PDA

View Full Version : Battery Blues

arnifix
07-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Hi all, I've made a number of modifications via obdeleven to my MY17 Tig and I've now had the battery die overnight twice.

Each time the car has been powered down normally, however both times I've noticed that the AID has remained on after powering off and locking the doors. It has just been displayed the normal end-of-trip data, and turned off after 30~ seconds. However I am concerned that all the systems in the vehicle are not turning off and they are invisibly draining power. Is there some way I can determine this, either via in car systems or via obdeleven?

veew
07-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Worthwhile listing what mods you've done.
I checked my car, AID turns off after 30s following locking.

How do you do your tweaks? With ignition on or with the car/engine running?

DV52
07-09-2017, 10:37 PM
arnifix: What mods have you done to the car? Can you post-up a copy of your history file? If you don't know how to generate a history fle, follow my instructions below.

Send yourself an email copy of the history records - then paste a version here (use the "code" tags to make sure that the file doesn't take-over the entire thread).

Don

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/9UwvvX0png-1.jpg

sharp
08-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Hi all, I've made a number of modifications via obdeleven to my MY17 Tig and I've now had the battery die overnight twice.

Did you forget the obdeleven dongle plugged in? I made the same mistake before!

arnifix
08-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Did you forget the obdeleven dongle plugged in? I made the same mistake before!I've always left it plugged in before, but only in the past week have I had flat batteries. Is it known to drain power? That's what I'm really looking to confirm.

Will generate a history and post it a bit later on, as I have done many mods at this point.

sharp
08-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Is it known to drain power?

I don't know. But it drained my battery within 3 days.

P.S. VW roadside assistance came and replaced the battery with an AGM battery. I was surprised that the factory fitted battery wasn't AGM.

DV52
08-09-2017, 06:52 PM
I've always left it plugged in before, but only in the past week have I had flat batteries. Is it known to drain power? That's what I'm really looking to confirm.

Will generate a history and post it a bit later on, as I have done many mods at this point.

arnifix: OK - no need for history file. The cause is leaving the dongle connected in the car. It really depends on what state that you leave the OBD11 dongle when you walk away from the car. If it's still "connected" (i.e. via the "connect" screen on your Andriod tablet/mobile phone), the dongle keeps communicating with the module that OBD11 calls "Gateway" (and VCDS calls "CAN Gateway"). It's the module @ address hex19 and it's job is to interrogate the other modules and to manage the flow of information over the various CAN buses.

The continuous dialogue between the OBD11 dongle and the Gateway stops the other modules in your car from sleeping. This in turn keeps all the various sensors, measurement circuits and diagnostic electronics from also sleeping - the result is lots of electrical current drain from the battery, when the alternator isn't replacing lost amps.

Just remove the OBD11 dongle and problem fixed!

Don

Did you forget the obdeleven dongle plugged in? I made the same mistake before!

Sharp - good call!

veew
08-09-2017, 09:08 PM
The cause is leaving the dongle connected in the car. It really depends on what state that you leave the OBD11 dongle when you walk away from the car. If it's still "connected" (i.e. via the "connect" screen on your Andriod tablet/mobile phone), the dongle keeps communicating with the module that OBD11 calls "Gateway" (and VCDS calls "CAN Gateway"). It's the module @ address hex19 and it's job is to interrogate the other modules and to manage the flow of information over the various CAN buses.

The continuous dialogue between the OBD11 dongle and the Gateway stops the other modules in your car from sleeping. This in turn keeps all the various sensors, measurement circuits and diagnostic electronics from also sleeping - the result is lots of electrical current drain from the battery, when the alternator isn't replacing lost amps.

Good to know, thanks Don!

arnifix
15-09-2017, 06:48 AM
Since removing the obdeleven dongle I've had no problems. Thanks team!

OZROD
16-02-2018, 12:07 PM
My battery has died overnight as well, no OBDEleven dongle left in though. Volkswagen Roadside Service was here in 20 mins, declaring the battery toast and replaced it with an AGM battery which he assured me was a nice upgrade. Hopefully there wasn't anything else draining it...

cameleon72
17-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Hello OZROD, do you know what Brand and model was your original battery ?
People would not believe but for some reason new Tiguan2 even if just key is let in ignition on and all device are switched off , included radio, all internal and external lights regardless you have AID or regular display , just ignition on and Car draw in that condition incredibly 7amps from battery!! So you doo the mats now, 12x7amp per hours you will see if you leave inside just key ignition on your car battery will be totally depleted in just couple hours .This is confirmed tested on professional multi bench digital 40 amp charger , so it is 100% true according to Fluke. This car ECU is power hungry is like Server and this is not normal ( and also ECU getting extremely hot as no fan is inside, temperature can easy reach over 70 c in normal Ozi day in jut 15 minutes of drive) .
I didn't see before in any car such a El. Power huge consumption with just key ignition on and this not smell on good long term for our Au Climate, will be lots of problems with burned ECU and car batteries .
Is still early to 100% confirm but I am tracking now my ECU overheating issue, and I can conclude that ECU can so easy get overheated in new Tiguan and t start to throttle down engine performance power even you don't get message in car display but you will notice in hot day car struggling with power especially when A/C is used an selected not so low 23c, it fill like turtle ,go drive in night time same day switch even Air condition to lowest coolest 16C and car still has plenty of power and you don't notice in any power lose even with A/C switched on because ECU is not overheated so not throttling down engine performance .
Unfortunately this car is not made for AU hot weather ,but more for EU cold air which is shame ;(

OZROD
17-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Hi cameleon72, unfortunately I didn't see what the old battery was. He had the whole thing swapped over in just a few minutes and didn't seem surprised by needing to replace a new battery so perhaps you are right about the draw from the ECU.

cameleon72
17-02-2018, 02:45 PM
SeBang or VARTA probably . I trust only VARTA or Bosh , a usually it last 8 years in my pervious VW Audi Cars . Sebang is very questionable Korean some 3rd party cheap stuff .
I was shocked and unlucky that my Tiguan Made in German come with SeBang Korean battery instead of usual Trusty Made in Germany VARTA battery , but looks like VW trying to save every cents even if it hurts own domestic company's. That is today mrket save us much money you can and show on end of year profit result .
However extremely drawing power problem has nothing to do with Brand or model of battery, even one will lust longer and had better capacity unless is totally Faulty.
On SeBang I noticed even I fully recgarge Battery overnight before and once switch car in morning previously not used car , it can in start recharging battery and switch off Start / Stop engine system with icon disable on display and use alternator at high to recharge battery because for some reason this SeBang lose capacity by self overnight and for 1 hour or more while driving till again S/S system is available and battery recharged .This also make Petrol consumption extremely high in city drive like 30% more petrol usage than when battery is fully recharged by alternator and when stop charging you will notice you car will be more silent and petrol usage instantly goes down. Sometime Start stop will be disabled by hours driving because battery has lost capacity and alternator need to work continuously hard to pump current in . This is all wrong .
I have Q3 which has Varta Battery and Stat stop engine system, in morning while car rest 1-2 days even Start /stop will be disabled on first run but for only in 1-5 minutes on beginning drive, which is normal to battery lose very little capacity over 1-2 days in garage, but not definitely like on Tiguan 1 hour or more to disable sort stop and constantly use at High Alternator to recharge battery. So this indicate that Tiguan 2 has same issue with Battery fault or some internal electrical power current drawing issue .

PS. Please note this test has done without using A/C or radio so definitely it does not reflect on problem with Engine always on and display Start/Stop disable and Alternator recharge problem

OZROD
20-02-2018, 07:22 PM
I’ve just looked at my battery and noticed it doesn’t have the Black felt cover on the top. Is that normal or did it “disappear” during my battery replacement?33214

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cameleon72
20-02-2018, 08:03 PM
I Was also surprised when I saw battery is not sealed as it usually was case before on VW , since golf4 even had plastic box and top cover with rube seal so battery was completely sealed in. However in my Tiguan 2 is same on yours el chypo style , only this small like elephant ears plastic covers on top to cover +/- terminals;(