PDA

View Full Version : MK3 side skirts

Golf Houso
22-01-2008, 06:16 PM
How do you get these things off? :?
I'm going to sand them back and paint them, I've seen a few folks here with MK3's minus the skirts.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Branko.

rayray086
23-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Take off the end-caps (I forgot which one was actually a part of the top strip, so if they require prying, do so carefully). Detach the top strip, it's basically held in by grooves. On the very bottom, there are a few screws holding the main moulding. Once they're unscrewed lift the main moulding upwards - there are two pieces. And you're done!

There will also be a piece that should be stuck on pretty tight to the side sills of the car. If they're not, get a bit of silicon adhesive and make sure they won't fall off.

The_Hawk
23-01-2008, 01:45 PM
SikaFlex is about to become your best friend :D Best thing to reattch car trim.

When I reattached my side skirt I got some washers (and painted them black so they blend in a little more, not that you can see them). The washers helped in my case because the skirt it was holding on was starting to wear out.

Golf Houso
30-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Thx for that guys, I can see what your talking about there, but I've hit a snag...

How do you get those abysmal rivets (are they rivets?) off the far ends of the side skirts to take whole skirt off?

Screw driver or something or rather?

Tim
30-01-2008, 10:06 PM
drill the centre of the rivets out

Golf Houso
30-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I was hoping someone wasn't going to say that, my dad suggested the same thing :(

Oh well, better power start charging the Makita then...

DubSteve
31-01-2008, 09:16 AM
If you drill them carefully then they will just come straight out!

Tim
31-01-2008, 09:28 AM
drilling them isnt so scary. Just make dure u use a small bit and u will find the head of the rivet will pop off. too easy

Golf Houso
31-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh right... not too hard then eh? Hmnn I'll have a go at it today and then hopefully I can start sanding and painting some sexy smooth gloss black bumpers!

Thx guys