PDA

View Full Version : Android App - VW connect

Ozsko
05-09-2017, 07:17 PM
I have obtained one of these from the UK.... YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CujQVL68FTE)

Don't be fooled, VW are giving these away to owners in the UK and perhaps Europe and the only reason they would be doing that is to harvest data. I think it will work without the network but I can't find the app in the Google Playstore and wonder if apps are region locked so in Oz we can't get it. Does anyone know if apps can be region locked? I am just interested on what car data it will send to my phone or tablet and if there is any more stuff it will do that the built in systems don't.

R1911
06-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Right in one, VW for this app has chosen not to publish it in this region, you would need to change your locale to the UK or Europe in order to download the app, once you have the app on your phone you should be ok and can change back to your normal region. (it's a right royal pain to do this). If memory serves app updates will also cease for apps that aren't in your regions store.

Also the app might also do a geo check to see if it's in the right region, so it might fail to load also just because of that.

Ozsko
06-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info, bloody spoil sports, I suppose I could frame it and nail it to the workshop wall! I wonder, if my tablet was in the UK would it load as I might be able to organise that or I suppose I could just use a VPN and load it that way. I must admit I know next to nothing about mobile apps, can they somehow be sent between mobile devices or perhaps emailed as an attachment or something like that?

GeeMoney
06-09-2017, 10:01 PM
I Know it should be possible with Android to download Apps from other sources then the Google Playstore and just install it on your phone manually. But I don't have android so I cannot help you on this.

kamold
06-09-2017, 10:29 PM
In security settings allow unknown sources then download the APK

VW Connect Apk Download latest version 1.7- com.volkswagen.VWConnect (http://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.volkswagen.VWConnect)

Install it then turn off unknown sources again.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Ozsko
06-09-2017, 10:44 PM
Thanks, I will give it a go.

Ozsko
06-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Kamold, I DL'd it and when it tries to install it gives an error message of >There is a problem parsing the package< My version of Android on this tablet is very old, could that be a problem?

Ozsko
06-09-2017, 11:28 PM
I used another tablet and the app installed no problems except it is in Spanish?? but I'll give it a go, maybe it has multiple language choices.

kamold
07-09-2017, 07:57 AM
I thought it was french? ;)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Ozsko
07-09-2017, 10:29 AM
So did I but my linguistic skills are somewhat rusty these days.