PDA

View Full Version : Please advise-T4 Transmission oil cooler

Ianm
23-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi,

Can someone help me to set up a transmission oil cooler on my 2000 Tdi auto transmission. Have been advised to remove water block (heat transfer for tranny oil) from top of transmission and fit hoses leading to an external oil cooler. Haven't been able to get detailed info as to what's involved in getting something setup to clamp oil lines to, to run to cooler. Have heard from a couple of sources of people doing it. I do big K's in my van and am starting to see problems with my second auto. Feel strongly that a decent oil cooling system would dramatically extend the life of tranny.

Thanks in advance
Ian

Guy_H
23-01-2008, 04:23 PM
hi Ian,

After your email I did some more digging.

The factory oil cooler is very similar to those found on most other similar era VW / Audi transmissions.

If it were my car - I would:

- try to make an adapter so I could retain the water / oil cooler & run an auillary air / oil cooler (Water to oil can hold a much more consistent temp than the air type)

- look into the like coolers from other models.

An example is the Audi 200T had a trans oil cooler that was almost twice the capacity of the Audi 100 & 80 series (and its a similar type of cooler to yours).

Oil filter / cooler kits are easy - sandwich adapters off the shelf! - What we need is a sandwich adapter for the Auto's :confused:

Ianm
24-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi Guy,

One of my reasons for doing away with standard tranny oil cooler is to do away with the danger of the oil and water mixing. I read about this happening inthis forum http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=1209&highlight=cooler, also heard tales from others as well, also happening more than once from a pilot I work with at times. He's had the tranny oil cooler fail twice, dumping tranny oil thru his radiator. This is on his Mercedes Sprinter, apparently about every 100,000k or so. I'll be fitting one of the new external oil coolers with their own temp switch which switches on it's own thermatic fan when the oil reaches a certain temp.

I recieved info yesterday that the 2 allen head bolts that can be seen holding the block to the tranny are actually hollow banjo type bolts. My auto guy in Brizzy seems to think he can get a kit (consisting of banjo bolts and spacers)to suit my box. Failing this, I'll order 2 new bolts and seals and make up a spacer to suit. Have been advised tho, that pressure is very high and proper crimped on hydraulic hoses are recomended or at least very well clamped on fittings.

Ian

Guy_H
24-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Sounds like the go then, as long as you keep the cooler cool!

good luck.

Oh & yes, they are a sort of banjo bolt :)

jets
24-01-2008, 05:43 PM
It would be nice to have some sort of elect valve that could be controlled by a switch so that in normal short trips the extra cooler was isolated allowing the oil to warm up normally. When travelling in high ambient temps, towing or just working it hard just flick the switch. It could also be controlled by a sensor in the oil to switch on automatically.