PDA

View Full Version : Full Size Spare Tyre - Golf GT Sport

Mr X
19-01-2008, 02:11 PM
I have ordered a GT Sport due delivery Mid March.

I'm not comfortable with the space saver spare.

Is it possible to fit a full size spare in the back.

Has anyone done this?

thanks

Murray

Golf Houso
19-01-2008, 02:35 PM
probably only a 15' or 16' rim I'm guessing. My MK3 has a full sized spare, the 14' just fits and I have to shove it in to fit. I chose to do this as the safety wheel was used a number of times before by my reckoning and is now deemed useless.

I suggest you measure the height and depth of your wheel/tire and compare that to your space saver slot. Also consider that the wheel with deform the carpet at the rear forcing it to bulge out, less boot space and it doesn't look too flash either.

Welcome to the forum! The Mk5 crew will have all the answers and more!!! :D

Mischa
19-01-2008, 03:13 PM
the std space saver is an 18" wheel so my guess is you could get almost anything in there. ill check later when its not pouring so much if you'd like. only thing is it'll raise the carpet up an inch or two.

but why do you want to replace it? i mean how many times have you had a flat in your life? and how many of those have been more than 100km from home? sure buy one for long trips etc but why bother in the city?

Mr X
19-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Unfortunately I've had 3 flats in the last 18 months or so.

I'll be doing a few interstate trips and the last thing I want is to use the space saver out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints and warm welcome

Murray

GT Sport, Graphite Blue, 2.0TDI, DSG, Bi-Xenons, Leather NAV and Sunroof

Mischa
19-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Unfortunately I've had 3 flats in the last 18 months or so.

I'll be doing a few interstate trips and the last thing I want is to use the space saver out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints and warm welcome

Murray

GT Sport, Graphite Blue, 2.0TDI, DSG, Bi-Xenons, Leather NAV and Sunroof

nice car ;) and yes welcome to the forum!

beaurepairs gives tyre insurance for 7$ a corner i think its worth it on our cars with the tyres being 400 each