PDA

View Full Version : T4 Front wheel bearing

pjbplumbing@bigpond.com
23-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi there,
Has anybody replaced their front wheel bearings?
Does the bearing pull out easy?
Cost of the bearing? Would SKF carry an alternative; cheaper?:o

jets
23-01-2008, 10:13 PM
This is not an easy job. While I havn't done one on a T4, I have done 5 or 6 on mk1 & mk2 golfs. I have just looked at the manual & the design is very similar although obviously larger on the T4.
The brg will be a tight press fit in the housing & may need a 10 tonne press to remove & install. You will also need special press tooling & a puller for the ball joints.
The brand of brg is not important as long as it's a recognised brand.
Try your local brg supplier or VW parts place [sometimes they are cheaper]
How many kms has your T4 done?
The wheel brgs can be damaged by someone removing the centre bolt from the drive shaft or even loosening it with the full weight of the van on the ground.

Jmac
23-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Another thing you will have to do is collapse the torsion bar. Mark it 1st though!

jets
24-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Another thing you will have to do is collapse the torsion bar. Mark it 1st though!

Measure from the end of the thread to the side of the adjusting nut.

pjbplumbing@bigpond.com
24-01-2008, 09:41 AM
My reason for asking about the bearing is I have noticed a noise coming from the suspension when I gently use the brakes or corner the van around at speed. The noise sounds like a disc pad rubbing; yet I have replaced all pads and had the front discs machined. Van has done 100,000 klms.
I have even had the front of the van off the ground and with wheels turning ( motor running in gear) and checked for any noise.???:?: None.
I know the bearing jobbie is a bigun.
Peter

jets
24-01-2008, 04:35 PM
If a wheel brg is gone it will drone[can'ty think of a better description] all the time & the pitch of the noise will alter as the speed increases ie higher frequency with higher speed. From what you have just posted it sounds like something else.

gregozedobe
24-01-2008, 04:42 PM
My reason for asking about the bearing is I have noticed a noise coming from the suspension when I gently use the brakes or corner the van around at speed. The noise sounds like a disc pad rubbing; yet I have replaced all pads and had the front discs machined. Van has done 100,000 klms.
I have even had the front of the van off the ground and with wheels turning ( motor running in gear) and checked for any noise.???:?: None.
I know the bearing jobbie is a bigun.
Peter

Could it be a sticky piston in one caliper not allowing one pad to retract far enough so it touches ? Was one of the old pads worn a lot more than the others ?

pjbplumbing@bigpond.com
25-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Could it be a sticky piston in one caliper not allowing one pad to retract far enough so it touches ? Was one of the old pads worn a lot more than the others ?

Yeah, I like that answer... now that you mention it I had alot of problems pushing the caliper pistons back into their housing when I replaced the pads.
Perhaps they need a service kit and a good grease (brake grease) - or maybe just a good flogging like John Cleese did to his car;)?:rolleyes:
Will enquire about a service kit -any ideas were, who supplies same?
Peter

jets
25-01-2008, 09:15 AM
This is a much easier job to do, and very cheap for parts. This kit should be something your local vw aftermarket shop would sell or brake service/repair business.

pjbplumbing@bigpond.com
25-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks Guys for your imput; I feel better now.
Peter:wink:

Jmac
25-01-2008, 08:52 PM
HI hate to put a damper on it mate but i had a T4 NSW Ambulance do exactly the same thing and it had a flat on one of the bearings in the bearing cassette. All pads and discs had been done but this would cause the noise when driving in a straight line. Whats your like in a straight line mate???
If ok run with the discs run out not being true after machine or sticky piston , but like i say thats creepy you mention bearing as it rings so many bells. Normally when a bearing goes it does drone on the load side but havibg done a T4 with the similar thing dont discount it just yet.
CHeers
( i hate being the bearer of bad news but its better you know incase mate)

pjbplumbing@bigpond.com
25-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Jimmy,
I only hear the noise either on coming into a corner off the gas or gently on the brakes (on a straight), coming to a stop. Any other time its quiet.
Peter

Jmac
25-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Sounds more brakes pal - out of true discs or a sticky caliper mate?? Doesnt sound like bearing now mate.
Cheers