PDA

View Full Version : Disable DRL on 2017 Jetta Comfortline

adamstanley
17-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Can anyone help me. I want to disable the DRL’s on my new Jetta Comfortline. I’ve tried the indicator stalk trick and checked the back of headlight switch which I believe is a euro switch. HELP!!!

ope126
17-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Take the bulbs out...

Seriously though, why don't you want them?

I believe the law is for all cars built past 2011 or 2013 (IIRC) has to have DRLS...

Hillbilly
18-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Ope is correct It is illegal to disable them. Not that it stops some doing it.

DV52
18-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Can anyone help me. I want to disable the DRL’s on my new Jetta Comfortline. I’ve tried the indicator stalk trick and checked the back of headlight switch which I believe is a euro switch. HELP!!!

Adam: Hi: First, you might want to consider the Australian Design Rules (i.e. the ADRs -being road-legal rules for Aussie cars). I haven't read the ADR in quite a while (it's a really arcane document) but my understanding is that if your car was factory fitted with DRLs, it's an offense to disable the lights - alas.

Second, if you really want to proceed - the "correct" way to disable DRLs, is by turning-off the software switch in the module that controls lighting in the car. If your car is built on an MBQ platform, that module is the BCM @ address hex09. IF you simply remove the lamp, the monitoring ciruits in the car will detect a light failure and you will/should get an error message on the dash

Don

adamstanley
18-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Thankyou all for your responses. Yes I’m aware that I probably shouldn’t be turning them off. I’m on the road for work a lot and spend a lot of time parked on my laptop with the car running hence the reason I don’t want them on while stationary.

Hillbilly
18-11-2017, 02:22 PM
If you are parked with the car running what are you worried about LED's draw 2/5 of sweet FA Far better to be seen than get hit without them and have no insurance Cant see the logic in turning off safety devices. Better turn your steering wheel airbag off as well so laptop doesnt hit you in the face if disaster happens when parked

DV52
18-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Thankyou all for your responses. Yes I’m aware that I probably shouldn’t be turning them off. I’m on the road for work a lot and spend a lot of time parked on my laptop with the car running hence the reason I don’t want them on while stationary.

Adam: Again, it depends on whether your Passat is MQB platform, but if it is - I wrote a really simply tweak that will turn-off the DRLs whenever the hand brake is applied - sounds like it might be perfect in your situation.

see HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-84619-post1078316.html#post1078316)

Don

ope126
18-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Adam: Again, it depends on whether your Passat is MQB platform, but if it is - I wrote a really simply tweak that will turn-off the DRLs whenever the hand brake is applied - sounds like it might be perfect in your situation.

see HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-84619-post1078316.html#post1078316)

Don

Don, looks like he has a Jetta Comfortline.

blutopless2
21-11-2017, 10:37 AM
you shouldn't be stopped with the engine running whilst using a laptop - its illegal.. computers are treated the same as a mobile phone for drivers...
To "Park" a vehicle the engine will be off.

adamstanley
23-11-2017, 12:11 PM
I came on here for some genuine advice not to have the p..s taken and be ragged on. If you don’t have anything constructive to say don’t comment!!

Hillbilly
23-11-2017, 12:33 PM
I came on here for some genuine advice not to have the p..s taken and be ragged on. If you don’t have anything constructive to say don’t comment!!

You have 4 posts asking how to do an illegal modification.

Dont ask how to do illegal things as they are not promoted on here. All you have been told is constructive in the light of keeping you on the right side of the law. If you dont like it dont ask similar questions

adamstanley
23-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Interesting that members have offered me solutions if that’s the case??

blutopless2
24-11-2017, 01:54 PM
not ragging on you... just giving some advice in case you weren't aware of the law...... but do what you want.