PDA

View Full Version : diy wheel repair - whats the right silver paint.

AWD
24-01-2008, 07:37 PM
hi,

I want to have a go at repairing my own wheel scuffs and scrapes.

This site makes it look achievable http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml but where can I find this Wurths Silver Lacquer.

Or is there another brand that matches German wheel silver..?

Thanks

Golf Houso
24-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Its not worth the effort, just find a nice colour from supercheap or something, i.e black. And refurbish and respray all the wheels. Its not worth the effort trying to colour code the wheels, trust me. Many others have gone down this path to the same decision.

check the DIY paint your wheels thread in the bodywork and trim section!

Mischa
24-01-2008, 08:21 PM
hi,

I want to have a go at repairing my own wheel scuffs and scrapes.

This site makes it look achievable http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml but where can I find this Wurths Silver Lacquer.

Or is there another brand that matches German wheel silver..?

Thanks

lol hmmm i think silver is silver is silver... theres no special german silver

Golf Houso
24-01-2008, 08:29 PM

Hmnn German silver.... its like... less emotional or something? Does it like, make your car more efficient and productive?

Lol jokes, you could always go to a paint shop and get it color coded, or unless your a panel beater i very much doubt you can get a silver anywhere close to the ones on your rims.

Just paint it black... I see a red door and want to paint it black, no colors anymore I want it to turn black...

rayray086
24-01-2008, 09:25 PM
That DIY was pretty good! Matching ain't easy.

I've seen Wurth's gold paint (used on genuine BBS wheels that came out gold from the factory) for sale on US eBay once.

Golf Houso
24-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Matching ain't easy.

I've seen Wurth's gold paint (used on genuine BBS wheels that came out gold from the factory) for sale on US eBay once.

Note the once....

Yeah thats a good DIY, I used it as a guide on my wheels. as before, paint it black...

AWD
25-01-2008, 07:38 AM
i saw the other black wheels thread but no go on that option.

blue bora on black?.. nah.

The_Hawk
25-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Both my fronts have makrs like this:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/09/IMG_5612-1.jpg

The rears are great. Right now I would settle for a quick and dirty fix, like a light sand of the scratch to remove the rubbish and a quick overspray in the right silver. Sure it won't look perfect, but it will remove the obvious gaping scratch you see straight away. :D

As for silver being silver... I have been told there are lots of different types of silver... maybe someone should build a database of wheels and what silver they use... would be handy for some of us.

Jarred
25-01-2008, 08:00 AM
yea there are lots of different types of silvers, as there are lots of different blacks blues greens white etc etc etc. Try ring WheelFX (i think they are the people) they are in sydney and got a plug in StreetMachine so they must be alright. They will be able to fix the wheels, and prob give you a hint or two with the silver ;)

The_Hawk
25-01-2008, 08:12 AM
To fix up a rim has been quoted at ~$150 a corner. If you wanted repairs on all 4 you would want to like the rims since a new set wouldn't be much more and you could keep the current ones as spares, which is always handy.

AWD
25-01-2008, 08:36 AM
~150 is a great price, thats near campbelltown i take it?
inner west & north shore sucks with their pricing.

ill have to hit up around bankstown and liverpool.

The_Hawk
25-01-2008, 08:41 AM
No idea, the local wheel place said thats around what I'm looking to fix up my wheels...

Plan B is to buy TWO new mags in a different style but the same size... then put two on one side and two on the other...

Then you get TWO! different looks for the price of one AND it's impossible to see two different wheels at any one time :D

/Joke

The_Hawk
25-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Update. I went to Oz Wheels in St Marys today and they said $95 a rim to clean up and respray my damage. They have a website, but it's waaay out of date. (and has the wrong details listed).

Ozwheel
http://www.ozwheelaustralia.com.au/1.html
Unit 1/86 Glossop St
Sy Marys NSW 2760
02 9623 7179

AWD
25-01-2008, 01:56 PM
sounds almost too cheap.

price ive been getting is about $200, with some goon wanting $300+gst.
same type of scratch as yours.

rayray086
25-01-2008, 04:43 PM
That price might be all 4 wheels! $95/rim is pretty average.

Golf Houso
25-01-2008, 07:03 PM

Big O' tires in Moorebank do rims for 120 each completely refurbished!

Golf Houso
25-01-2008, 07:05 PM
No idea, the local wheel place said thats around what I'm looking to fix up my wheels...

Plan B is to buy TWO new mags in a different style but the same size... then put two on one side and two on the other...

Then you get TWO! different looks for the price of one AND it's impossible to see two different wheels at any one time :D

/Joke

I actually did that for 3 weeks lol!!!!

Had my rims on one side painted black (left) whilst the other (right) was the original silver. I didn't have time to redo them and I had to do alot of driving as well that time.

I got some real funny looks coming around roundabouts and U turns, and when my mates looked at my car hahahahaha j: