PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Polo

The_Hawk
11-09-2017, 08:13 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/imagephpdiWG9Y-1.jpg

Information is starting to come out on the new Polo so it was time to start a new section. Discuss away!

https://www.motoring.com.au/volkswagen-polo-2018-review-108703/

Sharkie
12-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Looking forward to confirmed Aussie specs .... my daughter has been holding off buying her next car in anticipation of this arriving. Currently some really good run-out deals on the old models, but this new 1 looks awesome.

https://www.motoring.com.au/2018-volkswagen-polo-mk-6-full-details-107626/

Pretty much a done deal for us as she refuses to consider anything else :facepalm:

Next Polo GTI with 2.0T from the Golf GTI will be awesome and may just land up being my run-around.
https://www.motoring.com.au/next-vw-polo-gti-to-get-2-0-litre-turbo-106947/

nomodlowkmgti
16-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Looks fantastic cant wait for the gti im considering having a look as i dont need to take many passengers or luggage im currently driving a 2014 90tsi golf and would love the extra power and features and i dont want to spend as much as a golf gti or r

andrew7
18-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Looks really good IMO. What I'm most interested in is reports that the new Polo GTI comes with a 6 speed DSG (scrapping the dreaded DQ200). If these reports are correct it sounds like they've moved to a wet DSG unit (presumably the DQ250) which shoots the new GTI to the top of my list. Anyone read similar?

vw_alex
25-09-2017, 11:34 AM
I can't believe the lack of interest and threads about the new polo. The gti looks great and a tuners dream with the golf 2.0L...

check out these videos:
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO8h46AtkUk&t=143s)
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URFpbm2GnzE&t=92s)

DrWHO
03-10-2017, 01:06 PM
I've just returned from Germany. Was at the Frankfurt motor show and did a tour of Wolfsburg facility. The best info I could get is that lower spec Mk6 Polos will arrive in Australia next year from March but, the GTI won't get here until September/October 2018.

I sat front and back in a Beats version and there is more room, headroom especially (I'm 190cm) and it's quite comfy behind the wheel. The test will be driving a manual and left knee clearance...but there is a cm more room than the current version. I got driven round a couple of blocks circuit as a front seat passenger and found the car quieter than the current version...depends what tyres we get here.

Fingers crossed VW Australia don't do something dumb with the specs or pricing as my wife wants one and I might save some cash instead of getting a golf.

vw_alex
04-10-2017, 04:32 PM
I've just returned from Germany. Was at the Frankfurt motor show and did a tour of Wolfsburg facility. The best info I could get is that lower spec Mk6 Polos will arrive in Australia next year from March but, the GTI won't get here until September/October 2018.

I sat front and back in a Beats version and there is more room, headroom especially (I'm 190cm) and it's quite comfy behind the wheel. The test will be driving a manual and left knee clearance...but there is a cm more room than the current version. I got driven round a couple of blocks circuit as a front seat passenger and found the car quieter than the current version...depends what tyres we get here.

Fingers crossed VW Australia don't do something dumb with the specs or pricing as my wife wants one and I might save some cash instead of getting a golf.

SEPT 2018... WTF. Gutted.

mythik
19-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Drum rear brakes wtf vw. :(

Kachingg
19-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Drum rear brakes wtf vw. :(

Yup silly as it sounds that would be a deal breaker for me 2

Pfft drum brakes indeed.... (tho on the back in normal driving i know that it is virtually the same)

GLF
25-10-2017, 11:22 PM
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlKppE4s_F4)
a bit more info on the new GTI

Rooboy
27-10-2017, 06:22 AM
Interesting take away from that vid regarding drum brakes - cars with less than 95hp (71Kw) engines get rear drum brakes but cars with more power get rear discs and the DSG option.

Sharkie
27-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Pretty sure all Aus Polos will have discs allround ....

At this stage we are looking at getting 2, 1 x 85kw Comfortline manual and 1 x GTI manual .

No rush and will probably wait till June 18

GTI_DownUnder
29-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Thanks for posting the link. Not enough changes/ improvements for me to consider swapping over from a current 2017 GTI manual,.
If I needed a DSG, the new Six speed 'Wet' DSG would however be a big big plus.

Looking forward to the Road Test.

DUBBIN
31-10-2017, 08:00 PM
So sad to see the Polo regress with drum brakes. It's a no for me dawg

Sharkie
07-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Thanks for posting the link. Not enough changes/ improvements for me to consider swapping over from a current 2017 GTI manual,.

New platform (MQB), new body, new interior, new engines .... better in every conceivable aspect

Not sure what you classify as not enough change ... :P

GTI_DownUnder
09-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Hi Sharkie
There is little doubt that the new model has been improved in several area's.
However given that I would be looking at 25 - 30% depreciation to swap models, are the improvements enough to change over from a 12 month old car? For me the answer is a Big Nooooo :) .

Some comment
MQB - Given that I do not track my 2017 GTI or drive at 10 tenths, would I even notice the difference?
New Engine - Is it? Still part of the EA888 Family as far as I know. The power increase over the existing 1.8 is only 5% and I can already lose traction with mine in first and second gear, on a dry road, so I am not sure what I would do with another 5% :(
New interior - I bought mine as I was pining for a good old Honda City Turbo and wanted a bit of 'Go Kart' in my daily driver. Have no interest in in-cabin doo daas (apart from the Electronic Damper Switch).
Bigger Boot - I have already removed the space hogging false floor, fitted $20 of carpet and gained another 20% boot space in my existing car.

That is just the way I see it, others may have other requirements or are more cashed up than me.

andrew7
10-11-2017, 10:03 AM

Switching to the "wet' 6 speed DSG (presumably DQ250) is a major plus and finally eliminates the last remaining big weakness (the dodgy dry 7 spd DQ200). It'll be firmly on my list in 12-18 mths time as I'll be "downgrading" to a smaller runaround.

andrew7
07-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Good review of the Polo GTI BY Autogufel:

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk7wny6QXN0)

Sharkie
08-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Good review of the Polo GTI BY Autogufel:

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk7wny6QXN0)

Looks really good! Silver manual GTI will be finding a home with me :cool:

and a Red manual 85TSI with my daughter :stupid:

Chuck
12-12-2017, 08:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk7wny6QXN0
great review

any idea when VW Aus will be taking orders?

alex804
19-12-2017, 12:14 PM
I am very interested in this new polo gti but it seems it would not be available until Sept/Oct 2018. i am looking to sell my mk6 gti manual as my wife needs an auto. I will mostly sell it and get a Hyundai i30 sr early 2018 if i can't wait that long.:facepalm:

Chuck
31-12-2017, 01:40 PM
New Polo Brochures & price list : Volkswagen UK (https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/polo-nf/which-model/brochures)

Mi16 Man
31-12-2017, 09:51 PM
And the Fiesta drops to 3 cylinders;

New 2018 Ford Fiesta ST - specs and latest details on Ford’s new hot hatch | Evo (http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/fiesta-st/18913/new-2018-ford-fiesta-st-specs-and-latest-details-on-ford-s-new-hot-hatch)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murph
04-01-2018, 12:19 AM
Can't wait for this car. Really hoping the Q3 arrival date for the GTI is brought forward.

sambb
12-01-2018, 10:37 PM
2018 Volkswagen Polo revealed (https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2018-volkswagen-polo-revealed-20170617-gwt22s)

"Based around the German car maker's MQB AO platform architecture, the new Volkswagen has grown quite significantly to match the dimensional gains made by many of its more contemporary compact class rivals; it boasts a 94mm longer wheelbase than the fifth-generation Polo at 2564mm, while the track widths are up by 62mm at the front at 1525mm and by 49mm at the rear at 1505mm to provide it with a considerably larger footprint than ever before.

The previous Polo was based around Volkswagen's PQ25 platform, whose engineering dates back to the fourth-generation model launched back in 2001."

The main thing for me is the update to the chassis. My 9N3 has a wide track mod to the lower control arms and on ET40 rims with 12mm spacers front and 20mm spacers rear (that's for on the track) even then only has front:rear track of 1470:1451. So the new car will have a significantly bigger footprint than mine. Only thing is the weight. It might end up a porker next to the new Fiesta ST. But that motor/gearbox combo is pretty attractive.

DrWHO
21-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Test drove the Polo GTI Plus in Wales last week. The basic car is the same as we are getting but in the UK everything we take for granted at that spec level is an optional extra. Drive-away price as we would expect the car options-wise is 26k pounds sterling. A ridiculous price as that would be about AUD $47k, which is Golf GTI/R money.

Currently Polo GTI in the UK is DSG only, which adds to the price.

Extra cost options include white non-metallic paint, climate control air, voice activation, GPS, reversing cam, park assist, 18" wheels and 5 year warranty. Thus the 26,000 pounds price.

I liked the look inside and out. Very comfortable front and back (I'm 6' 3"), with headroom, knee room and driving position. With two up front it's a bit more squeezy/intimate sitting side by side which may only become an issue with the manual when changing gear...my daily is a Golf Mk VI for comparison.

The red dash inserts are too much for me but you can option black/dark grey instead. (Funky dash looks better in the T-Roc). The electronic dash is a newer version of that what is in the Australian Golf GTI/R, looks better, but, I am still in two minds liking the analogue dash which I think is easier to read in the day/glare.

The drive is best described as a mini Golf GTI. The engine sounds OK, muted compared with the Golf. Steering goes where you point it, sharp and precise. Suspension way better than the current Polo GTI I drove last year. Acceleration is good, but, I'll wait until I have driven a manual. Very easy to park.

VW Australia is going to have to price the Polo GTI around $32k drive-away to under-cut the regular Golf GTI by $10k now that the Golf GTI Original has been released. If the Polo GTI came in around $35k the Golf GTI Original would be more tempting.

Rooboy
21-01-2018, 06:33 PM
The electronic dash is a newer version of that what is in the Australian Golf GTI/R, looks better, but, I am still in two minds liking the analogue dash which I think is easier to read in the day/glare.

That's an interesting observation on the AID. I've never had a issue with it no matter which direction the sun is coming from. When I test drove a new CX-5 last year, the right hand digital display (fuel read out, driving assistants) couldn't be seen at all when the sun was coming from behind and to the right. In the same situation the AID is perfectly visible.

DrWHO
01-02-2018, 08:56 PM
2018 Volkswagen Polo details
Pricing (before on roads)
----------

70TSI Trendline – $17,990/$20,490 (6MT/7DSG)
85TSI Comfortline – $19,490/$21,990 (6MT/7DSG)
Launch Edition – $$20,490/$22,990 (6MT/7DSG)

Features
-------------

70TSI Trendline:

15-inch steel wheels
City AEB with pedestrian detection
Driver fatigue monitor
Tyre pressure monitor
Multi-function display
Leather multi-function steering wheel
8.0-inch infotainment system
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Bluetooth
USB ports x2
Rear-view camera
Cruise control
Air conditioning
Power windows
Heated electric mirrors
Split-folding rear seat

80TSI Comfortline adds:

15-inch alloy wheels
Automatic headlights
Automatic wipers
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Front centre armrest
‘Comfort’ cloth upholstery

Launch Edition adds:

16-inch alloy wheels
Wireless phone charging
Privacy glass
Front fog-lights
LED tail-lights (dark tinted)

Options
------------

Metallic paint (all variants) – $500
Driver Assistance package (Comfortline & Launch Edition) – $1400

harry
02-02-2018, 12:27 AM
If you register interest in the car, there's a little do-hickey box that asks you what colour you'd be interested in (I assume to jump the gun o the sale) and from that it turns out we're getting 5 colours...

One of the editors from CA, also was replying to questions on their post - and mentioned that AID, sunroof, and R-line are coming later.

gh172
07-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Spotted the new Polo at Melville Volkswagen!http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/dd5e20c46ecc36192b656d026fec610b-1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kesh
09-02-2018, 01:19 AM
Very interested to see finance rates. Would love to see something like the current 1.8% on the polo and golfs. Highly unlikely I imagine.

Sharkie
09-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Sat in a new 1 yesterday, it is pretty impressive .... other than the ugly orange paint .... :facepalm:

No manual 6spds initially, sounds like June/July is when a 6 spd manual Comfortline or Launch Edition will become available. Crappy DSGs from the beginning though ....

Sounds like a 1.5 TSI will also land in a Highline in Oct/Nov this year.

malR
21-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Hi
Looking at selling my 2015 Golf R for one .

My P plater kids can't drive my car and th insurance is high for them to drive my wifes 2015 Polo Gti .
I hardly drive the my car so it makes sence to sell mine .
VW offered me 33K for mine trade in plus 4K ,for a 2018 Launch with drivers assist .

Cheers
Mal

Sharkie
22-02-2018, 09:24 AM
VW's lack of a 6sp manual in the Comfortline and Launch Edition initially has resulted in me buying a new Golf 110TI Trendline manual instead. I too needed a P plate friendly car and the lack of a manual initially AND the fact there was no discount available (corporate or otherwise) on the new Polos at launch meant a base(ish) Golf is actually cheaper than the equivalent specced new Polo right now.

I probably saved $2K over a manual Launch Edition going for the Golf instead.

Also, none of the Polos on display have the coloured dash insert as per the photos shown everywhere. The insert (which is large across the entire width of the car) is finished in a cheap looking dull greyish colour. It's a bit nostalgic I suppose if you like cheap 00's Korean and 1980's Japanese cars ......

Still going to buy a GTI once its available in a manual and once its specs are confirmed and acceptable. Need the SatNAv (which is not available at all on any new Polo at present (even as an option).

DrWHO
22-02-2018, 11:45 AM
I drive cars (brand new cars), I don't sell them, nor market them for sale. I don't understand VWA's practice of releasing a BRAND NEW MODEL in dribs and drabs, piecemeal. Is it supposed to wet out appetites? It pisses me off no end.

We know the model will be released as Trendline, Comfortline, Highline and GTI. (Beats model somewhere in the mix too).

So why are we getting the Launch Edition which does not conform to any of the model levels of trim in March?

No Trendline or Comfortline until July 2018. No manual transmissions until July as well. No Highline until November 2018. The GTI sometime after July but (fingers crossed) before November 2018.

Is there any other market that does this? The excuse we are a small market and a long way from the factory is feeble at best. As there is only one factory everyone (bar country of manufacture) is a long way away, not just Australia and NZ.

In NZ the website already has prices up. No Highline, but, an R-Line instead. Polo GTI in May. NZ a bigger VW market than Oz? More likely VWNZ is run by people who know that Audi is the luxury brand in the stable and VW's are cars for the people.

Sydneykid
22-02-2018, 12:27 PM
I drive cars (brand new cars), I don't sell them, nor market them for sale. I don't understand VWA's practice of releasing a BRAND NEW MODEL in dribs and drabs, piecemeal. Is it supposed to wet out appetites? It pisses me off no end.We know the model will be released as Trendline, Comfortline, Highline and GTI. (Beats model somewhere in the mix too).So why are we getting the Launch Edition which does not conform to any of the model levels of trim in March?No Trendline or Comfortline until July 2018. No manual transmissions until July as well. No Highline until November 2018. The GTI sometime after July but (fingers crossed) before November 2018.Is there any other market that does this? The excuse we are a small market and a long way from the factory is feeble at best. As there is only one factory everyone (bar country of manufacture) is a long way away, not just Australia and NZ.In NZ the website already has prices up. No Highline, but, an R-Line instead. Polo GTI in May. NZ a bigger VW market than Oz? More likely VWNZ is run by people who know that Audi is the luxury brand in the stable and VW's are cars for the people.

It's not VW Australia's fault, if you want someone to blame, try DOTARS, they are the ones with the unique ADR's, ANCAP, emissions testing, fuel consumption, etc etc. Plus they are required for right hand drive vehicles eg; crash testing a LHD one doesn't count. It's a left over from when we made cars here. NZ dropped their own equivalents years back and just accept the European stuff, so they get new models faster.

If you actually want to do something about it then complain to your local Federal Member, I have. Which BTW does actually work, enough of us complained about the 25 year old rule and had that fixed.

Cheers
Gary

Rooboy
22-02-2018, 12:31 PM
VW aren't the only ones doing "launch" edition cars - Jaguar, Volvo etc have been doing it for years.

DrWHO
22-02-2018, 02:28 PM
If you actually want to do something about it then complain to your local Federal Member, I have.

Complaint sent.

Kesh
02-03-2018, 12:55 PM
If they do a 1% or 1.8% finance deal, I'm definitely down for the Launch edition. Looks well priced, but hopefully can be brought down.

Kachingg
02-03-2018, 09:20 PM
1.8% finance offer on atm

Transporter
08-03-2018, 07:05 AM
VW aren't the only ones doing "launch" edition cars - Jaguar, Volvo etc have been doing it for years.

JEEP/Fiat is doing the same. If only enough people could hold back buying their car until the full range options are available.

DuaneDibbley
10-03-2018, 08:49 PM
I just placed an order for a Launch Edition manual in grey today. Nothing was said of a wait until July.... Said something about 'probably 3-4 weeks' which is fine. Surprise "July" delivery date will be a bit ****.

That said - I tested it against the 110TSI manual Golf 7.5 as well and while the golf was a bit faster and a bit comfier and the cabin a bit higher rent it felt kinda bland compared to the little 3cyl in the Polo. Really loved the grumbly engine note on the Polo. Even the 70TSI one I drove made me giggle a lot. Had a lot of fun testing it despite the fact the thing has less power than my motorbike and the Octavia RS :p

Chuck
12-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Sat in the Launch edition a couple of times recently to get an idea for size/fit/finish...i like it!

Waiting on information around spec for the GTI...keen to order asap.

what did annoy me about the Launch Polo was the centre arm rest not being adjustable like in the Golf/s

DrWHO
12-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Here is a kick in the balls!!!

2018 Volkswagen Polo GTI won’t have a manual gearbox in Australia (https://www.caradvice.com.au/630027/2018-volkswagen-polo-gti-wont-have-a-manual-gearbox-in-australia/)

DrWHO
12-03-2018, 06:38 PM
I've been told there are no more Golf GTI Original's in manual...I missed out and there won't be any more this year.
Now I put off buying a Polo GTI late last year because the new one was going to launch in 6 months time... but, now no manual.
The Comfortline Golf is a no manual option.
So poverty pack base model in either Polo/Golf is your only choice for a manual if you haven't got $44k+.
I suppose that's one way of claiming you're a luxury brand.

DuaneDibbley
12-03-2018, 07:24 PM
I've been told there are no more Golf GTI Original's in manual...I missed out and there won't be any more this year.
Now I put off buying a Polo GTI late last year because the new one was going to launch in 6 months time... but, now no manual.
The Comfortline Golf is a no manual option.
So poverty pack base model in either Polo/Golf is your only choice for a manual if you haven't got $44k+.
I suppose that's one way of claiming you're a luxury brand.

Can get the launch and comfort line polos in 6pd manual. But there's a BIG difference in motors!

Sharkie
13-03-2018, 08:32 AM
No manual GTI means I won’t be buying one.

Currently have 2 VW's (both manual) and was going to buy a manual GTI at the end of this year. Sadly it seems that won't happen now and I'll look elsewhere. I already had to settle for a lower spec Golf than what I wanted, purely because I could not get a manual in the higher specs. Probably bought my last VW ever now .....

BMW and MB still allows you to special order a manual in a number of models (though they think you are crazy :rolleyes:) if you wanted. Perhaps VW needs to take that approach, especially if they really wanted to be seen as playing upmarket.

Sydneykid
15-03-2018, 10:59 AM
I'll take the much faster, don't have to take my hand off the steering wheel, no clutch pedal, no boost drop off, paddle shifter any day.

Cheers
Gary

Sharkie
15-03-2018, 03:18 PM
I dislike that VW removes my ability to choose what I can have in a car. Regardless of the issues some have with manuals or DSG's, I want to be able to make my own choice.

When I'm old and lazy I might change to a car that has a "D" for dummy, but at the moment still young and independent enough to make my own decisions as to what I want the car to do at any particular point in time. Picking my own gears for a given situation provides great enjoyment ..... and satisfaction if I pick correctly! I do like to do more than just bury my foot in the carpet and hold on ... am I going any faster? Probably not, but I certainly am having more fun in the process.

Its also the reason you will find every single mainstream press review of a VW DSG equipped car where a manual is an available option, mention the fact that they (the reviewer) would have preferred the manual.

Also, it is an established fact that the VW DSG's generally are quite easily beaten off the line when not using launch control by manual equipped cars. The inherent lag off the line of the DSG catches them every time unless the manual driver is a muppet. Not arguing that a DSG shifts brilliantly once its on the move though.

Sydneykid
15-03-2018, 04:28 PM
If they've got "lag off the line" then they need to learn how to drive with a DSG. Too many think it's like an auto with a torque converter, when it's plainly not.

We ran a couple of BMW 335i's in the 6 Hour Production Car Race at Bathurst last Easter, one manual and one DCT. With the same power the DCT was 0.75 seconds faster up the hill because there was no boost drop / acceleration pause on the gear changes that the manual suffers from. Just hold the accelerator flat from Hell Corner to Griffins, no lift required.

Cheers
Gary

DuaneDibbley
15-03-2018, 09:13 PM
My manual 85 tsi Launch Edition with driver assist order has been confirmed for delivery mid next month apparently.

Had to swap off Lime Grey to Elecrtic orange to actually get a car though. Apparently manuals may as well not exist in the quantities they're shipping in.

100% agree on the DSG argument. Now they're sorted there's really no technical disadvantage to them even allowing for slightly higher weight and more complexity if you value the performance.

Manual is still fun and there's tons of value in that. But they're no longer superior methods of changing gears.

Ozsko
15-03-2018, 09:21 PM
If they've got "lag off the line" then they need to learn how to drive with a DSG. Too many think it's like an auto with a torque converter, when it's plainly not.

We ran a couple of BMW 335i's in the 6 Hour Production Car Race at Bathurst last Easter, one manual and one DCT. With the same power the DCT was 0.75 seconds faster up the hill because there was no boost drop / acceleration pause on the gear changes that the manual suffers from. Just hold the accelerator flat from Hell Corner to Griffins, no lift required.

Cheers
Gary

This should be a sticky, the myth still persists

Sharkie
19-03-2018, 01:34 PM

Cheers
Gary

Completely misses the point .....

Its not about how fast the car is or technically advanced, it's about how a driver interacts with it.

No question a DSG is much faster around a race track and in a straight line when using launch control.

However .... for the 0.05% of its life that my car spends on a race track, I'd happy trade that extra speed to be able to enjoy the 99.95% of its life it spend on public roads where a DSG does nothing special for me and I want to use a manual. Doing it in a manual creates involvement, interaction and enjoyment (for me, but each to their own).

As a bonus I don't have to deal with DSG reliability issues (and the family owned a DSG where this was a real issue), DSG 's inherent lag (and saying you have to learn how to drive it is rubbish, it should not be like that), DSG's jerkiness and snatching at low speed and an irritating (and dangerous) stop-start function (which works brilliantly in a manual)

VWA should make at the very least a manual a no-cost option on every car where it can be sourced in a manual from the factory. BMW and Mercedes does this, why the poor product choices from VW? Even if only 5% of customers do this, it's still extra sales compared to losing business to a rival.

Ozsko
19-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Our DSG car gets driven mostly outside the metro area on quick twisty, fast roads and the DSG is just awesome in those conditions, way faster an manual car can be and the main driver used to drive manual race cars and karts for many years. Go into a corner, bury the nose under brakes and just start pulling gears back on the paddle, as I said just an awesome way to drive for him and me.

Chuck
19-03-2018, 03:02 PM
2018 Volkswagen Polo GTI pricing and specs (https://www.caradvice.com.au/631829/2018-volkswagen-polo-gti-pricing-specs/)

this thing fully optioned and on the road will be 40/41k

Considering a 2016 A4 or this...tough call

devoutdubber
19-03-2018, 04:59 PM
If 0-100 in 6.0 with semi-slicks below is legit, oh baby! A bit of sticky rubber and some wider wheels here I come. Will cop the fully optioned price, it's still 10-11k better than a tricked out Golf GTI (and I'm hoping my miracle manual will shave a bit extra off the price too).

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs15s4-S8tU)

DrWHO
19-03-2018, 05:37 PM
drive.com.au
GTI pricing and options list

2018 Volkswagen Polo GTI pricing and details (https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2018-volkswagen-polo-gti-pricing-and-details-117658.html?ffref=smh&trackLink=SMH0)

MelbMan
19-03-2018, 06:25 PM
The only thing I'm not sure on is which option do you have to take to get the digital dash? The price itself doesn't seem too bad. With the link above the article talks of a 7 speed DSG. While I love 7 gears (and was hoping we'd see the VW 10 speed before dieselgate) am pretty sure the Polo GTI will have the 6 speed DSG.

devoutdubber
19-03-2018, 07:33 PM
The limited dealer specs I've got have it as a 6 speed DSG

DrWHO
19-03-2018, 09:40 PM
The article is wrong. The polo GTI has a 6 speed DSG with a wet clutch.

The digital/electronic dash comes with the sound and vision option at $1900.

Of the three options available at launch the sound and vision pack buys the most bangs for your buck. The DAP at $1400 is poor value.

I'm hoping for drive away pricing...or at the least just $1000 extra. Also hoping the factory warranty extension will be available for $1000.

Kesh
24-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Hopefully locking in a Comfortline with Driver Assistance on Monday. Going to try my luck and get the Driver assistance package in for free, doubt it though if they're selling well.

DuaneDibbley
24-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Hopefully locking in a Comfortline with Driver Assistance on Monday. Going to try my luck and get the Driver assistance package in for free, doubt it though if they're selling well.

I wish you luck. I was told by the dealer (and have read in a few places online a similar story) that they're not allowed to make any further discounts on the vehicles over the launch pricing.

Ozsko
24-03-2018, 03:29 PM
I bet VWA don't put that in writing.

DuaneDibbley
24-03-2018, 03:32 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't. They're not obligated to provide a discount to people. Especially when it's a new model with virtually no stock sitting unsold on lots.

Not that makes me happy! I had to pay list price, well I got floor mats thrown in (whoopee!), and that was the deal offered to be from two dealers who both flat out refused an offer to put a $1000 deposit then and there if they dropped even $500 off the price.

I mean, try for the DAP thrown in - you never know if you don't ask :)

I ordered a manual Polo though and apparently they're rarer than hens teeth which probably put me in a lower bargaining position anyway.

Ozsko
24-03-2018, 03:48 PM
I'm no lawyer so take this for what it is worth, possibly nothing. They have stated a recommended retail price, whether it is a limited deal or not it is a recommended retail price. It is my understanding that a wholesaler cannot fix a retail price or influence it in any way without special permission. I know this because a tool supplier I occasionally buy from (Festool) has just such permission and is one of the few that do. Just the way it.

DrWHO
24-03-2018, 04:56 PM

My cousin bought a launch edition this afternoon. DSG in that awful orange colour. List DA price + $1000 for DAP. Will be delivered next Friday as it's in the dealers holding yard. She's happy.

Kesh
24-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Yeah I figured that'd be the case, I'm reading the same stuff online. But I guess you can only negotiate up, not down, so why not try anyway. Haha.

DrWHO
24-04-2018, 11:26 AM
And the Beat(s) go on...

2018 Volkswagen Polo Beats pricing and specs (https://www.caradvice.com.au/642084/2018-volkswagen-polo-beats-pricing-specs/)

DrWHO
28-06-2018, 09:46 AM
More news from VWA.

The Beats edition is a limited edition model. All of the Australian allocation has been assembled and is on its way here. Numbers not disclosed. Anyone thinking of ordering a car with the stripe deleted from the factory...not an option. Depending on how the stripe is applied/painted maybe a dealer could remove it? Or ruin the finish of your brand new car?

Still waiting for info on GTI.

EDIT: NO LED headlights for the Beats model.

vw_alex
28-06-2018, 08:29 PM
keen to hear when the GTIs hit the water!

Chuck
29-06-2018, 01:47 PM
keen to hear when the GTIs hit the water!

keen to get my hands on one...what is the odds there will be fully optioned ones in the shipment?

i assume odds will be quite low and will have be ordered to spec which will included a 6 month wait?

aware
23-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Parents just picked up one last week - 85TSI Comfortline in Limestone Grey, with rubber mats, rubber boot mat and boot lip protector. Brilliant little runabout - 3 cyl DSG shows a little bit of lag on take off but once and running it's a surprisingly perky little package, and for something bought as a pure runabout (to sit alongside their 4 month old X1) it's great. 3 cyl also makes a great sound - reminiscent of their old D5 Volvo.

Initially struggled to get them to consider one due to it being too small and they were only considering a Golf at first, but they looked at one and were pleasantly surprised.

Just have to get my girlfriend to trade in her Veloster for a GTI.....

Lucas_R
17-10-2018, 10:44 AM
My brother just ordered a brand new Mk6 Polo GTI which he pics up early November. I havent seen any other GTI's on the road yet - does anyone have one?

E5RA
19-10-2018, 06:58 AM
I picked up my Polo GTI a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely love it.

Got all three option packs and went with black paint and interior.

Had a couple of initial worries with a squeak from the centre console and jumping wiper blades but both seem to have stopped after first week.

Lucas_R
19-10-2018, 08:06 AM
I picked up my Polo GTI a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely love it.

Got all three option packs and went with black paint and interior.

Had a couple of initial worries with a squeak from the centre console and jumping wiper blades but both seem to have stopped after first week.

I just saw your introduction post with the photo - the car looks really nice in black. You certainly dont see many black ones.

The one my brother ordered is white - im not sure what all the option packs are but he told me its got the LED headlights, the Beats stereo, and the digital dash. So im assuming its at least got some of the options ticked.

malR
19-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Hi Guys

My wife is looking at a optioned up Black Polo Gti . What prices have you guys been quoted or given .

Cheers
Mal

E5RA
19-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Hi Guys

My wife is looking at a optioned up Black Polo Gti . What prices have you guys been quoted or given .

Cheers
Mal

$40,400 drive way. That's black with all packs.

malR
20-10-2018, 05:18 PM
$40,400 drive way. That's black with all packs.

Cheers E5RA for the reply .

VDub Driva
23-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Mine will be delivered at the end of October. Black + all three packs.
$39467 drive away.

EdwinJ
31-10-2018, 04:42 PM
I know it's not a Polo GTI but I grabbed the New 2019 Polo Beats Edition (Limited) with Active Info Display, red trims, racing decals and the whole lot. It is very similar to the GTI aside from the engine. Love it but looking for a VCDS helper close by to me (Melbourne, VIC)

Considering all I've lost is essentially the GTI Engine, I only paid about $30k, well worth in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Robjh
03-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Mine will be delivered at the end of October. Black + all three packs.
$39467 drive away.

Hi mate ... any chance you could let me know where you bought your GTi from at such a good price .. I'm also in Brisbane and looking around.

How do you find the new car ? ... guessing you have picked it up by now ?

maxrob200
13-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Planning to sell my MY16 Polo GTi (manual) and get the new mk6 GTi DSG as I am getting lazy due to long drives to work. Anyone interested in it? Will put up some photos on the Sell section soon. I am in Melbourne. PM me if interested in more details

nway91
17-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Partner and I are looking at a new (or demo) Polo GTI with all the options ticked. Would love to know where people have gone in Melbourne - Waverley VW left a bit of a sour impression for us.

Jamesy
28-11-2018, 11:48 PM
Just picked this up from Waverley VW and was quite happy with them. Think it’s the first in Australia http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/74c5b3d55c5f7f92909d7be72d6ed8eb-1.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/a406030cb2f3e6a306b5167168e07223-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VDub Driva
07-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Hi,

sorry i I haven’t come back to you sooner; I haven’t checked into the form for a few weeks.
bought mine at Ipswich VW.
Ive bought several cars from them in the past.

ask for Mikayla or Danny (sales manage)

i took delivery on 31/10.
its a daily driver, so I’ve got around 4000km on it already.

im loving it.
it basically good enough to rival a Golf GTI.
mine has all 3 option packs, but I really resent having to take the pano roof, & to lose the GTI Tartan, in order to get the wheels & LEDs.

nway91
11-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Hi,
im loving it.
it basically good enough to rival a Golf GTI.
mine has all 3 option packs, but I really resent having to take the pano roof, & to lose the GTI Tartan, in order to get the wheels & LEDs.
I felt the same for a long time but I've come to accept the interior trim. We've just placed an order with our leasing company for the same thing so hopefully it arrives in time for Christmas!

marcuskmt
12-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Just wondering and hoping not to sound sexist, but would a middle aged guy look out of place in a VW Polo?

What do you guys think about the Polo Beats? I assume that is MK6?

Harrydhillon
12-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Just wondering and hoping not to sound sexist, but would a middle aged guy look out of place in a VW Polo?

What do you guys think about the Polo Beats? I assume that is MK6?

Errr dude! I am middle aged and drive a polo GTI.. who cares what people think, you do you [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

marcuskmt
14-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Errr dude! I am middle aged and drive a polo GTI.. who cares what people think, you do you [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fair call mate!

What pricing are you guys getting for the Polo Comfortline?

I was looking at either the 1.Beats or the 2.Comfortline with the Sound and Vision Package.

VDub Driva
16-12-2018, 07:12 PM
I’m 52, & my Polo GTI is my daily driver.
That, I don’t really see myself in a Beats. Just my opinion.

Breno
26-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Loving our new GTI however there is one thing that is driving us both mad. The Bluetooth hands free has woeful feedback/echo to the person on the other end. Is anyone else experiencing this?

DuaneDibbley
28-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Loving our new GTI however there is one thing that is driving us both mad. The Bluetooth hands free has woeful feedback/echo to the person on the other end. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I can't speak for use over bluetooth but over carplay I have no issues with feedback etc in my Launch Edition.

Does anyone else need to plug in carplay and then unplug and replug it in before it'll actually output the sound to the car?

marcuskmt
28-12-2018, 01:21 PM

I'm joining the club with a MY19 Comfortline DAP and S&V. I couldnt afford the GTI which I loved when I drove it, but it was $10k more!

I bought today and might be lucky enough to get it within a fortnight which is awesome, considering the festive season!!

I cant wait!

Breno
28-12-2018, 02:29 PM
I can't speak for use over bluetooth but over carplay I have no issues with feedback etc in my Launch Edition.

Does anyone else need to plug in carplay and then unplug and replug it in before it'll actually output the sound to the car?

No, carplay works first time for me. I have the beats audio upgrade, not sure if there is a difference but you gave me an idea to test it both over carplay and bluetooth. Same echo with both.

DuaneDibbley
29-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Drove the GTI today. Seemed slower than I was expecting? I didn't really drive it aggressively though so perhaps it needs a bit more decisive input if not in manual mode.

Unsure what to do though... We currently have an Octavia RS 169 wagon the wife daily drives and a low kms one of them can be had for slightly less than the new polo gti. More power, more space. It would be pretty cool to have twin cars lol.

GTI felt like it would be a ton of fun with a tune though.

marcuskmt
04-01-2019, 07:58 PM
What is this Winter Tyres warning that I get? What does it mean.

I know I can turn it off, but before I do, I just want to know what it means?

Sydneykid
07-01-2019, 11:54 AM
What is this Winter Tyres warning that I get? What does it mean.
I know I can turn it off, but before I do, I just want to know what it means?
Winter tyres = tyres that work in snow (and ice) because they have deeper and more aggressive tread patterns.

It's mot unusual to fit winter tyres just to the front wheels of a FWD car and leave the "normal" tyres on the rear. Due to their larger diameter the winter tyres will do less revs per kilometer, which is how the low tyre pressure warning works ie; it compares the number of revolutions of all the tyres and if 1 or 2 tyres turn more then that's an indication of lower tyre pressure.

Unless you intend using "winter" tyres then nothing to worry about, leave it on the default setting.

Cheers
Gary

marcuskmt
11-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Has anyone noticed the AC turning off (so just the fan going) when you are stopped at the traffic lights?

I assume this is to preserve the battery?

Could this be linked to Auto Star/Stop?

Anyway of overriding this?

DuaneDibbley
11-01-2019, 06:56 PM
If engine is off the AC is off and it’s only fan.

marcuskmt
15-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Where do people get their Discover Media Gen 2 map updates from?

Is it a matter of downloading onto the SD card and putting it in the slot?

I'm not sure if this site I found is correct for the Polo or if it is up to date?

Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates (https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/?car=a0cdf9ec-92a4-4a88-b68c-2b2c92c8fa29&navi=f7d60bb5-e4c7-4f15-a629-ed994e464a9f)

Sydneykid
15-01-2019, 11:37 AM
Has anyone noticed the AC turning off (so just the fan going) when you are stopped at the traffic lightsYep, it's normal.

I assume this is to preserve the battery?Nope, the fan is electric and keeps running, the A/C compressor runs of the engine (not electric).

Could this be linked to Auto Star/Stop?Yep, when the engine stops turning so does the A/C compressor.

Anyway of overriding this?Yep, turn off the bluemotion (auto stop/start).

Cheers
Gary