PDA

View Full Version : Some random thoughts, questions and opinions...

Rocket36
01-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Hi guys,

So I've been away from VWs for a while and after having my 140TDI Highline for over a week now, I thought I'd share some thoughts as well as ask for some advice. These are random and in no particular order. :)

These will seem trivial and perhaps even whinging. But I think they're all usability issues that can either be resolved for the mass market by some more critical testers in the UAT phase of new model development, or made customisable by each owner.

Why does the ACC recognise a car in the right hand lane and match it's speed instead of going past at the speed I've set and relative to the car in front of me? There's a cute little image that appears in the instrument cluster to let me know and all! I get that it can be handy for merging into traffic and assume that's the idea behind it however on 4 or 5 lane roads where people just sit all over the place going less than the limit, I just want to cruise on by in my lane and not be forced to speed match ANOTHER LANE when there's nothing in front of me. (stupid Victorian drivers! I still can't believe how bad they drive down here since moving here 7 years ago).

Why does the instrument cluster nav screen appear automatically when I've set a destination? There's a 12 inch screen showing me the nav information right in the centre console! If I want the nav screen in the instrument cluster, I will set it. I like it and will use it when I want to, but I don't want it forced on me.

My 2009 R36 (that's 9 years ago!) had a cool feature where after using the windscreen washers, the wipers would stop for about 5 seconds and then do one single swipe to get the last few drips. I miss that. Cool feature they should have kept.

Skodas have the umbrellas in the doors and VWs do not? I don't get that. (My R36 had one in the driver's door only)

Skodas get built in retractable sun shades on the rear windows and VWs do not? I've ordered some of these instead: Volkswagen Passat Wagon 2014-2017 B8 Magnetic Window Sun Blind Sun Shade Mesh | eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Volkswagen-Passat-Wagon-2014-2017-B8-Magnetic-Window-Sun-Blind-Sun-Shade-Mesh/222563688913?epid=2147666700&hash=item33d1d461d1:g:T5oAAOSwY~laI3Mu)

The seat moving back when I open the door is awesome. But why doesn't it go back to EXACTLY where I had it. The memory settings don't seem to accept settings that are all the way to the limit of their motion. It's just a little bit, but it's noticeable.

It would be nice to rearrange the main icons in the menu on the centre screen. Have the most used closer to the driver and be customisable for driver preference.

It would be nice to have an OFF button for the HVAC that's not buried in the touch screen menus.

Where is the mute button? Seriously! On the steering wheel there should ALWAYS be a mute button.

Vented/cooled seats! Vented/cooled seats! Vented/cooled seats! Even KIAs have them!

Head-up display. This is something that's actually not a huge disappointment. While I don't think it provides a lot of value add to the driving experience, and I don't miss it thanks to the awesome instrument cluster display, it's a relatively easy tech and in a car that's full of tech, it's an strange omission. And I mean proper head-up display, onto the windscreen, and not the cheap flip-up plastic crap.

The speedo is slow by approx. 4 - 5km/hr across the legal speed range. I get they set them a bit slow, but that's a lot if you ask me. Thankfully they have one of the best cruise controls I've ever used. Being able to actually set the speed you want accurately (so 85km/hr in an 80km/hr zone, etc) and the car actually does that exact speed.

Remote start. Why no remote start? Great for hot/cold days. Set the HVAC to where you're going to want it and be able to start it before getting in. Even the base model Commodores have it!

Auto-stop/start engine function defaults to on and must be manually turned off every time. But worse, and something I think is actually a defect/bug, is even if you leave the driving mode in Eco, you must re-select Eco at every restart to actually get the car to drive in Eco. Now I'm sorry, that last one is unacceptable. It's IN ECO MODE when I turn the car off and back on again but won't DRIVE in Eco mode until I manually reselect it. Auto-stop/start should have a driver configurable default position so the driver doesn't have to constantly turn it off if they prefer it off.

Oh, that brings me to the drive mode and auto-stop/start buttons. Why don't they swap the sides for the RHD market? They swap the side for the round Start button and the spots are already there for the buttons on the right side of the shifter. I'm not one of those whingers when it comes to cup trays and park brakes, indicator stalks or why I push the shifter away from me for manual mode but the buttons, where they're already changing a button and have spots for RHD buttons. Argh!

The location of the cigarette socket in the MY18 is stupid. It should be in the centre console bin. I'll add one in there anyway.

The phone tray with built in charge pad is too small. It doesn't fit my iPhone 7 with case on or anything bigger at all. It fits without the case but I would think this is annoying for a LOT of people with larger phones. Wifey's iPhone 8 Plus doesn't fit and it has wireless charging function.

The centre analog clock. Why? Why didn't they just continue the horizontal lines of dash? You can see the time in two other places.

The windscreen tinted top strip is missed - something I've always preferred to have.

The Airbag warning on the passenger sun visor. Really? The inside would have been enough - don't need both! Detracts from my sexy black headliner.

I'd forgotten about the bonnet having to be up to lift the wipers up. Annoying.

Features that are in the car but just not programed. E.g. multi-coloured LED interior and instruments lights, smart LED headlights etc... Don't make the higher spec models "better" by not enabling the features in the other models, make them higher spec with extra kit! I think it's hilarious that people are paying thousands of dollars more for a couple of lines of code. (yes I know I'm simplifying it)

The AllTrack should get the same headlights and park pilot. The reasons they don't are cop-outs. These two things are the only reason I didn't buy an AllTrack!

All models with the auto tail gate should have the foot sensor. The R-Line kit deleting it is a cop out.

BUT, I still LOVE THIS CAR! With the Luxury Pack and R-Line pack it really is fantastic.

My wife loves it too. At her mothers group they were all jealous. They all have SUVs of some sort, X-Trails, Sorrentos, X3, GLC, etc. One of them, and another friend of hers from work who's just had a baby, have Tiguans. The SUV delusions run strong I guess. Wifey is the only one with a wagon. She opens the back and puts the pram in and it takes up less than a third of the space and they've all marvelled at how much space there is. The rest of them have room for just the pram! lol They say they wish they'd looked at the wagons.

Why are wagons disappearing? They're so practical and VW make them so well. I've had two Holden VE/VF variant wagons over the years. The only thing they win on, is shoulder space. They're a bit wider. And to get a comparative model, it needs to be a Calais V. Still, can't do 5.6l/100km in one of those. We can fit the pram and the great dane in the boot together, the baby in her seat and our bags on the back seat and travel in so much comfort.

Hopefully VW keep improving and tweaking these magnificent wagons.

el1x
01-02-2018, 12:08 PM
That was a serious wall of text.

I believe the ACC recognises the car in the right lane because you technically aren’t supposed to undertake. So it matches the speed.
Just tap the accelerator and it will glide by.

doc_777
01-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Both my B8's default the auto-hold to "on", so dunno what's wrong with yours.

Drive mode - mine stays in the last selected mode (exception being the off-road mode, which the manual clearly states will switch off if the vehicle is turned off).

Bonnet doesn't have to be up to lift the wipers - put them into "service" position.

Rocket36
01-02-2018, 01:29 PM
That was a serious wall of text.

I believe the ACC recognises the car in the right lane because you technically aren’t supposed to undertake. So it matches the speed.
Just tap the accelerator and it will glide by.

Yeah - just my thoughts of ownership after a week. I guess sort of a review. Thanks for the accelerator tip! I'll try that.

Both my B8's default the auto-hold to "on", so dunno what's wrong with yours.

Drive mode - mine stays in the last selected mode (exception being the off-road mode, which the manual clearly states will switch off if the vehicle is turned off).

Bonnet doesn't have to be up to lift the wipers - put them into "service" position.

There's nothing wrong with my auto hold. It just isn't on by default. Regarding drive mode, the car stays in Eco mode. But the gear selector won't indicate E unless I select Eco mode again. I.e. in Eco mode, the selected gear indicator will (if in 4th) show either E4 or S4 depending on what I select. But if I restart the car later it goes back to showing D4 or S4 depending on selection even though the mode is in Eco. If I re-select Eco drive mode, it goes back to showing E4 or S4.

Ah yes, service position for the wipers. I'd forgotten about that! Thanks. :)

Rocket36
01-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Accelerator tap for ACC when it's matching someone in the next lane works perfectly, thanks!

Auto-hold remembers whichever state it's in. I usually turn it off to park, hence off when getting back in most of the time. I noticed today when I stopped for fuel it was still on. So that one was user error. :D

DR074
01-02-2018, 08:00 PM
They don't sound like random thoughts, sounds like you spent some time on that list.

I've had plenty of cars myself. None come close to the Passat for tech, comfort, performance and adjustability, in the one package for the price. Best balanced all-rounder of any brand, on the market.

The only thing on your list I agree with is the cooled seats. burnt my arse the other day when I got in it. I love the analog clock, and I don't need an umbrella in the door, I've been wet plenty of times before. If there is something I don't know about the car, forums like this have it all. Like you though, just love it.

Had mine for about 7 - 8 months now, and can't really see myself in anything else.

zzc2010
01-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Vent Seats for sure!

ope126
01-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Hi guys,

So I've been away from VWs for a while and after having my 140TDI Highline for over a week now, I thought I'd share some thoughts as well as ask for some advice. These are random and in no particular order. :)

These will seem trivial and perhaps even whinging. But I think they're all usability issues that can either be resolved for the mass market by some more critical testers in the UAT phase of new model development, or made customisable by each owner.

Why does the ACC recognise a car in the right hand lane and match it's speed instead of going past at the speed I've set and relative to the car in front of me? There's a cute little image that appears in the instrument cluster to let me know and all! I get that it can be handy for merging into traffic and assume that's the idea behind it however on 4 or 5 lane roads where people just sit all over the place going less than the limit, I just want to cruise on by in my lane and not be forced to speed match ANOTHER LANE when there's nothing in front of me. (stupid Victorian drivers! I still can't believe how bad they drive down here since moving here 7 years ago). Already answered.

Why does the instrument cluster nav screen appear automatically when I've set a destination? There's a 12 inch screen showing me the nav information right in the centre console! If I want the nav screen in the instrument cluster, I will set it. I like it and will use it when I want to, but I don't want it forced on me. I guess that is just the way it is.

My 2009 R36 (that's 9 years ago!) had a cool feature where after using the windscreen washers, the wipers would stop for about 5 seconds and then do one single swipe to get the last few drips. I miss that. Cool feature they should have kept. Tear Drop Wipe, could be coded via VCDS?

Skodas have the umbrellas in the doors and VWs do not? I don't get that. (My R36 had one in the driver's door only) Yes, I remember my old B6 had the Umbrella holder too. No real biggie, but I guess that is now what make the Skoda's "Simply Clever"

Skodas get built in retractable sun shades on the rear windows and VWs do not? I've ordered some of these instead: Volkswagen Passat Wagon 2014-2017 B8 Magnetic Window Sun Blind Sun Shade Mesh | eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Volkswagen-Passat-Wagon-2014-2017-B8-Magnetic-Window-Sun-Blind-Sun-Shade-Mesh/222563688913?epid=2147666700&hash=item33d1d461d1:g:T5oAAOSwY~laI3Mu) This is available in UK / EU markets, shame it didn't make its way down under...

The seat moving back when I open the door is awesome. But why doesn't it go back to EXACTLY where I had it. The memory settings don't seem to accept settings that are all the way to the limit of their motion. It's just a little bit, but it's noticeable. Mine does not have memory seats, so I can not comment. However I used to own 2 MD Mondeo Titaniums and they had the same feature. It worked really well! Maybe there is another setting or way to store in the memory programming to assist...

It would be nice to rearrange the main icons in the menu on the centre screen. Have the most used closer to the driver and be customisable for driver preference. Thats a good suggestion...

It would be nice to have an OFF button for the HVAC that's not buried in the touch screen menus. I never turn mine off and it hasn't been on this HVAC panel for sometime now. I think MK5 Golf and B6 Passats had the off button. Easy way is to turn fan speed all the way down, then it turns off I think?

Where is the mute button? Seriously! On the steering wheel there should ALWAYS be a mute button. Fair point, I never really have a use to MUTE music (just the kids), but a couple of taps on the volume and it quietens down..

Vented/cooled seats! Vented/cooled seats! Vented/cooled seats! Even KIAs have them! Agree... The only car I have ever owned with Air Cooled Seats was a 2012 Opel Insignia Select Sports Tourer. They were great!!!

Head-up display. This is something that's actually not a huge disappointment. While I don't think it provides a lot of value add to the driving experience, and I don't miss it thanks to the awesome instrument cluster display, it's a relatively easy tech and in a car that's full of tech, it's an strange omission. And I mean proper head-up display, onto the windscreen, and not the cheap flip-up plastic crap. Agree too. Although not a full HUD, my previous Mondeo had the dots that would reflect onto the windscreen just like the Volvo V60/S60, much better for the distance to the vehicle in front than the pathetic little symbol in the dash cluster of the VW...

The speedo is slow by approx. 4 - 5km/hr across the legal speed range. I get they set them a bit slow, but that's a lot if you ask me. Thankfully they have one of the best cruise controls I've ever used. Being able to actually set the speed you want accurately (so 85km/hr in an 80km/hr zone, etc) and the car actually does that exact speed. Agree, I have a GPS on my Blackvue Dashcam and around 103 - 104kms on speedo is around 99 - 100km on the GPS...

Remote start. Why no remote start? Great for hot/cold days. Set the HVAC to where you're going to want it and be able to start it before getting in. Even the base model Commodores have it! I dont know much about Commodores, suprised to hear they have remote start. A mate of mine just bought a Holden Colorado LTZ and it has remote start, pretty cool, but no deal breaker!

Auto-stop/start engine function defaults to on and must be manually turned off every time. But worse, and something I think is actually a defect/bug, is even if you leave the driving mode in Eco, you must re-select Eco at every restart to actually get the car to drive in Eco. Now I'm sorry, that last one is unacceptable. It's IN ECO MODE when I turn the car off and back on again but won't DRIVE in Eco mode until I manually reselect it. Auto-stop/start should have a driver configurable default position so the driver doesn't have to constantly turn it off if they prefer it off. ECO Mode, what is that!!! SPORT Mode all the way!!!

Oh, that brings me to the drive mode and auto-stop/start buttons. Why don't they swap the sides for the RHD market? They swap the side for the round Start button and the spots are already there for the buttons on the right side of the shifter. I'm not one of those whingers when it comes to cup trays and park brakes, indicator stalks or why I push the shifter away from me for manual mode but the buttons, where they're already changing a button and have spots for RHD buttons. Argh! I guess these cars are made for the EU market...

The location of the cigarette socket in the MY18 is stupid. It should be in the centre console bin. I'll add one in there anyway. I think the location is good, mine is in the front where I think you guys now have the wireless charging???

The phone tray with built in charge pad is too small. It doesn't fit my iPhone 7 with case on or anything bigger at all. It fits without the case but I would think this is annoying for a LOT of people with larger phones. Wifey's iPhone 8 Plus doesn't fit and it has wireless charging function. Can't comment as I do not have this...

The centre analog clock. Why? Why didn't they just continue the horizontal lines of dash? You can see the time in two other places. Well they had this in the B7 (not B6) so no real issues me thinks...

The windscreen tinted top strip is missed - something I've always preferred to have. I think this must only be on certain cars, I never had this on any B6 (x2) or B7 (x3) Passat that I have previously owned. All except the B6's had Drivers Assist...

The Airbag warning on the passenger sun visor. Really? The inside would have been enough - don't need both! Detracts from my sexy black headliner. Personally, I am not a fan of the black headliner. Makes me feel claustrophobic...

I'd forgotten about the bonnet having to be up to lift the wipers up. Annoying. Answered, Service Position, hasnt changed on any VW in some time now...

Features that are in the car but just not programed. E.g. multi-coloured LED interior and instruments lights, smart LED headlights etc... Don't make the higher spec models "better" by not enabling the features in the other models, make them higher spec with extra kit! I think it's hilarious that people are paying thousands of dollars more for a couple of lines of code. (yes I know I'm simplifying it) Agree to disagree...

The AllTrack should get the same headlights and park pilot. The reasons they don't are cop-outs. These two things are the only reason I didn't buy an AllTrack! Agree...

All models with the auto tail gate should have the foot sensor. The R-Line kit deleting it is a cop out. No R-Line kit on mine, but the foot sensor is very hit and miss at best!!!

BUT, I still LOVE THIS CAR! With the Luxury Pack and R-Line pack it really is fantastic.

Hopefully VW keep improving and tweaking these magnificent wagons.

I have added my comments in blue, I hope it helps...

Rocket36
01-02-2018, 09:44 PM
Thanks mate. Good read.

dArK5HaD0w
02-02-2018, 08:44 PM
Skodas have the umbrellas in the doors and VWs do not? I don't get that. (My R36 had one in the driver's door only)

Skodas get built in retractable sun shades on the rear windows and VWs do not?

Vented/cooled seats! Vented/cooled seats! Vented/cooled seats! Even KIAs have them!

All models with the auto tail gate should have the foot sensor. The R-Line kit deleting it is a cop out.

The umbrellas in the door have come in handy for me a couple of times. there's one for the passenger too :)

The retractable shades r so much cleaner looking and handy to have than the stick-on/add-on shades.

The Superb also comes with Vented Cooled and Heated Front Seats, and Vented Heated Rear Seats. Brilliant in Summer and Winter :)

Foot sensor for the auto-tailgate is nice to have, but its more of a gimmick.

Rocket36
02-02-2018, 09:55 PM
Yeah it's strange... The lesser product gets more of the nice to have type gadgets. It doesn't make sense really.

It's like, combine the best of both VW and Skoda and make THAT the VW. Combine the lackings and make THAT the Skoda. It's like they don't know what they want the cars to be. If the Skoda had the interior displays the VWs have it'd have made deciding which to buy really hard.

But the Skoda still has too much rake on the tailgate so it loses for me on that alone.

Wynnston
02-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Yeah it's strange... The lesser product gets more of the nice to have type gadgets. It doesn't make sense really.

It's like, combine the best of both VW and Skoda and make THAT the VW. Combine the lackings and make THAT the Skoda. It's like they don't know what they want the cars to be. If the Skoda had the interior displays the VWs have it'd have made deciding which to buy really hard.

But the Skoda still has too much rake on the tailgate so it loses for me on that alone.

You can argue similarly with the Passat and the B9 A4 Audi. I know they're different platforms, but why does Passat get a 206kw, and a bunch of standard features where the Audi gets 180kw and you have to pay for most features.

Skoda is the better value car by far. I just didn't like the interior styling as much and was set on getting the flashy active info display.

DR074
03-02-2018, 06:04 AM
Agree W

Thought toast was going to pop outta the front of the Skoda. Its no oil painting outside either.

rsp8
03-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Agree W

Thought toast was going to pop outta the front of the Skoda. Its no oil painting outside either.

Looks are always subjective, but I’d bet if they put the active display in the Superb they would lose a hell of a lot of Passat sales! Skoda certainly has a distinctive styling with very hard crease lines etc, but to be honest driving something a little different is probably what appeals to me and many Skoda drivers, they are certainly not bland.

I’ve got a Sportline and couldn’t be happier, but it defaults out of E mode for the gearbox too...

DR074
03-02-2018, 07:34 AM
Agreed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Hillbilly
03-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Actually the speedo reads FAST as in higher than actual speed. It is illegal for it to read slow.

Mine reads 106 when doing 100 by GPS or from the ECU in the secret menu in my NAV

Also if you set your cruise on 100 you will actually only be doing about 95

I set mine for 105 and ECU tells me it is on or about 100 actual. My two Blackvue cameras back that up

My drivers seat moves back and forward to the correct place each time but I set it as instructed in the manual

Dont know about the B8 but I have folding mirrors in my B7 as well

doc_777
03-02-2018, 10:35 AM
The 2.0 Quattro A4 has "only" 180kw. However if you pick yourself up an RS4 Avant with 331kw, you could argue that the 206TSI Passat has "only" 206kw... ;)

It could be argued that VW Group are trying to increase the market share of the Skoda brand in Aus - hence some of what those in the industry call "surprise and delight" features - like umbrellas in doors.

Simply, Aus buyers tend to be rather conservative. The reason that Skoda don't sell as many Superbs in Aus as VW sell Passats is really quite simple - market presence. Joe Public generally associate the VW brand with semi-premium. Skoda is almost like the poor cousin. Pricing reflects that. Same really as the relationship most people associate between Audi and VW.

As for the relative "features" of the two vehicles compared - that is up to personal preference. For example - I don't regard the hands-free tailgate as a "gimmick" - I regard it as a great feature that makes life simple when having both hands loaded with grocery bags for instance. But like another poster, the back-end of the Superb wagon has too much rake - makes it more of a "lifestyle wagon" - more for "poodles, not pallets" as I once heard a different brand described. Being the owner of two large dogs, they would NOT be comfortable in the back of a Superb - just not enough room. Again - preference for ones needs, not a statement on which is "better" because that is arbitrary.

Vented seats - yeah, had them in my previous Y62 Patrol. They were nice, but I regard them as a gimmick. Give me decent aircon and window tinting to PREVENT the car getting hot in the first place. Rear seat heating - no doubt at all, that would be lovely. But I don't sit in the back, so the kid can suffer ;)

Those door umbrellas really are toys though. Very small. My wife and I each carry golf-sized umbrellas in the back of our Passats, under the floor. When needed- they're available sure, but even living in cold wet Tassie winters, that is rare.

There you have several examples of what one buyer prefers over another - nothing to do with which is arbitrarily "better", only what one person's needs make preferable. No matter what the feature mix, there is always a buyer who wants "not what that vehicle has". Manufacturers are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Skoda are currently receiving a sweetheart deal on the MQB platform. They basically are getting the IP for free from VW (who developed it on behalf of the entire group), and BIG discounts on the shared component costs. VW have said that Skoda will no longer be getting that kid of deal, now that they are growing the brand to its current levels - and that will see the cost of shared platform vehicles increase by up to 10k on higher end vehicles in the range (like the Superb). Basically, Skoda are currently not paying full price to the rest of the group for the shared supply of all MQB components - that is chassis and suspension components, electronics suite, drivetrain components... Pretty much everything that is not unique to the Skoda vehicles (so doesn't include things like panel stampings, external lighting, some glass etc).

VW are the parent company - they are positioning each brand EXACTLY where they want them to be ;)

Rocket36
03-02-2018, 05:55 PM
What’s this BS about Skoda getting a deal from VW? Skoda is VW. Just like Audi. Think of it like an airline. Audi is First Class, overpriced for what you get but the premium product. And a lot of people just love saying they fly First Class. VW is Business Class, still too expensive for what the product is but you can justify it because you want some extra comfort and to feel good. Skoda is Premium Economy. Hardly anyone buys it because it’s in no mans land between economy and business but there will always be someone that wants it. But most will settle for Economy because it’s the cheapest and gets to the same place in the end anyway.

Actually saw the new Skoda Superb today. Nice but needs the same screens up front and better styling. Something that says class rather than “my Dad’s European and my Mum’s Asian”. That rake on the tailgate makes that space useless for those of us with large dogs.

rsp8
03-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Skoda is Premium Economy. Hardly anyone buys it because it’s in no mans land between economy and business but there will always be someone that wants it. But most will settle for Economy because it’s the cheapest and gets to the same place in the end anyway.

Actually saw the new Skoda Superb today. Nice but needs the same screens up front and better styling. Something that says class rather than “my Dad’s European and my Mum’s Asian”. That rake on the tailgate makes that space useless for those of us with large dogs.

Hardly anyone buys it because there’s hardly any dealers and it’s a little bit of an eccentric choice, at least in Australia.

If I’m in premium economy I’m happy - someone just brought me all the beer and wine, some real cutlery and noise cancelling headphones whilst the guys up beyond the curtain (let’s call them BMW drivers to avoid a war) are wondering why they only get a packet of Nobby’s Nuts, and the plebs behind them have bigger screens. Larger seats and full meals were probably optional extras.

Cars are a personal and subjective choice, and price wise, certainly at the top end of Skoda, the difference actually isn’t that much - an R line Passat and a Superb Sportline are within a few k drive away of each other. It wasn’t about money when I made my choice, I genuinely preferred the Skoda (hatch) and just wish it had the active dash - but not enough to regret the choice.

Most certainly each to their own, I will certainly pay for mine in depreciation but that’s a few years off yet I hope.

Rocket36
03-02-2018, 10:21 PM
The lack of dash and large centre screen was one of the main reasons I didn't even consider Skoda.

But you're right. Totally a subjective and individual decision.

Micky 32
04-02-2018, 03:18 AM
Regarding the LED strips that change colour don't you have to change the strips? How can you tell if you have the coloured ones? I gather you mean smart LED headlights being DLA?

Rocket36
04-02-2018, 08:30 AM
DLA..?

curly747
04-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Auto-stop/start engine function defaults to on and must be manually turned off every time. But worse, and something I think is actually a defect/bug, is even if you leave the driving mode in Eco, you must re-select Eco at every restart to actually get the car to drive in Eco. Now I'm sorry, that last one is unacceptable. It's IN ECO MODE when I turn the car off and back on again but won't DRIVE in Eco mode until I manually reselect it. Auto-stop/start should have a driver configurable default position so the driver doesn't have to constantly turn it off if they prefer it off.

My B8 alltrack definately remembers if i have it in ECO mode next time i start the car. I am not sure it gets it right every time but it has done it every time this week. Maybe you should ask the dealer about that one beacuse i think it should remember for you. Perhaps its a setting or something to do with driver profiles?

Oh, that brings me to the drive mode and auto-stop/start buttons. Why don't they swap the sides for the RHD market? They swap the side for the round Start button and the spots are already there for the buttons on the right side of the shifter. I'm not one of those whingers when it comes to cup trays and park brakes, indicator stalks or why I push the shifter away from me for manual mode but the buttons, where they're already changing a button and have spots for RHD buttons. Argh

Completely agree. Argh. Its particularly bad because the gear lever obscures the buttons in my driving position. Hate that they did not bother to switch over those buttons.

doc_777
04-02-2018, 01:37 PM
What’s this BS about Skoda getting a deal from VW? Skoda is VW. Just like Audi. <shop>

No. Skoda is a company that is wholely owned by VW. Skoda buys components from suppliers to build their vehicles-most of those components from suppliers who are also used by other VW group companies. Skoda currently receives prefential pricing on some of those components.

just because one company owns another does not mean they are the same company.

Audi owns Lamborghini. VW owns Audi. Does that mean VW owns Lamborghini? No. Audi does. And each of those companies must thrive or fail on its own merits, within the range of assistance that the parent company is prepared to provide.

As it turns out, VW has stated that they believe they have provided enough assistance to Skoda, and they now have enough market acceptance to survive without the same level of assistance they have received in the past. And if they don’t, they get either shut down or sold. After all, that is how Skoda came to become a VW Group company....being purchased as a failing enterprise and reinvigorated with HUGE amounts of investment.

Rocket36
05-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Hahahahahaha... If VW own a company, then that owned company is VW's. No question. Yes Lamborghini is therefore an expensive, high performance, re-badged VW. It's simply in their interests to maintain the brands. Companies around the world do it ALL THE TIME.

And it's quite common in the car industry to refer to cars in such a way. I.e. the new Toyota Supra is just a BMW Z4 with a new body and interior.

If you dress as a woman but you're a man, you're still a man. Anyhow, we digress.

DR074
05-02-2018, 03:41 PM
No, i'm pretty sure in the car world, he'd be a she.

kaiserky
05-02-2018, 10:21 PM
My B8 alltrack definately remembers if i have it in ECO mode next time i start the car. I am not sure it gets it right every time but it has done it every time this week. Maybe you should ask the dealer about that one beacuse i think it should remember for you. Perhaps its a setting or something to do with driver profiles?

It will remember it is in ECO mode but it won’t use the coasting function unless you reselect ECO mode.

Ky

curly747
06-02-2018, 07:25 AM
It will remember it is in ECO mode but it won’t use the coasting function unless you reselect ECO mode.

Ky
Mine will use the coasting function after a restart without reselecting ECO mode. I wonder what's different with others. I have an MY16 Passat All Track with 6 speed gear box.

Rocket36
06-02-2018, 08:45 AM

Ky

Correct. And won't display "E" next to the gears either.

Don't get confused with coasting and coasting without gearbox braking. The latter is what Eco does.

curly747
06-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Correct. And won't display "E" next to the gears either.

Don't get confused with coasting and coasting without gearbox braking. The latter is what Eco does.

When i restart the car it displays the E next to the gear numbers on the display. It holds gears longer than normal. It coasts .. as in it displays the E with no gear number if my foot if off the accelerator. There is no engine braking if its coasting. Its 100% in ECO mode and i have not had to reselect it. I wonder why the difference in behaviour between cars.

Rocket36
06-02-2018, 10:48 PM
When i restart the car it displays the E next to the gear numbers on the display. It holds gears longer than normal. It coasts .. as in it displays the E with no gear number if my foot if off the accelerator. There is no engine braking if its coasting. Its 100% in ECO mode and i have not had to reselect it. I wonder why the difference in behaviour between cars.

Indeed. I wonder too. MY16 to MY18 why would they change that? Why would they make it so a mode I've manually selected needs to be re-selected every time I start the car?