PDA

View Full Version : OEM tyres from Michelin now available

Flipper Dog
21-01-2008, 12:53 PM
The tyres my Touareg was fitted with were Michelin Latitude Diamaris 255 60 R17 106V made in Spain.
I have been trying for some time now (since Sept 07) to get a spare tyre as the cheap nasty one I have is just that and I have not needed to place it on.

After a lot of running back and forwards with Volkswagen Australia and the OEM manager at Michelin Austraila I am now able to get the spare as Michelin have imported a container load in for the Touareg. Thats nice but Volkswagen is also putting on other makes of tyres to the current Touaregs, I know of Goodyear Wrangler F1 and still Dunlops are getting around as seen on a R5 demo last week.

Of those who currently have these tyres on your vehicle at lease you are now able to get a replacement if you need to or if like me have a real size wheel can now have on a spare.

Pricing is retailed at $375 from authorised Michelin dealers which in Sydney are Jaxs or Bob Jane. As at Monday 21st Jan 08 only 14 were imported by Michelin.

Flipper Dog
May '07 Facelift V6 TDI Shadow Blue with anthracite cow, hole in roof, bit sticking out from behind to catch your shin on and Satnav at a 1/10th the price because it sticks on to my windscreen.

armdlo
21-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi FD
Thanks for the information,
Whats your opinion of these tyres, how are they wearing, and are they a road tyre only or suitable for dual purpose.

Armdlo

Flipper Dog
21-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Armdlo,
I have been suprised so far with these tyres. I now have clocked up 20,000km on them and yes some wear is visible but no were as much I have heard from the Dunlops on the older Touaregs. I would guess I would get at lease 20,000 to 30,000km more out of these tyres.

Latitude Diamaris are at the prestige high performance end of the market just as the Latitude Sport is but I think an updated version, there for they are more of a road/street tyre, but saying that I have taken them on some off road tracks and are more than happy. They are alright in the rough stuff (rocks etc) as the sidewalls are strengthen for that. No slipping/spinning in low range climbing. Not the best in mud at low speeds. Sand driving okay but nothing to worry me yet. Overall for a duel purpose tyre I am still smiling.

The big problem in my size (255/60 R17) is availability of tyres if I wish to keep this size. I don't want an aggresive off roader as more time is spent on the good black stuff so these have been great for me. Going towards a 235/65 R17 or 235/60 R17 can offer a bigger range at the lower end of the market as Fords X5 wantabe run something around that size.

To be honest I have been a bit of a Michelin fan for a while having Michelin tyres fitted to most of my previous vehicles all with excellent results in handling and wear. These have been cars not 4WDs so time will tell on the current tyres. I will get a spare and hopefully after mid next year replace them with the same ones:)

If I have a bad report from these tyres I will post ASAP as I think I am the first to really get some km's up on these in Australia:cool:

Flipper Dog
May '07 Facelift V6 TDI Shadow Blue with anthracite cow, hole in roof, bit sticking out from behind to catch your shin on and Satnav at a 1/10th the price because it sticks on to my windscreen.

sparky
24-01-2008, 08:30 PM
If Tourareg tyre size is an issue in terms of availability...is 275/60 17inch feasible on the seven and a half nch rims?Rgds

Flipper Dog
24-01-2008, 08:41 PM
If Tourareg tyre size is an issue in terms of availability...is 275/60 17inch feasible on the seven and a half nch rims?Rgds

I have seen some in an American forum use 275's but not on 17" wheels just starting on the 18" and 19" of cause. the widest I have heard is 265's with 17".
Some bloke is talking of 305/35/22 for he's ride j:

There is about a 1/2 dozen different tyres to look at currently just make sure what ever you look at is rated for the Touareg as it is a bit heavy to run a cheap made in China no name brand on.

Tyres are like running shoes, pay for a good set and they will last you in comfort, get a cheap set and live with the blisters.:)

dmm_au
25-01-2008, 08:18 AM

Look here;
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Enter the details of the stock (255/60/17) and new tyre (275/60/17).
Result, radius increases from 361 to 389mm (approx), but that's more than 15mm, so might not be legal in all states, and you might need to inform you insurer that you have modified your vehicle.

In practical terms it's very close, when the Speedo say you're going 100kph, you'll actually be doing 103kph.

I think the better alternative size is the 235/65/R17, which is a little bit thinner, but almost the same radius and diameter.

Here are a few alternatives in that size
Cooper Discoverer ATR 235/65R17 104T (739mm) 0.1% too slow
Continental ContiCrossContact AT 235/65 R17 XL 108H FR tires
Toyo Opat 235/65R17 104H
WRANGLER MTR 235/65R17 104T

And this one in the stock size
Hankook Ventus ST RH06 255/60R17V 106V

I have no personal experience with any of these tyres. It's just research based on size and availability in Australia.

barefoot
25-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Cooper also has a Discoverer HP Sport that is only .5% over the stock tyre (and 60,000km warranty. I think Bails run these and they look 'good'

T Rex
28-01-2008, 06:29 AM
I recently saw a V6 TDi demo with Pirellis fitted. Has anyone tried the Pirelli Scorpion STR? It looks as if it would have a reasonable on-road/off-road compromise. Cheers

Here's the datasheet: http://www.pirelli.com.au/web/catalog/ProductPdf?product_uri=/pirellityre/en_AU/browser/xml/catalog/car-suv-van/SUV_SCSTR_SUM.xml&product_name=Scorpion_STR

Transporter
28-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I recently saw a V6 TDi demo with Pirellis fitted. Has anyone tried the Pirelli Scorpion STR? It looks as if it would have a reasonable on-road/off-road compromise. Cheers

Here's the datasheet: http://www.pirelli.com.au/web/catalog/ProductPdf?product_uri=/pirellityre/en_AU/browser/xml/catalog/car-suv-van/SUV_SCSTR_SUM.xml&product_name=Scorpion_STR

No on TReg yet, but on Forester Pirelli Scorpion STR were very noisy and I couldn't wait for them to wear down and replaced them when still had 3mm left at 50,000km. For that awful noise I’d never buy them again.

Cheers

T Rex
28-01-2008, 04:32 PM
No on TReg yet, but on Forester Pirelli Scorpion STR were very noisy and I couldn't wait for them to wear down and replaced them when still had 3mm left at 50,000km. For that awful noise I’d never buy them again.

Cheers

Thanks. Good to be forewarned. Cheers

Sunshineviking
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Cheers

Yeah

I had the same problem on my Land Rover will the scorpions. They wore out after 45000kms and I was glad to replace them with Michelins.