PDA

View Full Version : Coolant warning

smarty
27-09-2017, 12:59 PM
The other day i had the coolant light and error popup while driving (first time its happened)

The Tiguan is 800km's away from its first service, sure enough i pulled over and the coolant res is basically sitting on the low marker, obviously during driving the level moves around and has triggered the sensor.

Should i be worried? Its only done 14,000kms or is it too early to tell if there is a problem? Ive not noticed any coolant on the floor ever and there doesn't seem to be any obvious visual leaks

I would have thought that if there was an airlock or bubbles from filling at the factory that i would have had this problem well before 14,000kms as surely by now the coolant system would be well bled

hmm

spacemannz
27-09-2017, 01:14 PM
I’d top it up as per the manual if it needs it and monitor it daily under same conditions. I.e. check when cold, and check when hot. Note if there is an obvious decline over time for either condition.
It might be worth booking that 15000km service ASAP and asking the dealer about it.

smarty
27-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Yeah I'm booked in for next Friday.
I'll let them know and see what happens, i guess they'll not worry and just top it up
I think if it drops again after this service then that probably indicates there is a problem, i would have thought there should be zero loss regardless

spacemannz
27-09-2017, 03:43 PM
I have to admit I lifted the bonnet once at the dealership (why? to check the engine was there I guess). At 600 km, I think I should lift the dipstick and check the fluids. I’m used to the 1000km service of yesteryear...

Yep the dealer will just shrug and top it up. Although they may be able to read the temperature log file and see if it has overheated.
Going forward, take a photo of the water reservoir before and after you drive it each time after the service. For at least the first week, and then perhaps every week or two thereafter. Look for a trend in the level.
The worry is, if your engine runs hot due to a leak, but doesn’t blow/seize, the dealer will likely fix the leak and leave you with a half baked engine for the rest of its life. That will probably be about 3 days after the warranty expired.

Afterthought... Have you noted the temp on the temperature gauge? My 162TSI rises quickly to a steady at about 90C in Sydney spring heat if that is helpful for reference.

smarty
27-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Yep mine sits on the same about 90c and never noticed that its been above that, 162 TSI also.
I've had the car since 28 Feb 17. will see how we go

ope126
27-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Just grab some G13 and top it up!

NW3192
27-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Every VW I’ve owned sits on 90 degrees. 100% normal. Had a thermostat go bung on a Mk7 GTi. Showed very quickly on temp gauge plus the engine systems reduced the max rpm to 3,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bora Sport
27-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Just top it up with water. Distilled preferably but tap water in small quantities is fine.

smarty
27-09-2017, 11:08 PM
I understand the premise on topping it up, but its like topping up an engine with oil that's not meant to be burning it.
I don't know if its reasonable that the coolant needs to be topped up at this stage.
I'm not overly concerned at this stage anyhow, if it does it again after the service then ill be concerned.
Just wondered if anyone elses new tig has had abit of coolant go astray, or if its normal before the first service that you would notice a drop as things all settle in

Bora Sport
28-09-2017, 06:33 PM
I was only suggesting that because the low coolant light is on then put some water in it to stop the light coming on until the service. Obviously it has to be monitored to determine if there is a problem.

smarty
28-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Cheers
It’s only come on twice which is good, if it was beeping at me all the time I would just top it up.
Both times have been downhill, so the low level must just move slightly and trip the sensor.

Cobwebs
22-10-2017, 06:33 PM
I've done only 4800kms and just completed a 2800km road trip. Arrived home with no warnings. Next day I went to go out and the coolant earning is displayed. I check the coolant tank and it is completely empty. The manual says I should get a 'professional' to fix the problem. Any comments or recommendations?

Gashde
27-10-2017, 11:04 AM
My coolant warning came up last night just as I was leaving from work, when I checked the reservoir it was way below the Min range, which came to a big surprise for me as I've only done 826*KM on my 8 months car. This morning the warning didn't appear.

Would that be normal? On my previous car I change coolant basically every 10000km at service, and still have plenty of fluids left.

IsDon
27-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Without the manual to rely on, as I’m away at present, I think you’ll find that the volume of the coolant level is only accurate when the engine is at operating temperature. It will be lower when the car is cool. Thermal expansion of fluids and all that physics stuff.

In times gone by the reservoir in the photo was called an “expansion tank”. In the years before expansion tanks the coolant just dropped out onto the road. Now the coolant systems are are closed system. Instead of the coolant being dumped it is collected in the expansion tank. Then, when the engine cools, the fluid in the expansion tank flows back into the radiator.

If the volume in your expansion tank has been decreasing over time then you must be leaking it somewhere. The likely culprit is the radiator cap. Other options are the heater hoses, the radiator hoses or, least likely, the head gasket. If you’re worried, spend $10 on a new radiator cap (safety tip. Only remove it with the engine cool) then top up your coolant level to the full mark with the engine warm and monitor it for a couple of weeks.

Gashde
27-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Without the manual to rely on, as I’m away at present, I think you’ll find that the volume of the coolant level is only accurate when the engine is at operating temperature. It will be lower when the car is cool. Thermal expansion of fluids and all that physics stuff.

In times gone by the reservoir in the photo was called an “expansion tank”. In the years before expansion tanks the coolant just dropped out onto the road. Now the coolant systems are are closed system. Instead of the coolant being dumped it is collected in the expansion tank. Then, when the engine cools, the fluid in the expansion tank flows back into the radiator.

If the volume in your expansion tank has been decreasing over time then you must be leaking it somewhere. The likely culprit is the radiator cap. Other options are the heater hoses, the radiator hoses or, least likely, the head gasket. If you’re worried, spend $10 on a new radiator cap (safety tip. Only remove it with the engine cool) then top up your coolant level to the full mark with the engine warm and monitor it for a couple of weeks.

Cheers on the info mate! :cool:

Although after the drive home last night (engine heated), the fluid level was roughly the same as the picture above (Which I took this morning, both below the minimum line). I've checked the floor and there's no evidence of liquid stains anywhere, I'm taking the car into the dealer to have a check up tomorrow, hopefully there's no leakage here.

IsDon
28-10-2017, 05:28 AM
Are you certain it was filled to the correct level from the factory? Did you check it when you took delivery?

Not beyond possibility that it has always been low. I'd just top it up to where it should be and watch it for a few weeks. There might not be anything wrong.

Cobwebs
28-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Are you certain it was filled to the correct level from the factory? Did you check it when you took delivery?

Not beyond possibility that it has always been low. I'd just top it up to where it should be and watch it for a few weeks. There might not be anything wrong.

With my coolant warning incident I eventually called Volkswagen Assist. The guy said that 'often' the cars are low in coolant from the factory. He topped it up with water (as the quantity of liquid required is only that seen on the tank). Then note the level and keep an eye on it. It is better to check when the engine is cool.

Gashde
29-10-2017, 05:18 PM
With my coolant warning incident I eventually called Volkswagen Assist. The guy said that 'often' the cars are low in coolant from the factory. He topped it up with water (as the quantity of liquid required is only that seen on the tank). Then note the level and keep an eye on it. It is better to check when the engine is cool.

Went in yesterday, guy basically said they must've not topped it off when I got the car, this might explain why my washer fluid came up short also just recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dose Pipe Sutututu
09-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Thread bump, my shietbox 162TSI is doing the same thing..

Had the same issue, called up the dealer and they said to just top it up.. I told them it's a new car, I bought a new car so I wouldn't need to touch it. They advised to take it in - they completed a pressure test and topped it up.

Today at 9980km, guess what? low coolant again!

Brand new car, hasn't even clicked over 10 000km and it's gobbled up probably 1L of coolant already.

smarty
09-04-2019, 08:38 PM
Yep mines done it again and will beep now every drive
This time at 38,000 kms
It’s going on Friday for them to look at it, I said there’s no visible drips or leaks anywhere so don’t just top it up, pressure test it to ensure it’s holding up. I accepted the air lock from factory thing the first time but wouldn’t expect it again now

smarty
12-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Ok so it’s done a a seal on either the water pump housing or thermostat housing or something a-rather, anyway it has to be re booked back in and they said it’s a 4-5 hour job to replace so that’s why it’s slowly loosing coolant. Just thought I’d give the update

Hillbilly
12-04-2019, 05:58 PM
My 2 day old one has the coolant level cold sitting at the wide part of the tank so will keep na eye on it

Dose Pipe Sutututu
12-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Ok so it’s done a a seal on either the water pump housing or thermostat housing or something a-rather, anyway it has to be re booked back in and they said it’s a 4-5 hour job to replace so that’s why it’s slowly loosing coolant. Just thought I’d give the update

Quality car, considering it cost us close to 60k

I actually wanted to get a Hyundai Tuscon but wifey said no, wanted a european lol

smarty
12-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Yeah but things like this can happen to any car, Hyundai to Maserati, It may be that there was a small air gap in the silicone bead on the initial application of sealant who knows

At least they pressure tested it and found the problem like I asked and not just ‘topped her up and see how she goes’

cameleon72
15-04-2019, 11:32 PM
With all otherserious issue I had on car , this one with Coolant constant top up isminor . It happen since I received I noticed it drink and loosing coolant .Reported to Stealer . first time, yeh ok we find it and fix it, you hadsome bubble trap air in system all god now.. . Yeh right new car andfactory air trap, but ok I swallow it.
After 2 months again same problem as before under minimum and I needagain top up .
Next complain and visit to dealer . yes we find it this time it is T plasticwith thermostat broken .. New part installed and replaced . Noticed after2mth. some coolant again lost but didn't reach yet min, so I ammonitoring now.

However after some research I am thinking that maybe this is notfault ,but design of TSI ,which is new design of EA888 , coolingpipes from engine going directly over turbo and circle around.
Which give me explanation how come temp on this car reach 90 Degree inabout minute cold engine starting time!

When I first received car was winter time, and noticed on AID dashboardtemp gage so quick rising to 90 Degree temp in about 30sec, thinking it must be some bug and issue with SW and Coolant tempsensor.
However this is actually correct and real-time temp reading but just some this engine amazing design which allow you to haveheating in winter in less than minute and plus cooling Turbo and prevent carbonbuild . But we know more heat and circulating around hot turbopipes can also lead to vapouring and lose of bit coolant liquid for result . Ifis coolant lose only because of this VW engine good design and notesome broken damaged pipe in car system than I don't mind to topup bit every 3-4 mth. Less carbon build and longerlife Turbo and super fast heating in winter is amazing tech.
Here is video explaining ,you can watch from here directly coolant part all complete video https://youtu.be/KJbKNIJqAEA?t=196 (https://youtu.be/KJbKNIJqAEA?t=196)

Dose Pipe Sutututu
17-04-2019, 11:02 AM
‘topped her up and see how she goes’

That was their approach on ours unfortunately, it's going down again and now at 11k kms it's back on the lower part of the minimum line.

jolv
22-05-2019, 03:14 PM
hi guys,

i did not receive a coolant warning but was just doing some checks and find that my coolant is below the Min line. It's only been 6 months since I have the car so I'm puzzled. Another observation is my coolant temp on my AID seems to always be 90, rarely i see it anywhere else at all. Seems odd to me.

Anyways,

- do i top up with demineralised water? and observe?

Hillbilly
22-05-2019, 03:58 PM
hi guys,

i did not receive a coolant warning but was just doing some checks and find that my coolant is below the Min line. It's only been 6 months since I have the car so I'm puzzled. Another observation is my coolant temp on my AID seems to always be 90, rarely i see it anywhere else at all. Seems odd to me.

Anyways,

NO you should buy a bottle of the proper coolant and top it up with that. Says which one on the outside of the tank G13 isnt it ????
DONT dilute it with water

90 is usual temp unless really hot day and towing something up hill.

Simonr23
22-05-2019, 04:20 PM
The expansion tank (I’m assuming it’s been checked on level ground and at the right temp) should be fine for a few hundred mil of demin water.

Also, most temp gauges are biased to show their ‘good’ position over a wider range of temps (say 75-105) than is naturally assumed (and indicated by the dial)

Has anyone tested a tig/golf to see if obd readings change the coolant temp numbers?

I know in mine the oil temp varies a lot, yet my water temp never budges from the 90 mark(once warmed up) I know there is more water and a better system for maintaining its temp, but past experience tells me it’s not 100% honest.

Transporter
22-05-2019, 04:25 PM
hi guys,

Anyways,

You can top up with the demineralised water, note how much you put in and tell your mechanic to check/adjust the concentration at your next service. Alternatively you can buy VW coolant from dealer and dilute it to 50:50 since it’s a concentrate. You don’t want to top up all the time with the concentrate because once it reach 65% the coolant will boil sooner than when mixed 50:50 ratio.

rave75
18-06-2019, 04:54 PM
My Passat had the coolant light on at 55k km. The temp meter stays at 90 while the light was on. The coolant is below the minimum. Went to supercheap to get coolant liquid, they guy said better to flush the old one before you put a new one. VW service rep said don't top it / replace the fluid. Just put distilled water.

I am confused.

feenix74
18-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Do not use Supercheap Auto coolant in a VW (in the words of Dr. Egon Spengler "Don't cross the streams!"), your risk creating gunk in your coolant system.

Suggest you go to a VW dealer and buy a bottle of VW G13+ coolant, then mix it with water (distilled water if you so desire) in accordance the directions on the bottle and use that to top up your coolant. It will reduce your chances of incurring a costly bill later. As a interim solution you can top up to the min mark with water (you are diluting the anti-freeze/anti-boil/anti-corrosion additive levels but it is ok for a top-up).

Hillbilly
18-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Look on the side of the coolant bottle It has which one it uses there Its Either G12 or G13 Probably the latter

DO NOT mix Coolants in a VW or you will be in deep doodoo. It turns into gunk if you do and will stuff the engine.

Do what Feenix says

Lastly find out why its losing coolant Could be the water pump as they are not known for longevity Only about $1000 to fix it $250 for the pump rest labour

Dan_3MPS
19-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Happened on mine as well. Was up in the hills on the Qld/NSW border on a Sunday after driving from sea level to 1000m ASL.

Short of anything else I pulled over and topped it up with water at the time. No further issues since.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

feenix74
19-06-2019, 03:43 PM
My understanding is that you can mix VW G12, G12+, G12++ and G13 coolants. However, never, ever, mix G12, G12+, G12++ and G13 with the old VW G11 (pre-1996 VW coolant) as you are guaranteed to get gunk in your coolant system as a result.

VW: Mixing Factory Fill Coolants (http://www.underhoodservice.com/volkswagen-engine-coolants-tech-tip/)

Mixing VW coolant with non-VW coolant (unless you know for sure that the product is produced by the OEM supplier) is also risking the creation of gunk.

I was taught a rule of thumb by an old-VWer that as long as the coolant feels a bit slick and slippery when you rub it between your fingers (and then go wash your hand thoroughly before you handle food) it will be ok for anti-freeze/anti-boil performance (noting that if you follow the mixing ratio on the bottle of coolant that you buy from VW you will get the best anti-freeze/anti-boil/corrosion protection performance from the coolant).

As Hillbilly says, might be worthwhile having a quick look for a leak in your coolant system (if you have top up again in the near future then you are most likely dealing with a leak). Usually you can see the dried pink crust of coolant near the leak. Usual suspects are the water pump and the plastic flanges where the coolant pipe attaches to the engine block.

Transporter
19-06-2019, 04:24 PM
My Passat had the coolant light on at 55k km. The temp meter stays at 90 while the light was on. The coolant is below the minimum. Went to supercheap to get coolant liquid, they guy said better to flush the old one before you put a new one. VW service rep said don't top it / replace the fluid. Just put distilled water.

I am confused.

Just put distilled water in and let your service guy take care of it, they’re right. Don’t mix different coolants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rave75
21-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the reply guys! Will top it up with distilled water until my next service (5k km).

GRD
21-08-2019, 12:06 PM
A lot of coolant posts but only one fault reported????

I had a low coolant warning a few months ago. Topped up with a small amount of water and thought that would be it.
Checked the coolant the other day and noticed it's dropped from when I topped it up (marked with a texta).

When I looked more closely around the overflow reservoir there looked to be evidence of fluid coming from somewhere under the reservoir.
The cars booked in for it's first service in about a week and a half so I'll see what they have to say.

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with the reservoir.

Passat R36
21-08-2019, 01:41 PM
thats not coolant trace

sharp
21-08-2019, 09:15 PM
A lot of coolant posts but only one fault reported????

I had a low coolant warning a few months ago. Topped up with a small amount of water and thought that would be it.
Checked the coolant the other day and noticed it's dropped from when I topped it up (marked with a texta).

When I looked more closely around the overflow reservoir there looked to be evidence of fluid coming from somewhere under the reservoir.
The cars booked in for it's first service in about a week and a half so I'll see what they have to say.

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with the reservoir.

Just before my 2 year/30,000km service I've got the coolant light come up. The water level was just under the line in the reservoir. I thought the dealer would just top it up and send me back home but no, they did a pressure test without asking and found a leak. They replaced the thermostat housing. It's all good now.

Scratchyratface
22-08-2019, 08:30 AM
I had a coolant leak in my TT just last week, turned out the Thermostat had a leak (the water pump had already been replaced under warranty). Thermostat & labour cost me $2000, unfortunately out of warranty :(

GRD
22-08-2019, 11:09 AM
Just before my 2 year/30,000km service I've got the coolant light come up. The water level was just under the line in the reservoir. I thought the dealer would just top it up and send me back home but no, they did a pressure test without asking and found a leak. They replaced the thermostat housing. It's all good now.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Tim Foley
29-08-2019, 07:49 PM
My 2016 Passat B8 132 tsi has coolant low warning light come on at 27000 klms. Checked reservoir and it was indeed below minimum. Took to dealer. Was pressure tested no fault found .topped up and issue attributed to air lock from factory. 10000 klms later at minimum level again this time tested again and leak from thermostat housing detected. Housing replaced and VW also replaced water pump as precaution . 10000 klms later again at minimum level. Pressure tested again no fault found and issue attributed to possible air lock when water pump was replaced. Topped up. 10000 klms later again at minimum this time the most ridiculous excuse given and I have this stated on invoice from VW dealership and was repeated from VW Australia. “ coolant consumption up to 500 ml per 1000 klms is within specification. This means your vehicle could consume 7.5 litres of coolant within a service interval and VW would consider that vehicle to be operating within specification. Would you consider such a vehicle fit for purpose? I dont
That's good to know. Thanks.

Simonr23
29-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Crock of ****, is my thought.

Dan_3MPS
28-09-2019, 11:28 AM
Happened on mine as well. Was up in the hills on the Qld/NSW border on a Sunday after driving from sea level to 1000m ASL.

Short of anything else I pulled over and topped it up with water at the time. No further issues since.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Happened again the other day, changed the dash display to watch oil temps and could see them rising rapidly...evidence of a leak around the water pump area.

Luckily a dealer was nearby and I dropped in. Next to nothing left in the coolant reservoir, when the tech opened the reservoir up the system spewed out a heap of fluid all over the place. His explanation was a huge airlock, said it will need full flush and refill, topped up with water only as they didn't have access to the parts department for the G13 required. My old GTI did exactly the same thing as this when the water pump let go, so my guess is the water pump has shat itself.

Driving the wifes Golf around in the meantime, Tiguan goes in this week to be looked at...

Dose Pipe Sutututu
02-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Sigh, mine has been topped up 3x times by the service centre too

Once when I noticed the issue, 2nd time at it's 15k service and 3rd time when I went into get the bearing/grease fault addressed.

nek minnit blow pump, and lift a head.

Transporter
03-10-2019, 07:40 AM
It’s nothing unusual and once it’s out of warranty they happily report it and charge for the repair.
Many drivers will not even know that there was a leak and it’s been topped up a few times or think that it’s normal to add coolant during the year.
It isn’t normal, the cooling system is closed to the outside air most of the time and there shouldn’t be any top ups needed. The amount of water that evaporates is negligible and the level should always stay close to the max. If the alarm comes on, there’s a leak.

Dose Pipe Sutututu
03-10-2019, 12:24 PM
But thank you for the 5 year warranty, going to sell it at the 4.5 year mark and buy another Tiguan (MK3 or 4?) and rinse/repeat lol.

I do like the car, all the creature comforts, but it sure stands up to its name of being unreliable!

Transporter
03-10-2019, 01:22 PM
But thank you for the 5 year warranty, going to sell it at the 4.5 year mark and buy another Tiguan (MK3 or 4?) and rinse/repeat lol.

I do like the car, all the creature comforts, but it sure stands up to its name of being unreliable!

Unreliable?
Did it break down?
Did it leave you stranded somewhere?

:?

Simonr23
03-10-2019, 02:03 PM
Assuming all stories are being conveyed truthfully (and there’s no point/evidence assuming otherwise) then I think it is a reliability issue- for those users.

My car has had the sunroof lights replaced, AID replaced, 9.2” screen replaced, drivers seat replaced- all in les than 10000kms.

My gearbox is a bit crap (I suspect either logic, or solenoid issue) with its 2nd/3rd change. It won’t always respond to the paddles and holds the change in auto modes far too late. It also often slips/slurs the change- under varying throttle/incline/decline situations.

The car hasn’t broken down, but they are faults and failures.

Dose Pipe Sutututu
03-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Unreliable?
Did it break down?
Did it leave you stranded somewhere?

:?

At the rate it's going, I fear it will.

When you need to bring coolant/distilled water everywhere you go in a car that's less than 1.5 years odd with less than 17500 km on the clock around with you everywhere you go, then labelling it unreliable isn't too far fetched.

All my previous **** boxes were Japanese cars, never had to do such thing nor have I ever needed to top up the coolant, but yes they also were super boring.

Dose Pipe Sutututu
03-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Assuming all stories are being conveyed truthfully (and there’s no point/evidence assuming otherwise) then I think it is a reliability issue- for those users.

Exactly!

If anyone thinks I'm full of it, I'll happily scan and post up all the paperwork from VW.

Also I wished they upgrade this forum, it makes uploading images such a pain in the backside.

Hillbilly
03-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Yeah wish they would update and take away the huge advertising in your signature Just a waste of forum space

Dose Pipe Sutututu
03-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Yeah wish they would update and take away the huge advertising in your signature Just a waste of forum space

Feel free to add me to your ignore list, that way you won't see my posts.

Sudoku
08-01-2020, 06:00 PM
Now getting coolant warning for my 162TSI. I have done 12.5k till now. Service center at dealer says to top it up with water as it is still some time for first service. I have got demineralised water. Should i top it all the way up or just upto minimum? Anyone faced this recently?

IsDon
09-01-2020, 02:20 AM
Now getting coolant warning for my 162TSI. I have done 12.5k till now. Service center at dealer says to top it up with water as it is still some time for first service. I have got demineralised water. Should i top it all the way up or just upto minimum? Anyone faced this recently?

Coolant is made up of a large percentage of water.

You can buy coolant concentrate from super cheap. The red one is for VAG cars. Mix in accordance with recommendations on the bottle if you’re anal or just add a bit to the reservoir and a proportional amount of tap water.

Or, you could just do as your dealer says and top it up with water. The amount you’re adding compared to the total volume of the cooling system is minuscule so it won’t change the concentration much at all.

Demineralised water is overkill. I probably wouldn’t put bore water in it as it can be very hard but tap water in oz is quite soft in most regions. It amazes me that people will put demineralised water in their radiator, or even more laughably in the windscreen washer reservoir, but make their kids drink from a tap. If it’s good enough for your kids to drink, it’s good enough for your radiator. These same people put Nitrogen in their tyres. One born every minute.

If the car’s cold, only fill up to half way between min and max initially. Check again when the engine’s warm and the level will increase towards max.

The level in the reservoir is designed to be read when the car’s warm and coolant expands with temperature. No point in overfilling as it will just overflow as the engine warms up and make a mess.

Simonr23
09-01-2020, 06:16 AM
To everyone, be careful just buying ‘red’ coolant. Check the specs of the coolant on the company website and see if they have a ‘products for my car’ section. Many do.

Also, a lot of Aussie water isn’t soft- even where it is, distilled/demineralised is still the way to go.

For reference, Adelaide has super-hard water. Everything gets scale affected here in short order!

IsDon
09-01-2020, 06:36 AM
To everyone, be careful just buying ‘red’ coolant. Check the specs of the coolant on the company website and see if they have a ‘products for my car’ section. Many do.

Also, a lot of Aussie water isn’t soft- even where it is, distilled/demineralised is still the way to go.

For reference, Adelaide has super-hard water. Everything gets scale affected here in short order!

Scale builds up when water boils.

Your coffee machine might need descaling every few months to remove buildups. That’s a machine that is boiled 3-4 times a day.

Automotive coolant systems don’t boil. If they do there’s something wrong and you’d be replacing coolant every day. Even though the coolant temperature may reach over 100 degrees, the system is pressurised and water only boils at 100 degrees at 1 atmosphere. The coolant also has anti freeze and anti boil properties to further stop this process. It also has anti rust properties.

No scale can build up without boiling. But go ahead. Buy demineralised water if you like. If you think the dealer uses it you’d be mistaken. I have this bridge you can buy. Looks a bit like a coat hanger.

I agree with checking the specs on the bottle though. The specs are in the handbook.

Sudoku
09-01-2020, 06:38 AM
Thanks mate. Will probably just top up with water and let dealer take care in upcoming service.

Dose Pipe Sutututu
09-01-2020, 06:40 AM
I would only top up with distilled water or use the appropriate pre mixed G13 coolant.

Avoid tap water, I had the same issue twice before my 1st service. Now the car is at 21k kms and it seems to have slowed down losing coolant, unless they replaced the expansion tank lid last time the car was in for service without telling me lol.

IsDon
09-01-2020, 07:09 AM
Fill your radiator with harp seal tears.

Only use mermaid sweat in your washer reservoir.

And only ever use unicorn farts in your tyres.

Simonr23
09-01-2020, 07:30 AM
I know you mean well and likely- for many cars, things won’t be an issue whether is water from some third-world place, or gods own bath water.

BUT, as end-users we’re supposed to follow manufacturer recommendations/industry best practices.

The calcium is only one trace element in the water and any one of these is enough- over time, to form deposits on various parts within the vehicle cooling system. Not what’s wanted when cars today aren’t fixed, but ‘$10000+ engine swap is the only thing a mechanic will do, when something isn’t easy to fix.

Transporter
09-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Fill your radiator with harp seal tears.

Only use mermaid sweat in your washer reservoir.

And only ever use unicorn farts in your tyres.

Haha, very funny!

Though, the one should only use demineralised or distilled water in the car cooling systems. The tap water is aBig NO,NO.

Every decent coolant manufacturer recommends using demineralised or distilled water when mixing concentrates.

smarty
17-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Ok so 54k kms coolant light is back on and coolant well below low.
Once again ‘just top it up’ didn’t sit with me, I said it shouldn’t need topping up, coolant shouldn’t just disappear unless there is a leak somewhere or it’s burning it. Panel shop pressure tested it while they had it for me and it’s shown a leak somewhere. Back to VW today to be looked at. I’m hoping it’s not the water pump housing/seal again gone again surely.

Transporter
17-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Ok so 54k kms coolant light is back on and coolant well below low.
Once again ‘just top it up’ didn’t sit with me, I said it shouldn’t need topping up, coolant shouldn’t just disappear unless there is a leak somewhere or it’s burning it. Panel shop pressure tested it while they had it for me and it’s shown a leak somewhere. Back to VW today to be looked at. I’m hoping it’s not the water pump housing/seal again gone again surely.

Time for a new water pump again.

smarty
17-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Apparently not they just rang to say they can’t find a leak
The pressure test hasn’t failed either hot or cold and the water pump is dry.
Strange

Simonr23
17-07-2020, 06:05 PM
Might be worth your while buying a tester and seeing for yourself. Sometimes dealers/mechanics tell porky pies...

Dose Pipe Sutututu
23-07-2020, 11:05 AM
At the 29xxx km service, VW dealer confirmed thermostat housing cracked and failed LOL...

Have had the entire lot replaced, at the same time they found out my car is tuned too, refer to "Recommendations" :D

Dose Pipe Sutututu
23-07-2020, 11:06 AM
Apparently not they just rang to say they can’t find a leak
The pressure test hasn’t failed either hot or cold and the water pump is dry.
Strange

Took them 3x attempts to finally admit there was a fault. Yet the previous times they said nothing was wrong, however you could always smell coolant in the engine bay.

smarty
02-06-2021, 11:45 AM
car back to fix a gearbox leak (which VW have said is a gearbox sump plug this time, but was a breather last time *shrugs*) but they noticed that there is a coolant leak (that I told them about at the 54k mark) so needs a new water pump
this is the second water pump failure now. Car is officially at the 70k mark

notaGolfR
02-06-2021, 03:51 PM
Distilled & de-mineralised water contains dissolved air. The oxygen is corrosive. The gasses will boil out causing slight wear at hot-spots. If keen/anal you can boil the water in a stainless steel vessel for a while to drive out the air, then cover and let cool before adding to your vehicle.