PDA

View Full Version : New 140tdi incoming..

Gbranca1
24-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Hi guys, been reading through the forums for the past week and I've noticed most of the info I'm getting is on the 206r, as I'm picking up a my16 140tdi in a week or so I though I'd try get some opinions on people's experience with the diesel.
Loving the input on these forums keep up the good work guys.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/ad8b0d03f7d9e67e7e7a821d68ab7ed4-1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passerati
24-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Best car mate. You’ll get super economy with the 140TDi.
I use my car to get to and from work as well as lots of driving for work, and get between 960 and 1010km per tank.
Thats mixed driving too.

The interior is on par with Audi, and if you get a Highline R-line with lots of extras, bells and whistles you’ll be laughing all the way to the bank. You can’t get past the aggressive look either.
You will not regret it.

ope126
24-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Enjoy mate, you will love it!!!

Gbranca1
25-01-2018, 04:53 AM
Glad to hear it, the one I'm purchasing is a my16 highline with driver assist, luxury and rline packages (plus pana roof ) :) upgrading from a my12 vw Passat cc petrol I was initially concerned of the power loss but that quickly went away after taking it on a test spin. Not as quick as the cc and first gear seams to be a tad sluggish but after that it just goes, so surprised by the responsiveness in second gear... :) and also how economical it is... currently the 98ron petrol for my cc sits at $1.79L and I'm barely getting over 600kms a tank. So the diesel I think is gonna be a nice change of pace.

doc_777
25-01-2018, 06:34 AM
We've got 2 - a 132TSI (hers) and a 140TDI (mine).

I reckon the petrol engines are "peppier", and IMO the TDI does suffer from a little low-end lack of boost. I've owned several turbo diesel 4wds in the past so understand what is going on and just "drive around" the symptom.

IMO its just a matter of driving to the strengths of the vehicle and working around the comparative weaknesses.

My wifes Passat is her commuter, mine is the weekend and touring vehicle (I commute on a motorbike unless I am feeling particularly soft)... She gets around 2 weeks commuting (~450km) to 1/2 a tank. Mine is about to crack a year old and 13k km - I'm now getting a solid thousand kays easy on a tank, and when used around town, that drops to 800+ km. And can't fault the price of diesel at the moment ;)

Biggest thing you will probably have to get used to with a TDI - don't use full throttle. When you really want to go somewhere, use 3/4 throttle. Let the box change up early and use the prodigious midrange torque to do all the work. These things aren't fast cars - they gather pace in a "Gentlemanly" way - but they are surprisingly swift as a point to point vehicle.

Gbranca1
25-01-2018, 07:27 AM
We've got 2 - a 132TSI (hers) and a 140TDI (mine).

I reckon the petrol engines are "peppier", and IMO the TDI does suffer from a little low-end lack of boost. I've owned several turbo diesel 4wds in the past so understand what is going on and just "drive around" the symptom.

IMO its just a matter of driving to the strengths of the vehicle and working around the comparative weaknesses.

My wifes Passat is her commuter, mine is the weekend and touring vehicle (I commute on a motorbike unless I am feeling particularly soft)... She gets around 2 weeks commuting (~450km) to 1/2 a tank. Mine is about to crack a year old and 13k km - I'm now getting a solid thousand kays easy on a tank, and when used around town, that drops to 800+ km. And can't fault the price of diesel at the moment ;)

Biggest thing you will probably have to get used to with a TDI - don't use full throttle. When you really want to go somewhere, use 3/4 throttle. Let the box change up early and use the prodigious midrange torque to do all the work. These things aren't fast cars - they gather pace in a "Gentlemanly" way - but they are surprisingly swift as a point to point vehicle.

Thanks for that, I think u put it perfectly when you said "gentlemanly" way haha, has anyone had any luck remapping these cars for a bit more pull in first??? Mainly for future reference (once the warranty expires) was contemplating doing a ecu remap, I know a few of the guys with 206r have done that with great success so I guess I'm wondering if you might get a similar outcome with the tdi's

doc_777
25-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Sorry, I can't advise on remapping.

Diesels are funny beasts - keep pushing fuel at it, and it will keep making more power. Until it goes bang. The issue you have with TDI's is exhaust gas temps. Get them too high (by pushing too much fuel down its throat) and you will start having issues with the turbo.

That lag off the line is lack of boost - these are a fairly low compression engine (for a diesel), and without boost all engines of this style are basically gutless. Not sure how you would go about changing the boost characteristics - to get it to start huffing earlier - the gas velocity just isn't there at low (off-idle) revs.

Diesel engines make their power in a very different way to a petrol engine. In it's simplest (over-simplified, but near enough for our purposes in this discussion) - keep throwing fuel at a petrol engine, and the mixture will reach a point where it can no longer burn efficiently and power will taper off. Diesel - pretty much, keep increasing the mixture and it will develop more power until catastrophic failure occurs - as long as it can suck enough air.

I don't know (have never really heard of) a way to make REAL changes to the low-end boost characteristics of a small capacity turbo diesel without hardware changes. People talk about dump pipes etc, but these don't really make a difference off-idle.

Gbranca1
25-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Sorry, I can't advise on remapping.

Diesels are funny beasts - keep pushing fuel at it, and it will keep making more power. Until it goes bang. The issue you have with TDI's is exhaust gas temps. Get them too high (by pushing too much fuel down its throat) and you will start having issues with the turbo.

That lag off the line is lack of boost - these are a fairly low compression engine (for a diesel), and without boost all engines of this style are basically gutless. Not sure how you would go about changing the boost characteristics - to get it to start huffing earlier - the gas velocity just isn't there at low (off-idle) revs.

Diesel engines make their power in a very different way to a petrol engine. In it's simplest (over-simplified, but near enough for our purposes in this discussion) - keep throwing fuel at a petrol engine, and the mixture will reach a point where it can no longer burn efficiently and power will taper off. Diesel - pretty much, keep increasing the mixture and it will develop more power until catastrophic failure occurs - as long as it can suck enough air.

I don't know (have never really heard of) a way to make REAL changes to the low-end boost characteristics of a small capacity turbo diesel without hardware changes. People talk about dump pipes etc, but these don't really make a difference off-idle.

Oh wow, sounds like it's more hassle than it's worth. I think honestly it's more that I'm use to my acceleration in my cc and I think after a while I'll be use to the tdi, that being said I drove it in sports mode and was really impressed with the way it went. They really don't give the tdi as much credit as it deserves. Not the mention the entire package of the car. Sooooo much kit. Couldn't be happier (maybe when I pick it up haha) ...

doc_777
25-01-2018, 09:08 AM
You can get "tuning boxes" and such for them, but honestly - they just fatten out the midrange, which is already far from tardy.

Gbranca1
25-01-2018, 09:48 AM
You can get "tuning boxes" and such for them, but honestly - they just fatten out the midrange, which is already far from tardy.

Yeh I saw a few of the guys in the 206r thread talking about those tunning boxes but I think I'll just let it be for now, unless I see one already in action lol. So far the only thing I wanna do is get those bumper plugs to take off the original number plate holder, and maybe some vcds tweaks, I'm not really keen on the start/stop function so that will be first to go. Jumping on the threads and there are so many tweaks people are doing, can't decide on which ones to do lol. These cars are so jam packed that it's dizzying some times haha

Rocket36
25-01-2018, 03:45 PM
Switch to SPORT mode and it makes the turbo lag a bit better. But that's the one small thing to deal with with an otherwise AWESOME car.

Picked up our 2017 MY18 with 26km on the clock last Friday and absolutely love it. almost 1000km later and I can't fault it (except for changing driving style to get around turbo lag) and still haven't had to fill it up. The one niggle I have is the seat doesn't go back to EXACTLY where I set it when I start the engine. I have the back of the base all the way down and the front of the base all the way up but it's like the memory settings don't know the extreme ends of the movement. Very small niggly thing. I haven't set a memory seat button to try it that way yet. This is purely on key/profile memory. But having the convenience of the seat moving back to get in and out of the car makes it easier.

Being the Highline with Luxury and R-Line packs it's fully loaded so I'm loving it. So is the wife. It's a fantastic tourer. And also good in stop start traffic, especially with the ACC doing all the driving for you. Most relaxing car I've owned and I have owned a LOT!

Just make sure, as with all diesels, you're putting a long trip in there at LEAST once a month.

Passerati
25-01-2018, 10:51 PM
I have to agree - SPORT mode and ESC Sport mode together actually make mine feeling very responsive.

Surprisingly I take off heaps faster than V8 commodore’s at red lights 😂

Gbranca1
26-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Switch to SPORT mode and it makes the turbo lag a bit better. But that's the one small thing to deal with with an otherwise AWESOME car.

Picked up our 2017 MY18 with 26km on the clock last Friday and absolutely love it. almost 1000km later and I can't fault it (except for changing driving style to get around turbo lag) and still haven't had to fill it up. The one niggle I have is the seat doesn't go back to EXACTLY where I set it when I start the engine. I have the back of the base all the way down and the front of the base all the way up but it's like the memory settings don't know the extreme ends of the movement. Very small niggly thing. I haven't set a memory seat button to try it that way yet. This is purely on key/profile memory. But having the convenience of the seat moving back to get in and out of the car makes it easier.

Being the Highline with Luxury and R-Line packs it's fully loaded so I'm loving it. So is the wife. It's a fantastic tourer. And also good in stop start traffic, especially with the ACC doing all the driving for you. Most relaxing car I've owned and I have owned a LOT!

Just make sure, as with all diesels, you're putting a long trip in there at LEAST once a month.

Yeh I read about the Dpf system in the tdi, is the regen kilometres based or just when it gets built up??

zzc2010
26-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Yeh I read about the Dpf system in the tdi, is the regen kilometres based or just when it gets built up??

Build up. Even when you are not driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gbranca1
26-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Build up. Even when you are not driving.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOh wow I wasn't aware of that. Seeing how it's gonna be mainly a weekend car that's good to know... has any one had any dramas with the dpf??

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

zzc2010
26-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Oh wow I wasn't aware of that. Seeing how it's gonna be mainly a weekend car that's good to know... has any one had any dramas with the dpf??

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

If you don’t drive a long enough distance, the car will ask you to drive until it regens . That’s it.

Gbranca1
26-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Oh fair enough that's not horrible compared to some other dpf systems.

zzc2010
26-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Oh fair enough that's not horrible compared to some other dpf systems.

Well, if you don’t cruise long or towing, why TDI? Horrible engine sounds.

Gbranca1
26-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Well for me it's more economical based decision but also for the long weekend cruise. Ultimately I wasn't really phased by the noise in the tdi, obviously the 206r sounds nicer and the tdi can be quite loud on idle but once your driving I could
Not really hear it that much...

zzc2010
26-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Well for me it's more economical based decision but also for the long weekend cruise. Ultimately I wasn't really phased by the noise in the tdi, obviously the 206r sounds nicer and the tdi can be quite loud on idle but once your driving I could
Not really hear it that much...

Fair enough. Passat B8 is such a nice car anyway.

Gbranca1
26-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Fair enough. Passat B8 is such a nice car anyway.

Couldn't agree more looking forward to picking mine up. Hopefully next week or so 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Rocket36
26-01-2018, 05:57 PM
I haven’t heard the engine yet. Not from the cabin anyway.

Gbranca1
26-01-2018, 06:46 PM
I haven’t heard the engine yet. Not from the cabin anyway.

Yeh I agree. when I took mine for a test spin last week couldn't tell at all. Good sound proofing. I did notice the noise with the windows down and the engine idling but aside from that quite impressed.. quick question, as I'm buying mine second hand will the warranty transfer over to my name? There is still a full 12 months warranty left on it so for piece of mind that's would be great

zzc2010
26-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Yeh I agree. when I took mine for a test spin last week couldn't tell at all. Good sound proofing. I did notice the noise with the windows down and the engine idling but aside from that quite impressed.. quick question, as I'm buying mine second hand will the warranty transfer over to my name? There is still a full 12 months warranty left on it so for piece of mind that's would be great

Think so. If there is nothing to void warranty.

Gbranca1
27-01-2018, 04:43 AM
Think so. If there is nothing to void warranty.

That's good to hear... would I have to contact Volkswagen to swap it over or do they just go by the cars rego or vin ?

Rocket36
27-01-2018, 08:28 AM
The warranty is attached to the car, not the owner or registration. Just fill in and send off the change of ownership details.

Gbranca1
27-01-2018, 08:38 AM
The warranty is attached to the car, not the owner or registration. Just fill in and send off the change of ownership details.

Ahh I see, awesome thanks for that