PDA

View Full Version : New Tiguan with wind noise drivers window - any others?

Tiguan2017
20-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Hi all, I recently purchased a new Tiguan and since purchase we have had problems with excessive wind noise coming into the cabin around the drivers window frame.

It has been back to the dealer twice and they have replaced seals and re-aligned the door but it has not made any difference. The car is very noisy above 80 km/h and if it's a windy day, the noise is very very loud. The dealer has now advised that there is no problem with the car and that this noise is in the same in all Tiguan's. Today they asked us to drive another Tiguan to demonstrate how that car has the same noise. We have outlined all of our concerns in writing and have contacted VW Australia who are now looking into it. Has anyone else experienced this please? We have told the dealer repeatedly that we would have never purchased this car if we had known about this issue and that it was not present in the demo we drove but they are insisting it is normal despite trying to fix it. Why they would try and fix it if they don't think there is an issue I don't know. :facepalm:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The car has now been sitting at the dealer for a week now and I have no idea when this is going to be resolved.

Paul RLine
20-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Hi all, I recently purchased a new Tiguan and since purchase we have had problems with excessive wind noise coming into the cabin around the drivers window frame.

It has been back to the dealer twice and they have replaced seals and re-aligned the door but it has not made any difference. The car is very noisy above 80 km/h and if it's a windy day, the noise is very very loud. The dealer has now advised that there is no problem with the car and that this noise is in the same in all Tiguan's. Today they asked us to drive another Tiguan to demonstrate how that car has the same noise. We have outlined all of our concerns in writing and have contacted VW Australia who are now looking into it. Has anyone else experienced this please? We have told the dealer repeatedly that we would have never purchased this car if we had known about this issue and that it was not present in the demo we drove but they are insisting it is normal despite trying to fix it. Why they would try and fix it if they don't think there is an issue I don't know. :facepalm:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The car has now been sitting at the dealer for a week now and I have no idea when this is going to be resolved.

My Tiguan doesn't have any wind noise. Where does it sound like it's coming from? Is it the mirror area or higher up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiguan2017
20-09-2017, 07:52 PM
My Tiguan doesn't have any wind noise. Where does it sound like it's coming from? Is it the mirror area or higher up?

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply. It is higher up on the door/window frame in line with the driver's head, eg close to my ears :mad:

Paul RLine
20-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Hi Paul, thanks for your reply. It is higher up on the door/window frame in line with the driver's head, eg close to my ears :mad:

Maybe put some masking tape over the area of the window and rubber seal. Sucks you have to diagnose it for them though.

Tiguan2017
20-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Thanks Paul. They agreed today that they can hear the problem but say that it is normal for a Tiguan.

numnut
20-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Thanks Paul. They agreed today that they can hear the problem but say that it is normal for a Tiguan.

That's strange, i don't have that issue. Is it when you have the window open or closed? all the time?

I only have the annoying flapping noise when i have the two back windows opened (as i don't like the wind in my face)

Tiguan2017
20-09-2017, 08:33 PM
That's strange, i don't have that issue. Is it when you have the window open or closed? all the time?

I only have the annoying flapping noise when i have the two back windows opened (as i don't like the wind in my face)

It is only when the window is closed. It is probably best described as the noise you hear when the window is not totally closed but very close. So I am constantly thinking I haven't put the window all the way up and go to close it and it is already up. Many thanks.

sharp
20-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Maybe your window doesn't go all the way up and leaves a couple of mm gap? This is definitely not a common issue. Don't let them palm you off like that.

REGS12
20-09-2017, 10:39 PM

I agree that the car should not be noisy. Our Highline is very well sealed , with virtually no wind noise. When it is very windy outside we sometimes get a little, which is common to any vehicle. Hard to understand why yours should have wind noise.

spacemannz
21-09-2017, 10:48 AM
I agree that the car should not be noisy. Our Highline is very well sealed , with virtually no wind noise. When it is very windy outside we sometimes get a little, which is common to any vehicle. Hard to understand why yours should have wind noise.

I think I saw in the manual that you sometimes need to reset the stops for auto close after battery power loss. Perhaps the factory or dealer didn’t set them correctly and the window is closing a little short?

tigger73
21-09-2017, 11:00 AM
There was a similar issue with Mk6 Golfs. Fix was fitting a piece of tubing under the door seal. But yes very annoying.

Seoska
21-09-2017, 01:02 PM
I have experienced the same issue on a recent test drive of a 132tsi comfortline. As OP said its almost like the window hasn't closed all the way, no matter how many times I rolled the window down and closed it again there was a constant wind noise/high pitch whistle. Pulled over to try and push the window up with my hands to see if that helped. Made no difference. The noise was coming from up high close to my ear. Wasn't a windy day either. This was the reason I didn't buy. Dealer pretended like they couldn't hear it so i knew i would have issues with them fixing it.

Tiguan2017
22-09-2017, 02:41 PM
I have experienced the same issue on a recent test drive of a 132tsi comfortline. As OP said its almost like the window hasn't closed all the way, no matter how many times I rolled the window down and closed it again there was a constant wind noise/high pitch whistle. Pulled over to try and push the window up with my hands to see if that helped. Made no difference. The noise was coming from up high close to my ear. Wasn't a windy day either. This was the reason I didn't buy. Dealer pretended like they couldn't hear it so i knew i would have issues with them fixing it.

Thank you so much for your replies everyone. VW Australia finally got back to me today and wow, I spoke to the rudest and most aggressive person ever who just said, there is nothing wrong with your car at all, this is how they are and we will not be doing anything further. I don't think I've ever had such terrible experience from ANY company. That was the first contact after four emails to them and that is their response.

I don't know what to do from here. I wish I could go back three months and never buy this car.

sVWatt
22-09-2017, 03:27 PM
Where too...
If it were me, and the noise was genuinely different, I’d record the sound in decibels and then ‘test drive’ a dealer one and record that one.
Have someone sit behind you with this...
Decibel 10: Audio Sound Level (SPL) in dB, dBA by SkyPaw Co. Ltd
Decibel 10: Audio Sound Level (SPL) in dB, dBA on the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/decibel-10-audio-sound-level-spl-in-db-dba/id448155923?mt=8)

Record both cars in the exact same location, and you either have evidence of a difference or you don’t.
If there is a difference give the general manager of the dealership first option to see/hear the dB difference.

sharp
22-09-2017, 03:44 PM
I don't know what to do from here.

I'd say don't waste anymore time with VW Australia. Have a read this and contact your local consumer protection agency (on page 23).

https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Motor%20vehicle%20sales%20%26%20repairs%20-%20an%20industry%20guide%20to%20the%20Austalian%20 Consumer%20Law.pdf

Then let VW Australia Facebook page know what happened and that you opened up a case with the Fair Trading.

(If I were you I would get the car replaced. They can't just get away with a repair after what they put you through. Tell the Fair Trading Agent that you want an exchange and he/she will convey this message to VW Australia)

dmnz
23-09-2017, 04:53 PM
There was a similar issue with Mk6 Golfs. Fix was fitting a piece of tubing under the door seal. But yes very annoying.

Tigger, are you able to elaborate on this a little further?

I have this problem too and am super keen to fix.

tigger73
23-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Just do a google search for Mk6 Golf wind noise fix. Plenty of info out there.

Get some 1/4" tubing and place it behind the seal:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/ff62de6a03da6b9148b11d5cf48710b2-1.jpg

dmnz
24-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Brilliant, thanks!!

ldeeshep1332
14-11-2018, 11:25 AM
This exact same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. the one i test drove was fine and the one they gave me as a loaner until mine came up from houston didn't make wind noise. Then the same day i get in my car, i tell them something is wrong. they tested all the seals and didnt find anything wrong. Have you found any solutions? It makes me so mental!

ldeeshep1332
14-11-2018, 11:33 AM
This exact same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. the one i test drove was fine and the one they gave me as a loaner until mine came up from houston didn't make wind noise. Then the same day i get in my car, i tell them something is wrong. they tested all the seals and didnt find anything wrong. Have you found any solutions? It makes me so mental!

Hillbilly
14-11-2018, 01:04 PM
My Passat has done it from day one Have tried the tubing fix without success Mine has shields on the windows and I reckon its that . Only does it noticeably when wind is in a certain direction in relation to the car.
I dont worry about it any more

vdubbed12
20-06-2020, 10:34 AM
It is only when the window is closed. It is probably best described as the noise you hear when the window is not totally closed but very close. So I am constantly thinking I haven't put the window all the way up and go to close it and it is already up. Many thanks.

This is very similar to what I’ve been hearing except thar I didn’t initially think it was the wind noise but like air conditioning is on or recirculation vents are open - the noise is there regardless but especially when I accelerate. I don’t know if it’s related but on UK Tiguan forum someone mentioned it sounds like sucking up the remains of a drink through a straw and I think that’s very close to what I’m hearing. Mine’s not overly noticeable if I’ve got my 2 kids in the backseats.

Hillbilly
21-06-2020, 09:26 PM
Did 236km in 2hrs 45 min today in my TIG and not a sound from windows My seal is similar. Looking at them its probably like that because of the 1/4 window which has a different seal to the opening window and probably cant be made as one piece for both

Simonr23
22-06-2020, 07:42 AM
The only wind noise I get is when there are strong side-winds (From the left) and the door kind of gets sucked open along the top edge- same as any car I’ve driven.

vdubbed12
22-06-2020, 09:47 AM
Did 236km in 2hrs 45 min today in my TIG and not a sound from windows My seal is similar. Looking at them its probably like that because of the 1/4 window which has a different seal to the opening window and probably cant be made as one piece for both

Yep I can now confirm it doesn’t sound like the wind noise. I’ll have to drive it a bit more to describe better. It’s not overly noticeable but can hear it most of the time in the background. I think the seals are fine inside and outside. Probably only the one in driver side hasn’t been put together properly after tinting.

vdubbed12
22-06-2020, 09:51 AM
The only wind noise I get is when there are strong side-winds (From the left) and the door kind of gets sucked open along the top edge- same as any car I’ve driven.

Yeah the wind noise was a bit louder in test drive than some of the other cars I’ve driven recently so I thought the noise I was hearing in my new car was wind noise.

Hillbilly
22-06-2020, 10:01 AM
Yeah the wind noise was a bit louder in test drive than some of the other cars I’ve driven recently so I thought the noise I was hearing in my new car was wind noise.

I would doubt they would take the top seal out when tinting windows. Had my Landcruiser done and no seals were touched

vdubbed12
22-06-2020, 11:36 AM
I would doubt they would take the top seal out when tinting windows. Had my Landcruiser done and no seals were touched

I see, I just assumed it might have been in the way. Maybe that was just one of those things. No biggie,
I just pushed it back in and it’s all good.

iDiesel
23-06-2020, 11:23 PM
Another one with no issues on my end.
Have driven from Sydney to Brisbane a few times, and the only time the noise is intrusive is tyre roar on coarse chip roads.
I get annoyed by the smallest faintest of rattles, so any loud 'wind' noises would drive me insane!

As a suggestion, maybe try driving with the mirrors folded in and see if that makes it worse or better.
The other thing is to maybe check your roof rails and make sure there's nothing looking like it's out of alignment

vdubbed12
24-06-2020, 04:06 PM
Another one with no issues on my end.
Have driven from Sydney to Brisbane a few times, and the only time the noise is intrusive is tyre roar on coarse chip roads.
I get annoyed by the smallest faintest of rattles, so any loud 'wind' noises would drive me insane!

As a suggestion, maybe try driving with the mirrors folded in and see if that makes it worse or better.
The other thing is to maybe check your roof rails and make sure there's nothing looking like it's out of alignment

Thanks for the heads up, I haven’t driven the car long enough to describe better but it sounded like mechanical/operational noises whenever I stepped on the accelerator. It wasn’t intrusive but certainly noticeable in the background when quiet - dealer tells me it may be the humming noise that 4 Motion makes. My first 4 Motion VAG car so I’m still learning different behaviours of the car.

iDiesel
26-06-2020, 09:57 PM
Ok, the 4 motion does make some noises, but I only notice it on hard acceleration when it’s pushing more torque to the rear and when turn hard lock (or near lock) when pulling out of the driveway. My first (new and modern) VAG car and had me a bit concerned something was loose, but seems pretty normal.

There’s a thread on it here somewhere

edit
https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/rear-tyres-scrubbing-haldex-engaging-first-gear-124559.html#post1275709

vdubbed12
27-06-2020, 04:56 PM
Ok, the 4 motion does make some noises, but I only notice it on hard acceleration when it’s pushing more torque to the rear and when turn hard lock (or near lock) when pulling out of the driveway. My first (new and modern) VAG car and had me a bit concerned something was loose, but seems pretty normal.

There’s a thread on it here somewhere

edit
https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/rear-tyres-scrubbing-haldex-engaging-first-gear-124559.html#post1275709

Thanks for the heads up. I had a look at that thread and it’s something else that I actually noticed only last night when slowing down and turning into my street with a 90 degree turn. It makes that scrubbing type of noise almost like creaking noise that I used to hear in my MK6 GTI on a wet day. It’s immediately followed by this other noise on light to medium acceleration up to about 2000rpm which I feel now sounds like muffled grating noise. Maybe that’s what Simonr23 is describing on pg 4.I might go down to a dealership and have a drive of demo cars.

Toe Rag
27-06-2020, 09:00 PM
My Tig has a fair amount of wind noise at 100km/hr, but I assume that’s caused by the roof racks and bike carrier (all VW genuine)??? I should take it all off and see what difference it makes.

It doesn’t really bother me as most of my day to day driving is 60km/hr or less and whenever I’m on road trip out of the city I usually have loud music cranking.