PDA

View Full Version : Wireless QI Charging on Passat 206TSI MY18

Skerz2001
24-02-2018, 04:02 PM
So I picked up my 206 a couple of weeks back and just discovered the matt in what should be the ashtray location, with picture of a phone and wireless symbol. The manual say it should be QI/Wireless charging, but when i put my wife's iPhone 8 on it nothing happened. I know the Golf has this function but can't find anywhere on the net that indicates the Passat has it.

I'm just wondering whether anybody else has seen this and has gotten it to work, or is just a safe place to put my phone with a generic matt.

PS: Forgive me if this has already been answered.

zzc2010
24-02-2018, 04:04 PM
So I picked up my 206 a couple of weeks back and just discovered the matt in what should be the ashtray location, with picture of a phone and wireless symbol. The manual say it should be QI/Wireless charging, but when i put my wife's iPhone 8 on it nothing happened. I know the Golf has this function but can't find anywhere on the net that indicates the Passat has it.

I'm just wondering whether anybody else has seen this and has gotten it to work, or is just a safe place to put my phone with a generic matt.

PS: Forgive me if this has already been answered.

No wireless charging offered yet.

The symbol is for phone box.

It enhance your mobile signal.

I can’t even put my iPhone X in.

It’s too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket36
26-02-2018, 10:10 AM
They really screwed up the design of that tray. It fits nothing bigger than a standard iPhone 6/7/8 without any case. And even then it's a squeeze.

zzc2010
26-02-2018, 10:21 AM
They really screwed up the design of that tray. It fits nothing bigger than a standard iPhone 6/7/8 without any case. And even then it's a squeeze.

The redesigned wireless charging box will fit but no in Australia.

Probably MY 19 or 20 lol

Rocket36
26-02-2018, 03:09 PM
The redesigned wireless charging box will fit but no in Australia.

What do you mean? Will it or won't it?

dArK5HaD0w
26-02-2018, 07:58 PM
The Skoda Superb came with a Phone Box that has Wireless Charging and Phone Signal Booster.
Apparently the signal boosting was not certified for use in Australia - so the Phone Box was disabled when the car was serviced.
Mine (MY17) still has both.
MY18.5 Superbs will see the Phone Box return, but will have just the wireless charging. No signal booster.

zzc2010
26-02-2018, 10:04 PM
The Skoda Superb came with a Phone Box that has Wireless Charging and Phone Signal Booster.
Apparently the signal boosting was not certified for use in Australia - so the Phone Box was disabled when the car was serviced.
Mine (MY17) still has both.
MY18.5 Superbs will see the Phone Box return, but will have just the wireless charging. No signal booster.

Good to know that.

Thanks.

VW will follow for sure.

Jimi
26-02-2018, 10:10 PM
It’s weird the MY18.5 Superbs get it but not the 18.5 Passats

Rocket36
27-02-2018, 12:04 PM
It’s weird the MY18.5 Superbs get it but not the 18.5 Passats

Umbrellas and phone charging. They'll be dry and have enough phone charge to call someone and complain about the rain.

We'll be wet and have to keep it to ourselves. LOL!

This sort of thing irks me. These things are available and make diddly squat difference to retail price. So just put them in! People will still pay the $30k or more extra for four circles so let them.

Rocket36
06-03-2018, 09:12 AM
So can the tray with the USB socket that gets in the way of almost ALL phones fitting in the tray be removed?

I found this...
Inbay storage compartment Qi Charger for VW Passat B8 Smartphone charge wireless | eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inbay-storage-compartment-Qi-Charger-for-VW-Passat-B8-Smartphone-charge-wireless-/352193396228)

Pete the Pomme
06-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Looks interesting, anyone game to give it a try?

It'll only really be useful when Android Auto can be connected wirelessly. Until then, the phone will charge through the USB.

Rocket36
06-03-2018, 02:15 PM
It'll only really be useful when Android Auto can be connected wirelessly. Until then, the phone will charge through the USB.

Unless, like me you almost never connect your phone. I.e. I use bluetooth but with the phone sitting in there it may as well be charging.

doc_777
06-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Zachery. Some us dont like the crappy android auto or Apple CarPlay interfaces.

Rocket36
22-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Some us dont like the crappy android auto or Apple CarPlay interfaces.

Which should also be wireless!

Rocket36
22-03-2018, 03:15 PM
had a quick look today. i can't work out how to remove the existing tray... anyone have any thoughts?