PDA

View Full Version : Discover Pro 9.2" - does it warn you if you're over the posted speed limit?

nickows
07-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Hi all,

Recently pickup up an MY18 140TDI Highline and had a question about the navigation system. Does the Discover Pro 9.2" warn you if you are over the posted speed limit, or is there a setting to enable this? Have had a good look through the system settings but no luck.

The reason I ask is because our second car (Mazda CX-3) warns you if you are over the posted speed limit, whether it be a 50, 60, 80, 100km/h speed zone.

Is what I've described above available with the Pro system?

I realise that you can set a maximum speed warning.

Any help much appreciated

NZ_GolfR
07-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Hi all,

Recently pickup up an MY18 140TDI Highline and had a question about the navigation system. Does the Discover Pro 9.2" warn you if you are over the posted speed limit, or is there a setting to enable this? Have had a good look through the system settings but no luck.

The reason I ask is because our second car (Mazda CX-3) warns you if you are over the posted speed limit, whether it be a 50, 60, 80, 100km/h speed zone.

You will need to turn on Road Sign Recognition via coding which displays the speed signs on the AID. This then give you the option to display a warning if you go over a certain threshold. Have a look at the coding pages on this forum for instructions on how to do it if you have an OBDeleven or VCDS or someone with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickows
07-09-2017, 10:19 PM
You will need to turn on Road Sign Recognition via coding which displays the speed signs on the AID. This then give you the option to display a warning if you go over a certain threshold. Have a look at the coding pages on this forum for instructions on how to do it if you have an OBDeleven or VCDS or someone with one.

Excellent. Thank you for the info. Much appreciated

veew
09-09-2017, 06:39 PM
I must not have fully coded it correctly then, mine has TSR but does not tell me I've gone over the limit.
Will have another look when I have time.

NZ_GolfR
09-09-2017, 08:10 PM
I must not have fully coded it correctly then, mine has TSR but does not tell me I've gone over the limit.
Will have another look when I have time.

There is no specific coding to enable this, just once turned on go into your Car Settings in the Infotainment system and under Driver Assistance there should be settings for the Road Sign Recognition where you can turn the warning on (visual and audio) and at what speed over the detected speed limit you want.

veew
09-09-2017, 08:59 PM
There is no specific coding to enable this, just once turned on go into your Car Settings in the Infotainment system and under Driver Assistance there should be settings for the Road Sign Recognition where you can turn the warning on (visual and audio) and at what speed over the detected speed limit you want.

Mine only has an option to enable it under the instrument display settings. If you get around to getting a screenshot that would be awesome.

NZ_GolfR
09-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Mine only has an option to enable it under the instrument display settings. If you get around to getting a screenshot that would be awesome.

Make sure you have the following option set:

Information Control Unit (5F) > Adaption > Car_Adaptations_Gen2 > menu_display_road_sign_identification > Activated

You should then get this:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/553d154c93ade73657536125feab2900-1.jpg

sharp
10-09-2017, 07:14 PM
You will need to turn on Road Sign Recognition

Off topic. Does RSR also recognise traffic lights? Even better, does it warn you when the light changes to yellow?

kamold
10-09-2017, 08:00 PM
No

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

veew
13-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Information Control Unit (5F) > Adaption > Car_Adaptations_Gen2 > menu_display_road_sign_identification > Activated

That was the missing jigsaw. Works great, thanks muchly!

Eyes24
16-11-2017, 08:00 PM
That was the missing jigsaw. Works great, thanks muchly!

So does this work without any Errors?

veew
24-11-2017, 06:24 AM
So does this work without any Errors?

Sometimes it picks up the wrong speed sign on freeway but that's not a problem with the detention system. The freeway heading into Adelaide has slower speed signs for the trucks which the camera picks up

Rooboy
24-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Around Melbourne it has difficulty with school zones as they include the hours for the 40k limit and, of course, the system can only read the speed not the hours.

ABT 162TSI MK2 Tiguan
28-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Hi all,

There is a really good map app, called waze. It tells you your speed, if there are speed cameras near by, ect.

Wazza 162
20-02-2018, 11:20 AM
I have my18 tiguan but don't have that option, how do I activate it, have the discovery pro info system. Thanks for any info

Rooboy
20-02-2018, 11:41 AM
You can only enable it using OBDeleven or VCDS. If you don't wish to buy one then there maybe someone locally willing to help you out.

Wazza 162
20-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your help

ewok666
20-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Off topic. Does RSR also recognise traffic lights? Even better, does it warn you when the light changes to yellow?
Seriously?

mickofoz
21-02-2018, 08:22 AM
Seriously?

In Germany, Traffic Lights do send out signals to approaching cars and also tells the Start/Stop system to start the engine just before it turns green. There is a setting you can turn on in VCDS but it has no functionality in Australia. The system is still in beta in Germany.

Hillbilly
21-02-2018, 08:48 AM

All cars have that feature Its commonly called "The drivers eyes"

adrianb
21-02-2018, 11:28 AM
In Germany, Traffic Lights do send out signals to approaching cars and also tells the Start/Stop system to start the engine just before it turns green. There is a setting you can turn on in VCDS but it has no functionality in Australia. The system is still in beta in Germany.

That is so cool!

Wazza 162
21-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Does the current tiguan have the necessary camera to facilitate this detection system, living in Adelaide your post took my attention.Do you know coding that would be needed to activate. Thanksp

ewok666
22-02-2018, 08:55 PM

From my understanding it’s more a development stage than a beta but yes, apparently they have a few trials although it’s not so much ‘yellow’ recognition but communicating the remaining ‘green’ time so the car can calculate whether you will make it across the lights.

Grugly
24-02-2018, 10:20 AM
There is a really good map app, called waze. It tells you your speed, if there are speed cameras near by, ect.

Waze also runs on Android auto so you can have it displayed on your centre dash 👍

shanec
05-03-2018, 07:11 PM

1) Can we ask the VW Dealer to turn on this function instead of buying the OBDeleven plugin adapter ?

2) Most other brands Sat Navs 'warn' you if you are over the speed limit via the Sat Navs POI data files that have the speed details

Is there no option in the MY18 VW Highline to upload Sat Nav POI speed data files and have the Sat Nav do a verbal warning when you are over the speed limit ??

Cheers

Grugly
05-03-2018, 08:51 PM
1) Can we ask the VW Dealer to turn on this function instead of buying the OBDeleven plugin adapter?

Funny you mention this.. I had my 1k check up today and asked.. they said that until the Australian government signs off on features and approves them for use they aren't activated.. once they are cleared they are updated at your next VW service.

This is also why people could activate traffic jam assist however came standard as an option on my 18.5 Tig

shanec
05-03-2018, 10:54 PM
Funny you mention this.. I had my 1k check up today and asked.. they said that until the Australian government signs off on features and approves them for use they aren't activated.. once they are cleared they are updated at your next VW service.

This is also why people could activate traffic jam assist however came standard as an option on my 18.5 Tig

Does that mean it was not activated as standard on the MY18 but was activated for the MY18.5 ?

Is there somewhere I can go and pay like $20 to activate the Road Side Recognition instead of buying OBDeleven ?

Grugly
05-03-2018, 11:14 PM
Does that mean it was not activated as standard on the MY18 but was activated for the MY18.5 ?

Is there somewhere I can go and pay like $20 to activate the Road Side Recognition instead of buying OBDeleven ?Scour these forums to find a member or alternatively you can head to a tuning workshop and ask them nicely.

However, if you make any changes its at your own risk and to my understanding the TSR works but doesn't work perfectly and is more of a nice to have than a need to have item.

I'm not an expert on warranty items but it's your call whether that's important to you as well.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Grugly
05-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Scour these forums to find a member or alternatively you can head to a tuning workshop and ask them nicely.

However, if you make any changes its at your own risk and to my understanding the TSR works but doesn't work perfectly and is more of a nice to have than a need to have item.

I'm not an expert on warranty items but it's your call whether that's important to you as well.

Sent from my SM-N950F using TapatalkUnless you mean lane assist.. which should be active in the menu's on a my18 or atleast be available at your first service update

shanec
06-03-2018, 08:54 AM
if you make any changes its at your own risk and to my understanding the TSR works but doesn't work perfectly and is more of a nice to have than a need to have item.

What is TSR ?

I thought this thread was talking about Road Sign Recognition OR similar for notifying the driver of going over the speed limit

brucea
06-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Traffic Jam Assist was standard on my MY18 Tiguan delivered in 08/2017.

Is there somewhere I can go and pay like $20 to activate the Road Side Recognition instead of buying OBDeleven ?

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you? There might be someone not too far from you who is happy to help out.

shanec
06-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Whereabouts in Melbourne are you? There might be someone not too far from you who is happy to help out.

PM'd

Do you know if there is an option in the MY18 VW Highline to upload Sat Nav POI speed data files and have the Sat Nav do a verbal warning when you are over the speed limit ??

brucea
06-03-2018, 11:07 AM
PM'd

Replied.

Do you know if there is an option in the MY18 VW Highline to upload Sat Nav POI speed data files and have the Sat Nav do a verbal warning when you are over the speed limit ??

The MY18 has the option to load POI datafiles but afaik no ability to warn about speed cameras if that's what you mean. If you activate Road Sign Recognition (aka Traffic Sign Recognition) you can set a warning threshold and the car warns when you exceed the currently applicable speed limit by at least that margin. I've got mine set to 5km/h at the moment.

Rooboy
06-03-2018, 01:09 PM
I have mine set for 10 over for a visual warning but no audible. The biggest issues with it reading the signs are around school zones and the occasional problem near freeway off ramps.

shanec
06-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Replied.
The MY18 has the option to load POI datafiles but afaik no ability to warn about speed cameras if that's what you mean. If you activate Road Sign Recognition (aka Traffic Sign Recognition) you can set a warning threshold and the car warns when you exceed the currently applicable speed limit by at least that margin. I've got mine set to 5km/h at the moment.

Is the exceeding the speed warning visual or audible or both ?

Does the Highline have the ability to do an 'audible' warning when you are approaching a fixed speed or red light camera ?

Ozsko
06-03-2018, 07:36 PM
What is TSR ?

I thought this thread was talking about Road Sign Recognition OR similar for notifying the driver of going over the speed limit

That is the problem with some of these driver assist aids, the same thing gets given two or three different names and people get confused, VW even does it in their own hand books.

Rooboy
06-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Is the exceeding the speed warning visual or audible or both ?

Does the Highline have the ability to do an 'audible' warning when you are approaching a fixed speed or red light camera ?

You have the option of both audible and visual over speed warnings. I'm not aware of any warnings for speed/red light cameras.

shanec
06-03-2018, 08:08 PM
I'm not aware of any warnings for speed/red light cameras.

That's crazy :(

My 6 year old car has speed / red light camera warnings as standard

I can even set my 6 year old car to warn me of certain POI such as school crossings and the like

brucea
06-03-2018, 08:49 PM
This thread explains how to process and import a list of speed and red light camera POIs (personally I use a dashcam and it alerts me).
Speed and Red lights Cameras POIs Australia - MIB ii
(http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/speed-red-lights-cameras-pois-australia-mib-ii-109269.html)
Edit: And this is a good link too:
MIB II - Custom POI's / Speed Cameras etc
(http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?27941-MIB-II-Custom-POI-s-Speed-Cameras-etc)

shanec
06-03-2018, 10:12 PM
This thread explains how to process and import a list of speed and red light camera POIs (personally I use a dashcam and it alerts me).
Speed and Red lights Cameras POIs Australia - MIB ii
(http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/speed-red-lights-cameras-pois-australia-mib-ii-109269.html)
Edit: And this is a good link too:
MIB II - Custom POI's / Speed Cameras etc
(http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?27941-MIB-II-Custom-POI-s-Speed-Cameras-etc)

That was great info Bruce :cool:

1) What does MIB stand for ?

2) Once I have loaded the POI data, does the Highline make an 'audible' alert PRIOR to the speed camera ?

brucea
07-03-2018, 07:31 AM
That was great info Bruce :cool:

1) What does MIB stand for ?

It's the Discover Pro. MIB stands for Modularer Infotainment Baukasten in German which means Modular Infotainment Matrix. MIB II is the 2nd generation of the platform.

2) Once I have loaded the POI data, does the Highline make an 'audible' alert PRIOR to the speed camera ?

I don't know how far from the POI it dings (as I haven't tried importing POIs) but you can set POIs to ding when you are near them. Look at the vwgolf forum thread step 4 and see the Annäherung Information tickbox (Annäherung means approaching apparently).

OZROD
07-03-2018, 11:51 AM
So I tried this out and there are a few things that aren't quite right.

First, the VW website to create the POI file has moved to: POI-Listen Sammlung < Discover Pro < Volkswagen NAV-Companion < Volkswagen Deutschland (http://rollout.volkswagen.de/content/de/brand/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html)
Second, the file won't load, so there's a workaround here: Custom POI new 9.2&quot; Discover Pro (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f235/custom-poi-new-9-2-discover-pro-122279.html)

Also, the recommended image for the cameras looks like a European one so I created this if you want to use it. BTW, the tool will resize to 39x39 pixels so whatever image you use seems a bit small.

OZROD
07-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Also, you get a funny little ping about 20m before the camera...

shanec
07-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Also, you get a funny little ping about 20m before the camera...

Thanks Ozrod

In my 6 year old car I get notifications at least 200m, 100m, 50m then the beep sequence accelerates if I am nearing a speed camera and I am over the speed limit (i.e. slow beeps to rapid beeps)

This tells the driver that you are about to get snapped if they don't slow down immediately
20m does not seem like much ... I really can't decelerate from 100km/h to 60km/h in 20m :emo_baghead:

mickofoz
07-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Don‘t speed in the first place :emo_baghead:

shanec
07-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Don‘t speed in the first place

It's not me ... it's the car... it has a mind of its own

Seriously, is there no way via OMBD11 or VCDS to increase the notification distance of the warning of the Speed Camera POI to be more than 20m ?

OZROD
08-03-2018, 06:12 AM
I couldn’t find anything. It’s not actually trying to warn about an upcoming camera, more telling you that you’ve arrived at a POI... I looked through the metadata with the POI file and couldn’t see anything so I guess it’s just part of the standard POI program. Maybe it can be changed via OBDC?

shanec
08-03-2018, 02:01 PM
I couldn’t find anything. It’s not actually trying to warn about an upcoming camera, more telling you that you’ve arrived at a POI... I looked through the metadata with the POI file and couldn’t see anything so I guess it’s just part of the standard POI program. Maybe it can be changed via OBDC?

Don't know about OBCD, hoping someone can answer this one.

Wonder why some car companies have systems that warn you well in advance of speed camera but VAG does not ...

Wonder if it would be easy to create dummy speed camera POI that are 200m, 100m before the actual POI :rolleyes:

FastMitch
19-04-2019, 05:40 PM

You should then get this:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/553d154c93ade73657536125feab2900-1.jpg

I don't see Traffic Sign Recognition in the 2019 Tiguan Highline Discover Pro settings

Has it been removed ?

Grugly
19-04-2019, 05:55 PM
I don't see Traffic Sign Recognition in the 2019 Tiguan Highline Discover Pro settings

Has it been removed ?Needs to be coded with obdeleven or vcds.

Also doesn't work perfectly in Australia but works well enough for standard road signs.

FastMitch
19-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Needs to be coded with obdeleven or vcds.

Also doesn't work perfectly in Australia but works well enough for standard road signs.

Thanks Grugly

Looks like I will need to buy one of these code systems

Do you know which one is better ?

Grugly
19-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Thanks Grugly

Looks like I will need to buy one of these code systems

Do you know which one is better ?Vcds is expensive and is used by car workshops etc for diagnostics..

Obdeleven is more of a consumer tool and depending on your tech comfort level is probably the more affordable option.

Can get obdeleven through autoinstruct only in Aus.

Transporter
19-04-2019, 11:03 PM
^
What he said. Though the OBD11 works only as long as you’re connected to internet, which can be limitation.