PDA

View Full Version : ABT Tune 213kW

sVWatt
23-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Anyone added a stage I to their Tig?
Had a mate who added the ABT harness to his S3, and had fun results.
Wondered if anyone had treated themselves for their Tig...

ABT Sportsline car configurator (http://www.abt-configurator.com/en/VW/Tiguan/SUV/5NA0/20TSI220)

tigger73
23-09-2017, 08:02 PM
This isn't stage 1 tune - it's a tuning box. If I was to get a tuning box I'd be going with a JB4 - lots of people runnig these on MQB platform cars here on the forum.

A proper stage 1 tune on a 162TSI will take it up to ~235kw.

NZ_GolfR
23-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Am I seeing the price correctly..... 2.290,00 € :eek:

ABT Sportsline Onlineshop | ABT - LEISTUNGSSTEIGERUNG | online kaufen (https://www.abt-shop.de/Motortechnik/ABT-LEISTUNGSSTEIGERUNG-oxid-759.html)

For a fraction of that price I would much rather get a proper ECU stage 1 tune or go with a JB4.

sVWatt
23-09-2017, 11:09 PM
So a JB4 box will give 200kW without any other mods. Certainly looks good value.
BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26382)

popeye
25-09-2017, 12:05 PM
This isn't stage 1 tune - it's a tuning box. If I was to get a tuning box I'd be going with a JB4 - lots of people runnig these on MQB platform cars here on the forum.

A proper stage 1 tune on a 162TSI will take it up to ~235kw.What is a proper stage 1 tune and what would one expect to pay?
Any reputable tuner shops in Melbourne?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

essy670
25-09-2017, 12:28 PM
What is a proper stage 1 tune and what would one expect to pay?
Any reputable tuner shops in Melbourne?

+1

| Tiguan 162tsi r-line | DAP | moon roof | tuscan silver |

tigger73
25-09-2017, 12:44 PM
By "proper" I mean an ECU flash tune as opposed to a tuning box which changes the signals being sent to the ECU running the stock software.

There's a few options if you're in Melbourne - RD Technik, APR, Revo, E-tuners and probably a few more all have dealers there.

Cost will probably vary a little between brands/workshops but I'd budget on $1000-$1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popeye
25-09-2017, 12:49 PM
By "proper" I mean an ECU flash tune as opposed to a tuning box which changes the signals being sent to the ECU running the stock software.

There's a few options if you're in Melbourne - RD Technik, APR, Revo, E-tuners and probably a few more all have dealers there.

Cost will probably vary a little between brands/workshops but I'd budget on $1000-$1500.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSo im i reading this right ?
70 odd kw with a tune,and no hardware for 1500 bucks ?

230kw for a tigg puts it right past a stock R for next to nothing

spacemannz
25-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Wouldn’t it be neat if VW would offer different tunes/mapping’s as a paid upgrade! Tesla do it.
They would likely charge a premium to mitigate any warranty issues, but I’m sure some would pay - some of the aftermarket products cost an appreciable percentage of the vehicle purchase price.

tigger73
25-09-2017, 01:48 PM
So im i reading this right ?
70 odd kw with a tune,and no hardware for 1500 bucks ?

230kw for a tigg puts it right past a stock R for next to nothing

Correct. But if the Golf R tunes his he's up to 270kwaw....

Yes bang for buck a stage 1 tune is great value.

popeye
25-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Correct. But if the Golf R tunes his he's up to 270kwaw....

Yes bang for buck a stage 1 tune is great value.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah it sure is

GeeMoney
26-09-2017, 02:50 AM
I Would have my doubts on pushing another 70kw from the engine without any hardware changes. The clutch, turbo and stuff are definitely not prepared for that extra load just by a software change.
I contacted a very decent Dutch tuner and they can pull out around 35-40kw with a proper engine specific ECU stage2 tune.

And I think that also is the case because in The Netherlands they dont sell the 180bhp diesel but it's downtuned to 150bhp.(due to emission and laws)

NZ_GolfR
26-09-2017, 05:15 AM
I Would have my doubts on pushing another 70kw from the engine without any hardware changes. The clutch, turbo and stuff are definitely not prepared for that extra load just by a software change.
I contacted a very decent Dutch tuner and they can pull out around 35-40kw with a proper engine specific ECU stage2 tune.

And I think that also is the case because in The Netherlands they dont sell the 180bhp diesel but it's downtuned to 150bhp.(due to emission and laws)

No, they are talking about the 162kw (220ps) TSI engine which is the same engine and turbo as what is in the Golf GTI which can easily handle an extra 70kw without any hardware changes.

The gear box in the Tiguan (the DQ500) is also much stronger than what is in the Golf and can handle much more power without any issues with clutch slipping like what the Golf can get.

Sanman
27-09-2017, 12:19 PM
How is the Series 2 Tiguan 162kW engine different from the Series 2 Tiguan 132kW engine?
In the first series Tiguan, I thought the 132kW engine was a detuned version of the 155kW engine which was used on the then-Golf V GTi?

tigger73
27-09-2017, 01:50 PM
How is the Series 2 Tiguan 162kW engine different from the Series 2 Tiguan 132kW engine?
In the first series Tiguan, I thought the 132kW engine was a detuned version of the 155kW engine which was used on the then-Golf V GTi?

First gen the 125/132TSI was a detuned version of the 147/155TSI.

Second gen they've worked out that people were buying the cheaper car and tuning it. So the 132TSI in the gen2 is a different engine to the 162TSI - compression ratio is significantly different betwen the 2. So it's no longer just software.

theresanothersteve
28-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Yep, the 132 has a fair bit more compression than the 162. Suggests the 162 gets more fuel rammed in by the turbo, so it's probably a different turbo or a software tweak...

sVWatt
28-09-2017, 09:20 AM
The Tig T2 TSI is running the Gen 3 EA888. The very latest B-Cycle variant.

The Tiguan was the first to receive the B-Cycle version:

Volkswagen’s new ‘B-Cycle’ engine: potential diesel surrogate - SAE International (http://articles.sae.org/15470/)

NZ_GolfR
28-09-2017, 12:59 PM
The Tig T2 TSI is running the Gen 3 EA888. The very latest B-Cycle variant.

The Tiguan was the first to receive the B-Cycle version:

Volkswagen’s new ‘B-Cycle’ engine: potential diesel surrogate - SAE International (http://articles.sae.org/15470/)

I don’t think that is the engine in the Tiguan currently available here, I think you will find that is for the larger 7 seater Tiguan that the US market will get. The HP on the engine is only rated at 200HP (the 162TSI is 220HP) and it says it will come with 8 speed gearbox not the 7 Speed DSG we get.

sVWatt
28-09-2017, 01:12 PM
I don’t think that is the engine in the Tiguan currently available here, I think you will find that is for the larger 7 seater Tiguan that the US market will get. The HP on the engine is only rated at 200HP (the 162TSI is 220HP) and it says it will come with 8 speed gearbox not the 7 Speed DSG we get.

Well spotted - I thought it was a worldwide article :)

tigger73
28-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Actually I believe this is the engine in the 132TSI as the article states it has 11.7 compression ratio which matches up with the 132TSI specs.

The only difference is that the US based cars will get the 8 speed auto and not DSG.

NZ_GolfR
28-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Actually I believe this is the engine in the 132TSI as the article states it has 11.7 compression ratio which matches up with the 132TSI specs.

The only difference is that the US based cars will get the 8 speed auto and not DSG.

Hard to tell as the power and torque they specify in that article (184hp and 300Nm) is different to the 132TSI (177hp and 320Nm) we get. Possibly a different model engine again for the US market especially is this model is going to be built in Mexico.

tigger73
28-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Hard to tell as the power and torque they specify in that article (184hp and 300Nm) is different to the 132TSI (177hp and 320Nm) we get. Possibly a different model engine again for the US market especially is this model is going to be built in Mexico.

Yes the article is all about what is happening in the US, however I beleive it's the same engine as what we're getting here in 132TSI guise. We are a "hot weather" climate so often get our cars derated compared to outputs in US/Europe.

ABT 162TSI MK2 Tiguan
19-10-2017, 09:27 AM

A proper stage 1 tune on a 162TSI will take it up to ~235kw.

My friend has a 132TSI, so would he be able to tune his to 162 or higher???

tigger73
19-10-2017, 12:24 PM
My friend has a 132TSI, so would he be able to tune his to 162 or higher???

The 132TSI in the 2nd gen Tiguan is completely new motor / higher compression ratio to any of the other 2.0 litre petrol engines. I don't know if there is any tuner out there with a solution for this engine at the moment.

It's completely different to the 132TSI in the first gen Tiguan - even though it has exactly the same power output and model designation, it's completely different engine model number.

I haven't seen anyone quoting performance figures for this engine. I believe it's only being run in the mid-spec Tiguan at the moment.

Brum_brum
29-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Has anyone looked at tuning their my18 Tiguan 162tsi and if so, what did you find/do?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tigger73
29-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Everyone is waiting for someone else to be the first and report back.... :rolllaugh:

Brum_brum
29-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Everyone is waiting for someone else to be the first and report back.... :rolllaugh:I imagine anything you do will void warranty?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tigger73
29-10-2017, 08:58 PM
I imagine anything you do will void warranty?

Short answer yes.

If you modify your car the part that is modified (or effected by the modification) is not covered by manufacturer warranty but would be covered by whatever warranty the aftermarket part/tuning company has.

Ozsko
29-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Wouldn’t it be neat if VW would offer different tunes/mapping’s as a paid upgrade! Tesla do it.
They would likely charge a premium to mitigate any warranty issues, but I’m sure some would pay - some of the aftermarket products cost an appreciable percentage of the vehicle purchase price.

ADR's may be an issue? I am only guessing though but each tune would require emission and fuel consumption testing and god knows what else but I bet there is more.

spacemannz
29-10-2017, 09:16 PM
ADR's may be an issue? I am only guessing though but each tune would require emission and fuel consumption testing and god knows what else but I bet there is more.

True. VW 'Hot Climate' policy as well :-(

tigger73
30-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Yes there's always an element of risk associated with tuning your car. That is why if you're going to do it choose someone that has back-up/support if anything should ever go wrong.

Second thing I'd say for all the 162TSI guys is that your engine has been out in the Mk7 Golf GTI and Gen3 Skoda Octavia RS for quite a few years now already. The only major issue I'm aware of in the MQB platform engines was in the early Golf R/S3 206kW version which was killing turbos. However there's a revised part now that seems to be a lot more reliable and it's not the same engine in the Tiguan anyway (I know we are all wishing there was a Tiguan R).

There's quite a few Mk7 Golf GTI's running tunes without issues. If I had a new Tiguan I'd be waiting for 5,000-10,000km then getting a service with full check over to make sure there's no warranty issues (leaks, etc) then roll the dice and go for it. But yes there is an element of risk that you do have to take on when you do it. As the saying goes gotta pay to play.

ewok666
08-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Second thing I'd say for all the 162TSI guys is that your engine has been out in the Mk7 Golf GTI and Gen3 Skoda Octavia RS for quite a few years now already. The only major issue I'm aware of in the MQB platform engines was in the early Golf R/S3 206kW version which was killing turbos. However there's a revised part now that seems to be a lot more reliable and it's not the same engine in the Tiguan anyway (I know we are all wishing there was a Tiguan R).

It's my understanding that the GTI engine and the R engine are mostly the same except for the turbo. I'm also pretty sure that APR offers the IS38 turbo upgrade which pretty much makes it an R engine. There may be subtle differences like fueling etc but teh max power is quoted as 272kw/520Nm for R and 267kw/510Nm for the GTI with IS38 upgrade. The IS38 upgrade is not listed on the Tiguan page so it may not be available, yet or ever. That said, peak torque is pretty much the same with or without teh IS38, the GTI turbo can't can't hold it as high as the R.

I'm planning to drive our Tiguan for 10,000km and then it will no doubt get the tune. The difference on the R/S3 is very real and the Tiguan should be heaps better than the GTI as that's FWD only.