PDA

View Full Version : Dashcam for B8

doc_777
31-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Hi all, I’m keen to pick your brains for a nice discreet dashcam for a B8. I want to install one in each on my two cars (both B8’s). Forward facing only, and something that sits nice and snug up the top of the screen near the centre pod of sensors etc. anyone got any suggestions? Pics of your install are welcome :)

thanks in advance.

Hillbilly
31-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Hi all, I’m keen to pick your brains for a nice discreet dashcam for a B8. I want to install one in each on my two cars (both B8’s). Forward facing only, and something that sits nice and snug up the top of the screen near the centre pod of sensors etc. anyone got any suggestions? Pics of your install are welcome :)

thanks in advance.
How about this then Is a latest model Blackvue DR750S which is 60fps Full HD with GPS, Wifi and cloud capabilities. Has a new sensor which is much better than prev models.

BlackVue DR750S-1CH Dash Cam | DASH CAMS AUSTRALIA (https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/shop/dashcams/blackvue/blackvue-dr750s-1ch/)

Is $409 but Autobarn may have a special on in their sales I got one last week for $303 with a Power Magic thrown in as was a promotional price.

Have also bought cameras off the dealer linked above

If you dont want to pay quite that much a DR650 is a good buy and about 85% as good as the 750

As you can see I have used 3M dual Lock tape to mount it and am changing that to black stuff next week. I only used the white as it has a higher temp rating and now they have black at the same rating.
Reason I use that is so if i go on holiday I can take the camera and use it in a rental car easily

el1x
31-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Blackvue DR750S
I haven’t installed one yet but it at the top of my shopping list and I’ll be picking up the 2ch version.

Hillbilly
31-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Blackvue DR750S
I haven’t installed one yet but it at the top of my shopping list and I’ll be picking up the 2ch version.

Yes far bettter than the older models. The AUS distributor is in Perth as well . Dont believe the spiel about ONLY using Blackvue cards. They dont make them just buy them in and rename them I have used Samsung EVO and Sandisk extremes without trouble for years in several different models. Just dont buy cheap fakes off Ebay or Amazon 3rd party sellers and definitely not off Gumtree.

Look here for comments on them BlackVue | DashCamTalk (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/blackvue.6/)
Just done my 8th install now, all hardwired into fuses.

ope126
31-12-2017, 03:03 PM
doc_777, my install is similar to Hillbilly but more discreet.

Unlike the pictures above from Hillbilly's B6 Passat, the B8 has the additional black dots to the left and right of the center mounted camera.

I have installed mine on the passenger side, where Hillbilly has his GoVia (Toll / Tag).

This position works well, as the mounting to the windscreen is covered up / obscured by the dots and you only see the small camera lens in the open. I personally hate seeing wires / cables and cameras mounted in the drivers view.

My wire is not visible at all.

I use the Power Magic Box along with the DR650S-1CH.
This is wired in the passenger side, up the A Pillar and along the top of the windscreen.
No cables / wires are visible at all...

My preferred install...

Hillbilly
31-12-2017, 03:29 PM
el1x, my install is similar to Hillbilly but more discreet.

Unlike the pictures above from Hillbilly's B6 Passat, the B8 has the additional black dots to the left and right of the center mounted camera.

I have installed mine on the passenger side, where Hillbilly has his GoVia (Toll / Tag).

This position works well, as the mounting to the windscreen is covered up / obscured by the dots and you only see the small camera lens in the open. I personally hate seeing wires / cables and cameras mounted in the drivers view.

My wire is not visible at all.

I use the Power Magic Box along with the DR650S-1CH.
This is wired in the passenger side, up the A Pillar and along the top of the windscreen.
No cables / wires are visible at all...

My preferred install...

How do u get the card out if the end of the camera is close to the console in the centre of the screen.

I prefer to have the lens centred on the screen as I am anal about things being off level or off centre and all i can see is about 50mm of cable anyway, which i could have taken further down and across out of sight. The camera is completely hidden by the mirror The black square is for my HUD display Im happy if you are

The other bit of tape was used for another camera I was testing last week. My PM was in the r/h end of the dash wired into spare fuse slots with these

doc_777
01-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Thanks all who have responded. Looks like Blackvue is the brand then.

The_Hawk
02-01-2018, 08:30 AM
I've seen the Blackvue recommended and used lots of the years and I'm sure it's a good product, but then you are paying for it.

I've read this site over the years and bought some of their recommended cameras. I've had the G1W in our van for years until recently it stopped wanting to keep the date/time set (even though I had installed a new battery). A little while ago I purchased an VIOFO A119 for the Cabriolet and just grabbed a second one to replace the G1W in the Van too. I find them to be excellent units, especially for the price. They do everything except WiFi which means you have to pull the memory card out to take anything off, but a Dashcam should be set and forget unless you have an incident.

DashCamTalk (https://dashcamtalk.com/)

I've bought them all from the same (recommended by dashcamtalk) seller who has always been excellent. Note they list the same product multiple times in multiple configurations so it's sometimes a little confusing. Best guess is that they list in different currencies/locations/warehouses or something to appeal to different buyers.

In any case, if you check out the store you can get combinations of camera + GPS/Hardwire Kit/Micro SD Card/CPL Filter (although seemingly not altogether for some reason). They do also sell the various components separately should you want to grab them all at once.

Here is one of them:
A119 Capacitor Novatek 96660 HD 2K Car Video Dash Camera + GPS + Hard Wire | eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A119-Capacitor-Novatek-96660-HD-2K-Car-Video-Dash-Camera-GPS-Hard-Wire-/131903283463?hash=item1eb60c6107)

Hillbilly
02-01-2018, 10:06 AM
I've seen the Blackvue recommended and used lots of the years and I'm sure it's a good product, but then you are paying for it.

Here is one of them:
A119 Capacitor Novatek 96660 HD 2K Car Video Dash Camera + GPS + Hard Wire | eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A119-Capacitor-Novatek-96660-HD-2K-Car-Video-Dash-Camera-GPS-Hard-Wire-/131903283463?hash=item1eb60c6107)

The sad thing about the reviews are that they are really lagging behind the times A couple of years ago they were right up with whats new but atm are about 8 months behind. I have seen other good things said about yours but so far have had no reason to change.

doc_777
02-01-2018, 10:14 AM
I actually ended up buying a couple of (relatively) cheapies from Dash Cams Australia.

Will see how they perform - haven't dropped too much money into the cams so will give them a little time and see how they go.

Mini 0801S GPS Dash Cam | DASH CAMS AUSTRALIA (https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/shop/dashcams/dashcams-australia/mini-0801-gps/)

The_Hawk
02-01-2018, 10:20 AM
but so far have had no reason to change.

That's very reasonable, I was contemplating replacing the old G1W to get GPS, but couldn't justify the cost of the upgrade since the old one did pretty much everything I wanted. Even when I had to buy a replacement mount and battery (which were a combined total of about $3) I kept the old one humming along until it finally stopped working.

Hillbilly
02-01-2018, 10:32 AM
I actually ended up buying a couple of (relatively) cheapies from Dash Cams Australia.

Will see how they perform - haven't dropped too much money into the cams so will give them a little time and see how they go.

Mini 0801S GPS Dash Cam | DASH CAMS AUSTRALIA (https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/shop/dashcams/dashcams-australia/mini-0801-gps/)

Better read this then Mini 0801S with optional Rear Camera | DashCamTalk (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0801s-with-optional-rear-camera.31307/)