PDA

View Full Version : How to raise a Tiguan

sVWatt
03-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Has anyone raised the suspension on their 2nd Gen Tig yet?

Looking for a mild lift to offset the r-line front lip, and lower profile / reduce ground clearance.

Found these and interested in others thoughts....

SPACCER car lift kit / suspension lifting kits - lift your VW Tiguan (https://www.spaccer.com/en_AU/makes-and-models/vw/tiguan.html)

I like the idea of a 12mm lift front and back, to bring the car back to 200mm clearance

theresanothersteve
04-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Mate, why would you want to raise the Tig?

If, as you imply, you have an R-Line you've paid good money for adaptive suspension and now are going to undo the handling goodness.

One avenue you might explore is fitting larger diameter tyres. At least that way you can have lift and aggressive tyres when you are looking at paddock work and return to manufacturer's spec when you want to use the Tig as a road car. I suspect it would help resale as well...

sVWatt
04-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Why?
Because in R line form, it's sub 200mm ground clearance.

The suspension comprises of steel springs, and magnetically adjustable dampers/shock absorbers. The Adaptive Chassis Control, only influences the damper resistance by way of varying the electromagnetic properties. Raising the springs makes no difference to that process.

A G force sensor and steering wheel potentiometer provide input to the chassis control and it adjusts various parameters based on that.

It works in a similar way to the Audi system and various people have lowered those without issue.

At most the g force cornering input will increase as the vehicle is slightly taller.
In the soft road settings, the damper valve is set to maximum open, allowing the softest most fluid articulation.

Mate, why would you want to raise the Tig?

If, as you imply, you have an R-Line you've paid good money for adaptive suspension and now are going to undo the handling goodness.

One avenue you might explore is fitting larger diameter tyres. At least that way you can have lift and aggressive tyres when you are looking at paddock work and return to manufacturer's spec when you want to use the Tig as a road car. I suspect it would help resale as well...

theresanothersteve
05-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Yes, I know all that...

In that case do yourself a favour and try to locate some polyurethane spacers. Some have a lifetime guarantee (for what its worth). They don't rust or chafe like aluminium, there is no chance of electrolysis, and there are NVH benefits.

Keep in mind ground clearance is the lowest point on the vehicle, usually the diff centre, transmission, sump, or something else below the body work. You can raise the body but that won't give you increased ground clearance if the clearance is something else.

My choice would be tyres, low profile is not the best if you are trying to exploit ground clearance so yo might benefit for something with a higher profile. If you reduce the rim size you might end up with something closer to a more traditional multi purpose tyre that lasts longer (low profile usually being softer rubber) and is cheaper to replace. You can also consider offset at the same time to see if you can get enough clearance for diagonal snow chains.

My concern with the adaptive suspension is spacers work by preloading the suspension, resulting in stiffer spring rates. If you fit stiffer springs you will usually change your damping rates but the control unit for your suspension will still be adjusting for standard springs. I know it won't make much difference, but it seems a waste of the premium paid.

Ozsko
06-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Raising the car could have an effect on the ride height sensor that controls the headlight aiming. I think someone lowered a Skoda?? and the ride height sensor had to be re-positioned. The reason I did not get an R Line was the ride height and the wheel size. For me low profile tyres are the pits, bad ride control and easily damaged.

sVWatt
07-09-2017, 08:39 AM
I'm going to go with purchase smaller alloys and adding 17 or 18" off road tyres, and see how that sits.
If its too tight on the wheel arches I'll look into a 1cm lift with the spacers.

I'll keep the low profile tyres on for everyday stuff, and swap wheels when I'm going trail riding.

I did a tyre and 2cm lift on my last SUV and got an 8cm overall lift :)
- did need to reset the wheel camber though!

theresanothersteve
07-09-2017, 08:59 AM
I'm going to go with purchase smaller alloys and adding 17 or 18" off road tyres, and see how that sits.
If its too tight on the wheel arches I'll look into a 1cm lift with the spacers.

I'll keep the low profile tyres on for everyday stuff, and swap wheels when I'm going trail riding.

I did a tyre and 2cm lift on my last SUV and got an 8cm overall lift :)
- did need to reset the wheel camber though!
I'm thinking about a Tig for my next car, and that's been part of what I'm thinking about doing.

Please don't think I've been critical of your plans, I've been interested in your thinking. I've been modifying cars for more years than I care to remember but the day I don't learn anything is the day they can bury me (or incinerate me, won't matter much to me).

I'm torn between R Line or a mid spec diesel that can be massaged for better off road ability, but as we also have a Discovery I don't think I'll chase off road ability, just be happy the R Line has improved traction for when thinks get a bit hairy around home.

Let us know how the tyre change alternative works...

sVWatt
07-09-2017, 12:12 PM
same thoughts I had. Decided that city driving was the primary function so R-Line made sense (read looked good). Decided the torque delivery on the TSI was better, as it comes on earlier than the TDI. Noting of course the overall TDI torque level is higher.

I had optional tyres on my Suzuki GV - Coopers AT - which was great for river crossings and muddy hill climbs. I'll get milder ones for the Tig as forest trails and streams will be more the go :)

I'm torn between R Line or a mid spec diesel that can be massaged for better off road ability, but as we also have a Discovery I don't think I'll chase off road ability, just be happy the R Line has improved traction for when thinks get a bit hairy around home.

Jamesziak
03-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Hey guys, I have an R Line and against what everyone is saying, it’s going to get lifted and I’m getting the front bar they have over seas to replace the low lip it currently has, myself and my local tyreshop are currently scratching our heads over what tyres and wheels to get, and how much lift it needs to afford clearance for some nice enough off road tyres. Not looking for anyone telling me about ride height sensors and all that, I know all of that and it’s something I’ll work out with the local experts when I get there, if that badly effecting the overall drive of the car.

Nyer
08-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Hey guys, I have an R Line and against what everyone is saying, it’s going to get lifted and I’m getting the front bar they have over seas to replace the low lip it currently has, myself and my local tyreshop are currently scratching our heads over what tyres and wheels to get, and how much lift it needs to afford clearance for some nice enough off road tyres. Not looking for anyone telling me about ride height sensors and all that, I know all of that and it’s something I’ll work out with the local experts when I get there, if that badly effecting the overall drive of the car.

How did you end up going with this? I bought the R-Line cause the black piano finish looked really nice compared to the standard. Only later did I realise I'd lost ground clearance because of it

REXman
08-01-2020, 11:30 PM
I'm thinking about a Tig for my next car, and that's been part of what I'm thinking about doing.

Please don't think I've been critical of your plans, I've been interested in your thinking. I've been modifying cars for more years than I care to remember but the day I don't learn anything is the day they can bury me (or incinerate me, won't matter much to me).

Let us know how the tyre change alternative works...

Get an R line my friend in the petrol. No contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk