PDA

View Full Version : Vibration noise coming from door trims, anyone?

zzc2010
12-02-2018, 01:16 AM
Hi

My Passat got some vibration noises coming from the door trims when the bass was booming or harsh roads.

I don't know if it is the speaker hitting something, bottom out or loose door trims and panels. Sometimes, it sounds like the windows were vibrating and hitting too.

The car is heading to its first service two weeks later.

Anyone has the same issue or experience?

B pillar trims? Door Panel? Door trims? Windows? Speakers?

Neal

DR074
12-02-2018, 06:15 AM
Mine has a small rattle on the door trim, at the base of the drivers window. This only occurs on really rough roads, and is only just audible. In every other scenario, its tight as a drum. 10,000kms travelled.

Rocket36
12-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Very very minor noise in my rear passenger speaker/door trim. A firm push on the speak and it was gone (for now).

Otherwise, tighter than a nun!

110Rliner
12-02-2018, 02:29 PM
I have a slight rattle coming from the the silver strip on the drivers door (the same the led light strip is on).

It's intermittent but bass from the speakers sets it right off, and if I hold my elbow against it while driving it stops.

VW had a look and said they tightened everything but the issue still persists. Bloody annoying!

Hillbilly
12-02-2018, 06:19 PM
I have a slight rattle coming from the the silver strip on the drivers door (the same the led light strip is on).

It's intermittent but bass from the speakers sets it right off, and if I hold my elbow against it while driving it stops.

VW had a look and said they tightened everything but the issue still persists. Bloody annoying!

In the B7's the dash binnacle trim would rattle I fixed mine by putting foam in behind it and thin foam over the clips and pushing them in firmly. Took ages to work out what it was but doesnt do it any more

Rocket36
13-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Sounds exactly what I had on my rear passenger speaker. Such is life with snap-lock cars. I just pushed on mine and it stopped, at least for now.

As an aside, I installed my new 2 channel dashcam yesterday. Having installed many over the years, I have to say the VW trim is absolutely the tightest and stiffest I've done after removing tailgate, roof, and sill trims. Many Commodores and Asian cars have had very flexible trim and pull apart easily. The VW was a bitch! But put back together and it's all still tight as a mofo. Took it for a drive and no noise.

NPR
14-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Constant buzz from right rear door trim around the small speaker area in my Wolfsburg Alltrack. Pressing the silver trim will temporarily suppress it, but it always returns. Right near my ear and very annoying. It was also identified by the dealer and they’re seeking to replace the trim. Worse when it’s cold and on coarse chip roads.

doc_777
14-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Constant buzz from right rear door trim around the small speaker area in my Wolfsburg Alltrack. Pressing the silver trim will temporarily suppress it, but it always returns. Right near my ear and very annoying. It was also identified by the dealer and they’re seeking to replace the trim. Worse when it’s cold and on coarse chip roads.

what you describe is what I can hear in my Alltrack Wolfsburg. Hmmm... that being said, I don’t like having dealers pull my car apart so am not inclined to have the dealer do anything with it.

NPR
16-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Yep, agreed but it is driving me insane. I’ve opted for the trim replacement just to get it fixed. Fingers crossed.

zzc2010
16-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Yep, agreed but it is driving me insane. I’ve opted for the trim replacement just to get it fixed. Fingers crossed.

Are you replacing the trim only or the whole door panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillbilly
16-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Try what I did it worked a treat If you use body tools the panels come off ok except for the front door panels which have a clip right in the very centre. A long heavy screwdriver and a little twist in against it got it out I spread the metal clips a bit when replacing the panels and I think they gripped a bit better Has been 3 years and its still quiet

Edit Spelling

zzc2010
16-02-2018, 07:54 PM
Try what I did it worked a treat If you use body tools the panels come off ok except for the front door panels which have a clip right in the very centre. A long heavy screwdriver and a little twist in against it got it out I spread the meat clips abit when replacing the panels and I think they gripped a bit better Has been 3 years and its still quiet

I’m planning to do that if no one can treat it.

Great advice.

Thank you

Hillbilly
16-02-2018, 08:06 PM
I’m planning to do that if no one can treat it.

Great advice.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Was only thin foam like 5-8mm thick and quite pliable. not styrene stuff more like wrapping stuff

zzc2010
16-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Was only thin foam like 5-8mm thick and quite pliable

Sound good.

NPR
20-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Are you replacing the trim only or the whole door panel?

Yet to see. Early suggestions is they’re getting the speaker part from Germany, but have yet to clarify.

zzc2010
20-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Yet to see. Early suggestions is they’re getting the speaker part from Germany, but have yet to clarify.

I saw a TPI replacing the speakers.

The speakers are hitting the trims.

Keep me updated.

Wynnston
23-02-2018, 09:21 PM
The top plastic part of the door trim surrounding the tweeter will be the culprit. Mine all do it but I've also boosted the sound system with an AMP etc. When I have the time to replace my speakers I will get some dynamat put around the area.

zzc2010
23-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Took the car to dealer and they said they can hear nothing.

Maybe deal with the noises next time or maybe myself reassembly the door again.

NPR
03-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Took the car to dealer and they said they can hear nothing.

This is the most frustrating phase of rattle control, trying to get the dealer to acknowledge it. I spent 12 months trying to get my dealer to identify the B-pillar rattle in my 2006 B6, and it took a world-wide service notice to make them move on it. Poor factory galvanising had separated in a large proportion of the initial build.

Anyway, getting the new trim next week... In the mean time the left hand side trim has started chattering. Sigh.

Rocket36
05-03-2018, 10:52 AM
In the mean time the left hand side trim has started chattering. Sigh.

Turn the heater up maybe? :P

Sedgie
05-03-2018, 08:02 PM
This is the most frustrating phase of rattle control, trying to get the dealer to acknowledge it. I spent 12 months trying to get my dealer to identify the B-pillar rattle in my 2006 B6, and it took a world-wide service notice to make them move on it. Poor factory galvanising had separated in a large proportion of the initial build.

Anyway, getting the new trim next week... In the mean time the left hand side trim has started chattering. Sigh.

I noticed it with mine today starting only 2500ks on the clock. Passenger door and the rattle stops if I press against the arm rest. Only notice it on the course highway roads. I think it's that and the tweeter plastics.

I'll probably mention it at the first service but I'm not sure how keen I am on the dealer pulling doors apart.

Rocket36
06-03-2018, 08:38 AM
The other thing is, mine went away on its own and I'm over 5,000km already. Yeah I do a lot of km. So it may be a "phase". Loosen up after time?

doc_777
06-03-2018, 08:52 AM
I'm at ~14k KM. Noise is still there.

NPR
07-03-2018, 03:06 PM
The other thing is, mine went away on its own and I'm over 5,000km already. Yeah I do a lot of km. So it may be a "phase". Loosen up after time?

I’d like to think so but not only is it becoming more persistent at 32000km, but the other side is revealing its need for conversation too.

NPR
30-03-2018, 06:20 PM
OK, so I've had the door surgery done earlier in the week, and so far so good. But of course, early days.
The dealership replaced a speaker moulding, not the whole door trim, but it was the apparent source of the problem.

For those interested, the part number is 3G0867420DJLV, and is described as 'Moulding'. I didn't actually see what they replaced so no description beyond that. Sorry.

Nick