PDA

View Full Version : Engine Upgrades

midget
20-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Everyone,

Just seeing out what sort of upgrades I can do to my engine to give it some more oomph, would like to do a swap, but its just not feasible.
It's a 2.0L 8v, does anyone know (I'm assuming Loon) if working on these engines are exactly the same as theyre golf counterparts? or are there differences?

Golf Loon
20-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Does it have singlepoint, or multipoint injection?
A pic of your engine will tell us.
The multipoint engines are exactly the same as Mk3 Golf, while the singlepoint are unique to Seat and lower spec cars.
Upgrade to multipoint, a bigger cam and maybe extractors.

midget
20-06-2006, 04:03 PM
from the specs im reading it's multi-point

ill take a pic though and show you

SOHC
20-06-2006, 11:45 PM
HAHA what I did was K an N filter in the box, then some iridium sparkies, and 98RON... goes like............................ A FASTER GOLF N RUNS BIT SMOOTHER!! well thats something you can do if you dun wanna do a big job??

Cheers
Carlson

ibeezer
21-06-2006, 12:16 AM
What part# iridium plugs are you using? Can i use em in my 16v?

SOHC
21-06-2006, 02:48 AM
What part# iridium plugs are you using? Can i use em in my 16v?

Mine's using the BUR6IE i think which is on the 8V, for the normal ones are BUR6ET, they are from NGK, I bought the iridium plugs for around 17-18bucks each. I think you better check on your engine number (the code, ie. 2E, ADY) to make sure and bring them down to Autobun to check them. That what the other guyz in this forum taught me to do.

Carlson

45set
22-06-2006, 07:23 PM
i had a GTi Ibiza before the Teg (DC5 Type R..... best mod i ever did :p)

but after reading a a heap and looking into it... to get a bit of power outta the trusty old 2L 8v... get a full exhaust (extractors back) and strip it :p

but cams and intake are a little better idea :p

evilgidget
29-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Go a stroker kit. Most big bore kits use 83.5mm bore pistons with a 95.5mm crankshaft. This will give it about 2.1 liters. You can also use the 95.5mm crankshaft from a 1.9L TDI engine with larger 84.5mm pistons which would get you very close to 2.2 liters (which is about as big as is safe for the motor).

From there, you can either shave the head about a mm or so to bump up compression, with a big valve head, aftermarket programmable ECU & a nice cam to match, or you can go ECU, big valves & cam with a decompression plate and a big fat blower (or turbo kit).

And ditch the auto transmission.:rolleyes: (unless you want to run the quarter mile j: )

Valver.
30-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Go a stroker kit. Most big bore kits use 83.5mm bore pistons with a 95.5mm crankshaft. This will give it about 2.1 liters. You can also use the 95.5mm crankshaft from a 1.9L TDI engine with larger 84.5mm pistons which would get you very close to 2.2 liters (which is about as big as is safe for the motor).

Sorry, but that is bad advice. The 2.0 8v already doesn't rev very well and is even worse with a diesel crank.

I've read up on this swap several times and all the results are very dismal. Hardly a mentionable power gain anywhere and the cost is ridiculous. There's no point increasing the capacity on an engine that already has inlet valves that are too small and a choked top end...

It is only slightly worth doing if the bottom end is shot. You have $1800 for a crankshaft, $1100 for pistons, plus all new bearings and gaskets, machinist's hours, assembly and mapping time ($1000 for a cheapo ECU, $1500 wiring, equipment and dyno hire and mapping time usually add another $2,000). It can hit $10,000 pretty easily, all for 150-165hp. Wow.

Even the built crossflow 8vs can't even surpass 180hp on ITBs with valve-smashing compression and rattly forged pistons.

You could drop in a 16v for a couple of grand and get 160hp easily.

Don't drop the poor guy into a world of debt for no reason.

Lighten the flywheel a bit, get a 270 cam and a nice exhaust and if you're still not happy, pay $1500 for headwork. If you want more, get a new motor or sell the car ;)

Golf Loon
30-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Yup wise words from the Valver.

8vs are good engines, but the later ones with too much emission gear are choked.

Easiest choices are cam, and exhaust, no internal mods to your engine needed.

My money would be on swopping the head for a kjet GTI head with big valves and a crazy cam. That would free up heaps of power. Put a nice set of extractors and an air filter on it and then you would be travelling!

We need to know midget if it is single or multipoint. Take the pic of your engine. The singlepoint is the weakest link, so if you have that, I`d address that issue first.

Or bung a 16v in it, better than spending $2k on an 8v, or put in a VR6 ;)

Golf Loon
30-06-2006, 08:56 AM
A free mod is to drill holes in the bottom part of your airbox to get more cold air in :)