PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Removal 20" buggered

Blackpaladin67
23-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Just removed a 20" for the sake of it on new Arteon. Took a hour to put it back on. It would be almost impossible on the side of the road. That wheels gotta weigh 20kgs and you have to lift it on a lip as there are no studs from the hub ! Some give me a beer .....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Umai Naa!!
23-12-2017, 08:52 PM
I do it all the time.

There's a system to it.

Try doing it on a Touareg ;)

Blackpaladin67
23-12-2017, 09:18 PM
I do it all the time.

There's a system to it.

Try doing it on a Touareg ;)Like a full workout at the gym..lol

99_FGT
24-12-2017, 06:31 AM
Get yourself something like this, or get practising
Kincrome - Wheel Stud Pilot Pin Set 3 Pair | Tyre (9) - Kincrome Australia Pty Ltd (https://www.kincrome.com.au/wheel-stud-pilot-pin-set-3-pr)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

winchy
24-12-2017, 07:45 AM
I made a couple of these for my old Amarok. Cheap and simple to make. A 100mm bolt matching your wheel bolt with 1" of thread. Cut the head off and bevel the sharp leading edge. You only need one. Very handy.

Hillbilly
24-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Or a Landcruiser that the wheel weighs 42KG Best method apart from the pins mentioned is a shovel under the wheel You can work it around easily to get it in the right place. We used to do that with bus wheels without problems.

Not everyone will carry a shovel in the boot i guess so next method is to lower the jack so centre of hub is at right height to just push wheel over it gently or as I found out a week ago the jack can slip if you push too hard.

ian
24-12-2017, 10:34 PM
I bought a 100 mil x14mil bolt cut off the head ,screw it into the top bolt hole ,All you need to do is line up the bolt with the stud hole in your wheel ,
your studs could be 14 mil ? Best check

Blackpaladin67
25-12-2017, 01:41 AM
Looks like i will be buying a long bolt...

JustCruisn
25-12-2017, 07:43 AM
I have this one, the hole in the end helps if it gets a bit stuck.
VW make one, from plastic .

Ozsko
25-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Jack the car up until the load is relieved on the wheel enough for it to be slid off the studs and that means the wheel when being put back on does not have to be lifted onto the studs. We do trucks using that method all the time because they are simply too heavy too lift. No need for levers or extended studs at all and no reason to lift any heavy weight. The wheel is still on the ground but the studs centre in the hole so do not prevent the wheel being removed.

Hillbilly
25-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Jack the car up until the load is relieved on the wheel enough for it to be slid off the studs and that means the wheel when being put back on does not have to be lifted onto the studs. We do trucks using that method all the time because they are simply too heavy too lift. No need for levers or extended studs at all and no reason to lift any heavy weight. The wheel is still on the ground but the studs centre in the hole so do not prevent the wheel being removed.

Yes but when the tyre is flat you dont have to jack it so high to get it off but need it a bit higher to get it on again Just rest the wheel against the hub and raise the jack to match the centre height.

Ozsko
25-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Yes but when the tyre is flat you dont have to jack it so high to get it off but need it a bit higher to get it on again Just rest the wheel against the hub and raise the jack to match the centre height.

I have never had that problem as the tyre returns to the original diameter as the load is removed unless it has destroyed itself as often happens on trucks. Your idea will work just as well but whatever method you use you should not have to lift the wheel by setting the vehicle at the correct height. I wish I had a dollar for every wheel I have changed on trucks and cars over the years. What was worse was having to repair tubes on the side of the road on long trips, break the bead, tyre levers out and get the tyre off the rim one side to remove the tube and it was always raining or a hundred degrees.

Rooboy
25-12-2017, 06:42 PM
I had to change my first tyre in over 10 years a few weeks ago and it was my first time changing a VW wheel but I didn't find any issue with lining it up to refit the wheel.

ian
29-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Try doing it in the dark

Ozsko
29-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Try doing it in the dark.....on a truck. One thing I do after a tyre fitter has changed the tyres is go around and back off the nuts and do them up with a torque wrench or the wheel brace supplied with the car. I have been stuck doing a wheel because they used a rattle gun and it won't happen again.