PDA

View Full Version : Dashcam for Tiguan

DigitalCourt
08-11-2017, 07:36 AM
Thinking about installing a front and rear one:
BlackVue DR750S-2CH Dash Cam - BlackVue Australia (https://www.blackvue.com.au/product/dash-cams/dr750s-2ch/)

Anyone have experience with them and willing to share thoughts?

sVWatt
08-11-2017, 07:53 AM
Have been a BlackVue user for 8 years. Awesome units. Currently got the predecessor to this in my S3.

Front and rear cameras, clear, hi res, cloud enabled, good app.

Easy install...Dashcam Protection - Page 3 (http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php/46905-Dashcam-Protection/page36?p=401567#post401567)

Will get another for the Tig when it arrives 😀

Hillbilly
08-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Thinking about installing a front and rear one:
BlackVue DR750S-2CH Dash Cam - BlackVue Australia (https://www.blackvue.com.au/product/dash-cams/dr750s-2ch/)

Pensioners demand driver apologises for kicking them off bus for 'talking loudly' (https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/98658768/pensioners-demand-bus-driver-front-up-and-apologise-after-he-kicked-them-off-bus)

Anyone have experience with them and willing to share thoughts?
You would be okay with a 650 which is similar except for a lower res rear camera but is probably a fair bit cheaper. I use two in my car A DR500 which is a few years old and a DR450 in the rear. Two DR450s would be my 2nd choice.

IsDon
08-11-2017, 10:06 AM
I have a DR650GW 2ch in my Audi A6 and it's been fantastic. So much so that I didn't hesitate putting the updated DR650S 2ch in my wife's new Tiguan when we bought it in April.

The DR750 is another improvement. They just keep getting better.

The only issue I had was an internal battery failure on the Audi camera about 18 months ago. It was way outside warranty. This "RTC" battery is used to keep the clock running and to manage the shutdown when the power is removed when you park. Customer service from Autoblackbox (the Australian distributor) was exemplary. They gave me the option of having my camera repaired, or they suggested an exchange for the same price for a faster turn around. I took the latter. It came with a 3 month warranty. The cost was around $100 if I remember correctly and that included freight.

If you're planning on using the function to record while you're parked I suggest the Celllink battery.

Cellink-B Battery Pack For Dash Cams - Best Price [Free Delivery] (https://www.linelink.com.au/collections/accessories/products/cellink-b-battery-pack-for-dash-cams)

There is a cheaper option of a Powermagic Pro but I found this more problematic. The Powermagic is designed to run the dashcam until your car battery voltage reaches a threshold you set, say 11.5V, then cut off the power to the dashcam to prevent your battery from being completely drained. It's not reliable. After it failed to disconnect my camera, and completely drained my battery, on three occasions I ripped it out and threw it as far as I could. They're just not good enough. It also destroyed my car battery which had to be replaced. About $600. I wish I'd spent the $250 earlier and save a lot of angst.

Installation is very easy and can certainly be completed with an average technical competence level. I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to install it unless you're totally put off by tinkering. The rear cam can easily be wired such that the cable runs through the existing rubber grommets and associated pipework.

I suggest Linelink for purchase. They seem to be consistently the cheapest and will even do a great deal if you purchase everything together. Just send them an email and ask. They were also great to deal with.

I have no association with any of the dealers or products mentioned. Just happy spreading good service stories.

spacemannz
08-11-2017, 10:25 AM
@IsDon - I’m seriously considering your recommendations...thanks for that.
I’ve installed head units, hard wired radar detectors etc in older vehicles, but am a bit wary of all the airbags in pillars etc of new cars. Particularly the potential to either disrupt correct deployment of airbags, or create a hazard of launching non-standard accessories at occupants.
Obviously common sense applies, but do you have any tips/pics/wisdom for correct installation that you can share please?

IsDon
08-11-2017, 10:52 AM
@IsDon - I’m seriously considering your recommendations...thanks for that.
I’ve installed head units, hard wired radar detectors etc in older vehicles, but am a bit wary of all the airbags in pillars etc of new cars. Particularly the potential to either disrupt correct deployment of airbags, or create a hazard of launching non-standard accessories at occupants.
Obviously common sense applies, but do you have any tips/pics/wisdom for correct installation that you can share please?

Wife's Tig is with her at work so can't photograph it at present.

You don't actually have to interfere with the airbags whatsoever. The camera comes with a trim removal tool, but you only use it to poke the cables into the gap between the roof trim and the windscreen and then the same gap down the A pillar. It's dead easy.

Another thing I recommend is to buy a roll of black double sided tape. The cable clips that come with the camera have light grey double sided tape which is quite obvious from outside the car. Black tape effectively makes the clips invisible.

Another suggestion is a add-a-fuse from Jaycar. This will enable you to power the camera through an existing circuit on the fuse box without having to solder or cut wires.

Hillbilly
08-11-2017, 11:14 AM
I have a DR650GW 2ch in my Audi A6 and it's been fantastic. So much so that I didn't hesitate putting the updated DR650S 2ch in my wife's new Tiguan when we bought it in April.

The DR750 is another improvement. They just keep getting better.

The only issue I had was an internal battery failure on the Audi camera about 18 months ago. It was way outside warranty. This "RTC" battery is used to keep the clock running and to manage the shutdown when the power is removed when you park. Customer service from Autoblackbox (the Australian distributor) was exemplary. They gave me the option of having my camera repaired, or they suggested an exchange for the same price for a faster turn around. I took the latter. It came with a 3 month warranty. The cost was around $100 if I remember correctly and that included freight.
I replaced both batteries in both my 400 and the 500 Cost $2.60 ea for the little battery and $3.50 ea for the Lipo and 1/2 an hour with a solder iron and a steady hand Have installed at least 6 cameras in VW, Colorado, Territory and a Courier All hard wired to the fuse blocks using these latterly.

Photos are of Front camera in the Passat and rear camera mounted on a piece of Colourbond over the roof door trim in the rear of the wagon Kept falling off the plastic.. Fuses are in the Polo with them stuck in spare slots with little fuses I got at Jaycar Not sure if they still sell them or not. Very hard to solder onto the fuses due to a surface they put on them

IsDon
08-11-2017, 11:18 AM
I replaced both batteries in both my 400 and the 500 Cost $2.60 ea for the little battery and $3.50 ea for the Lipo and 1/2 an hour with a solder iron and a steady hand

That's good to know.

Autoblackbox don't even replace the batteries in house. They send them to Korea.

I wasn't even sure how to get into the thing. Must admit I didn't try hard. Did you just work it out yourself, or did you have some guidance? If it happens again I might try to fix it myself.

Hillbilly
08-11-2017, 11:31 AM
That's good to know.

Autoblackbox don't even replace the batteries in house. They send them to Korea.

I wasn't even sure how to get into the thing. Must admit I didn't try hard. Did you just work it out yourself, or did you have some guidance? If it happens again I might try to fix it myself.
Plenty of how to's on Youtube U need a fine Phillips screwdriver and a credit card and it all comes apart You need to be able to do fine soldering on circuit boards which is a bit of an acquired skill which I developed chipping Playstations in a past life LOL

IsDon
08-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Plenty of how to's on Youtube U need a fine Phillips screwdriver and a credit card and it all comes apart You need to be able to do fine soldering on circuit boards which is a bit of an acquired skill which I developed chipping Playstations in a past life LOL

Cool, I just had a look at one. Looks pretty straightforward.

I did electronics at school (in the days when tech schools existed) so soldering is a handy skill I learned years ago. Along with fitting and machining, welding, plumbing etc that kids don't learn these days. They're great at creative writing and aboriginal studies though.

Hillbilly
08-11-2017, 12:02 PM
You need specific batteries which when I get time I will post the model numbers for

spacemannz
08-11-2017, 12:12 PM

You don't actually have to interfere with the airbags whatsoever. The camera comes with a trim removal tool, but you only use it to poke the cables into the gap between the roof trim and the windscreen and then the same gap down the A pillar. It's dead easy.

Another thing I recommend is to buy a roll of black double sided tape. The cable clips that come with the camera have light grey double sided tape which is quite obvious from outside the car. Black tape effectively makes the clips invisible.

Another suggestion is a add-a-fuse from Jaycar. This will enable you to power the camera through an existing circuit on the fuse box without having to solder or cut wires.

Good tips. Thanks mate.

Yep, I don’t think my Dad or Grandad ever hired a tradie for anything. The old man would even stitch us kids up to save a trip to the doc. Both left school at 15 with basic STEM and the 3Rs (Reading, ‘riting, ‘rithmetic). He can still recite log tables and 16 times tables. Political correctness escapes them both... and they don’t care.

Hillbilly
08-11-2017, 12:24 PM
When you fit the wiring down the A pillar it is best to run it forward along the gap between the dash end and the pillar trim then up the front of the trim beside the screen. Using the body tool you can just run it in behind the pillar trim easily. Reason is if you dont do it this way and the side airbag goes off it will blow the A pillar trim and the camera into your face Do the same along the front of the roof trim. Except on the Polo which had the edge glued down so used blutack to hold it against the front of roof trim Cant even see it if done neatly

Last tip (dont ask how i found out) is start at the camera and work back to the dash Then you can tuck the extra cable away out of sight. For the rear I ran cable along between the sill trims and the carpet then behind side trim behind rear seat and finally up under the tailgate seal and out to the camera as in the photo. Second cable is for the GPS which is mounted on left side window.

The good old edumacation. I rarely need a calculator, have worked as a builder , Telecom technician, computer fixer, part time mechanic, mens hairdresser, house renovator, Taxi & bus driver (Worst jobs ever) Jet boat driver, Tourist guide in Fiordland in NZ, restored old telephones and manual exchanges and modified games machines. Thats about all LOL

IsDon
08-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Good tips. Thanks mate.

Yep, I don’t think my Dad or Grandad ever hired a tradie for anything. The old man would even stitch us kids up to save a trip to the doc. Both left school at 15 with basic STEM and the 3Rs (Reading, ‘riting, ‘rithmetic). He can still recite log tables and 16 times tables. Political correctness escapes them both... and they don’t care.

I think I'd like your Dad.

DigitalCourt
08-11-2017, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the advice - any chance you can please post some pics of your install?

IsDon
08-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the advice - any chance you a please post some pics of your install?

Sure. Tomorrow afternoon. Can’t get her out of the car.

IsDon
09-11-2017, 12:36 PM
As promised.

First, from outside looking in. Notice the black double sided tape for the cable clips. Much better than the standard grey. The cable is routed to the passenger side as that's where the fuse box is on the Tiguan and it made for an easier install.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/af7e002b58a28bb6fae25a68954157e0-1.jpg

Next is the view from the driver's seat. The camera is virtually hidden by the mirror. Make sure you check that you can still adjust the mirror to the desired setting for all expected drivers and seat positions. The black box above the camera at the top of the windscreen is the etag also cleverly painted black rather than the standard light grey.

Seriously, who has grey interior these days? The last one I remember was my dad's EH Holden.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/15a01187419df559c47e6c330f21ef00-1.jpg

Next is the rear camera. Photo taken with the boot open. Notice the cable is run behind the boot trim and then through the existing rubber conduit into the vehicle proper.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/21ab7f9b72a0f9c7ead12391a691c200-1.jpg

Last photo is the Celllink battery on the floor under the front passenger seat. It's attached to the floor carpet with Velcro. Never moved. The wiring runs adjacent to the existing wiring for the seat heater and then under the front passenger scuff plate into the area behind the panel adjacent to the front passenger footwell.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/3d0651477c3ecc41241483d95c03268a-1.jpg

spacemannz
09-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Thanks IsDon. Great tips and narrative.
I’m seriously considering duplicating your setup. Not cheap but goes a long way to offset insurance excess.... had some douche reverse into my last car in a car park and drive off leaving me with a smashed grille. The same week I was trying to sell it as immaculate. Dash cam with battery would’ve given me a licence plate to pass onto insurers/police, for sure.

Btw, nice idea painting the e-tag. I think UK Tigs have a smart card slot next to SD slot in glovebox for tolls. Presumably a transponder is integrated into the sensor array above the rear view mirror. Nice.

DigitalCourt
10-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Thanks IsDon

How did you get through the rubber conduit in the rear?
Did you have to take trim off?

IsDon
10-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Thanks IsDon

How did you get through the rubber conduit in the rear?
Did you have to take trim off?

The Grommet at each end of the conduit just pull away from the bodywork, and then push back in. Used a bit of wire to pull the cable through to where the camera is mounted. It's pretty obvious once you pull out the conduit.

I don't think I had to pull the trim off from memory, just fed it through with some stiff wire, coat hanger would do.

DigitalCourt
10-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Great! Really appreciate all the help.

drivesafe
11-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Hi Hillbilly and IsDon and thank you for a great info thread.

I have one question that I think I have worked out but not sure as the manual does not cover the use of a second battery to power the DR750S-2CH.

I already have a dual battery set in my Tiguan, to run a fridge, and I am planning on powering the DR750S-2CH from the auxiliary battery, via a relay, which is turned on and off via the ignition circuit ( I am using the rear cig power socket to control the relay ).

When I need to run the DR750S-2CH while parked, I will have a switch to bypass the relay and power the cameras direct from the auxiliary battery.

From what I can get from the manual, this should be a straightforward setup, but would you know if there anything with the wiring or power requirements that I have missed?

Hillbilly
11-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Well I havent got one but as far as i am aware the rear cameras are powered off the front one

DerTig
11-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, all good stuff on dashcam installs in here, Great to see... Thx!

I have a DR650S-1CH sitting on the shelf that needs installing and keep putting it off.
Bought the hardware (fuse tap & cig socket) in case anyone is looking for:
Double Blade Fuse Socket Wire Tap | Jaycar Electronics (https://www.jaycar.com.au/double-blade-fuse-socket-wire-tap/p/SF5115)
CIGARETTE LIGHTER INLine Socket | Jaycar Electronics (https://www.jaycar.com.au/cigarette-lighter-inline-socket/p/PS2003)

I'm just having a bit of a dilemma where to take the neutral from on my Tig, as everything around the fuse panel is plastic. Remember one of you went the "penetrating" avenue :-) with a self tapper elsewhere on the body, but prefer not to if anyone else found a better way...

So what's the options you found for getting the neutral(negative) on the Tig?

Cheers.

IsDon
11-11-2017, 03:14 PM
I found issues with the Earth also. Ended up going the self tapper route.

As far as the dual battery setup goes, I'm not entirely clear what the setup is, but I assume you're powering the cameras from the aux battery via the rear cig socket for when the cars parked. As I see it, that makes the rear cigar socket constantly powered. In normal driving through the normal car electrics, then when parked, via the aux battery. If that the case I'm not sure why you need another switch. If powering the camera while parked relies on you manually powering the camera through a switch then you know what will happen. The one time you get hit will be when you've forgotten to turn the camera on. I'd just use an automotive relay to throw the power supply to the car when you're driving then, when the ignition is off, the relay throws the power to come from the aux battery. Set and forget is what you're after.

Yes, the rear camera is powered by the front camera. Only one wire runs to it. It doesn't require a seperate power supply.

drivesafe
11-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Hi Hillbilly and IsDon and thanks for the info.

Don, my intentions were, as you posted, to power the cameras via a relay powered from the auxiliary battery, which is mounted under the floor in the cargo area.

I was only using the Cig Socket in the rear to turn on the relay while the ignition was on. The switch was to allow the cameras to be powered while in parking areas.

And yes I see your point, as I already have a problem remembering to deactivate the STOP/START every time I get in, best to leave the cameras powered all the time, direct from the auxiliary battery and then no need for the relay.

As I already have had a low life dint the passenger door with his puss box van door, and he took off, so simpler to just leave it on.

Regards, Tim.

Hillbilly
11-11-2017, 09:37 PM
However you have the camera set it wont pick up damage on the sides of your car as they only point front and rear. Leaving it on full time is not a good idea either as they tend to run a bit hot. Set it to be in parking mode and turn motion detection right down as they can pick up people walking 50m away and start recording. Or a tree branch blowing. Had mine parked with the rear facing an Aldi carpark on the other side of a 4 lane road and it was picking up the movement in the carpark and virtually recorded for the hour it was there

IsDon
12-11-2017, 01:34 AM
As long as you’re happy that the dashcam will completely drain the aux battery if you’re parked for a long time, I see no drawback in leaving it on continuously. Aux batteries are deep cycle so completely flattening them won’t damage them. That’s what they’re designed for.

I concur with what Hillbilly said with reference to using parking mode and knocking down the sensitivity. To further elaborate, this is one clever little device. When you’re driving it uses the g sensors to register impact and record an “Event” which then can easily be found later. It uses the buffer memory to record 10 seconds before the event to 50 seconds after the event. Like a time warp.

Once the car has been stationary for 5 minutes, by GPS, it enters parking mode. Parking mode reduces these g sensors to a very low threshold. When driving these g sensors would register every small bump on the road as an impact which is not ideal. When the car’s parked though, every movement is registered as an impact.

There is also a movement detector that senses visible movement of people/cars/my neighbours bathroom light etc which comes into action during parking mode. Cleverly the camera doesn’t record continuously when in parking mode, only when it sees movement or registers an impact. This reduces battery drain, saves space on your SD card and thereby keeps a longer record of relevant recordings.

The factory setting (40 from memory) of this visual motion sensor is way too sensitive. It records the slightest movement of trees blowing miles away. I set it to 10 and it seems pretty much perfect.

Another thing you might consider, since you’re powering the camera from an aux battery, is a wireless hotspot. This will allow the camera to be connected to the cloud for as long as the camera is powered. You can then set it to send you a message in your phone if an impact is registered. You can also look at what the camera sees in real time remotely. It’s very clever.

drivesafe
12-11-2017, 02:34 AM
Thanks again Hillbilly and IsDon, and I can see I am going to need to do a lot of experimenting before I get it to where it will do what I want.

I can see me posting a lot more questions and thanks again, for the great guidance.

I’m planning to fit these to two vehicles and while my Tiguan is used all the time, the other may sit in my garage for weeks at a time, so I will need to set them up differently for each vehicle.

I originally looked at some cheaper units but these seem to be far better in so many ways.

Regards, Tim.

numnut
05-03-2018, 10:09 PM
I think i will need help with installing a 2 channel dash cam. Does anyone have a step by step on how to install one?

Would be much appreciated :cool:

Rocket36
06-03-2018, 08:56 AM
They're simple if you aren't hard wiring. I.e. just using cigarette socket. The Blackview 750 2 channel comes with a trim separator tool to make it easy to run the cables through the trim. And sticking them to the windscreens is pretty self explanatory.

jolv
16-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Hey guys,

Recently installed blackvue on the Tig. Here's my DIY attempt without taking out any of the trims off (as i dont know how), it's not perfect as I can't hide the wires at the bottom corner of Pillar A... Also I'm not sure what the vents are behind the Rear View mirror, it looks like the Anti Theft stuff on the front side of the Rear View so I avoided placing the camera obstructing those vents...

iDiesel
19-12-2020, 08:37 AM
I have a DR650S-1CH sitting on the shelf that needs installing and keep putting it off.
Bought the hardware (fuse tap & cig socket) in case anyone is looking for:
Double Blade Fuse Socket Wire Tap | Jaycar Electronics (https://www.jaycar.com.au/double-blade-fuse-socket-wire-tap/p/SF5115)
CIGARETTE LIGHTER INLine Socket | Jaycar Electronics (https://www.jaycar.com.au/cigarette-lighter-inline-socket/p/PS2003)

What size fuses did you use?
same as the ones you pulled out of the fuse holder?
I’ve seen differing reports - some where you only need the fuse you pulled out, and others where you need both the old fuse as well as a second fuse in the fuse tap to get power to the camera

I bought two 750 single channel cams - one for my Tig and the other the wife’s Fiesta

Flipper Dog
19-12-2020, 08:55 AM
Double blade wire taps require two fuses, both matching the original type and size you intend to tap into.

Hillbilly
19-12-2020, 09:07 AM
Hey guys,

Recently installed blackvue on the Tig. Here's my DIY attempt without taking out any of the trims off (as i dont know how), it's not perfect as I can't hide the wires at the bottom corner of Pillar A... Also I'm not sure what the vents are behind the Rear View mirror, it looks like the Anti Theft stuff on the front side of the Rear View so I avoided placing the camera obstructing those vents...

Go here and it shows you the proper way to install a front camera

Dash Cam Install Tutorial – Volkswagen MK2 Tiguan – AutoInstruct (https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk2-tiguan/mk2-tiguan-dash-cam-install/)

Make sure you run the cable BEHIND THE AIRBAG down the A pillar. I have found easiest way is to pull it up from the bottom with a wire you thread down carefully behind the airbag being careful not to damage it Smooth end of wire off or wrap in tape so not sharp.

Hillbilly
19-12-2020, 09:12 AM
What size fuses did you use?
same as the ones you pulled out of the fuse holder?
I’ve seen differing reports - some where you only need the fuse you pulled out, and others where you need both the old fuse as well as a second fuse in the fuse tap to get power to the camera

I bought two 750 single channel cams - one for my Tig and the other the wife’s Fiesta

You always need two fuses or one circuit wont work Here is the correct way to install the fuse tap so that the power runs to both fuses correctly and not backwards through the original fuse

If you use one of these it has a fuse in it so you just need a 3 amp in the top slot and the original one in the plug will work as normal.

I do all my installations that way so that you can then take the camera out and use it in another car easily

iDiesel
20-12-2020, 06:13 PM
U
Double blade wire taps require two fuses, both matching the original type and size you intend to tap into.

If you use one of these it has a fuse in it so you just need a 3 amp in the top slot and the original one in the plug will work as normal.

Sorry guys, a little confused - Flipper you are saying to use the same amperage as the one I am tapping into, and Hillbilly saying to use 3amp fuse?

Hillbilly
20-12-2020, 07:19 PM
U

Sorry guys, a little confused - Flipper you are saying to use the same amperage as the one I am tapping into, and Hillbilly saying to use 3amp fuse?

The bottom one is the original circuit so yes you use the original fuse.

The top one can have a 3 amp up in it as if you do it the way ive shown below it really doesnt matter what it is. You only need a big enough one not to blow before the one in the camera plug which is 2 amp

Looking at my left picture above it shows what you need and if you use the ciggy socket you can put a 5 or 10 in the top as the plug has a 2 amp in it. See wiring diagram below and in the link above it shows you the correct way to wire up a dashcam in a Tiguan.

I did my rear by using two individual cameras and so ran the power cable along the floor under the door trims and into the rear quarter. Then up to the wiggle connector and into the taildoor (fun job but I cheated)

The wiggle connector comes out from the body by putting a small screwdriver in the end UNDER the corrugated bit and levering it gently inwards and it will pop up and out Be gentle or you could break the clip in it

This Golf installation shows you how to do it Dash Cam Install Tutorial – Volkswagen MK7 Golf – AutoInstruct (https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/)

The Tiguan is virtually identical except I run the cables on floor as there is an airbag right along the roof and I wouldnt put cables along there at all

iDiesel
21-12-2020, 07:01 PM
Thanks Hillbilly
I picked the new “X” series so it has the Power Magic built in

Hillbilly
21-12-2020, 07:52 PM
Use the hardwire cable if you WANT parking mode and it is the same as the PMP diagram just without the PMP. DONT use ABS or AIRBAG fuses There is a page in the manual that tells you what they all are

If you DONT want parking mode but want to hardwire it you can either do it like I showed with an extra ciggy socket or you can simply use the hardwire kit and wind the red and yellow wires together and crimp them into a fuse tap in the ACC fuses. it wont work unless you power both wires and I have done this with a couple of my cameras

iDiesel
28-12-2020, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the help
Installed the Blackvue 750X yesterday and all went in pretty easy
Hardest part was realising that I needed to run the cable from the fuse box to the dash cam
The hardwire cable has two inline fuses on the two power cables (ACC and Battery) which made it hard (bulky) to fit through the gaps.
The trims came off pretty easy including the housing behind the mirror

A couple of questions though for those that have Blackvue cams;
1. Do they record all the time whilst driving or only save “events”. I was using an old GoPro which was good for holiday trips to capture some of the countryside while driving for family videos
2. How long does it keep recording in “parking” mode - do you guys use “time lapse” or “motion & impact detection ” setting?
3. Any point having the front LED on?

Hillbilly
28-12-2020, 10:28 PM
Thanks for all the help
Installed the Blackvue 750X yesterday and all went in pretty easy
Hardest part was realising that I needed to run the cable from the fuse box to the dash cam
The hardwire cable has two inline fuses on the two power cables (ACC and Battery) which made it hard (bulky) to fit through the gaps.
The trims came off pretty easy including the housing behind the mirror

A couple of questions though for those that have Blackvue cams;
1. Do they record all the time whilst driving or only save “events”. I was using an old GoPro which was good for holiday trips to capture some of the countryside while driving for family videos
2. How long does it keep recording in “parking” mode - do you guys use “time lapse” or “motion & impact detection ” setting?
3. Any point having the front LED on?

1 Yes and depending on the way you set it up will do that

2 you should be able to set both time and battery cutoff voltage

3 No I have all leds turned off always. You want stealth not obvious

You should have been able to remove side trim beside glovebox and thread cables in through there I mounted camera on passenger side of windscreen as was too low in centre. You can just see it in picture as I painted the lettering out and also did my toll tag after that pic was taken.

Always pull cable through to camera and then work back so excess is behind the dash.

Make sure you threaded cable BEHIND the airbag in the A pillar

iDiesel
29-12-2020, 08:09 AM
Thanks Hillbilly
I went the centre position
Thought the higher position you have it, it maybe obscured slightly by the windscreen sunshade tinting, but on checking there isn't any.
I painted my toll tag black but the bracket has that white double sided tape, so haven't done that bit...yet.
Need to get some clear tape - any ideas on where is best?

Yep, made sure I went behind the airbag.
Did my wife's First also.
The trim on that came off super easy and it has cabling running down the passenger A pillar so was an even easier job.
Only issue was it used micro blade fuses, not the mini's I had bought so need to get a couple new fuse taps and fuses

Hillbilly
29-12-2020, 08:39 AM
Thanks Hillbilly
I went the centre position
Thought the higher position you have it, it maybe obscured slightly by the windscreen sunshade tinting, but on checking there isn't any.
I painted my toll tag black but the bracket has that white double sided tape, so haven't done that bit...yet.
Need to get some clear tape - any ideas on where is best?

Yep, made sure I went behind the airbag.
Did my wife's First also.
The trim on that came off super easy and it has cabling running down the passenger A pillar so was an even easier job.
Only issue was it used micro blade fuses, not the mini's I had bought so need to get a couple new fuse taps and fuses

Very good However Mini taps will fit in micro fuses as had to do that in my sons Fiesta as couldnt get my hand in to push the micros in properly so the minis have the same spacing, just a bit higher. Consequently I have 10 micros left over LOL

You can buy black tape at Bunnings like this is also good for sticking the cameras on with and other things so my roll has all gone

Scotch 2.5cm x 1.5m Extreme Double Sided Mounting Tape | Bunnings Warehouse (https://www.bunnings.com.au/scotch-2-5cm-x-1-5m-extreme-double-sided-mounting-tape_p3961938?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S4gdH 774ljT0WjmdDOzkZQKiQ9l1ZKiBoeXZqGEQf8U2gfnfZI4Sqoa AvN7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

iDiesel
31-12-2020, 08:23 PM
You can buy black tape at Bunnings like this is also good for sticking the cameras on with and other things so my roll has all gone

Scotch 2.5cm x 1.5m Extreme Double Sided Mounting Tape | Bunnings Warehouse (https://www.bunnings.com.au/scotch-2-5cm-x-1-5m-extreme-double-sided-mounting-tape_p3961938?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S4gdH 774ljT0WjmdDOzkZQKiQ9l1ZKiBoeXZqGEQf8U2gfnfZI4Sqoa AvN7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)
Cheers, will try a roll of that tape.

Hillbilly
31-12-2020, 08:58 PM
Cheers, will try a roll of that tape.

Sticks like s*** to a blanket all my cameras are fixed with it and oldest one has been there for over 3 years in QLD

readyone
27-10-2023, 07:04 PM
Just looking at putting a dashcam in my Tig - I'm reading about using the power to the auto dimming mirror to power it. Has anyone done this?

INSTALLING DASH CAM TO POWER FROM REAR VIEW MIRROR - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqIDTYLgWh8)

Hillbilly
28-10-2023, 08:06 AM
Just looking at putting a dashcam in my Tig - I'm reading about using the power to the auto dimming mirror to power it. Has anyone done this?

INSTALLING DASH CAM TO POWER FROM REAR VIEW MIRROR - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqIDTYLgWh8)Can only do it with a 5v camera The best camera is the Blackvue and they are tidy and reliable instructions that are applicable are here Dash Cam Install Tutorial – Volkswagen MK7 Golf | AutoInstruct (https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/) Be careful wires are behind airbags

enzso
28-10-2023, 10:25 AM
Thanks Hillbilly but those instructions are for wiring it to the fusebox. I want to plug a splitter adapter directly into the rear mirror power as per the link I attached in my post.

Hillbilly
28-10-2023, 11:47 AM
Thanks Hillbilly but those instructions are for wiring it to the fusebox. I want to plug a splitter adapter directly into the rear mirror power as per the link I attached in my post.

Why try to reinvent the wheel as that is the accepted way in VW cars Also I think that it is only 5 v at the mirrors and also doesnt allow you to power a rear camera. Also in that link the camera he is using is a Garmin which is absolute rubbish. A friend got me to install one and it ended up in the bin.
Far better to do it properly and safely with a quality camera like the Blackvue or a Viofo for a quality cheaper one The Garmin and Mio and Navman are all to put it politely are cheap rubbish all mostly made by same outfit and rebadged. Have been installing them for over 13 years so have a good idea of whats what

enzso
28-10-2023, 03:45 PM
Why try to reinvent the wheel as that is the accepted way in VW cars

I guess because to my eye it looks a whole lot simpler just running a short cable to the rear view mirror. I've actually temporarily just fed the cable down the A pillar, around the dash on the passenger side, behind the glovebox and under the trim of the centre console. I'm surprised how much I've been able to tuck down into the trim and it all looks really neat so I'll probably just leave it as is now.

Also in that link the camera he is using is a Garmin which is absolute rubbish

Good to know. I bought the Garmin Mini 2 after reading a couple of recommended reviews on Dashcam Owners Australia and TechRadar. For $200 it's working well so far and doing everything I need it to do, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Hillbilly
28-10-2023, 09:37 PM
I guess because to my eye it looks a whole lot simpler just running a short cable to the rear view mirror. I've actually temporarily just fed the cable down the A pillar, around the dash on the passenger side, behind the glovebox and under the trim of the centre console. I'm surprised how much I've been able to tuck down into the trim and it all looks really neat so I'll probably just leave it as is now.
Good to know. I bought the Garmin Mini 2 after reading a couple of recommended reviews on Dashcam Owners Australia and TechRadar. For $200 it's working well so far and doing everything I need it to do, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Go to www.dashcamtalk.com (https://www.dashcamtalk.com) for honest reviews by people who know what they are talking about. Dashcam owners think their camera is the best when they havent tried a really good one. I hope when you ran it down the pillar you put it behind the airbag and not just tucked it behind the trim cos if you did you could end up wearing it if bag goes off. Can the Garmin actually read Plates Ones mate had couldnt. When I had the Tiguan and now the Kamiq the most cable you can see is about 75mm coming out of the headlling to the camera.

enzso
28-10-2023, 09:56 PM
Go to www.dashcamtalk.com (https://www.dashcamtalk.com) for honest reviews by people who know what they are talking about. Dashcam owners think their camera is the best when they havent tried a really good one. I hope when you ran it down the pillar you put it behind the airbag and not just tucked it behind the trim cos if you did you could end up wearing it if bag goes off. Can the Garmin actually read Plates Ones mate had couldnt. When I had the Tiguan and now the Kamiq the most cable you can see is about 75mm coming out of the headlling to the camera.

I've just tucked the cable in the small gap between the A pillar and the windscreen. No trouble reading plates from what I've tested. The Garmin was recommended as one of two cameras in the best budget buys for 2023 here Buying Guide: Choosing the Best Dash Cam - 2023 - Dash Cam Owners Australia (https://dashcamownersaus.com.au/buying-guide/)