PDA

View Full Version : Washer Fluids

Gashde
14-09-2017, 12:19 PM
So just 6 months & 6~7000km into my Tiguan now, I started receiving the "Low Washer Fluid" warning on Monday, which is much quicker then I had anticipated as with my previous car took nearly 2 years for the washer fluid to be used up. Maybe I've been using it a lot recently since a lot of dirt has been covering my car during work, or I question if the dealer even topped the fluids up when I picked the car up after 1000km service.. but all that aside,

What brand does the VW group use for washer fluid? or anyone has good recommendations?

I'm currently looking into this as its selling for a cheap price here
Bluecol 3in1 Summer | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/65286/bluecol-3in1-summer)

Umai Naa!!
14-09-2017, 12:26 PM
VW have their own genuine fluid.

I just buy the no-name stuff in bulk from Supercheap. Does the job just fine.

smarty
14-09-2017, 12:50 PM
I used the genuine stuff when mine did the same thing at about 7,000kms - just dropped into the local vw service and picked up a bottle which you dilute. Think it was $10 or something for the 1litre bottle.

The_Hawk
14-09-2017, 01:20 PM
The Genuine stuff gets diluted 1:4, so you get 5L out of one bottle. I actually have a designated 5L bottle (plastic fuel container with a spout) that I use to mix it up then top up both cars as needed.

For the Cabriolet it's probably less important since the lines only have to run to the front windscreen but for the Multivan they run all the way to the back so I always ran the genuine stuff to ensure if it ever gummed up/broke it would be warranty vs any discussion over the fluid.... but then I sort of just stayed in that habit even after warranty and still use it... I like it. It smells nice :P

GeorgeMK1
14-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Genuine retails around $5, as long as you dilute it as mentioned above :)

smarty
14-09-2017, 01:42 PM
thats also a reason i used the genuine stuff - to avoid an argument if i ever got a blocked nozzle/line

Lindsay
14-09-2017, 01:47 PM
I usually need to refill the washer bottle weekly! Lol
That said I have noticed that the headlamp washers use up a lot of fluid. Our old X5 had the biggest washer bottle I've ever seen and it would last a few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The_Hawk
14-09-2017, 03:15 PM
It's a bit of a shame they don't sell it in larger bottles. I used to just ask for a few every time I had the card serviced (when it was under a lease) so the costs would disappear into the servicing costs. I was building up a little stock pile which has seen me through the last couple of years post lease, although I'm down to my last couple of bottles at the moment.

IsDon
14-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Do you guys put VW air in the tyres too?

One born every minute.

GeorgeMK1
14-09-2017, 03:55 PM
It's a bit of a shame they don't sell it in larger bottles.

Hey Hawk, I went and got a bottle off the shelf to read the instructions and it says its a concentrate of 1:100, the bottle being a 250ml.

Also, it has a little reservoir at the top of the bottle, that's used as a measuring device. So one small dose, will make up the entire fill container! So not sure why folks are running out so quick, perhaps it is being mixed incorrectly? I fill mine up once every few months and don't have any issues, however admittedly I don't have headlamp washers

Part# for reference is G 055 184 A1

popeye
14-09-2017, 07:15 PM
I have always used water
Just plain old water [emoji13]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

kacak
14-09-2017, 07:56 PM
I have always used water
Just plain old water [emoji13]

Me too - I thought I read the manual carefully and concluded there was nothing wrong with plain old h20. Is my car going to fall apart?

Umai Naa!!
14-09-2017, 08:23 PM
You might get algae in the bottom of the washer bottle, which may block the pump and squirters.

The_Hawk
14-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Hey Hawk, I went and got a bottle off the shelf to read the instructions and it says its a concentrate of 1:100, the bottle being a 250ml.

Here is an old thread of mine with some images of the stuff I'm using. Doesn't sound like the same stuff. Do you ahve a picture of the bottle?

Source: Volkswagen Washer Fluid (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f136/volkswagen-washer-fluid-56281.html)

While most of it's rumor, there is some talk that if your washers lines ever clog up your warranty won't be covered unless your using the right fluids.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/washer_fluid-1.jpg

The Volkswagen washer fluid isn't exactly cheap at $10/L, but then I don't know that there are many parts that are. Since we seem to tear through the stuff I thought I would look a little closer at it. The text on the bottle says:

"Suitable for use all year round for the windscreen washing system. Offers the necessary protection against frost, stops the jets from freezing up, frees the windscreen from dirt and protects both paint and the wiper blades. Can be used in all models, must be used for fan-type jets."

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/fluid_mix-1.jpg

And one of the replies which talks about something different again!

Alternatively for around $9 ~ $10, you can buy a 1 litre bottle of summer concentrate (G 052 184 A2), which makes 11 litres of solution (1 part concentrate for 10 parts water).

Save the anti-freeze laden concentrate (G 052 164 M2) for when the ambient temperature drops below 0°C.

The_Hawk
14-09-2017, 08:37 PM
G055184 A1
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/imagephpdmJ3G2-1.jpg (http://www.vwwatercooled.com/images/?pm=J3G2)
Concentrated Screen Wash Summer 1: 100 Original VW Audi Seat Skoda Wischwasser (G055184 A1: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concentrated-Screen-Wash-Summer-100-Original-x/dp/B01L9R7U5A)

There is also this Russian page which shows a few other variants:
Летние концентраты VAG — бортжурнал Volkswagen Jetta 1,4 TSI 122 л/с+DSG7 2014 года на DRIVE2 (https://www.drive2.ru/l/7097240/)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/imagephpdiK2Z6-1.jpg

I'm at a dealer tomorrow so will try to remember to ask about these things :D

GeorgeMK1
15-09-2017, 09:30 AM
That's the one mate, its cheap enough and seems to last a fair while. All you do is fill up the top chamber, and use that to top the entire fill bottle (mixed with water of course).

NW3192
15-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Are you serious. Water does the trick and if you really feel the need some glass cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pzero
15-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Is the overuse on MY17 models because it's also got the front light washers?
I can't imagine why it'd be using much otherwise.

Gashde
15-09-2017, 10:55 AM
That's a lot of info there! I suppose I'll check in with dealer on their price per bottle here. But I guess a lot of washer fluids seems to be drained up by headlights, not sure why the settings is set to wash headlamp like once every 2nd time the window washer is pulled? :confused:

Thought about just adding water, but it just doesn't clear the glass as great, especially in cold conditions.

sharp
15-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Is the overuse on MY17 models because it's also got the front light washers?
I can't imagine why it'd be using much otherwise.

I never needed to top up my MY17 (162TSI) since It was delivered on 1 May. And, we use it quite frequently.

IsDon
15-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Try BarsBugs or something similar from the servo. Otherwise water is just fine.

I remember a similar discussion on the OzAudi forum not so long back. Some gullible fool thought that unless you used Audi genuine washer fluid you'd void the warranty.

Laughed so hard I nearly wet myself.

The_Hawk
15-09-2017, 05:33 PM
I was picking my car up at the dealership today and asked the question!

The guy said that they don't have the 1L bottles anymore and only use the summer stuff. He gave me a bottle that happened to be on his desk so I can see how it goes. But this is *the* stuff now apparently.

JustCruisn
15-09-2017, 10:20 PM
This works for me.
SCA Windscreen Wash Concentrate - 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Windscreen-Wash-Concentrate-1-Litre/224893)

I wash almost every journey, I absolutely must have a clean windscreen. I make up 5 litres at a time keep in garage and top up every week or 2 when checking oil.

Justice
20-09-2017, 12:24 AM
In the UK I buy the 5 litre 'Prestone' all seasons concentrated screen wash from Costco.

I have been using it for 10 years or so and have over the past 2 years began mixing different formulations of Screen wash, distilled water and Isopropanol Alcohol dependent on the season.

Generally I use the following mix ratios which may need adjusting for you guys in warmer climates

SUMMER SCREEN WASH
80% Dist Water
10% Isopropanol
10% Screen Wash

WINTER SCREEN WASH
60% Dist Water
20% Isopropanol
20% Screen Wash

The results are fantastic with no blocked water jets, no blade judder, a smear free screen and no frozen washer bottle!

The_Hawk
20-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Dist Water

Where do you get/make your distilled water? What does it cost you?

The_Hawk
20-09-2017, 05:35 PM
I should have added before. VW (at least Waverly VW did when I was there) have a deal where if you buy a set of wiper blades they give you bottle of free washer fluid! Worth considering if you're in need of blades.

It looked like a pretty corporate sign so I'd think it's a wider promotion.

Justice
20-09-2017, 10:29 PM

Distilled water is readily available in the UK at cheap prices. However, I have used cooled boiling tap water mixed with the ISO and screen wash which has given equally good results.

Try the 'summer' formulation and you will not be disappointed......the ISO is the key ingredient!

Diver3284
21-09-2017, 10:02 AM
DONT use household glass cleaner in your washer bottle unless you are going through a full bottle every couple of weeks. Apparently the ammonia compounds in the cleaner will either coagulate or precipitate out if left in the bottle for longer than about a month - something to do with temperature and/or agitation I have been told. The result is a snot-like goo which will clog the filters, lines and pump. It took 3 hours of labour to dismantle my wife's BMW 1 Series so they could clean and replace the filters. Look up YouTube snot in windscreen washers.

Clean water is OK by itself if you're cleaning dust or dirt from your 'screen, but on any highway or city streets the spray will be filthy with oil based products and needs something to cut through the grime. I use Einszett 1Z Kristallklar: A$13.99 for 250ml which is diluted 1:100,( so it's cheap) from CarCareProducts.com.au.

brad
22-09-2017, 08:43 AM

Get it from Coles. It's like $2/2L. In the Laundry aisle. Good for cooling systems too.

The_Hawk
22-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Distilled water is readily available in the UK at cheap prices.

Get it from Coles. It's like $2/2L. In the Laundry aisle.

The point I was going to make is that even at $10 for the stuff I have been using with tap water it doesn't get much cheaper if you have to pay for distilled water in order to mix up your own concoction.

Distilled water makes more sense in irons that are making steam since you want less residue to clog up the internals when boiling off the water into steam but in washer bottles you're just pumping liquid out of, plain old tap water should be just fine!

Gashde
28-09-2017, 01:12 PM
DONT use household glass cleaner in your washer bottle unless you are going through a full bottle every couple of weeks. Apparently the ammonia compounds in the cleaner will either coagulate or precipitate out if left in the bottle for longer than about a month - something to do with temperature and/or agitation I have been told. The result is a snot-like goo which will clog the filters, lines and pump. It took 3 hours of labour to dismantle my wife's BMW 1 Series so they could clean and replace the filters. Look up YouTube snot in windscreen washers.

Clean water is OK by itself if you're cleaning dust or dirt from your 'screen, but on any highway or city streets the spray will be filthy with oil based products and needs something to cut through the grime. I use Einszett 1Z Kristallklar: A$13.99 for 250ml which is diluted 1:100,( so it's cheap) from CarCareProducts.com.au.

Cheers on the insight! Guess you (or your wife) experienced it the hard way.
Finally got around to get my bottle of washer fluids these days, would be glad to remove that warning sign off my dash...

numnut
08-01-2018, 11:32 AM
The warning light has come on for me. I guess I use it too much because lately been parking outside and so much bird poo.....

I asked my local vw. They quoted me $13.20 for a 1l.

Should I buy this? Or should I just go to super cheap or even Kmart?

Gashde
08-01-2018, 12:42 PM
The warning light has come on for me. I guess I use it too much because lately been parking outside and so much bird poo.....

SCA windscreen concentrate 1L at Supercheap is $12.99 each , Kmart should be the same.
I'd say just go with the VW ones since there's not so much price difference.

The_Hawk
09-01-2018, 11:14 AM

That sounds like the stuff I was (and still am) using, 1L makes 5L and basically fills your washer bottle once. It works great, but is somewhat expensive. It's also designed for very low temps which we don't generally get in Australia. I've been using it for almost 8 years mostly because I didn't know there was an alternative so was getting a few bottles everytime the car when in for a service (under lease) and am only just running out now three years later.

The summer wash (also listed earlier in this thread) is what I'll be putting in next time it runs out. It's only 250ml but at 1:100 it should make up much much more. No idea what it actually costs ot how well it works in comparrison, but will update eventually.

portas1971
29-09-2018, 02:43 PM
What is the capacity of the wiper wash bottle on the Tiggy please anyone?

Flipper Dog
30-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Can't recommend the Einszett 1Z Kristallklar enough, one bottle has lasted me years - like may be 6 years on 2 x cars.
I make some up in a spray bottle and use it as a regular windscreen cleaner which does the job fantastically.
I had used the OEM Volkswagen stuff a while back but for value for money the Einszett 1Z Kristallklar beats it hand down.

JustCruisn
30-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Cost comparison of some of the products discussed in the tread so far

Product
Size (Litres)
Mix Rate
Total (Litres)
Cost
Cost / Litre

Bars Bugs conc
$33.99
$0.17

SCA Conc
$13.49
$0.27

Einszett 1Z Kristallklar
$13.99
$0.56

Invisible Glass conc
$11.49
$1.15

Rain X
$18.99
$1.27

VW
$10.00
$2.50

Invisible Glass RTU
$10.49
$2.78

This forum does not do tables very nicely.

Ozsko
30-09-2018, 11:22 PM
I first used Bars Bugs in the early 1970's and I have never seen it block washer jets yet. When the washers are used the first time after starting the headlight washers activate and if you hold the first press for a long time you continue to use excess water. I give the washers a very short hit, release and apply again to stop the headlight washers. I think the headlight washers operate every 4th time the washers are used if the vehicle is not restarted.

Gashde
01-10-2018, 12:34 PM
My washer fluid has gone low again lately, haven't been using the function as much as previously.
This time decided to switch up and try the Goodyear Windshield fluid, looks quite basic but very cheap, 1 cap to 2000ml Water, the washer fluid itself is 2500ml, hopefully this would last for sometime.

INASNT
01-10-2018, 02:24 PM
I just use old fashioned H2O

Gashde
02-10-2018, 03:57 PM
I just use old fashioned H2O

Ya that's what I'm using now after my fluids ran low, but it just doesn't clean the windshield as great somehow