PDA

View Full Version : Battery replacement question

TadgeB8R
27-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Good Day all,

Today I replaced the Battery in the Passat. I was getting an advisory on startup “12 volt battery low, drive to charge”, this started on Sunday, so booked in to the dealership for a new battery, however it finally fell over today. A new battery was installed roadside by Battery World.

Question for you- When I called the dealership to cancel the battery fitting, I was told I would still need to bring it in as the new battery will only charge to the last known voltage of the old battery and it would need to be recalibrated. Has anyone heard of this? Sounds strange to me.

Regards,
Tadge

Hillbilly
27-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Good Day all,

Today I replaced the Battery in the Passat. I was getting an advisory on startup “12 volt battery low, drive to charge”, this started on Sunday, so booked in to the dealership for a new battery, however it finally fell over today. A new battery was installed roadside by Battery World.

Question for you- When I called the dealership to cancel the battery fitting, I was told I would still need to bring it in as the new battery will only charge to the last known voltage of the old battery and it would need to be recalibrated. Has anyone heard of this? Sounds strange to me.

Regards,
Tadge

Yes thats right has to be done How much was the battery and was it the correct AGM model Mine was over $400 for a B7 from a stealer The originals have a chip in them.

TadgeB8R
27-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the reply Hillbilly, much appreciated.

I have asked my wife to email me a copy of the receipt, so unsure of the exact model they replaced the original with. It was $460 from Battery World.

Its off to the dealership on Thursday, so see how they go. The car is 14 months old so hope I get some more life out of this one!

Tadge

Hillbilly
27-02-2018, 02:48 PM
*****t I got 5.75 years out of mine and only drive it about twice a month which kills them quicker than using it every day. You flunked there as you should have asked for a warranty replacement at 14mn months

TadgeB8R
27-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Agreed! Not too happy, My wife was dropping the young ones to school, that is where it gave up. I'll have to suck up this one as it was convenient, rather than dealing with the dealership. The car is booked in for next Thursday, would this affect the new battery to wait that long for the recalibration?

Hillbilly
27-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Dont think so

kamold
27-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Yes, the stop-start systems need to be calibrated, as they need to know the battery capacity and chemistry (and manufacturer) in order to correctly calculate when to disable the stop-start system.
Also has a battery serial number but this can just be set to 11111111, it's not important.
Can be done with VCDS or OBD11 also, it doesn't need dealer tools. It's done in the address 19 Canbus Gateway.
But it does need to be done for the SS system to operate correctly.
If it hasn't been done on a new battery for a few days or weeks I would guess that it's not a huge deal.

If you had an EFB battery, can recommend replacing it with an AGM. Particularly if you leave your car for extended periods in a busy carpark like an airport etc where the KESSY system can seem to be woken every time someone with a compatible keyfob walks past....like an anxious pet awaiting the return of it's owner...
'yay!!! he's home!!! time to play!!! Oh no, it's not my owner...... :(
rinse, repeat....

ope126
27-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Good Day all,

Regards,
Tadge

Please note your battery is covered for 24mths from Volkswagen.

Talk to your dealer or keep the receipt and discuss with VW Customer Care.
From a recent personal experience similar to yours, they WILL look after you! :banana: