PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a used 155TSI Highline Jetta

zifta
10-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at picking up a second hand 155TSI highline (due to reliability as well as a bit of extra power) and was considering this:

155TSI 2015 MY15
58,000km
VW serviced (three services, next is the DSG service at 60k)
Sunroof, Auto
Appears to be in very good condition cosmetically

Was looking for something with a little fewer kms but it seems there's not much around at the moment.

Redbook has an estimated value of 22,700 to 25,100 with an average of 30-50,000km on the clock.

They're asking $22-23,000 - what do you guys think?

tigger73
10-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Price up the cost of the 60,000km service from the dealer and subtract that from your offer. It'll likely be around $1,300 when you factor in a brake fluid flush and cabin filter.

I'd also be looking at the condition of tyres, brakes and other major wear items.

Keep in mind that the dealers can't sell these and seriously have to drop them significantly to shift them. Expect to see demos in the low $30's. Some of these are a year or 2 old and have just been sitting in stock. Jetta is a buyers market at the moment. There's some good buying and a number of sellers that have had cars for a long time. So let that play to your advantage.

I'd still cross shop them with a Golf GTI as you can pick up low km examples for ~$20k: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Volkswagen-Golf-2010/SSE-AD-4942726/?Cr=0

The issue is the Jetta is an old car (sedan version of Mk6 GTI) and is long overdue for replacement. There's a new car coming in 2018 but hasn't even been confirmed if it's going to be available in RHD.

Nafe75
11-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Major service is probably around $1k from an independent vs $1300 from the dealership. Depends on your location and what's easier for you to get to etc. The kms are probably higher than I would consider for a 2015 model - but that's because I got my 2013 with 17k on the clock :)

I don't honestly think anyone looking at a 2015 Jetta is looking at a 2010 GTI for similar money. I was in the same boat, but the practicality of the Jetta won out over the Golf, plus it was significantly newer with less kms. The GTI is still on the wishlist, but I need the space for now.

If they are asking $22k, I'd go in at $19k considering it's probably up for tyres soon, the major service including DSG oil change, plus stuff like pads etc. All of that will be a couple of grand in the very near future for you.

tigger73
11-09-2017, 12:19 PM
I was only suggesting comparison with the Mk6 Golf GTI as it's a similar spec vehicle.

There's a lot more around and I think a fairer reflection on price for cars with 5-6 year old tech. Which is what the Jetta is unfortunately.

I'd only buy it at the right price as there's likely $3k minimum to spend in maintenance shortly.

Having said that the engine/ gearbox in these is pretty reliable.

I'm with Nafe75 and $19k would be what I'd be prepared to pay. If they've got trade-in prices I'm almost certain they'd be less than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anthony
11-09-2017, 05:43 PM
The Jetta is great,good luck with your decisions.

zifta
13-09-2017, 01:14 AM
Thanks for your advice guys, very helpful!

The seller's moved the car on but I don't think I was too keen on the mileage anyway, and that's still useful advice for my ongoing search.

anthony
18-09-2017, 11:21 AM
If you want a mid sized sedan,consider the last of the Honda Accord Euros.
They are bulletproof,look great,and are beautifully built and finished.

aznek888
02-11-2017, 12:47 AM
I actually have a Jetta 155tsi. Picked it up earlier this year

Look, its actually quite different to other VW's. Not many places in Australia actually know about the 155tsi.
Just note, it doesn't use a normal mk6 engine hence why it is 155kw from stock. VW has made a gen 3 motor for it (Refined version of the mk6) but uses the mk6 setup (Intake etc). So basically, left side of the engine looks like a mk7 golf and right side looks like a mk6. Turbo however is totally different to mk7. It uses a honeywell turbo from what I understand so basically a k03. The setup of the turbo is very different to the mk7 though and if you're looking at upgrading turbos etc then I'd suggest to look at a Golf. Its close to impossible at the moment. Gen 3 Jetta's are very popular in the States. Not sure why VW built the vehicle like this but I guess it could've been cost saving and as mentioned, 2018 version may come out soon.

Saying this, I love my 155tsi as its practical and different. One other thing you need to look out for is the water pump as I've had my replaced under warranty recently and its a common issue.

But for the price, you can't go wrong with it. Leather seats, sat nav, sunroof, drl xenon headlights, led tail lights and massive boot space. Another vehicle for similar price is the Skoda Octavia RS. Reason I say this is because the MQB setup is seriously amazing. I just prefer the looks of 155tsi over the Octavia.

Hope this helps. Price wise is about right to be honest but yes if you can get it for $19k then that is a bargain.

VW Convert
02-11-2017, 09:53 AM
I actually have a Jetta 155tsi. Picked it up earlier this year

Look, its actually quite different to other VW's. Not many places in Australia actually know about the 155tsi.
Just note, it doesn't use a normal mk6 engine hence why it is 155kw from stock. VW has made a gen 3 motor for it (Refined version of the mk6) but uses the mk6 setup (Intake etc). So basically, left side of the engine looks like a mk7 golf and right side looks like a mk6. Turbo however is totally different to mk7. It uses a honeywell turbo from what I understand so basically a k03. The setup of the turbo is very different to the mk7 though and if you're looking at upgrading turbos etc then I'd suggest to look at a Golf. Its close to impossible at the moment. Gen 3 Jetta's are very popular in the States. Not sure why VW built the vehicle like this but I guess it could've been cost saving and as mentioned, 2018 version may come out soon.

You sure of this? Always thought this was the same 155TSI engine code CCZB as used in MK6 GTI, facelifted Eos etc.

What's the engine code?

Cheers

George

anthony
06-11-2017, 08:39 AM
MK7 Jetta goes into production in December in Mexico.
Will launch in early 2018 in the USA.
Not sure if it will come here,as apparently it's going to only be built in volume in left hand drive.