PDA

View Full Version : Sat NAV took us off the highway ending up on a 4WD trail road

TIG162R
31-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Hey all,
Over the Australia day weekend was heading from Forster to Nelson Bay & used the Nav to get us there. For some reason it guided us off the highway and onto & secondary rd road through a small town and eventually onto gravel roads which then led to full on trail 4WD tracks. Once we got on the trail there was no turning back as it was not possible to turn around & as a consequence got a puncture while crossing over a rocky crossing. Contacted VW to report as a potential fault & tried to hit them up to replace the tyre but they're not interested and claiming its driver responsibility and not a manufacturer fault...

Anyone else have any weird experience with the NAV?

GJM
31-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Hey all,
Over the Australia day weekend was heading from Forster to Nelson Bay & used the Nav to get us there. For some reason it guided us off the highway and onto & secondary rd road through a small town and eventually onto gravel roads which then led to full on trail 4WD tracks. Once we got on the trail there was no turning back as it was not possible to turn around & as a consequence got a puncture while crossing over a rocky crossing. Contacted VW to report as a potential fault & tried to hit them up to replace the tyre but they're not interested and claiming its driver responsibility and not a manufacturer fault...

I have a MY17 R Line Diesel
Twice it has detoured me off main roads onto pretty ordinary back roads then finally back onto correct roads. I have never had any other GPS do this. I followed the errant GPS just for the experience as I had Google maps as well.

ian
31-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Mine often tell me to turn around and go back .Even though i know im heading in the right direction
After a few Turn around warnings it recalulates the route and pionts me in the right direction ?

adrianb
01-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Very weird for a SatNav to take you onto unnamed roads! I'd be asking VW about that for sure as that's totally a safety issue - someone could get stranded somewhere!

I think the tyre is on you though. The tyres delivered are absolutely road tyres and not suitable for off-road use beyond a gravel road and you probably should have turned back before you ended up on 4WD trails.

TIG162R
01-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Very weird for a SatNav to take you onto unnamed roads! I'd be asking VW about that for sure as that's totally a safety issue - someone could get stranded somewhere!

Yes I raised the safety issue with them & said imagine if I was in a Golf or Passat?? They said they would look into it - but it sounded more like saying it for teh sake of saying it then genuinely being concerned...

you probably should have turned back before you ended up on 4WD trails.

Difficult to turn back when you dont know that coming up ahead is a 4WD trail, plus we were that far in & committed, it wasn't possible to turn around due to the narrow path...

Hillbilly
01-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Most GPS's have the option to disable going on certain roads and you can selelct shortest or quickest way

Sounds like a setup problem to me
But then is a VW POS isnt it

Kachingg
01-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Yeah i always use google maps the vw standard issue one is crapola

mickofoz
01-02-2018, 10:41 PM
Just make sure you don't drive into the ocean because that's where your SatNav wanted you to go and then hit VW for a dry clean bill. haha

cinder
09-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Hey all,

This happened to us using a Tom Tom back in the day, we were driving a Holden Commodore - this is where it took us:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/P1010800-1.jpg

We were going passed people on horse back giving us alarmed looks!

Same experience, it was too late to turn back and we had to venture ahead. We were very lucky!

Jap
10-02-2018, 05:29 AM
Can’t you get tarmac in auz?

also, you bought a off-roader, if you wanted to drive on tarmac you should’ve got a normal car, can’t see what the problem is!!!

:troll:

cinder
10-02-2018, 09:32 AM

also, you bought a off-roader, if you wanted to drive on tarmac you should’ve got a normal car, can’t see what the problem is!!!

What the hell are you talking about??

:crazy:

Hillbilly
10-02-2018, 09:49 AM

What are you on about Thats the main highway between Sydney and Melbourne. I know its icey in the UK but I think you must be on a different version

OZROD
10-02-2018, 10:23 AM
On the positive side of things I used Apple Carplay to set a destination of Somersby Falls picnic area and in the middle of nowhere it said I had arrived. Changed over to the Satnav on the Tiguan and it took me straight there. Carplay had missed by 17km...

Jap
10-02-2018, 11:13 PM
What the hell are you talking about??

:crazy: chill out, it was a attempt at humour

Hillbilly
11-02-2018, 07:16 AM
chill out, it was a attempt at humour Very poor one at that

Rocket36
13-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Well... You did buy an SUV. What did you expect? LOL!

Seriously though, I don't actually understand why people blindly follow the directions of a sat nav device of any kind. I usually always know where I'm going from just a quick look at Google Maps to start with and then the Sat Nav is just a backup and shows ETA etc. If it wants to take a wrong turn, I just skip it and it re-adjusts to where I prefer to go anyway. :)