PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Noise When Park Brake Is Applied

Adelbaran
10-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Hi guys,

I have got a B8 Passat Sedan and I recently been getting this weird squeaky noise when getting in and out of the car. The noise comes from the rear of the car and if I open my boot and repeatedly push the rear of the car down with my hand (like a pumping action), the squeak will become very apparent and noticeable. However, this only happens if my electric park brake is applied. If I release it, then there is no noise at all.

So common sense tells me the squeak must be coming from the rear brakes or something wrong with my park brake. Then I took it in to a VW service and replicated the issue to them. They took it into the workshop and 1/2 hour later they brought it back out said there was nothing wrong and they couldn't do nothing except just making sure all bolts and nuts are correctly tighten. I tested again on the spot with park brake applied and the squeak noise was gone! However, 8 hours later after I finished work and jumping back into the car to go home, the noise came back again.... WTF!?

Before this happened, I had a 4 wheel alignment done on the car where they undo some bolts on the rear suspension to make necessary adjustments. Would it have anything to do with that? But then again, I never had this issue before I done the alignment though.....

Anyone had same of similar problem with their Passat?

ope126
10-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Just your electric park brake, nothing to worry about...

Adelbaran
11-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Just your electric park brake, nothing to worry about...

I know there is nothing to worry about, but it is just annoying hearing it squeek every time I get in and out of the car. And if it was the characteristic of this car from the beginning then I would have accepted as the norm..... I guess German cars aren't as good as people made it out to be...

Wynnston
13-01-2018, 08:45 AM
I know there is nothing to worry about, but it is just annoying hearing it squeek every time I get in and out of the car. And if it was the characteristic of this car from the beginning then I would have accepted as the norm..... I guess German cars aren't as good as people made it out to be...

Get them to lube it next service. It will be the little electric mechanism, though it could also be a spring. I had a similar issue. I also had my rear brakes moan like a Dove on heat when I reversed slowly, both have cleared up now.

Adelbaran
13-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Get them to lube it next service. It will be the little electric mechanism, though it could also be a spring. I had a similar issue. I also had my rear brakes moan like a Dove on heat when I reversed slowly, both have cleared up now.

Hi Wynnston,

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you ever done a 4 wheel alignment on your car? Do you think it could be the cause of the squeak as this didn't happen before I had a rear wheel alignment adjusted....

Wynnston
19-01-2018, 10:13 PM
Hi Wynnston,

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you ever done a 4 wheel alignment on your car? Do you think it could be the cause of the squeak as this didn't happen before I had a rear wheel alignment adjusted....

I've had an alignment done. I had always had my noise issue. You should check this recall to make sure you're not affected. Volkswagen Group Australia — Passat, Golf and Arteon | Product Safety Australia (https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/volkswagen-group-australia-passat-golf-and-arteon)

It may well be a bad wheel bearing.

Rocket36
23-01-2018, 08:58 AM
If it’s only happened since the alignment, the do the maths. Remember, suspension will move differently when park brake applied compared to not applied.

If something was different after a wheel alignment on my car, I know where I’d be heading straight back to.

rave75
29-01-2018, 04:14 PM
Mine always squeaky from day 1. The main problem I have with Passat is the sunroof noise (went 6 times to the dealer already).