotter and you lose bottom end. (You have to remember that with kart engines, being direct drive, we are using an extremely broad RPM range, like say from 6500 to 15500.. So bottom end is VERY important.)

We found that is some cases (had to be a hot day), if we run a slightly rich mixture, the engine would get hot, lose bottom end and still not perform through the mid range or top end, and be very lethargic. You lean it off, the head temp and egt drops, the engine picks up bottom end, mid range and starts screaming again up high.

There's much, much more to them than that, but that was a case that we have encountered in the past with fuel mixture.

gldgti
04-10-2008, 08:56 AM
I like your theory, but i still see where Mr Preen is coming from. In more practical (but very picky) terms, if you have post-cylinder combustion, then you are more likely to get a bad reading on your EGT.

sorry i think my post was a little unclear - i do agree completely that the rich scenario is making me see a high EGT, not necessarily a high combustion temp.

however if the piston is still being heated by the charge continuing to burn through the exhaust stroke, then over the whole cycle the amount of heat saturation would be larger - and hence piston temps would be greater. similar logic applies to the exhaust valves i think.

gregozedobe
04-10-2008, 07:03 PM
We have found that to an extent with the kart engines. If you run them slightly on the rich side, in some cases they actually run hotter and you lose bottom end.

Aren't Kart engines 2 stroke engines ? (ie very, very different to 4 cycle diesels with compression ignition, valves and turbochargers)

I seem to remember burning holes in a piston or two from running 2 stroke motorcycle engines too lean for too long at sustained high revs (but I agree, more torque and power on the lean side rather than rich).

Preen59
06-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Aren't Kart engines 2 stroke engines ? (ie very, very different to 4 cycle diesels with compression ignition, valves and turbochargers)

I seem to remember burning holes in a piston or two from running 2 stroke motorcycle engines too lean for too long at sustained high revs (but I agree, more torque and power on the lean side rather than rich).

Yes they are 2 strokes, but you are still compressing and burning a charge the same as everything else. It was mainly a comparison, i'm not saying 2 stroke tuning directly relates to diesels.. :)

Ideally, with a 2 stroke, you want the faintest sign of detonation pitting juuuust around the edge of the piston and combustion chamber. BUT, you have to get that without the engine getting too hot. Very tricky, and i'm not going to say much more. Wrong thread, wrong time, and it takes a lot of time and money to learn such things. :)

gldgti
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
so ,some porn for you diesel heads....:-)

i hope you all know what this is :evil: started to clean it up today
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1416-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1417-1.jpg
to give you an idea of sizing
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1421-1.jpg
left, k14 compressor housing, right k04 compressor housing
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1422-1.jpg
EGT probe mounted in the old EGR blanking plate
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1427-1.jpg

gldgti
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
oil catch can i made up at work the other night. i ended up going with mild steel (it was handy) and painted black... not sure about the location yet, hence the cable ties :-)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1426-1.jpg
bad picture of the installed guages in the centre console.... from left to right - oil pressure, EGT and boost
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1424-1.jpg
another bad pic of the guages when ignition OFF
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1423-1.jpg
new 'cooler piping...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1425-1.jpg
where the "magic" happens
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1432-1.jpg

and a little off topic - my front yard a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1411-1.jpg

my sisters GLD - used to be GLS, converted and painted by my dear old Dad :-)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF1413-1.jpg

Jarred
07-10-2008, 03:31 PM
whose is the white 4 door on BBS??

Everything is looking good!

Preen59
07-10-2008, 09:03 PM
whose is the white 4 door on BBS??

Everything is looking good!

That's mine.. Oh wait... :biggrin:

gldgti
08-10-2008, 06:33 AM
That's mine.. Oh wait... :biggrin:

if only i can get mine to go as fast as yours will :evil:

i'll need twice the torque of your 16V for the first 5000rpm... since you will be revving out to 10!

gldgti
15-10-2008, 12:49 PM
well, finally replaced clutch/pressure plate assy on saturday.

friction disk seemed ok - not too worn - but clearly contaminated with oil. shock springs stuffed as usual (180,000km). inspection of rear main seal yeilded it to be fine. im sure oil got in to the bell-housing from an oil pressure sender leak.

cleaned up the gearbox/flywheel. new pressure plate on with new bolts and new friction disk.

chucked the old original "self adjusting" crap heap of a clutch cable for brand new manually adjustable unit. woot!

i now have POWER TRANSMISSION to the ROAD!

i cant believe what a difference it is... i can actually get the benefit of my 20 odd pounds of boost now!

pulls like a freight train from 1800-3700. its still a diesel. its still not fast... but it is definately getting faster :-)

having trouble pulling the T3 apart for rebuild..... its all siezed up. i'll get there ;-)

GoLfMan
15-10-2008, 02:34 PM
having trouble pulling the T3 apart for rebuild..... its all siezed up. i'll get there ;-)

use every good engineers favourite tools,

WD-40 and a hammer :D

Preen59
15-10-2008, 07:57 PM
if only i can get mine to go as fast as yours will :evil:

i'll need twice the torque of your 16V for the first 5000rpm... since you will be revving out to 10!

Hahaha nah only 9. And only when i need to!

Preen59
15-10-2008, 07:59 PM
use every good engineers favourite tools,

WD-40 and a hammer :D

ZEP 400 craps all over WD40 if you can get it.. My old man never goes without a can!

Good to see you finally got the clutch done.. It needed it. :)

gldgti
16-10-2008, 06:11 AM
ZEP 400 craps all over WD40 if you can get it.. My old man never goes without a can!

where does he get it? :-D

Good to see you finally got the clutch done.. It needed it. :)

sure did - abysmal before really!

btw - also put in some urethane eccentric rear wishbone bushings to correct that castor issue i had - coupled with some new rubber and yet another wheel alignment (pedders in hornsby look after me now ;-) the car finally drives DEAD STRAIGHT!

pedders actually took the time to think about it and set camber to 2.5deg neg on both front wheels with a little toe in just like i asked, and finally i'm happy with the results. plenty of grip and turn in, not too extreme for the highway. looks smart too with some decent neg on both front wheels :-D

GoLfMan
16-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Pics or ban Aydan :D

gldgti
17-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Pics or ban Aydan :D

oooohhhhh! wheres my camera....

Preen59
18-10-2008, 10:37 AM
where does he get it? :-D

I'll find out for you when he gets back from the US.. :)

gldgti
18-10-2008, 02:13 PM
about to get banned...

just played around with my "springs and levers" a bit more this morning... hello horsies :evil:

mananged to change the on boost fuel adjustment spring to a stiffer one, so that as boost comes on, fuel delivery is a little LESS - so i can set the peak delivery HIGHER than before, i now get less smoke as boost comes on, but more fuel when boost gets above 12psi - so less smoke, more power! also means i could wind the max fuel screw in a bit more to get a little better top end.

Preen59
18-10-2008, 02:19 PM
about to get banned...

just played around with my "springs and levers" a bit more this morning... hello horsies :evil:

mananged to change the on boost fuel adjustment spring to a stiffer one, so that as boost comes on, fuel delivery is a little LESS - so i can set the peak delivery HIGHER than before, i now get less smoke as boost comes on, but more fuel when boost gets above 12psi - so less smoke, more power! also means i could wind the max fuel screw in a bit more to get a little better top end.

Very nice. I take it that it has given the engine a more progressive fuel delivery, and therefore a better burn right through the rev range?

Top end in a diesel?? Hehehe sorry had to say it. :)

gldgti
19-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Very nice. I take it that it has given the engine a more progressive fuel delivery, and therefore a better burn right through the rev range?

Top end in a diesel?? Hehehe sorry had to say it. :)

thats right - basically the fuel delivery more closely matches the air delivery now. top end? whats that?

cant wait to get the little tiny k14 off it and stick the t3 on - then we'll talk about top end. kurrent turbo is SOOO restrictive.

at the moment, i have the smallest turbo i posess on the largest, heaviest breathing engine i posess.... not the best combo.

gldgti
09-11-2008, 06:17 PM
well, after noticing that over the past week the peak boost that i've been hitting has been gradually decreasing (down to 15psi :-o !!! ) i was convincing myself that this was it - turbo going west.

but, nay! saturday allowed me to take a look under the bonnet and not able to see anyhting much interesting, i decided maybe i needed to turn up the fuel a bit...

after a drive, where-upon i was only able to hit 18psi once, i was back to being dissappointed....

to try to bring back some of my nerve i tried a 0-100 time to see just how the car was feeling when giving it heaps - ended up at 9 seconds to 100km/h and egt peaked at only about 550C.

got home, had another look around, and then noticed that revving at idle made little puffs of smoke in he engine bay.... then i found the culprit - leaky plate where i'd mounted my EGT probe in the exhaust manifold!

decided to go all out today, and made from scratch a whole new blanking plate for the egt probe out of some nice 5mm plate.... bolted it up and went for a run.... WHOOSH!

now i have a peak boost around 22-23psi, and notably quicker right across the rev range on boost - wooo!

feeling pleased, i spent the last 4 hours cleaning her up :-D

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/11/DSCF1438-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/11/DSCF1443-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/11/DSCF1442-2.jpg

Preen59
09-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Congrats on the progress! Hurry up and bash that bigger turrrrbo on it! :)

Jarred
09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Bloody looks tops I reckon. love the colour, and it's so clean! (not a fan of the head lights though..)

Best of all DIESEL POWER! Good stuff.

I would have looked at buying that one in (QLD?) that was for sale, except, I already have 3 cars. bugger.

keep up the good stuff.

mollins
10-11-2008, 08:20 AM
I would have looked at buying that one in (QLD?) that was for sale, except, I already have 3 cars. bugger.

The one in qld is TDI (has a 1Z). Nice car, but they want a lot for it.

Cheers

Mike

evorobin
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
My favourate mk3 without doubt. Nice subtle mods with a cracking power plant!

jayjay
10-11-2008, 11:57 PM
My favourate mk3 without doubt. Nice subtle mods with a cracking power plant!

i think you mean torque plant? j:

definitely one of my favourite mk3s on here too.

Preen59
11-11-2008, 03:29 PM
i think you mean torque plant? j:

definitely one of my favourite mk3s on here too.

I've driven it... TWICE! :nana:

gldgti
13-11-2008, 06:23 AM
ahh shux its nice of you guys to compliment her so....

it does drive really nicely, but its no powerhouse.... well maybe i'm just feeling annoyed because the turbo's letting me down AGAIN!

i just want to put the t3 in... but uni.... uni.. uni...

jayjay
13-11-2008, 02:51 PM
lol. it must be the fastest pre 95 diesel car kicking around aus. :)

jealous preen j:

what are the specs for the t3 turbo compared to the current one?

gldgti
14-11-2008, 06:15 AM
the t3 is a genuine vw-variant turbo made for hte early 1.6TD's -

i just measured it up and did some calcs:

The compressor side works out at 36 Trim, and the exhaust at 68 trim. the exhaust A/R is .36 . by rough calc, the compressor A/R is about 1.00

Using a T3-40 trim compressor map as a guide (40 trim pretty close to 36) it should be very good for my application. small exhaust a/r will help it spool nice and fast and even though the compressor is only small, tha large a/r should make it efficient through the midrange - i hardly ever rev it past 4000rpm anyway, so it should be great.

if i find that its not playing nice at high rpm, i might be able to swap a larger trim compressor side onto it, but keep the small a/r exhaust side.

for people that are interested in learning:

http://www.junkyardturbos.com/101_1.html - some turbocharger basics

http://www.motorgeek.com/index.php?page=6 - a nifty tool to plot you're running conditions on a few turbine maps

gldgti
19-11-2008, 11:34 AM
and another article for those of you interested in learning about and improving your diesel...

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/turbocharging.htm#turboexhaust

mollins
19-11-2008, 11:59 AM
lol. it must be the fastest pre 95 diesel car kicking around aus. :)

not for long.. muahahaha.. :driver:

Preen59
19-11-2008, 06:56 PM
not for long.. muahahaha.. :driver:

Hahaha nice one! I hope to do something similar to what you're doing one day... ;)

gldgti
19-11-2008, 08:05 PM
check back to my 2 previous posts for updated info btw - some useful links there for people to look at.

peedman
23-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Updates bro? Ive just bought myself a diesel likes urs and seeking inspiration :)

gldgti
26-01-2009, 07:56 AM
hmm well i suppose i should update for new IC. not a lot of room to work with at all considering the HUGE a/c core, and the bumper support panel,
so it became necessary to cut up the bumper support panel instead,
taking out most of the support panel in between the foglight positions and the leave the top 'u' channel shape for building on to. then i added some support for the IC and reinforcing for the support panel to stiffen it up, since i just chopped a hunk out of it. reinforcing is 50x3mm flat bar stitch welded along the back (radiator) side and supported in the middle at the front with the leftover tab from before. look here for details:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=24787

the idea was to basically cut out as much bumper support as i needed, then make it nice and strong again so that it was still stiff from the frontal impact perspective. remember that aluminium is a very stiff metal and adding the intercooler, as long as it is relatively well supported (i.e. properly attached to the bumper support) means that the IC itself will act as a bumper support in an accident.

i put the hoses wherever they would fit really, which is through the holes where the stock fog-lights project backwards through the radiator support. i left the standard intake configuration for now, so that if i happen to have a problem on the road i can swap on the old intake hose with no trouble.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/01/DSCF1502-1.jpg

here's what it looks like from the outside. the front view makes it look like it'll get no airflow, but i can assure you that from the last 3 weeks of driving its working VERY well indeed. i have seen an across the board 10% improvement in fuel economy, and last week recorded my best ever range from a tank figure of 922.5km, on 100% biodiesel. the l/100km figure of 5.72 doesn't do it justice, as i filled it to brimming after that long tank, whereas the time before i just filled it to the first click... so in fact it must have been better.

torque is up on before from 2000-3500rpm, i think that the little k-14 is really the limiting factor now, and i STILL havn't got myself into gear to rebuild the T3... but i will, i promise! i've been waiting to some extent because i really needed to do some maintenance and repair work on the car, such as a new alternator /ac bracket and tensioner, and i needed to get the air con fixed too (a BIG investment!).

now thats past i'm happy to be getting on with other things.

gldgti
22-04-2009, 06:53 PM
time for a little update.

well, over the weekend i went on holidays and achieved my best consumption so far of 5.2l/100km, of 100% biodiesel on my 15yo diesel. (from a whole tank)... so given i'm now topping 23psi! and and the car is running well, i guess i'm doing somethign right!

i had an issue with my intercooler pipes that run down infron of the accessory belt rubbing through a silicone 90- bend i have there (oops) and so have adjusted the piping so that it cant ever happen again.

i've also tuned the fuelling just a little more, adding a bit more across the rev range so as to up the boost and get me some more horsepower. i've realised that i need to get it nice and hot first, before i go testing out if i'm smoking or not, because at anything less than 15minutes of proper driving, its just not hot enough.

sighting this, new injector tips are on the board - i'll be upsizing and hoping to get a bit more hp out of her, perhaps a smoke reduction too.

the other day, some guy in a mk5 gti gave me a run at the lights (rolling start and we didnt speed) and i kept up - so i'm gonna chalk that up as a testament to old diesels tunability - if i can keep up with a mk5 gti, i reckon i'm doing well.

finally sorted my clutch problems, and no more slippage, which is nice - but further, i've been into the engine to check out the main bearings and am happy to report that despite my driving and the amount of boost i'm running through her, the crank bearings show little sign of wear, even for 200,000km. definately the original bearings too. so all good things to report.

i'm toying with swapping out hte intercooler for a larger one (just because i can) and i have a little plan up my sleeve for a couple more suspension mods - stay tuned :-)

Jarred
22-04-2009, 07:06 PM
woo!

glad to hear it's all still working, and quite well at that!

Greg Roles
22-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Bet the guy in the GTI was suprised, nice work mate! Give those gassers hell!

Preen59
22-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Sounds good dude. Aslong as you keep good oil in the engine and keep changing it at regular intervals i'd expect that the engine would be showing little signs of wear.

Looks like i better organise a BBQ one weekend when i'm free and you guys are too so i can sample the new improved HP.. :)

gldgti
24-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Sounds good dude. Aslong as you keep good oil in the engine and keep changing it at regular intervals i'd expect that the engine would be showing little signs of wear.

Looks like i better organise a BBQ one weekend when i'm free and you guys are too so i can sample the new improved HP.. :)

wooo! VWW GTG at aydans house!

it seems to happen more and more... mollins and i are always playing golf together, but i've had Mickey with his vr and preeny... i guess any house with 2 mk1's out the front and 2 golfs in hte car port is going to be a bit of a nuthouse :-)

gldgti
03-05-2009, 05:58 PM
so i fitted a larger intercooler today.... basically just a deeper vesion of the one i had.... and extra 2.5" on the bottom. its a lot more obvious that theres and intercooler there now, but i dont care. im after power and efficiency, and i get enough people trying to race me anyway, i don;t think it'll make much difference to that.

i havnt really noticed any more lag... but i'm hopeful that the extra bit of direct airflow that it now gets will aid in keeping it cooler than before (even though it was working great).

pic (sorry it was dark.... my crappy old camera did little...) :-(

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/05/DSCF1619-1.jpg

also thought i'd share with you fellow sooties my new rear windscreen livery:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/05/DSCF1618-1.jpg

Water Boy
28-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Loved looking at your engine bay at Nats :biggrin:

gldgti
29-05-2009, 11:17 PM
heh, cheers. i don't know if we met :-(

your mk3 is mega cool bro. LOVE the simple look. you need a set of vr6 seats in it though ;-)

gldgti
08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
so guys, the time has come... for me to do something.

uni is finished (so far as i know) and the last month has been hectic but wanting to get into all the things i've said i wanted to do for years (literally) has finally got the better of me... i think i'll let the pictures do the talking:

heres my big achievment:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/08122009114-1.jpg

clutch slip (again) has necessitated a new clutch. new rear main seal
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/06122009107-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/06122009106-1.jpg

who could believe.... all this time i thought i was driving around a k14 turbo, turns out my brain is fried cos this is a wee little garrett T2 - and its been pushing 22psi for 40,000km now.... lucky i have a big intercooler :-)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/06122009108-1.jpg

but enough with the past, how about this for a size comparison:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/06122009110-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/06122009112-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/08122009117-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/08122009118-1.jpg
theres a little work going into adjusting the positions of the wastegate actuator and compressor housing to clear something else i'm working on this week...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/08122009115-1.jpg

brand spanking 1z manifold....
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/03122009097-1.jpg

making the incision...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/03122009099-1.jpg

gldgti
08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
i've got a total of about 20minutes aluminium welding experience, so i dove right on in...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/08122009116-1.jpg
and the obligatory gearbox cleanup...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/08122009119-1.jpg

sorry for phone pic quality...

on the upside, i am hoping to have this thing together and running for this sunday afternoon, just waiting on new oil lines, finish my intake manifold, and install a couple of other new bits while its all apart - gearbox input shaft seal and bushing, new timing belt, new main engine mount, new turbo intake pipe, and modify the exhaust downpipe to fit new turbo.

but heres to progress, and to you Preeny, may you be inspired :-)

Lorenz
08-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Your doing some brilliant work there mate, big ups to you!!
Look forward to seeing it all backtogether

Preen59
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Great work dude. Who cares if your welds are a bit average.. That's how you learn! Loving it. :cool:

Golf Loon
08-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah man.
Just when we were getting all dissapointed that no-one posts build threads anymore. Nice one.
That Turbo looks pretty purposeful mate, you could put the old one on a Mk1 :)
I`ll be watching this with interest.

gldgti
09-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Yeah man.
Just when we were getting all dissapointed that no-one posts build threads anymore. Nice one.
That Turbo looks pretty purposeful mate, you could put the old one on a Mk1 :)
I`ll be watching this with interest.

ahh, great minds and all that - the T2 will be going into Megans Cab :-)

thanks for the kind replies.

GoLfMan
09-12-2009, 06:51 AM
sweet! Looking tops there matey :)

looking forward to the "review" of the new set up!

Greg Roles
09-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Ferkin ell, you're on the serious end of buildups! Noice!! Making me feel bad about how little I've done recently, but you're going to a WHOLE other level. Awesome!!

Jarred
09-12-2009, 10:12 AM
WIN! that's what I call a real turbo! :D

woot for progress finally.

Goon
09-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Just read this entire thread! Wow just wow..

I wish there were more older VW Turbo Diesels around! I want one!! :frown:

Excellent work mate, I'm extremely envious of your skills.

DVR68U
10-12-2009, 12:30 PM
looking good as always ,
cheers brenton

gldgti
10-12-2009, 08:41 PM
i've been working on my new intake manifold after work this week and have something... but i'm not entirely happy with it - i have doubts about its functionality. aesthetically is pretty rough for sure (still unifinished, but still rough anyway) but its sound.

my deeper concern is that it will work not better than the stock manifold insofar as i want to balance the airflow across the cylinders. i fear i may be cutting it up tomorrow. but i figured pics are warranted so you can see what i mean:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/10122009120-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/10122009121-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/10122009122-1.jpg

Preen59
10-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Some of those welds are pretty good for an amateur dude.. (To Aluminium.. Not TIG welding in general)

I think that should work ok. When you think about it, it looks restrictive but it isn't really. It's larger than having runners so i think it will be ok. I'm not 100% on how diesels react in terms of air speed etc but with FI it wouldn't matter as much, would it? It looks a little unorthodox, but i reckon it will be ok.. :)

Why did you make that "runner" so long? clearance?

Greg Roles
11-12-2009, 05:35 AM
I agree with the Preenster, given the fact diesels run a lot higher PSI, all you are basically doing is pressurising the chamber against the closed valves, and that pressure will run in when the valve opens. The only potential issue may be a little lag given the volume over stock?? But then you've now got a bigger turbo!! i reckon it's a goer.

Best bet is usually the bummometer!

Preen59
11-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Yes a calibrated bummometer is highly accurate. :cool:

gldgti
11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
ahh fellas im not worried about restriction (cross sectional area of that recangular section is same as a 4" pipe) i'm concerned about flow distribution.

firing compressed air into the inlet has air coming out faster at the back end port and least at the near inlet side port, so i am guessing that this is not what i want.

today i made a decreasing cross section plenum and welded it up to the side of the top plenum (duel plenum type design) but although it worked better, it wasnt perfect. so, for now its on hold. the old stock manifild will go on for now and i shall be working on the manifold later.

on the plus side i have my new oil lines and everything else i need to have this running once back together. WOOT. i have a big weekend ahead :-D

evorobin
12-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Master oil burner watch this turbo build with much anticipation we do :cool:

Preen59
12-12-2009, 08:42 AM
ahh fellas im not worried about restriction (cross sectional area of that recangular section is same as a 4" pipe) i'm concerned about flow distribution.

firing compressed air into the inlet has air coming out faster at the back end port and least at the near inlet side port, so i am guessing that this is not what i want.

But.. That is with an open end. Wouldn't it be different once you block it off and put 4 valves across the bottom? I understand what you mean from a fluid mechanical point of view, but i would think it should pressurise that chamber evenly and should give a close to even charge distribution?

Good luck dude.. I'm off to Sydney for the weekend so i'll be keen to see what you came up with when i get back sunday. :)

gldgti
13-12-2009, 09:52 PM
yeah, so big weekend. not everything went according to plan, but hey, does it ever?

only 1 little hitch really - i had to move the wastegate actuator with a little bracket slightly because of where i wanted to point the compressor outlet. this put the wastegate actuator in a position where it fouled the brake booster (just). unfortunately we found this out hte hard way (once engine was in and the actuator air hose tap had broken off.)

anyway, being the renegade dieseler i am, we removed the actuator completely and bolted the wastegate shut - so i have no boost control, for now :-) apart from the foot, and the fueling, anyway :evil:

only other hitch is i have changed out the main engine mount for a BFI stage 0.5 one (the other two are already changed). this has resulted in more vibration than i want, so it will be changing back to a stock one shortly....

oh - and i didnt get to finish my new intake manifold, but i couldnt have used it anyway because i didnt get one little fitting i needed for the oil supply line on hte turbo. this meant i had to use the old oil supply line, which in turn doesnt allow the use of big fat inlet manifolds (it isnt flexible)

pics...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/12122009123-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/12122009125-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/13122009129-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/13122009128-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/13122009129-1.jpg

how does it go? well early days yet, but its hit 23 psi in 1st gear easily. spools after 2000, fast after 2500. i have to turn the fuel down a fair bit i reckon, i can get mega smoke if i try. off boost performance is WAAAAY better - engine revs much more freely and with purpose. still has lots of torque, but doesnt seem to be trying at all.

on boost performance is also way better - but this is something i havnt really explored yet since the wastegate is shut and i have the fuel still turned up, the damned thing just wants to boost so much i chicken out with loud pedal very early.

how does it sound? good. very good :-) actually, surprisingly little turbo noise, just a little more exhaust note.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/th_13122009012-1.jpg (http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u139/gldgti/?action=view&current=13122009012.flv)

Jarred
13-12-2009, 11:50 PM
woah smoke much?!? haha;

looking good guys. love the TD love!

GoLfMan
14-12-2009, 07:22 AM
nice :D Aydan hits another homer!

SOOOOT

jayjay
14-12-2009, 12:40 PM
that thing blow sooooo much smoke! it's awesome!

Preen59
14-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Nice work man. Keen to catch up and see how it goes.. :cool:

Hehe.. Remember when i sooted that guy in the Camry? Good times..

Greg Roles
14-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Very nice work there, got a LOT done in a short time. Sure sounds responsive! Nice to see a bit of diesel modding action happening around the place!

Transporter
14-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Great work mate. It sounds fast from that video. :)

gldgti
14-12-2009, 09:57 PM
well i took the car to work and back today (150km's round trip) and it seemed to perform well. before leaving this morning i turned the fuelling down a bit (so as not to smoke everyone out) and i seem to be on a winner. this thing doesnt need the fuel it used to, the darned thing flies. anyway, i can keep the smoke and hte boost under control pretty easily now but im still too chicken for full throttle, boost still soars past 20psi and i chicken out.

already swapped in new stock main engine mount.

overall, its so much smooooother. i love it. acceleration has a kind of "aeroplane" like quality - boost builds and the acceleration increases, so its a real surge that seems to keep increasing with revs. now i really wish i'd had the chance to dyno the car with the old turbo cos i'm sure the new plot would be very different.

anyway, certainly i'm happy.

WIN!

Mk1_Citi_Golf
27-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Bigger exaust and water injection...........?

gldgti
28-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Bigger exaust and water injection...........?

haha - i already have a bigger exhaust mate - 2.5" mandrel bent all the way from the turbo.

as for water injection.... not yet.... theres plenty more power to be had yet without that can of worms.

gldgti
28-12-2009, 09:26 PM
well, after a couple of weeks im ditching the merc spec T3 for a VW spec T3 (smaller compressor side.)

basically, i thought why not try out a chinese turbo for interests sake.... and having tried it (all works fine) im still driving around with a little doubt in my mind, and a little too much lag, i've decided.

so this evening i finally got around to rebuilding my old VW 1.6TD T3, which allows a couple of advantages:

- i have upgraded it with a 360 degree thrust bearing so it should now be happy to boost to high heaven
- it has a smaller, lighter compressor side which should allow a better spool up and better low end response
- it is still MUCH bigger than the T2.
- it has a turbine housing mounted, compact wastegate actuator, which solves my boost control issues
- its a genuine Garrett turbo and i wont be worrying about it while i drive around :-)

finally, i now have a turbo i can use for a backyard jet turbine project i want to undertake! (the chinese one that is).

the new (old) turbo is ready to go on and the swap will happen this weekend :-D

Greg Roles
29-12-2009, 09:51 AM
I am SO jealous of your ability to just bung on a turbo, fiddle with the fuel screw etc, and away you go. If i was to try that, it's be at least $1-$2k for a custom chip tune each time. Might have to get myself an old school oiler for a project car! Keep up the awesome work dude!

Preen59
29-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Excellent. :)

schoona
29-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Just got a whiff of.....sweet project Aydan :)

gldgti
31-12-2009, 09:56 AM
couldnt wait - new turbo in bolted up (worked on nights after work). just a few little things to finish off before test dive tomorrow - WOOT for public holidays!

gldgti
31-12-2009, 09:53 PM
couldnt wait.... test drive complete :-D

gldgti
01-01-2010, 04:18 PM
ooooooooooooooooooook.

so, ive done a little tinkering today and i'm very happy. wastegate working well, i now have boost control.... which means i've been ale to see just how this baby goes. turbo performs well so far, i havnt really gone easy on it, i figure journal bearing turbo should be fine from the get-go.

max boost in each gear:

1 - 10psi
2 - 16psi
3 - 18psi
4 - 21psi
5 - 23psi.

lag is there,but less than with the merc t3, i think. not reeealy sure, since without a wastegate i couldnt floor it with the other turbo. off boost performance still good. very very rough 0-100km/h on wet road about 8.5-9 seconds (by myself, no helper for timing :-( )

no bad noises, turbo makes a nice whine up to about 5psi then its all whoosh. i'm sure i've lost a fair bit below 2500rpm with this setup, but now i can rev right out to 5000 with ease. just pulls and pulls. 100km/h in 3rd was not an option with the t2, now its easy. very predictable power, lag means the torque builds smoothly but if you get on hte throttle early you can make up for it a bit. just need to learn my way around it :-)

above 3000rpm, the car is a beast. really storms ahead. definately an open road car now too, much nicer at speed with some load to bring the boost up quickly. at freeway speeds its great. my new favorite gears are 2nd, 3rd and 4th. 5th now feels long (used to feel short) but still great for cruising, its just that to really get the benefit from all the power in 5th, you would need to be doinga LOOOOONG way over the speed limit.

EGT's peak at 620*C, so i'm still below the red zone. considering i've turned the fuelling down so much, i really think this setup is oing to return much better economy. time will tell :-)

pics to come :-)

Jarred
01-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Wikid! I'd love to have a mk 3 oiler!

Preen59
01-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Fantastic dude. Nice work! :)

gldgti
21-01-2010, 05:59 PM
well, its been a couple of weeks on the VW spec T3 now.

its funny - i've effectively neutralised the wastegate actuator on this turbo now by closing off boost pressure to it, but i'm still only seeing 21-22 psi max. I'm pretty sure this is because the spring in the actuator is soft, and exhaust pressure is pushing the valve open at high exhaust manifold pressure.

without pulling the turbo, my only option to combat this will be to run some vaccuum to the boost can on the actuator to try and hold it closed - this is a project for the coming weekend.

i am planning on using the existing, leftover solenoid valves from the electronic boost control for the T2, to switch vacuum off from the actuator at high rpm so i dont overboost.

i have to admit however, i'm as yet not sold on this turbo. i'm sure the exhaust side flows well enough for my needs, but the compressor side just seems a little small. i'm considering pulling the turbo and swapping the merc spec compressor wheel in, along with the compressor housing. this means having a kind of hybrid VW exhaust side with merc intake side. my only reservations about this are that the assembly could be off balance when i do this.... so i havnt convinced myself yet that this is a good idea.... however, i reckon the plusses could be huge - i'm fairly sure i was getting much better low rpm boost with the merc turbo, purely because the compressor side was so much larger, it would pump a good amount of air at lower shaft speeds.

performance? well itsp pretty darned good. i cant really get a good launch without smoke, there's just not the boost in 1st that there used to be. trick seems to be to rev first way out, change fast into second and maintain about 8spi between the shift to ket a good kick into 2nd. second is similar, rev it right out to 5000, fast change to 3rd, maintain about 14psi into next gear. that 2nd-3rd change feels HUGE off the clutch, lots of pull, then rev 3rd out to about 4700 and change into 4th. 0-100 is somewhere between 8-9 seconds, i still havnt tested it properly, haha.

Preen59
21-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Great post Aydan.

Just swap it over dude.. What's the worst that could happen? :)

gldgti
21-01-2010, 09:47 PM
worst case i guess the compressor wheel explodes because its chinese crap.

next worse would be its so unbalanced that it fatigues the turbine shaft over time and it snaps in half

next would be imbalance that chews bearings over time

anything less would be i guess ideal turbo :-)

Greg Roles
22-01-2010, 06:06 AM
I love your work ( and if it wasn't for you the diesel section would be very friggen quiet! ) but I'd be wary of making my own hybrid turbo's. At least do your research to see if anyone else has done anything close, as the imbalance could indeed be a major thing, let alone the drivability afterwards!

Love your gutsy efforts all the same! Go man, GO!:banana:

gldgti
22-01-2010, 06:50 AM
I love your work ( and if it wasn't for you the diesel section would be very friggen quiet! ) but I'd be wary of making my own hybrid turbo's. At least do your research to see if anyone else has done anything close, as the imbalance could indeed be a major thing, let alone the drivability afterwards!

Love your gutsy efforts all the same! Go man, GO!:banana:

ahh yeah i've seen this combo before, its basically the same as the merc one is anyway, but the VW hotside is very slightly different. a few dieselers have done this and report good results.... plus, if no good, i change it back again :-)

gldgti
26-02-2010, 04:32 PM
So, last Saturday we headed off for the blue mountains for an engagement party (not my own :-) ). As we are heading up a hill, I give it the beans and at about 20psi I hear a very loud shreik from the engine - yahoo! Stop, get out, check for anything major.... nothing gives. I suspect turbo....

Anyway, to we drove all the way to the mountains and back, and I pulled the turbo on Sunday morning after obseving some HUGE lateral movement in the shaft when i removed the intake boot!r

Luckily, the noise had come from the compressor wheel ever so slightly fouling the compressor housing - it didnt even rub enough to machine much of anything off either the compressor wheel or the housing - rather just scuffed up the housing a tiny bit and burred over the back edges of the blades.

Once I had the turbo dissassembled, i found this:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/02/21022010207-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/02/21022010208-2.jpg

These are the bronze? journal bearings you find in a journal bearing turbo. The one on the left is an oldy, but nothing actually wrong with it. THe one on the right is the newy that I pulled from the turbo. You can see that the shoulder has been "machined" away - this is not the wear surface! Infact, this machining was done by the retaining circlip that holds the bearing inside the centre housing.

I did suspect a lack of oil pressure to be the culprit before dissembling the turbo, however upon discovering this strange wear in this bearing (there are 2 in the turbo, and the other one was unmarked) I was reluctant to say that lack of oil pressure was the cause.

The idea of the journal bearing is that when the bearing housing is pressurised with oil, the oil moves both between the bearing and the shaft, and the bearing and the housing. You can see the holes in the bearing - these are to allow a flow of oil from the inside surface to the outer surface - infact, it is fair to say that the bearings "pump" oil from the middle towards the outside as they spin, as the oil is flung out by centrifugal force.

Now, it is very important, you must see, that there is sufficient slip between the bearing and the shaft - because if the bearing was to spin at the same speed as the shaft, then it would not function correctly.

I found that some minor corrosion stains were evident on the turbine shaft in the area that the offending bearing lies, and so I was simply able to polish up the shaft very nicely, which will allow the bearing to spin freely and function properly (as the other one was).

As insurance that oil starvation isnt a factor, I have also increased the size of the oil feed line for the turbo.

Once the turbo was back together with a new set of bearings and the newly polished turbine shaft, the amount of lateral play in the shaft was significantly reduced, and the turbocharger spins freely.

I have driven it to work today, and it performs very well! So, I am happy to report that the 1.9TD is still going strong :-)

Internal injector pump mods will be coming soon - and a new, bigger clutch to boot!

gldgti
22-06-2010, 06:36 PM
who would have belived it...

So after waiting 2 months for my new SPEC 210mm 6 puck sprung hub clutch to ship in from the US of A, it still wasnt here when we had to go away to tassie on holidays.... luckily it had arrived when we got back.

Also while we were away, i found that the gearbox had begun making a dull rumbling sounds on overrun, and decided it must be diff bearings going. So, once back from holidays i planned to get the car off the road.

I pulled the gearbox and decided that I didnt want to make all the special tools necessary to dissassemble the box, so I let Camden GTI do it for me. After 240,000km of hard work, it nedded about 4 different bearings. New seals, circlips, washers, etc etc etc.

While that was happening, I got the new clutch in (which is lighter than stock by a little) and a balanced/machined petrol 210mm flywheel (which is MUCH lighter that the stock diesel jobbie).

I also dove into the injector pump. Unfortunately, I managed to drop a rivet head into the pump whilst it was installed on the engine, and forthwith had to remove it, take it inside the house, find all the literature about the VE injector pump that I could and completely (well half) dissassemble it in order to get the bit of stuff out that i'd dropped in there... WOW! That is a definate experience, I tell you. I have learned so much from that one little mistake. I also spent some time cleaning up the engine bay.... pics to come. I'm just at work atm so I can't upload pics.

Happy to report however that now its all back together and running! I modified the govenor control lever mechanism a little but I will have to go back in there and do some more, because I was too sensible and have only gained enough horsepower to wet my appetite for more.... invariably this can only end badly....

Oh, did I mention that I'm going to 2 turbo's?

:evil:

Oh - some might be wondering whats a diesel like with an uprated clutch and a lightened flywheel? Well, so far its great. Slipping the clutch is a little tricky but its actually not so bad that I would say its "unrefined". Its just a little..... sensitive. I havnt stalled it yet, so cant be that bad. Also, the balancing has helped no end - the engine feels much better to rev and is much smoother than it was, which is great.

Preen59
22-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Nice write up dude. Very interesting.. :)

schoona
22-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Sweet soldiering on Aydan!

GoLfMan
22-06-2010, 10:59 PM
very interesting to know about the lightened flywheel!

when I have to get a new clutch, I think a lightened VR6 flywheel and clutch will be in order :D To get rid of the dual mass flywheel

Jarred
22-06-2010, 11:15 PM
nice work! love it as normal, and look forward to more updates!

hiho
23-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Whats the 210mm petrol flywheel off Ayden?

gldgti
23-06-2010, 05:54 PM
thanks guys,

hiho, the 210mm flywheel is from a SEAT.... i actually pulled this one out of the red mk1 i bought recently, which had a new 210mm clutch installed.... happened to have a nicely refurbed flywheel on it :-) - and only been used to drive up my driveway (still had machining marks on the friction surface)

hiho
23-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Nice! I have a 210mm flywheel/clutch from a toledo. Nice to know that its lighter than the diesel flywheel! WHen i finally get some time to commission the 1.6td I will be picking your brain on the pump/turbo tuning tricks.

gldgti
06-07-2010, 05:32 PM
I cant help myself....

Swapped turbo on saturday arvo to a k14 i recently rebuilt.... having never driven on a k14 I wanted to see how it goes and assess its appropriateness for my sequential turbo project, which is now in the works.

The k14 is about smack in the middle of the T3 and say, a T2. its got a really nice quick spool almost to rival the T2 but flows much better. Anyway, it has certainly shut down the top end compared with the T3 but the bottom end/midrange is really good, so I'm happy.

My plan is to run the K14 as the primary, and have the wastegate set to open at around 10psi. The T3 will be the secondary and its wastegate will be set to open at about 14 psi, getting me to 24psi... but I should be able to have atleast 16-17 psi by 2000rpm, and then 24 from 2500 all hte way to redline. This will keep the bottom end of the engine happy (so not too much boost at very low revs) and hopefully it will sing. It'll be running excess air all the time too which will really make it a clean tune. Best of all, both turbo's will be happily working away at about 50-60% of max capacity, so they wont be too stessed out.

If i ever need to rebuild the bottom end, then I will have the setup to boost up in the 30's easily, too :-D

Greg Roles
06-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Sequential turbo's, holy cr#p!!!

I'm very jealous!

Happy plumbing matey....:P

GoLfMan
06-07-2010, 07:43 PM
holy mother of god!

get on it... pics pics pics!

Preen59
06-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Sounds great, dude! :)

gldgti
06-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Happy plumbing matey....:P

too true :-)

Jarred
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
:O

NICE! can't wait for this!

gldgti
28-07-2010, 09:18 PM
hey diesel heads - heres a little heads up update -

after a bit of a gearbox saga, I will this weekend be doing an 02a conversion to an ASD code gearbox (mk3 TDI box, longest ratios they made. 2500rpm at 120km/h on 195/50/15's). No more 020 for me :-)

gldgti
01-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Massive weekend, but its in and running! woot for 228mm clutch!

Jarred
02-08-2010, 10:52 AM
nice, good work!

did you convert the 02a to rod shift or install the cabkes shift mech?

gldgti
04-08-2010, 09:37 PM
nope, full conversion. everything 020 gone, everything 02a in. That means clutch pedal and brackets, hydraulic line, cable shift shifter box (pull off exhaust and heat shields, uuurgh), front engine mount, starter, lenghtn wiring looms for reverse switch and speedo... etc etc etc. I guess its not a huge deal really, but when your working by yourself, it felt like a lot for 1 weekend, hehe.

gldgti
11-08-2010, 10:48 PM
little update - i've done 1200km's on the new setup and not a single hiccup, leak, drip or crunch. something must be really wrong, 'cos nothings gone wrong yet :-)

tonight I was driving to pick up my fiance as usual, and I realised all this time nursing around the car with a slipping clutch or other similar worries, i've turned myself into such a softy. so i gave it the beans for the rest of the trip home and the car really seemed to love it :-D

gldgti
19-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Little update here...
Remember way back when I installed the larger T3? Well, after trying out the standard 1.6VW T3 (about 8 months) and the kkk k14 (about 3 months) I finally got around to fixing up the waste gate on my Mercedes spec bigger T3.... initially I had it in the car with the waste gate valve locked closed, so I really had to baby it around and never got a proper feel for how it could go - I only really figured out that it flowed well and could fly way past 25psi...!

On Saturday afternoon I swapped it back in with newly customized and modified waste gate actuator (made more compact, as before it hit the firewall - its tight back there with such a big turbo) set at a stately and safe 15psi. Now that I can give it the full pedal up to the high revs.... wow!

Its quite a different car, and just to stop typing words, I think I might even be happy enough to go try and get it dyno'd in the next couple of weeks to really see what its doing :-)

Preen59
19-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Great work, Aydan. Cool as mate!

Greg Roles
20-09-2010, 09:35 AM
So what did it run stock, and I wonder what would blow up first if you pushed it?

Funny how long you put up with stuff mid tinker, I still haven't run my water meth I bought in Feb!!

gldgti
20-09-2010, 09:55 AM
The stock turbo was a T2. I ran that up to 22psi, but stock boost was 12psi.

The AAZ is pretty good for 30-35psi if done right (nice inlet manifold for flow distribution etc) but if done badly the first thing to go is either headgasket (ARP studs fix that) or maybe a bent conrod.

I'm going to crank it up to 22ish psi this afternoon. The main thing that worries me with this turbo is surge at lower rpm, as it seems to be capable (if i push it) of making large boost at low rpm, I dont want to snap the shaft.

Jarred
21-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Cool as!

It'd be really interesting to see some numbers!

gldgti
22-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Dyno tomorrow arvo.

gldgti
23-09-2010, 06:26 PM
FAIL!!!!

You wouldn't read about it - I have to drive maybe 800m to the dyno place from my work, and as I turned out of our complex driveway, car starts making a funny noise and i discover that the brass bushing that the wastegate actuator rod passes though has popped out of the exhaust housing!

I will attempt to fix tonight, and if I can't, it'll be atleast a week or so I reckon 'cos my weekend is full up!

:facepalm:

sorry guys :-(

Jarred
23-09-2010, 06:45 PM
oh bummer! i was looking forward to this!

gldgti
30-09-2010, 06:06 PM
OK, my car is back on the road finally. I fixed the wastegate issue (pull the turbo) and I also added a microswitch to control the electronic timing retard solenoid on the pump, so now I have full advance from about 10% accelerator instead of from 2800rpm. (When I say full advance, I mean full static advance, as the standard control simply retards the timing a static value (like 3-4 degrees) below normal for any given rpm, from idle to 2800. Now I have "normal" from 10% accelerator, at any rpm - what the heck does all that mean? basically I get more torque everywhere below 2800rpm, and I keep a quieter idle (sans diesel nailing) - the one disadvantage of having the "normal setting all the time).

Its much better.

I'm waiting on a Turbotech manual boost controller before I dyno the car. Might be tomorrow, could be next week.

Fun Fun!

Jarred
30-09-2010, 06:42 PM
I'd love to get my hands on a mk 2 TDI. so much sootin' good fun

edit: mk 3

gldgti
30-09-2010, 07:29 PM
All you need to do is chuck a TD in yours... you still have that?

Loon has a couple of SDI 1.9's that are just begging to be fettled and turbo'd. I don't know why people keep going with all the hassle of wiring crap up with 1.8T's in mk1/mk2's when all you need for a diesel is 12V and a glow plug circuit. At least with a diesel you can enjoy it without the guilt or expense :-)

Jarred
30-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I meant mk 3 TDI. oopsy. Nothing like factory goodness. I'd need to get rid of the mk 2 first. which means I have to fix it. Summer project!

ryana89
05-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't know why people keep going with all the hassle of wiring crap up with 1.8T's in mk1/mk2's when all you need for a diesel is 12V and a glow plug circuit. At least with a diesel you can enjoy it without the guilt or expense :-)

You sir have just givin me a goal!!!
The thought of a MK2 TDI:bowdown:

Btw read your entire thread and am quite astonished, you've turned the humble, reliable diesel into a monster....aswell as re-confirming my belief that diesels are superior:D

I'll be watching this thread.

gldgti
05-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Boost controller arrived and in this afternoon - 21psi in first gear up to 5000rpm and in every gear after that.

Weeeeeeeeeeee

Dyno later this week... i have no idea what it will do. I'll be happy if I see 110hp.

gldgti
13-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Booked in for dyno Friday afternoon. Sorry it took so long kids.

Jarred
13-10-2010, 05:04 PM
still wanna see some numbers :)

gldgti
15-10-2010, 06:00 PM
OK did the dyno run.

3 runs, made 83kW every time.... thats 110hp in the old speak. I'll put up the scan of the print out when I get home later for you.

Torque curve is interesting, and I'm a bit confused by the whole deal because the scale on the torque curve seems to be out, but the peak value (not on the curve, but the number printed) correlates perfectly to the power curve.... maybe the scale is wrong. I'll go grab another print out on monday with a correct scale.

Anyway, it was extremely consistent and rev'd all the way to 5600RPM!!!!! Power really falls off past 4700 though.

As for the tune, its not too smokey at the moment, i'm convinced it would make a lot more power if t wasnt running out of fuel so much at high revs. A/F ratio went from 9:1 at 1800rpm (off boost) all the way to 30:1 at peak power. Best for power in a diesel is about 15:1, so theres plenty of power to be had there, if I can mod the pump to do it.

On the downside, its really obvious how it doesnt get going under 3000rpm, mainly because of the turbo lag. And, I can't help thinking that I could make 110hp with the K14 (though maybe a bit lower in the rpm range), and gain a bunch of torque to boot.

We shall see. Maybe I just need ot join the VNT crowd?

Jarred
15-10-2010, 08:18 PM
nice!

josh's polo made 80 odd kw, and preeny's van too I think.

I reckon a VNT would be the way to go. I've driven josh's a fair few times, and it's just so nice and smooth, bugger all lag to speak of!

(I know if I had a mk 3 TDI, i'd look at going VNT, or hybrid something :))

gldgti
15-10-2010, 08:37 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/dynoplot_mk3diesel-2.jpg

Bet thats one of the weirdest VW diesel dyno plots around.

Notice how much more like a petrol car's the power curve is.

I'm a little disappointed (but not surprised) at the low peak torque value. I really put that down to lag - its easy to see the turbo really doesnt wake up until 3000rpm. But then, its also pretty obvious that it does reasonably well up to 4700, which is much higher than I thought it would be worth revving to.

I will now look at doing some "passive" mods to improve hhe low down torque - maybe some exhaust modifications (delete muffler and maybe make a new down pipe for earlier spool) and I really want to get in and make an intake manifold with nice long runners, because the stock manifold is absolute trash. That, I reckon, could make a big difference overall, and with a little extra fueling, i don't see why an extra 10-20hp isn't available just with those mods.

I've gotta say though, its nice to put a number to my efforts so far - and given that this beast was 74hp (at the flywheel) when it rolled off the production line 16 years ago, and now 253,000km later it can make 110hp at the wheels, I'm pretty happy :-)

video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC1VeOgegac

gldgti
15-10-2010, 09:35 PM
nice!

I reckon a VNT would be the way to go. I've driven josh's a fair few times, and it's just so nice and smooth, bugger all lag to speak of!

I wonder who would win a drag between josh and me?
(personally, i reckon he'd look better in a dress than me, i have a beard.... :-)

Jarred
15-10-2010, 09:56 PM
it would be interesting, that's for sure.

You might have the edge in slightly less weight, but he's practically always on boost, so who knows...

and josh wouldn't look good in a dress. no one wants to see that! :|

WABIT
15-10-2010, 10:18 PM
nice!

hey jarred! Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 9N Polo turbos' non VNT?

Jarred
15-10-2010, 10:27 PM
i'm pretty sure josh's (is that a 9N??) is VNT. VNT15a I think? mechanically actuated too iirc.

Buller_Scott
16-10-2010, 09:21 AM
yeah, we have vnt15's, as far as im aware it's a borg warner bv39 from what i've researched.

gldgti
25-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Fuel economy update....

Last 2 fillups after the dyno - 5.2l/100km and 5.5l/100km.

100%Bio.

I love my mk3.

GoLfMan
25-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I wonder who would win a drag between josh and me?
(personally, i reckon he'd look better in a dress than me, i have a beard.... :-)

haha You'd win at the minute, sold my chip... but new tune coming ;)

I recon I'd get the pip thanks to instant boost and my superior manly looks :P

gldgti
25-10-2010, 05:31 PM
...and my superior manly looks :P

you have no beard, so this doesnt make any sense to me.

Beards FTW!

***edit - actually, you might have a beard, i havnt seen you since the nationals that time....

GoLfMan
25-10-2010, 05:45 PM
you have no beard, so this doesnt make any sense to me.

Beards FTW!

***edit - actually, you might have a beard, i havnt seen you since the nationals that time....
Im rocking stubble, close enough :P

gldgti
26-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm finally getting around to my new manifold design....

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/manifold1c-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/manifold1b-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/manifold1a-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/manifold1-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/manifold1d-3.jpg

should look nice curved over the valve cover... It will clear the factory oil separator on the right and there ought to be plenty enough room to get the oil filler cap off and fill using my normal slanted funnell.

its a bit of fun anyway. :-)

Best part is I can use my geometry to make a dxf with all the parts on it, and get them lasercut. Then I just have to weld them all together :-)

Gigitt
26-10-2010, 06:43 PM
That's looking good... I have been watching you build thread for a while.

Can I ask why the double plenum?

gldgti
26-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Basically.... if I'm to be bothered to make a manifold, it might as well be a double plenum one :-). I also figure down the track, when I have to rebuild this engine (its only on 256,000km at he moment, but I do a lot of km and I plan to keep the car for a long while) - with a fresh bottom end and some porting there's no reason for me not to push past 30psi. Once you get up in this region, its more important to have good flow distribution between the cylinders - makes it less likely to burn pistons 1 and 4, or bend conrods 2 and 3.

Preen59
26-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Interesting.. :)

Greg Roles
27-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Geezuz that's serious stuff! Awesome!!

Any reason for the smaller slot between the initial round plenum and the box?? Seems to be the point of restriction in an awesome design!

Oh and please put bellmouths on top of those individual runners!

gldgti
27-10-2010, 05:55 PM
you got it Greg, those will be bellmouths, but i couldnt be bothered doing it on the model (which is really just for me to check sizing and get geometry to have the flat sections lasercut).

The slot has a cross sectional area 80% of the area of the inlet pipe (2.5"). This is necessary with the double plenum in order for it work properly (the slot area should be equal to or a little less than the area of the inlet) so that all of the flow doesnt end up at the cylinder furthest away from the inlet pipe (due to the momentum of the gas). When the slot area is smaller, the primary plenum "pressurises" compared to the secondary, so that flow into the secondary is more balanced.

Imagine a vertical cylinder, with some holes drilled down its length, and the bottom end capped. If you pour water into the cylinder at the same rate at which it can exit (as the water is incompressible) then the holes at hte bottom of the cylinder will flow more water than the onces at the top. Now imagine instead that you pressurise the cylinder by trying to add more water than will flow out of the holes - the jets of water at the top will be almost as powerful as those at the bottom.

It should still flow far better than what I have now - the smallest part of the stock inlet manifold is equal to about a 1/3/4" (1550mm^2)circle, whereas the slot area is more like equal to a 2.25" (2565mm^2).

Greg Roles
27-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I bow to the plenum master....carry on!

gldgti
13-01-2011, 08:50 PM
A little update...

Been real busy at work and in wedding preps during the past little while so the manifold project hasnt moved much - however - this evening I decided to try a little tweaking and turned the fuelling up a little more. I fully expected a bit more smoke for not much gain but a funny thing has happenned...

Before the tweak, taking off in traffic, being off boost, I could soot out the back pretty badly, up hill or similarly because i would have to give it quite a lot of pedal to get moving at low revs. But - with the increased fuelling, it seems to be helping the spool up quite a lot - and as such, I can take off more easily and with less soot! Big bonus for me really, because smoking in traffic is the whole reason I hadnt turned the fuel up since refitting the big merc turbo. The further bonus is that the car is much faster through the rev range. This makes 2 fuelling increases after I had the car dyno'd last, and given the feel of the thing, I reckon quite a lot more power.

Happy days :-)

Preen59
13-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Nice work dude. Makes sense when you think about it. More fuel= more energy= more expansion= increased spool. :)

Greg Roles
14-01-2011, 10:36 AM
I agree with the businessman above, I always equate a turbo to a heat pump: more fuel = more heat = more spool.

Glad someone is tinkering on diesels, I'm having withdrawl anxiety ( but very busy on other projects all the same! )

Jarred
14-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Can't wait to get fiddling with my TDI!

thestu
14-01-2011, 01:41 PM
loving your build dude! some good work is going on :)

gldgti
14-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

The "more fuel = more energy = more expansion = more spool" equation is pretty logical, but preventing too much smoke on spool is the hard part. The way the pump delivers fuel seems to change depending on whether it is because of an increased accelerator setting, or alternatively a max fuel screw adjustment.

Like a lot of things to do with cars, tuning the VE pump is half science and half an art form, it seems.

gldgti
25-03-2011, 05:11 PM
little update:

some long overdue maintenance is beginning on the diesel this weekend, starting with the infamous heater core!

While I have the dash apart I will be moving my stereo head unit out, and moving my oil pressure, exhaust gast temp and boost guages to the stereo hole with my fancy new mk3 guage cluster courtesy of Carformance!

Then, i have the following new parts to fit:

> 280mm front disks, ATE Premium One
> OEM rear disks
> VR6 heavy duty front strut mounts
> Provent 200 (also courtesy of Carformance)

I'll have to wait and see how the heater core job goes, its going to be massive and I don't think my chances of getting the brakes done this weekend are looking much good.

gldgti
30-03-2011, 05:11 PM
got my provent installed, plus strut tops, front brakes and new headlights. next weekend I will attempt the dash.

Greg Roles
30-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Pics dude! C'mon...

Jarred
30-03-2011, 10:01 PM
did you ever get it dyno'd?

I'm hoping to get mine done april 9, at the melb dyno day.

Preen59
30-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Nice!!

I can't wait to get back up your way and check out the new deal. Good stuff, dude. :)

gldgti
31-03-2011, 08:44 AM
i did get it dyno'd jarred, theres a plot a few pages back. I will probably go to the sydney dyno day in a few weeks too.

Greg, I'll get some pics up this weekend I promise - I'm very happy with the provent install, even though I havent driven the car all week so I don't know if it catches anything yet. I'm sure it will though :-)

gldgti
03-04-2011, 08:49 PM
BAH!

Spent ALL DAY Saturday pulling the dash apart to get the heater matrix out (okay, so I was helping a mate replace control arm bushings in his e46 330ci aswell...). Its every bit as bad as everyone said it would be.

Today I pressure tested the old matrix and found that it didn't leak at all until about 16psi. Unfortunately, the new heater matrix that I got from GAP was not quite what I needed - a LHD matrix is actually different from a RHD one - the pipes are a bit longer and flange to the firewall is slightly different on our RHD mk3's. So, after a bit of thought, I folded back all the steel tabs holding the plastic end tank onto the new core, and swapped the old plastic tank onto the new core. After I'd finished I pressure tested the new assembly to over 30psi, so I'm happy that the end tank swap will be fine.

After a rather more relaxed day today putting everything back together (I also refurbished the little air deflector flaps inside the HVAC system after ofcourse all of the foam matting blew out of the vents over the past few years) I set to work re-installing my gauges with the new 42DD gauge holder.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/P1010360-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/P1010361-2.jpg

my new duel chamber headlights
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/P1010362-2.jpg

and my provent 200
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/P1010357-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/P1010358-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/P1010359-2.jpg

I made a bracket for the provent straight off of one of the charge pipes, for lack of anywhere else really good to put it. For now I have a little clear PVC pipe with a tap in it coming off the drain so that I can see when its cought some oil and dimply drain it under the car.

One more weekend to do the rear brakes and giver her a tidy up and I'll be happy.

Preen59
03-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Nice work, dude!!

gldgti
16-04-2011, 10:11 PM
did well on the dyno today, 88 odd kw at the wheels. the car made 80 on the first run, and about 86 on the second (foot further into the carpet i reckon) - the nice man operating the dyno and my car offered that it "NEEDS MORE FUEL!" so with a screwdriver and spanner i turned the fuel screw in 1/4 turn and she made 88kw - i'm quite happy with that.

I can hear the turbo surging below 3k now so i'm a little concerned that its at a kind of tipping point. I think a better manifold would help flow mroe air at low engine speeds and improve the turbo situation, cos i dont like it surging like that.

anyway, pretty good number from the old girl. made about 230nm, which is 40 up from the last time on the dyno :-D

Preen59
16-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Well done dude. I'm impressed!! :)

Jarred
17-04-2011, 12:48 PM
good work!

My relatively standard TDI (not mechanical, basically all standard) made 75fwkw's. I'm looking forward to upping that in the future though... :D

gldgti
18-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Jarred,
Thats pretty good numbers from your TDI. If you look, Marco's TDI made about that on the dyno on the same day as mine and he has modified exhaust, chipped, PD-130 intake and a few other bits and pieces.

THe 1z is supposed to be 90hp stock. Any chance you have an AHU in your car (110hp stock)?

Thanks Chris, I'm pretty pleased with the result. I figure now I must have doubled the HP at the crank from stock in my car, which is pretty cool I reckon. ON wards and upwards as they say!

Jarred
18-04-2011, 09:00 AM
I thought it was a 1Z, but I'll double check. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's been fettled with (either chipped, maybe injectors) but was never 100% sure. Part of getting it dyno'd was to give me a base to see how it's running, what power it's putting out etc.

Who is Marco? I wouldn't mind PM'ing him, to find out more about his car. :)

gldgti
18-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Actually I'm not 100% sure about his username..... maybe he'll pm you :-)

I'd be surprised if yours is a 1z making that power at the wheels if it hasn't been played with a bit. You should start a thread :-) Do you have a boost gauge?

Greg Roles
18-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Nice update mate, makes me realise my own efforts are REALLY lagging behind!

Love all the blue plumbing, glad the hoses match the intercooler pipework. Those are pretty damn good number mate, my GT TDI put out only 113kw stock, and the MKV has got a bit more lard onboard!

On the Provent front, I'm convinced that it does such a good job of collecting just filtered oil, that it is safe to return to sump. I've kept over two years worth of drainage and it hasn't got any layers, no water at all. My own "return to sump" experiment has been working just fine, and it makes for one clean and hassle free install!

The gauges look the berries, just make sure you don't run up someones date watching them!

Jarred
18-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I do, hits around 20psi, then backs off to around 15psi. (Another reason I think it may have been fettled with previously)

I'll start a thread once I start doing some work on it. Atm, flat out with uni, and any spare 'car' time is spent on the mk 2 VR.

gldgti
18-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks Greg - I used to have the gauges way down in the console below the ash tray, so I think its safer now as instead of looking completely away from the road I only have to look a little bit away :-) .....

Your comments on the provent catchings is good info. I need to modify the breather hose from the block to the head anyway, so I think I will simply put provision there to plumb the oil back into the case. Do you just have a little non-return valve on it?

This has inspired me to get into the manifold work once again, I might revise my design so that I can make it out of stainless, mainly because it will be a lot easier for me to do that than make it from alluminium. Apart from being busy, its just extra effort to try and source it whereas stainless is easy for me to get hold of (and weld!)

Greg Roles
18-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I used the Mann PCV valve. I couldn't find one that sealed as well, bought two off ebay USA before I bit the bullet and just got the Mann one, and I can confirm it is very low pressure and seals ABSOLUTELY air tight, but it's $22 retail which is a bit steep. Obviously cheaper for diesel tinkerers, but yeah if you can find a low pressure well sealing one, I'd love to hear about it!

You have motivated ME to get my plumbing in, and get back to making some real progress now that I am definately keeping the thing, and there's no more warranty to worry about - not that I had much since that first dremel touch.

Gigitt
20-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Jarred... I'm the Marko with the TDI.

I just posted a thread Evolution of my Sooty - with Dynos (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f28/evolution-my-sooty-dynos-57803.html).

There are Dyno plots showing results from Stock to now - and a list of engine mods that gave me the power.

Stock 1Z TDI is 90HP (66kw) Engine and that is 43.7kw ATW for me.

Your car does sound like it has been chipped and a bit more. A Chipped car boost spikes and you should run a boostvalve of some sort - if it runs in parallel with the N75 you can set it to limit boost spikes. Set it to pop at 17 or 17.5 PSI. You should not be going over 18PSI on that little snail.

gldgti
20-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Heres my new dyno plot to keep good records of my progress...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/dyno_april_11-2.jpg

I also posted it in your thread Marko just to show a side by side comarison of small/big turbo

The only part of the plot that's a little bit awry is just at the top of the rev range on the red line. I would say that the dyno operator took his foot off a little early. There's no reason mechanically speaking with the injector pump for that dip at the end, other than a decrease in accelerator setting. I think I'f I'd assured the operator that is was OK to rev it past 5000 the result would have been even better.

Still, you can see from the plot that theres a decent 10% gain with that 1/4 turn of the fuel screw. Now I just need a decent intake to take the load off the turbo and free up that power.

Jarred
20-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Yea, defiantly. Little bit more fuel defiantly made a difference!

gldgti
03-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, bit of an update. Might keep this one going for a week or so.

Car is off the road due to I had a couple of oil/coolant leaks I wanted to take care of... so I got it up on stands to take a look around and found a million things to do.

> new front brake hoses
> turbo wastegate bushing needed attention (was working its way free of the turbine housing)
> 2 minor coolant leaks from ageing and impossible to find hoses
> oil leak from valve cover
> oil leak from oil filter housing
> a/c line damaged from rubbing on intercooler (looks like the intercooler has moved back at the bottom a few mm at some stage... ahh well.)
> still not happy with intake manifold
> minor oil leak from turbo oil supply line fitting.

with all that on the list, i decided to take care of all of it at once so I can actually enjoy the car a bit. so i have ordered:

> stainless bends for new custom coolant hardlines to replace crappy old rubber hoses
> silicone end couplers for ^^^^
> a fancy oil cooler kit (with thermostat) from TPR engineering (thanks Chris!)
> sourced a couple of brake hoses
> can't find an a/c line, seems like my diesel is different from all the petrol models
> found a manifold at Camden GTI that I like and picked it up. Its from a 4 cylinder transporter TDI and looks uncannily the same as a PD150 intake, (don't worry folks, I've even done some work on my custom manifold project - not giving up on it I just want something bolt on at the moment so I can get my custom one done right)
> drew up and ordered a couple of stainless lasercut flanges to bolt up to the t4 manifold to replace the factory EGR/antishudder valve with a straight pipe.

hoping to have it all done for, or during, the long weekend.

should be good!

gldgti
04-06-2011, 07:46 PM
had a visit with the dentist this morning so the going was pretty slow today but I got the turbo refitted and the new manifold... which took a LOT of cleaning. i spent half and hour with the karcher and 2 tins of degreaser :-)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/P1010381-1.jpg

car all apart...

manifold in situ
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/P1010378-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/P1010377-1.jpg
not a lot, but there is a tiny bit of clearance there!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/P1010376-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/P1010375-1.jpg
the stock manifold
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/P1010374-1.jpg

Greg Roles
04-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Good stuff mate, cleaning out manifolds has to be one of the trickiest jobs there is.

Also good to see you maxing out the impeller housing space, way to go!

Preen59
04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Nice work, dude. :)

I see what you were talking about with the cam cover gasket now.. Yuck.

gldgti
04-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Nice work, dude. :)

I see what you were talking about with the cam cover gasket now.. Yuck.

yah - even those 4 holes are just locating holes (not threaded) for some little rubber studs in the rubber gasket face....

gldgti
04-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Good stuff mate, cleaning out manifolds has to be one of the trickiest jobs there is.

Also good to see you maxing out the impeller housing space, way to go!

approached with enough gusto, water pressure and persistence, its not too hard.....

one interesting thing - when my car was stock, its had EGR which I removed about 90,000km ago. At the time of removal, I cleaned out the stock manifold of all the sludge.... but without removing teh head from the engine, there was no way to clean out in intake ports, which were just as fouled as the manifold.

Anyway, I had a good peer in there today, and all of the sludge is gone. I guess lots of air, the bit of blowby oil and maybe some water vapour has cleaned it all out over time :-) When I removed the EGR, my car had about 165,000km on it. Just goes to show - just like quitting smoking - its never too late!

gldgti
26-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey folks, just to let all you maybe interested dieselers, I'm selling my beloved mk3. See post in classifieds section.

With the cabriolet to work on and a mk1 project car I havent touched in a LONG time, it is time to find something newer, and less time consuming, so that I can actually get into the mk1.

I actually shed a tear a few minutes ago posting up my FS ad. :-(

Jarred
26-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Sad to see.

you diesel was always a bit of an inspiration! and you've certainly done some great stuff to it,.

Just wondering, how do you find the uprated engine mounts? Noticable (unpleasent) increase in vibrations?

and did the 16V cupra 280mm discs fit straight on with early VR6 calipers? Or did you have to fiddle with the carriers? (i'm getting parted up for a brake upgrade atm, which is why I ask :) )

gldgti
26-06-2011, 09:13 PM
jarred,

I actually swapped the cupra 16V knuckles and hubs over. My CL knuckles had the carrier cast in so no swappy.
the 4 stud 280mm brake kit came on the cupra 16V as well as the corrado G60 and I think the golf 3 GTD.

the uprated engine mounts really helped with response, but there isa little more vibration.

Greg Roles
26-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Well that's sad news, your MK3 has pretty much been the only other decent build going on in the diesel section. You kept me on the path many a time, so I hope to see similar build threads on here mate!

Gee it's sad to see a lot of changes from when i started on here 3 years ago!

I still owe you a boost gauge too mate, due in the next few days ( finally )!

gldgti
27-06-2011, 08:50 AM
thanks Greg.

Check the mk1 forum for the build thread for my wifes TD cabriolet, and soon after there will be a build thread for my mk1 project car, which will be more exciting than this one was!