PDA

View Full Version : new clutch

gimp1
24-01-2008, 07:12 PM
well im looking for a heavy duty clutch, but i duno where to start, could some one please help me, i want a sports clutch, somthing real good, but comes wiht a good price and some advice on were to take my car, i live in melbourne so pretty much in the area... quick n cheap, thanks alot guys :D

DIDZ
24-01-2008, 07:30 PM
1.6, 1.8T, 2.0 ?

For a Golf, Bora, or Beetle ?

Need to be a bit more descriptive...

Golf Houso
24-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Sports clutches and other modifications will remove the smoothness and ease of use associated with OEM too often than not. Keep that in mind before you go bonkers with some serious transmission mods.

gimp1
24-01-2008, 10:21 PM
sorry, i was in a rush, its a 1.8t with boosted turbo, and my clutch now is slipping more than it grips, so im looking into doing this in the very neer future...

any advice would be grately appreciated, sorry again for the breif description befor

NGOLF.U
25-01-2008, 07:28 AM
i just got my clutch replaced last week, i own a gti.

I bought a extreme clutch system which included clutch, clutch cover and fidanzer lightened flywheel..

i got the lot for around $1300.
my acceleration difference is amazing. (plant it anywhere in 1st gear and the wheels will start to skip)
the clutch i got was a solid xtra heavy duty button clutch, its very rough to drive in peak hour and there are a few rattles but that is expected.
however when you give it my god the difference.

schwartza3
25-01-2008, 10:01 AM
sorry, i was in a rush, its a 1.8t with boosted turbo, and my clutch now is slipping more than it grips, so im looking into doing this in the very neer future...

any advice would be grately appreciated, sorry again for the breif description befor

what car? assuming you have a gti and you tranny is a 02J (same as NGOLF.U and mine) you could also go for ecs stage 1 clutch kit (vr6 clutch and G60 fly). it cost me just under 700 inc shipping and it remains as smooth as stock, pedal slightly softer than before. With the chatter/rattles its a bit of a hit n miss and luckily i didnt get any. the car feels a lot quicker, check out the reviews on vortex.

also if you need to adjust the gear linkages for smooter shifting, the shift mechanism on top of the tranny n inside the car on our cars is from the older 02M tranny and not 02J like in the states

NGOLF.U
25-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Is that the golf club lookin thing??

schwartza3
25-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Is that the golf club lookin thing??

i think that golf club looking thing called a shift weight or weighted something, the shift weight its self is the same on both trannys, just below the shift weight is where the difference is and how it can be adjusted. the linkages connect to this. also the shifter inside the car is totaly different, take the cover of the shifter inside and compare it to the 02j shifter and you'll see what i mean.

99gti
25-01-2008, 01:46 PM
i just got my clutch replaced last week, i own a gti.

I bought a extreme clutch system which included clutch, clutch cover and fidanzer lightened flywheel..

i got the lot for around $1300.
my acceleration difference is amazing. (plant it anywhere in 1st gear and the wheels will start to skip)
the clutch i got was a solid xtra heavy duty button clutch, its very rough to drive in peak hour and there are a few rattles but that is expected.
however when you give it my god the difference.

Have you done the dog bone moutn yet Frankee? That also made a hige difference for me in getting the power down..

NGOLF.U
25-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Have you done the dog bone moutn yet Frankee? That also made a hige difference for me in getting the power down..

nah i havent, did you get yours from james?? ill get one this week

badgolfibad
25-01-2008, 03:30 PM
yeh i heard about the ecs tunning clutches cheaper than oem, unless you have some serious hp or your clutch carks it keep the oem there good quality but yeh if i had to replace mine probably would get an ecs one as oem is a rip off.

gpk_gti
25-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Sports clutches and other modifications will remove the smoothness and ease of use associated with OEM too often than not. Keep that in mind before you go bonkers with some serious transmission mods.

im sorry mate,but thats not right.just ask me,dub20v & didz to name a few.
also depends on how "heavy duty" you go for.

DubSteve
25-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Not if you change the clutch master cylinder at the same time for a new one for an extra $200:)

gpk_gti
25-01-2008, 04:34 PM
I didnt and mine is no where near "rough"or "hard".......

if the work is not done correctly , you use inferior products or just dont know how to drive smoothly then im sure you guys are right.

my brother inlaws nissan skyline with 400kw atw(some crazy numbers anyway) has done just about every concievable mod to the gb/drivetrain and even his car is not rough or hard to drive.spent a huge amount of money on it though.

Golf Houso
25-01-2008, 06:19 PM
do you have any more technical information on those modified cars? Like set ups and costs GPKGTI?

DUB 20V
25-01-2008, 06:24 PM
ive got 220kw atw with a stage 1 ecs tuning clutch no probs, just get one,

ecs stage 1 ftw

Golf Houso
25-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Is that just the clutch fitted? Anything else changed?

Golf Houso
25-01-2008, 06:32 PM
yeh i heard about the ecs tunning clutches cheaper than oem, unless you have some serious hp or your clutch carks it keep the oem there good quality but yeh if i had to replace mine probably would get an ecs one as oem is a rip off.

Yeah I agree, I think you oughta fix that wheelspin problem first lol j:

gpk_gti
25-01-2008, 08:11 PM
thats not the issue here golf houso.

people that have driven these modified cars know.people that havent will always make up stories,thats the way forums work.

if you find that there is a need to become mr smarty pants again as you were when you first joined ,id suggest you log off and take a chill pill.

gimp1
25-01-2008, 08:15 PM
thanks guys, so im an apprentice hairdresser, and i rock in about 220 a week, so yeh as u can see my budget is meggga tight, is there anything else going around?

gpk_gti
25-01-2008, 08:28 PM
hmmmm,thats no good,,clutch change will cost you a good $500+ its a pain in the rear job....
talk to didz,he researched the hell out of this topic when he was doing his upgrade and has prices and codes for the interchangable vw fitments.

maybe your best option is laying off the loud peddle!!!:D

DUB 20V
25-01-2008, 08:29 PM
thanks guys, so im an apprentice hairdresser, and i rock in about 220 a week, so yeh as u can see my budget is meggga tight, is there anything else going around?

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm no sorry start saving you can do it for the love of you car :D:D:D

gpk_gti
25-01-2008, 08:36 PM
exedy ,just the clutch plate will cost you about $400 odd from memory when I was shopping around.

gimp1
25-01-2008, 10:52 PM
haha yeh for the past 2 weeks i been layin off the gas, but u realy gotta see what im talking about, i mean, its that bad that i can only give a quater of the gas before it slips, in every gear, im saving like hella bad, but still its so slow with everything else i pay for its killing me...

schwartza3
25-01-2008, 10:58 PM
i got a stock clutch, pressure plate, fly, throw out bearing and a bent clutch fork under my bed :o

99gti
25-01-2008, 11:01 PM
i smell a buy, buy, buy, sell, sell, sel coming along....

D3bb4
26-01-2008, 08:26 AM
The "jolt" or shudders can be caused by incorrectly machined flywheel surface. If it's nice and flat and smooth.... clutch can't grip, so it shudders and jolts...

Else, it can jolt coz heavy clutch.... and you can't ride it. Cushioned button clutches would be the best for performance street use. Exedy don't make one for this model car however. Dunno who if anybody does. A heavy duty shouldn't be bad for street use either. It's more a brass button or a 3 or 4 puk clutch that's designed to be off or on, so you cannot ride it - would cause a 'jolt' too i suppose.

gpk_gti
26-01-2008, 09:33 AM
haha yeh for the past 2 weeks i been layin off the gas, but u realy gotta see what im talking about, i mean, its that bad that i can only give a quater of the gas before it slips, in every gear, im saving like hella bad, but still its so slow with everything else i pay for its killing me...

looks like you have a serious problem.becareful you dont cause any more serious damage.
anyone in melb can help this member out with labour???

gimp1
27-01-2008, 04:49 PM
ill settle for anything, i could rack up 500 or so, i just realy need somthing quick becuase i drive the car every day and its getting significntly worse. so please any one in melbourne willing to sell or even better help me install or advise me somewere who would do it for cheap, let me no asap, thanks guys :(