PDA

View Full Version : CarPlay Issues

dgzk
27-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Hi,

I have my 140 TDI Highline for 2 months now. First VW and first diesel.

Love the car, getting used to the diesel and the slight lag but love the car.

I have a question with Carplay.

The time it takes to connect and actually start up working can take minutes and I also need to unlock my phone to get it to work even though I have option checked allow carplay on lock screen?

The delay is frustrating as it is there after making a call etc.

I have Iphone 6S with a optus so I get Spotify and I hear radio data free so would like to use them more.

spacemannz
27-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Hi,

The time it takes to connect and actually start up working can take minutes and I also need to unlock my phone to get it to work even though I have option checked allow carplay on lock screen?

I have Iphone 6S with a optus so I get Spotify and I hear radio data free so would like to use them more.

Same phone, same Discovery Pro Infotainment.
Have noted it is sometimes slow to start but haven’t had to unlock the phone since the first time.
IOS 10 and 11.
Have noted Siri is completely daft, taking totally unpredictable actions... giving nav instructions to the VW voice control works better. Might be my dodgy kiwi accent 😂
Your issue could lie with either unit... Apple will tell you to restore your phone to factory settings... a pain in the ass but worth considering as a last resort.
I also THINK I accidentally did a factory reset on my infotainment while playing around on day one. I held down the power or mute button and it restarted with all my settings missing. It was day one so I can’t be sure it wasn’t something else.

Incidentally, I wonder if Spotify will stream through Bluetooth with track skipping etc... Apple Radio does.

theresanothersteve
27-09-2017, 08:32 AM
...Incidentally, I wonder if Spotify will stream through Bluetooth with track skipping etc... Apple Radio does.

With the Jetta (not Discovery pro, RNS510) spotify will stream over bluetooth...

Coxie
27-09-2017, 11:32 AM
I've noticed spotify is a little hit and miss loading with carplay, i'm attempting to move over to Apple Music as it seems to be more reliable. I'm on an iPhone 7 with iOS 11

Hugo_nz
28-09-2017, 12:18 PM
On my Tig with Discover Media Nav the Carplay sometimes just stops working. No sound, no steering controls, nothing. I have to reset the entire system (power button trick) before it works again.

On the bluetooth side Spotify seems to be a bit buggy. The track IDs start lagging after the first song...ie the track changes, but the display does not.

Jap
28-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Have you tried resetting CarPlay on the head unit?

TheTig
29-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Have found the lightning cable used also affects how quick the system starts up. Had a short silicon covered cable which looked good and meant the cable stayed in the front console but was getting annoyed at how it would sometimes not pickup the phone.

Changed the cable and it kicks in much quicker now, seems more reliable as well. Haven't had any car play problems so far...

Gashde
03-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Have found the lightning cable used also affects how quick the system starts up. Had a short silicon covered cable which looked good and meant the cable stayed in the front console but was getting annoyed at how it would sometimes not pickup the phone.

Changed the cable and it kicks in much quicker now, seems more reliable as well. Haven't had any car play problems so far...

You're right, cable quality definitely affects the speed here in Carplay. I tried using one of my longer cables previously, Carlink start up normal, but the whole system completely lags, music stop & go as if I'm streaming through dial-up.

I've noticed recently that the sound quality produced through Carplay doesn't seem as great as playing through Bluetooth. It lacks a lot bass and changing EQ on both iPhone & car settings doesn't help at all. I'm running on standard speakers, no Dynaudio add-on.

DoggiesUtd
05-10-2017, 10:01 AM
ive tried mucking around with android auto but it keeps disconnecting every 2 seconds, no idea why?

is it possible to watch video through your fone onto car screen?

sharp
09-10-2017, 06:24 PM
ive tried mucking around with android auto but it keeps disconnecting every 2 seconds, no idea why?

is it possible to watch video through your fone onto car screen?

I think you can't watch anything when the car is moving.

Jap
09-10-2017, 06:43 PM
I think you can't watch anything when the car is moving.unless you enable VIM but that's illegal in most countries

spacemannz
10-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Hi,

Hi DGZK, did any of these suggestions resolve your issue?

dgzk
19-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Hi DGZK, did any of these suggestions resolve your issue?

Have reset the phone a couple of times now, have tried a genuine cable and no noticeable difference.

Not sure on how to reset carplay on the headunit?

It also frustrating when returning from a call how long the music takes to restart in car play. When on radio the restart is instant. On car play it can lag for a long time.?

dgzk
19-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Have you tried resetting CarPlay on the head unit?

Is there a procedure for this?