PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Cross Bars for Roof Rack

marcuskmt
19-11-2017, 06:08 PM
I have the genuine cross bars for the roof rack and am wondering...

1. I believe the old Tiguan had dots on the roof racks to show you exactly where to put the cross bars. The new Tiguan doesnt have these so where exactly should they be?

2. I am having trouble locking the cross bars cap. Is there a special way to lock these? When the lid sits flush, they are lockable, but I'm having trouble getting the lid in the right spot.

3. Are there recommended speed limits when I have surf boards on top when I dont tie the front down (I dont want to damage the paint)?

4. Is it a problem that I do not tie down the surf boards at the front?

iDiesel
27-08-2018, 09:05 PM
Have you got any photos to see where you are having issues?

iDiesel
25-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Hi All

Through regular putting on and taking off my genuine VW roof racks, the rubber boot that protects the roof rails has split.
Rang the dealer and they said it's not a part you can buy separately
Any ideas on how to fix or replace without having to buy a new pair of racks?

PDMJO
25-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Hi All

Through regular putting on and taking off my genuine VW roof racks, the rubber boot that protects the roof rails has split.
Rang the dealer and they said it's not a part you can buy separately
Any ideas on how to fix or replace without having to buy a new pair of racks?

could put some silicone in there - would close the gap and hold them together.

Ozsko
25-07-2020, 08:50 PM
A parts warranty claim depending on age would be possible.

iDiesel
27-07-2020, 09:10 PM
That’s a good thought...I bought them as part of a new vehicle so typically they would covered by the same 3yr warranty?

PDMJO
27-07-2020, 09:14 PM
That’s a good thought...I bought them as part of a new vehicle so typically they would covered by the same 3yr warranty?

it'll definitely have a 1 year warranty, but definitely worth a check to see if it's an extended one

spacemannz
30-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Firstly, that sort of failure is not wear and tear - it should not do that in this timeframe.
Regardless of the dealer/VW's stated warranty period, you should reject the item as being unacceptable quality and insist on repair or replacement at their cost.

If you have no success then perhaps you can source a part elsewhere;
It's probably a rebranded mainstream product. Maybe have a look around Thule and the likes to see if they have something that looks similar. Perhaps they are same and you can source a replacement from them directly.

iDiesel
01-08-2020, 11:04 PM
Thanks Guys
As I suspected, they claim it's my fault, poor installation etc so not under warranty.
Similar with my broken park brake button. But fo this they said to ring VW Australia and make a claim direct and see what they say.

sinkas
03-08-2020, 01:00 PM
the dealer I am trying to buy a tiguan through said the OEM roof bars are bloody noisey,
and recommended the ROLA ones..?

iDiesel
05-08-2020, 09:36 PM
Definitely a little noise coming from them
Just need to make sure you have enough clearance if you have a sunroof