PDA

View Full Version : Sound insulation in MK2 Tiguan

dmnz
04-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Hi all, overall love my new tig but one thing that's driving me crazy is wind noise — in particular at highway speeds. Have also tried adding hose to the door seals but didn't notice a difference. Seems to come through the roof/upper window seal area. Also seems far worse when there are some crosswinds, so wonder if it's linked to the roof rails.

Has anyone experimented with having Dynamat installed - in particular to the roof or doors - or sealing the bottom of the roof rails?

ajdean
04-12-2017, 02:44 PM
I get this too - sounds more like it is coming from the side mirrors / A-pillar to me. I'll be speaking to VW about it, but am not holding my breath that they will be able to do anything about it which is disappointing for an otherwise brilliant car

Seanix
04-12-2017, 03:33 PM
It is a noisy car over 100 kph.
The constant wind noise is around the A Pillar as AD mentioned.
It's one of the biggest set backs about the Tiguan.

2016 RS3. 2015 A4

cabby09
04-12-2017, 07:57 PM
I have the same problem...but mainly from the driver's side only which would tell me that it's more probably a door seal issue. Will get VW to check it at the next service but I don't have faith that the problem will be sorted out.

cameleon72
05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Problem is because vw has overpaid marketing you will never hear this issues and problems in video and online reviews, of course it has lots of noise coming inside cabin ! mostly i noticed is wind noise coming from mirrors is not seal problem , can be also wind from factory roof track as VW made hollow inside to save couple grams on aluminium (tidy ass German )so even little wind when speeding can come thru and make vining sound, the other big issue with noise is poor cabin insulation material used ,in boot insulation is no exist on the rear at all so most noise i noticed is coming from wheels as there is no insulation at all over wheels cabin chassis just carpet no layer of sound acoustic underlay ! So i was thinking long time to put some sound insulation especially above wheels on metal chassis from inside and outside, when i sit in my q3 2 year old i always want to cry how good audi q3 even basic 1.4 model which is cheaper and older has better insulation at least double less noise , tiguan is not worth so much money they which asking for! but has good design and practicality, still should never cost 60k car even for rline!

dmnz
07-12-2017, 03:54 AM
Agree with all the above — quesion is, short of selling the damn things, what can we do?

cameleon72
07-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Problem is am i bit fussy when come to new cars and old school type regarding car design with unfortunately in past 10 years all manufactures went in wrong direction making new cars with low and small windows poor visibility to get better economy or modern design but been in those new car bring me to vomiting like you are seating in prison not in car dont even to note all-round safety visibility which does not exist, also long time been with vw since golf 3 and , have 4 car in family all VAG and all car i fixing my self so i am familiar with , reason I went Tiguan i like practicality huge windows and boxy style with nice rounded shape with lots of space , all car today are low ceiling front and back especially with small ugly windows poor rear visibility only tiguan had still decent size windows (still wish they could even make more bigger windows and lower door trims on this tiguan) included rear one with good visibility nice boxy shape but still mix of modern and retro practicality style ,but those poor quality issue VW made is really not understandable especially looking new tiguan price went up 15- 20 % or $15k more on Rline comparing to privous rline model for that huge increase money they could make better and proper underlay and car acoustic insulation ,but Vw want us to think tiguan are premium car but they are not by quality only by price ,price is almost now in territory of Audi but reality production finish and quality of material inside is not comparable i would even dare to say dont even mach internal quality finish of Skoda which is way cheaper. Will see how it goes if some aftermarket insulation install will help to reduce those cabin noise. I also like to hear comments if anyone try to remove factory roof rails and if is less noise after that , maybe is not mirrors only. If not sell it and maybe wait for new Audi q3 which should come next year and hope will be good alternative :)

gorey
07-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Problem is am i bit fussy when come to new cars and old school type regarding car design with unfortunately in past 10 years all manufactures went in wrong direction making new cars with low and small windows poor visibility to get better economy or modern design but been in those new car bring me to vomiting like you are seating in prison not in car dont even to note all-round safety visibility which does not exist, also long time been with vw since golf 3 and , have 4 car in family all VAG and all car i fixing my self so i am familiar with , reason I went Tiguan i like practicality huge windows and boxy style with nice rounded shape with lots of space , all car today are low ceiling front and back especially with small ugly windows poor rear visibility only tiguan had still decent size windows (still wish they could even make more bigger windows and lower door trims on this tiguan) included rear one with good visibility nice boxy shape but still mix of modern and retro practicality style ,but those poor quality issue VW made is really not understandable especially looking new tiguan price went up 15- 20 % or $15k more on Rline comparing to privous rline model for that huge increase money they could make better and proper underlay and car acoustic insulation ,but Vw want us to think tiguan are premium car but they are not by quality only by price ,price is almost now in territory of Audi but reality production finish and quality of material inside is not comparable i would even dare to say dont even mach internal quality finish of Skoda which is way cheaper. Will see how it goes if some aftermarket insulation install will help to reduce those cabin noise. I also like to hear comments if anyone try to remove factory roof rails and if is less noise after that , maybe is not mirrors only. If not sell it and maybe wait for new Audi q3 which should come next year and hope will be good alternative :)

Gee you guys are tough critics. I can’t say I have noticed the sound issues you are referring to. I will be giving my car a good run from Melbourne to Queensland next week so will be sure to listen out.

I don’t agree however that the Tiguan is over priced and in Audi territory. Audi prices have also increased with the Q5 a prime example. You also can’t compare a base level Audi to a fully loaded Tiguan. A fully loaded Tiguan is a lot of car.

The main differences between an Audi and a Tiguan is going to be the refinement of the interior. Costs have to be cut somewhere to keep at a particular price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transporter
07-12-2017, 12:22 PM
+1.

Why did they buy the Tiguan, when it’s so low quality and overpriced? I personally always roadtest the car that I’m buying making sure it suits and it’s what I want. :?

cameleon72
07-12-2017, 06:27 PM
I purchased because i liked design and practicality and because of the all great reviews bu.....it ''Car of the year'' thought buying ''Made in Germany Proven Quality'' ( now see most part inside is made in China and India but that we leave for some other time and thread I have lots of picture and internal parts documented now by doing some upgrades and retrofits). Some issues and problem you cant discover by 10-15minutes test driving ! ,while VW dealer seating next to you and talking constantly prising the car you want to buy . I have learned my lessens definitely will never again buy anymore just realised brand new model , before I test it good by borrowing it from friends or family. I would be always happy to pay any company $$$ for renting 1-2 day just realised new car model but unfortunately here in Sydney there is no such company's to offer this kind offer on New Germans cars , Hertz is only with some German and EU cars but usually it take them 1+ Year to get in sock latest car. I would be even happy to pay VW dealer if they offer to rent me for one 1-2 day new model test car, that would be great VW features but probably than again they would not able to cheat people and sell many cars as they do now :)

Hole46
07-12-2017, 07:04 PM
I have no complaints with noise in my Tiguan after nine months of ownership. What were these complainers expecting, a bloody Rolls Royce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Transporter
07-12-2017, 07:16 PM
I purchased because i liked design and practicality and because of the all great reviews bu.....it ''Car of the year'' thought buying ''Made in Germany Proven Quality'' ( now see most part inside is made in China and India but that we leave for some other time and thread I have lots of picture and internal parts documented now by doing some upgrades and retrofits). Some issues and problem you cant discover by 10-15minutes test driving ! ,while VW dealer seating next to you and talking constantly prising the car you want to buy . I have learned my lessens definitely will never again buy anymore just realised brand new model , before I test it good by borrowing it from friends or family. I would be always happy to pay any company $$$ for renting 1-2 day just realised new car model but unfortunately here in Sydney there is no such company's to offer this kind offer on New Germans cars , Hertz is only with some German and EU cars but usually it take them 1+ Year to get in sock latest car. I would be even happy to pay VW dealer if they offer to rent me for one 1-2 day new model test car, that would be great VW features but probably than again they would not able to cheat people and sell many cars as they do now :)

By my long testing driving all tiguan 2 models proven that all 4wd new Tiguan 2 are affected regardless 132tsi or 162tsi (higline and rline) some have more and some less but noise is there and this is issue and not acceptable for new car costing 50k - 60k , only 1.4 tsi 2wd are not 100% affected with this problem noise less and smoothness perfect! So all pointing problem is somewhere from Automatic transmission to rear deferential . Put car in eco mode (best way to test as engine has less rpm ) dont use Eco in indvidual menu but directly as Eco directly use costing function ( but Eco in individual menu not using it )which more activate and deactivate clutches ,close the windows sunroof,switch off radio fan, drive alone in quiet street nigh time after 12 when no traffic so you can isolate all external noise and concentrate to inside car noise, find street with lots of humps and roundabout where you need to constantly slow down and drive slowly up to 40km ,once you notice this noise you will always after hear it even during day time and in louder environment , if you dont notice rattle clicking noise than sorry but problem is with hearing( no offence to anyone) or you have 100 % perfect tiguan which i doubt after i tested at least 10 4wd new tiguans and all have issue noted above, some have more and some less noise
Kind Regards

So, which of these is right?

cameleon72
07-12-2017, 11:02 PM
Mate are you Dealer maybe or you paid by dealers, or you trying to provoke me? If you read my story completely you will not ask this questions, this is 2 different thread and different issue, I tested those cars after I purchased my car , as I have run into problems with noise rattle issue which I discovered on my brand new car , and after I gone to couple other dealers not to test drive to buy but to see if other tiguans have same issue!

Transporter
08-12-2017, 06:30 AM
So, you made a mistake and bought the Tiguan without proper roadtest, if the other dealers let you test drive the Tiguan. Why didn’t you do a proper roadtest before you purchased?

It’s just strange that the car that many have no issue with, you’re trying to put down.

We have 2 older Tiguans and have absolutely no issue with and I’ve roadtested several new ones and can’t fault them.

To answer your question, I’m not a dealer or paid by the dealer. Though, I often think about the same when someone is very negative about the car that he/she is just a paid individual who tries to put the negative stories out.

Like others mentioned here, don’t compare the Tiguan to Porsche or Lamborghini.

colinmc400
08-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Actually my wife got in our 3 week old Tiguan last weekend for the first time and within 5 mins we were on the freeway doing 100kph. Her first comment, its a bit noisy isn't it? There is quite a lot of wind noise around the A pillar, compared to my old 2013 Discovery. But not a huge problem for me.

cameleon72
12-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Yes it is defiantly noise even by very little wind you can feel howling wind around mirror even going as slow 30km and up , suspected most external mirrors and roof track, can someone with electric folding mirrors try to test to fold electric mirrors while driving and see if wind noise will stop or reduce ? if is same than aluminium hollow rail tracks are possible case. Wheel and tyre noise especially loud after 60km+ up but this I think can be insulated with adding extra acoustic layer, will try soon some acoustic tweak .

mythik
19-12-2017, 03:06 PM
I can tell you all that a prominent radio personality bought and returned a Tiguan for the annoying wind noise issue. The noise is generated by the mirrors. VW acknowledged they know about it and there isn't yet a fix for it.

DoggiesUtd
19-12-2017, 03:43 PM
I can tell you all that a prominent radio personality bought and returned a Tiguan for the annoying wind noise issue. The noise is generated by the mirrors. VW acknowledged they know about it and there isn't yet a fix for it.

whats so different about these mirrors compared to every other car?

cameleon72
19-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Are you 100% sure buddy that is confirmed mirrors wind noise issue? VW Factory really have done bad job on acoustic on this car . Hope than VW will soon issue AU VW Tiguan recall to update and address wind noise, as this really driving me crazy :( . I am gone take myself care about cabin tyre noise insulation which is also unusual high for this class car , I already try 2x different model tyre on this car , Scorpion Verde is nice soft ride (not good if you prefer sporty feel ) but noisy for my taste.

mythik
19-12-2017, 11:56 PM
Are you 100% sure buddy that is confirmed mirrors wind noise issue? VW Factory really have done bad job on acoustic on this car . Hope than VW will soon issue AU VW Tiguan recall to update and address wind noise, as this really driving me crazy :( . I am gone take myself care about cabin tyre noise insulation which is also unusual high for this class car , I already try 2x different model tyre on this car , Scorpion Verde is nice soft ride (not good if you prefer sporty feel ) but noisy for my taste.

I am 100% it's an issue on all of them as I have personally sat in 3 cars that all have it. It's annoying and made me buy a Passat instead. A local dealership refunded a customer because of it as they road tested them too and they all do it. VW know about it but no fix seems forthcoming. This was over a year ago now.

cameleon72
20-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Hello
I know that wind noise is defiantly problem with new Tiguan as I have one and noticed same night I gone o long first day happy drive thinking maybe was just that day strong wind ;( ,but I am asking if you are 100% sure that VW has mirrors confirmed as case , that's why I am asking if someone with electric mirrors can fold if down while driving and experience wind noise to confirm if any wind noise will stop or reduce , as from my experience dealing with noise issue on car can be very tricky to detect exact direction noise is coming from. I noticed on new Tiguan roof rail track are hollow ( about3-4cm Between roof and rail) which can maybe also be the source of wind noise but tricking us that coming from mirrors , as we have large and small section of glass in pillar than maybe it can trick that Is mirrors , surprisingly If you take look and measure window glass thickness you will be surprise of low thickness off windows glass on new Tiguan ( maybe VW wanted to save on car total weight ?) . I try to compare this with q3 mirrors and I can tell that Q3 even has bigger chunky style mirrors and still 0% wind noise, aerodynamic design maybe is different, but on q3 they make smarter aluminium roof rail is fully installed to roof with no hollow space in between rail tracks and roof and they have machined edges of aluminium on all sides rail tracks to reduce weight and make some aerodynamic channels to help wind resistance .

Seanix
20-12-2017, 01:23 PM
You can't fold the mirrors while driving the car. Must be a safety feature built in to it.

It's not the roof rails. If U install roof racks, then yes there is additional noise from them.

2016 RS3. 2015 A4

cameleon72
20-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Ok Thx didn't know that, I saw some options long time ago while playing with VCDS ,not sure which module but it was one option to auto fold electric mirrors at certain speed I think, I am not sure if is maybe hidden coding option to active to fold mirror while driving .