PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan broke down today

jpvw01
21-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Anybody else had problems with start / stop in their Tiguan ?

Our 4 day old Tiguan wouldn't start today when the wife stopped to allow the garage door to open.

mengy
21-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Anybody else had problems with start / stop in their Tiguan ?

Our 4 day old Tiguan wouldn't start today when the wife stopped to allow the garage door to open.Hi jpvw01,

I've had a delayed start one day but it started after a slight pause. I have 2017 Tiguan too.

Are you talking about auto start when you are stationary? My small issue was with auto start / stop.

Mengy

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jpvw01
21-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Are you talking about auto start when you are stationary?

Yes Mengy. Wife pulled up in the driveway and car wouldn't auto start. Took multiple attempts and 10 minutes to get it started again.

mengy
21-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Oh I see, wow 4 days old. I would be taking that back to dealer to look at pronto. Last thing you need is a brand new car that doesn't start.

My issue was just a once off. Might pay to emulate settings again if you weren't there. Since its a brand new car there could be safety features kicking in so it doesnt start depending on what action was involved with your wife driving at the time.

I did watch a vid on you tube the other day with the handbrake being engaged if a door is opened and your vehicle is still rolling.

Ozsko
21-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Did it crank on the starter motor and not start or did the starter did not engage?

jpvw01
21-11-2017, 06:49 PM
or did the starter did not engage?
Starter did not engage.

numnut
21-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Do you have your GPS set to home?

For me, everytime i drive back home, I stop to get the remote to open my garage and my car shuts down and tells me to put in P and start the car again (very frustrating). Problem slightly different to yours but i thought my car was dead too. But it could have something to do with it?

But yeah i agree with mengy to simulate the situation again.

Umai Naa!!
21-11-2017, 08:06 PM
I wonder if taking your seatbelt off during the shut-down/restart process upsets it?

ian
21-11-2017, 08:40 PM
As soon as i start mine i turn the Bloody thing OFF

Ozsko
21-11-2017, 09:00 PM
And I have never seen the issue with it. It amuses me the people who have never driven a car with it working but still hate it. How can you hate something you have never used or experienced?

mengy
21-11-2017, 09:26 PM
At first I was a bit uncertain but after driving my girlfriend's Passat and now my Tiguan I'm so use to it. Biggest fear is that it doesn't start back up and you're at a busy intersection for example. I figure these aren't the first cars to have this feature so it should be almost perfected by now. Unless you're really unlucky and have a bad apple.

Anyway... back on topic. Might do some experimenting with seltbelt off etc. Think that just chimes at you though. I do press the button and leave it held down for at least a second or two. Not sure if this really helps. Just like ignition when you turn you dont just turn. You turn key and hold until car starts up.

Seanix
21-11-2017, 09:43 PM
As soon as i start mine i turn the Bloody thing OFFLol.. same but ours is permanently disabled [emoji106]

2016 RS3. 2015 A4

Sydneykid
22-11-2017, 07:56 AM
And I have never seen the issue with it. It amuses me the people who have never driven a car with it working but still hate it. How can you hate something you have never used or experienced?
+ 1
My wife hated it before she tried it because of what clueless people had told her. After a couple of weeks she didn't even notice it stop and start, it just happens.

Cheers
Gary

Pzero
22-11-2017, 08:27 AM
+ 1
My wife hated it before she tried it because of what clueless people had told her. After a couple of weeks she didn't even notice it stop and start, it just happens.

Cheers
Gary

Same here. My wife finds it quite natural. Start/stop works seamlessly. There's only one tricky situation where it stops when parking and not close enough to the wall. So need to be careful starting without accelerating too much but you get used to it. Another idea is to turn off start/stop during parking.

ewok666
22-11-2017, 08:59 AM

Third car with it and I hate it with a passion. Just got to find a minute with VCDS and then it will be gone for good. If only iy could remember the OFF setting like a BMW does.

Edit: I should add, newer S3 and RS3 (MY16 and later) seem to automatically disable this when the DSG is in manual mode so no need to change anything for me.

jpvw01
28-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Got the car back today and there was no error codes reported or real explanation of the cause.

The wife does take her seatbelt off to drive into the garage (no I don't know why) but was advised that this shouldn't cause a problem.

In any case I think I am going to disable the stop / start. Which tool is better to make a few simple changes, VCDS or OBDeleven ?

Seanix
28-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Got the car back today and there was no error codes reported or real explanation of the cause.

The wife does take her seatbelt off to drive into the garage (no I don't know why) but was advised that this shouldn't cause a problem.

In any case I think I am going to disable the stop / start. Which tool is better to make a few simple changes, VCDS or OBDeleven ?I used obdeleven.

From memory - 19 Central electrics: start stop voltage limit: change from default 7.6V to 12V.
Done [emoji106]

2016 RS3. 2015 A4

Sir Tiguanalot
06-12-2017, 06:25 PM
If you have the "Auto Hold" turned on (the button near the gear shift) then it won't start the engine until you press the accelerator. Without Auto Hold depressed, the engine will start as soon as you remove your foot from the brake.

Makes sense when you think about it. But if she had Auto Hold switched on, stopped the car to open the garage, then expected the engine to start again when she removed her foot from the brake pedal, she might have thought it was faulting because it didn't restart.

It's often not a natural reaction, when driving an auto, to want to press the accelerator just to put the car in the garage; we expect to just coast in after letting go of the brake. But with Auto Hold on, you need to. Could this have been the problem?

Anyway, I like auto stop/start. At first it felt unusual, but now I don't notice the engine stopping, and I enjoy the peace when it does!