PDA

View Full Version : Aircon not cool

Blackpaladin67
07-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Hi anyone got the lowdown on changing the aircon to a tropical climate setting . Its just acceptable in comparision to my last drive a ford mondeo MB titanium which was litteraly a fridge in operation?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ope126
07-01-2018, 01:00 PM
What temp do you have it on?
Do you have it set to "AUTO"?

I personally have it set on 21 degrees (Passat) / 22 degrees (Jetta) and is fine.

Mind you, I have driven (owned) many Japanese cars and they have icy cold A/C and generally a temp of even 24 degrees is too cold...

Interesting you are coming from an MB Titanium.

I have personally owned 3 MC Titanium's (TDCi and EcoBoost) as well 2 MD Titanium's (TDCi and EcoBoost) and I would say all were similar to the Passat and Jetta (and all the other VW's I have owned).

What I would suggest if you are unhappy is to go to the dealer and get them to check the Refrigerant Levels and ensure all is ok from a "Hardware" perspective before you mess around with the "Software"...

Blackpaladin67
07-01-2018, 02:45 PM
What temp do you have it on?
Do you have it set to "AUTO"?

I personally have it set on 21 degrees (Passat) / 22 degrees (Jetta) and is fine.

Mind you, I have driven (owned) many Japanese cars and they have icy cold A/C and generally a temp of even 24 degrees is too cold...

Interesting you are coming from an MB Titanium.

I have personally owned 3 MC Titanium's (TDCi and EcoBoost) as well 2 MD Titanium's (TDCi and EcoBoost) and I would say all were similar to the Passat and Jetta (and all the other VW's I have owned).

What I would suggest if you are unhappy is to go to the dealer and get them to check the Refrigerant Levels and ensure all is ok from a "Hardware" perspective before you mess around with the "Software"...My bad MD company car..lol

Blackpaladin67
07-01-2018, 02:47 PM
My bad MD company car..lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using TapatalkAuto 19.5 . Its all good if parked undercover but if out in the sun on 30c you have to put on max for like 10 minutes to make it comfy.

Blackpaladin67
07-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Auto 19.5 . Its all good if parked undercover but if out in the sun on 30c you have to put on max for like 10 minutes to make it comfy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TapatalkI would rate the Arty as 2 gens ahead of the Ford on all counts with exception too a few things which bar one have been fixed with obd2.
Auto high beam mem and the like. Only o/s issue is the dub not reading out my sms messages & me being able to respond with a canned option.

Foxpuppet
07-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Auto 19.5 . Its all good if parked undercover but if out in the sun on 30c you have to put on max for like 10 minutes to make it comfy.

Windows down to push hot air out first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackpaladin67
07-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Windows down to push hot air out first?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAnd sunroof.

Foxpuppet
08-01-2018, 08:44 AM
And sunroof.

Yep if you have one ☝️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wynnston
13-01-2018, 08:36 AM
I would rate the Arty as 2 gens ahead of the Ford on all counts with exception too a few things which bar one have been fixed with obd2.
Auto high beam mem and the like. Only o/s issue is the dub not reading out my sms messages & me being able to respond with a canned option.

I think if you're using an Android phone, the MIB system will read your text messages. It's just hidden in the phone menu and you have to go into the message and hit the txt2speach button.

Blackpaladin67
13-01-2018, 11:13 AM
I think if you're using an Android phone, the MIB system will read your text messages. It's just hidden in the phone menu and you have to go into the message and hit the txt2speach button.Will try that

Rooboy
14-01-2018, 07:38 AM
the voice command - "read text" will read the new sms messages received.

neil
14-01-2018, 09:23 AM
The Passat is not like the Jetta is it where the top dash has a separate vent that needs shutting off for the other vents to blow more.
If you keep the top vent open it just pushes more cold air onto windscreen and doest seem to cool the cabin down at all until you close it.

DV52
14-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Hi anyone got the lowdown on changing the aircon to a tropical climate setting . Its just acceptable in comparision to my last drive a ford mondeo MB titanium which was litteraly a fridge in operation?

Blackpalardin67: Not sure about the B8 but it's cousin vehicle the Golf mk7 (both cars are built on a MQB platform) has a "wobble-plate" compressor that is designed to operate at 2 x set points: the "normal" setting allows for a basic capacity level cooling and "hot country" setting increases the capacity of the Air Con by lengthening the stroke of the compressor.

If the B8 has the same system, it might be worth checking the setting on your car. All that's needed is a diagnostic cable like VCDS, or OBDeleven - like this:

See Edit below
For VCDS cable owners
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/u2Z7klvpng-1.jpg

For OBD11 dongle owners
[http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/LcGR2dXpng-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/m7l9FoRpng-1.jpg

Don

Blackpaladin67
14-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Blackpalardin67: Not sure about the B8 but it's cousin vehicle the Golf mk7 (both cars are built on a MQB platform) has a "wobble-plate" compressor that is designed to operate at 2 x set points: the "normal" setting allows for a basic capacity level cooling and "hot country" setting increases the capacity of the Air Con by lengthening the stroke of the compressor.

If the B8 has the same system, it might be worth checking the setting on your car. All that's needed is a diagnostic cable like VCDS, or OBDeleven - like this:

See Edit below
For VCDS cable owners
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/u2Z7klvpng-1.jpg

For OBD11 dongle owners
[http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/LcGR2dXpng-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/m7l9FoRpng-1.jpg

DonSuperb Don very much appreciated as it was like 39c here today.

neil
16-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Took out my air con filter from front passenger foot well yesterday, washed and dried made a significant difference in cooler/quicker bringing temp down , didn't think it was that dirty but has made a difference.

Rocket36
17-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Good quality window tint will also make AC work a lot better.

Rocket36
18-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Where can one obtain a VCDS or OBDeleven?

Rooboy
18-01-2018, 12:49 PM
OBDeleven is available through this site. There are some other sites that sell it too.

OBDeleven PRO Diagnostic System – Audi, Skoda & Volkswagen – AutoInstruct (https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/product/obdeleven-audi-volkswagen-skoda-diagnostic-system/)