PDA

View Full Version : DSG Oil specs?

SKiZO
11-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Hey guys,
going to change the DSG Oil soon and was wondering what the actual part/specs of the oil were for the 3.6 CC.

I'm not sure if the guides online with links are the same oils that we can use and I don't want to mess this one up.

If anyone has a good source as well please let me know.

Cheers.

--------------------------------------------

Follow-up:
DSG Oil Change Specs for 3.6L CC

Part Number for the Oil
G052182A2

Torques
Filter Cap 20Nm
Plastic Snorkel 8mm Hex - 3Nm
DSG Drain Plug 14mm Hex Allen - 45Nm

Umai Naa!!
11-12-2017, 11:32 AM
The genuine part number is G052182A2 for the 1L bottle, but there are non-genuine equivilants from Liqui Moly, Ravenol, Swag, Febi, etc.

Be mindful of what procedure you follow. Any that state that you need to weigh the old oil, and putting the same amount back in, are incorrect. There is a good chance you will underfill the transmission. The correct method is to overfill, and drain off the excess. It will only hold as much as it needs to.

3C4M Guy
19-12-2017, 12:23 PM
I tried to buy some 1 litre bottles of the genuine VW G052182A from my local dealer. They apologised and told me that approx. 7 months ago VW discontinued the 1 litre bottles and the DSG oil is now available from VW only in 20 litre bottles. So I sourced some Ravenol. It worked out just like all the guides said. I put in 5 litres, brought it up to temperature, then 200 ml came out = 4.8 L used to fill.

Umai Naa, when draining the old oil, 980 ml came out BEORE removing the snorkel indicating a serious overfill previously. Would this have done damage?

Transporter
19-12-2017, 12:35 PM
...., 980 ml came out BEORE removing the snorkel indicating a serious overfill previously. Would this have done damage?

Because you didn’t have the engine running.

Umai Naa!!
19-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Correct.

Hence why the level is checked with the engine running.

3C4M Guy
19-12-2017, 09:57 PM
"Because I didn't have the engine running". Ah ha. Thank you both very much for this. You've saved me from an embarrassing conversation with the mechanic who did the previous DGS oil change!

I based my methodology on previous posts plus a YouTube video which sequences removing the filter before draining the oil. Clearly the oil would need to be checked prior to removing the filter.

3C4M Guy
19-12-2017, 09:58 PM
And here's the video:

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GncqCbO25U)

Umai Naa!!
19-12-2017, 10:29 PM
With regards to that video, you can leave the battery in.

There's enough room under the battery tray to get the filter housing out.

Transporter
20-12-2017, 07:32 AM
Geess, some Youtuber mechanic experts dismantling 1/2 of the car incl. battery tray, just to get to the DSG filter. :facepalm:

Umai Naa!!
20-12-2017, 06:32 PM
I accept that everyone has their own way of doing things.

For me, and probably you as well, efficiency is key. I just thought the battery thing was worth mentioning, as it adds a few other unnecessary tasks to an otherwise straightforward job.

Transporter
21-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Absolutely, and no need to remove the battery tray and complete air filter box. Definitely the wrong way of doing it, imagine all necessary work that is charged to the customer, or someone lacking the skill following that video and does some damage to the components that don’t even need to be touched. :?

3C4M Guy
21-12-2017, 09:38 PM
In my case, I didn't have to remove the battery because it's in the boot. However I did swing out of the way the metal bracket that holds the air box. Being the first time doing this job, I wanted clear access. I probably won't bother moving the bracket next time.

Overall, the job is A LOT simpler than I thought.

SKiZO
23-01-2018, 01:27 PM
I finally got intimate with the CC last night...
Thanks @Umai Naa!! (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/members/umai-naa-/) for your info. I actually ordered it the same day as your comment, I just never got round to doing the job.

I ordered 6 bottles from Run Auto Parts. They were SWAG brand.

I'd say it was easier than expected - I actually spent most of the time trying to find the correct level for the gearbox so the oil would pour freely.

I used the top-pour with overflow method in combination with the OBDEleven to track the temperature of the oil.
I definitely wouldn't use the measure-replace method. I always suspected I had a low DSG oil and the refill confirmed it.

Out came - just under 4L!
I replaced it with 5.5L.
And the overflow was almost 1L before it started dribbling at 45C.

Test driving today and last night seems good. I haven't had time to do the DSG re-calibration yet, but I can already tell that it's much less clunky and gear changes are "tighter".

Too early to tell whether some of my other DSG glitches I've been having have been re-solved though. Fingers crossed.

I'll update the first post with the torques I used for future reference. Feel free to comment.

Thanks again guys for your comments.