PDA

View Full Version : Skodas and tow bars

PWM
18-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Asked dealer about tow bars for the Octavia wagon is Australia and was quoted $1,000 "because it takes 5 hours to fit". Told it was a Hayman Reese bar. Called HR and was told they haven't developed a bar as not enough demand and no request from VW. If they started one now would take a couple of months at least with compliance folders. Has anyone fitted a bar yet, who made it, and what was the cost?

DanSA
19-01-2008, 08:27 AM
I think a lot of their accessories are still in homogenation stage, meaning they are not fully developed and priced. It's early days i guess and they are still testing the market.

$1,100 is a pretty good price. I looked at putting one on our Golf (retrofit) and min price was $1,450. :o

Mischa
19-01-2008, 08:30 AM
its not just the fitting, its the electronics with the control module for the lights on the trailer. yes i was also told 1500 from my dealer for my golf.

gregozedobe
19-01-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure, but think it might also need another electrical control module added to tell the ESP there is a trailer on the back, so it can help you not crash properly.

Transporter
02-09-2009, 03:51 PM
I’m just curios what tow bar did you people get?
A friend of mine bought a secondhand (done 10,000km) Octavia wagon 1.9TDI DSG and he is looking to get one fitted.

TuNeS
02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I got quoted $1500 as well. Each dealer said it was a big job. However I got it bundled into the sale of the car and got it cheaper. Apprently it is a Hayman Reece bar and the removable bar that you see in the Euro accessories guide is not permitted in australia.

I will find out how it all goes when I get the car soon.

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I received this from Hayman Reese when I enquired on a towbar for a Skoda Octavia:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding a towbar fitment for a Skoda Octavia. We currently do not have a listing for a towbar on that vehicle, we do have it on our development schedule but no time frame as yet to when we will have a design complete and ready for release. Genuine Skoda may be your only option at this stage

TuNeS
03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
has anybody in Australia actually got a tow bar fitted to an Octavia vRS or non vRS yet?

TuNeS
03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
A guy here at work has cleared up something for me. Apparently, 'Hayman Reece' is often used to describe the style of tow bar that Hayman Reece makes. Kinda like us Aussie's calling a cooler an 'Esky'. Just terminology that has stuck

That might explain why it was refered to as a Hayman Reece. When I was shopping for the car, all three dealers said the bar wasnt a problem. I am just yet to see a picture of what one fitted looks like or even hear about someone who has one.

dazag
03-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Ok, this is what I've heard with the tow bars.

You order a new car and have it optioned for a tow bar - it comes from the factory ( Overseas) with the wiring loom from the ECU to the rear of the car. Then all it needs is the locally sourced tow bar and final loom to be fitted to the car and the ECU re-programmed ( to turn Reverse Sensors off and slight program change for engine mapping and safety features for when towing ) by your local dealership.

If you buy a car off the show room floor and it doens;t already have this loom in, then they need to pull a fair bit of the flooring/paneling up to run the loom from the ECU to the rear of the car. Hence the extra cost or variation in costs between vehicles - some already have the loom some dont.

A guy at work has a recently purchased pre FL Octavia 1.9 Sedan and had a tow bar fitted - it does look similar to a haymen reese bar, in that it looks like a tidy fitment, doesn;t look out of place, but I wasn;t fully aware of what brand of towbar it was.

I pick up my FL Octavia Wagon 2.0 TDI DSG next week and it has a tow bar fitted. will tae pics and take down the info and post it up for ya's later next week

gerhard
03-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Yep, gone are the days of bolting a piece of angle iron to the rear bumper of the HQ with a towball on it ....

Now we have reverse sensors, ABS, ESP, CANBUS, maybe even the deceleration sensors for airbags, etc are affected by towing, not to mention the super lightweight wiring that can't be tapped into.

These electronics are getting so sophisticated, it probably won't be long before the weight, no. of axles, and whether the trailer has brakes, will have to be programmed into the ABS/ESP ECU so it knows how to attempt to correct a swerve or a jack-knife.

JP_Aircooled_TDi
03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
My Elegance wagon was ordered (new) with the tow bar option, but this was dealer fitted.

The actual tow bar says "Best Bars". From memory, I think it was an extra 1200 supplied and fitted.

Cheers,

JP

IBN
04-09-2009, 10:52 PM
'08 Scout with a Best Bars hitch. All good except for a bulb failure warning when the trailer attached due to the fact that we don't run separate feeds to the taillights. I had EXACTLY the same deal with my Audi A3. Both cars had the sockets and connections to access the CANBUS so that the loom and relays could be fitted. A bit of VAG-COM magic and all is done. Simple. Shame that we are taken for such a ride as far as the prices are concerned.
Cheers,
Ivars

woofy
05-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Just watch, all VAG cars seem to have a very low deadweight on the towballs due to the chassis design...so they can pull the weight, but the towball etc itself is not as strong as usual....

donweather
19-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Thread revival!!

Looking at getting a towbar for my Octavia vRS wagon. Anyone got the european style towbar installed? I like the fact you can take the swanneck off and practically not see the towbar.

Anyone got any recommendations for towbar installers in brisbane? Thinking of Speedy Towbars in Everton Hills?

donweather
19-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Just got a supply and install quote from Speedy for their Euro towbar.........wait for it........$1850!!!! Geezus!!!

Looking at ironbull now, but have not heard (read) good reports about them?

Hillbilly
19-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Just got a supply and install quote from Speedy for their Euro towbar.........wait for it........$1850!!!! Geezus!!!

Looking at ironbull now, but have not heard (read) good reports about them?

Just make sure whatever you get it is ADR compliant and has the correct sticker welded to it.

roshea
19-12-2013, 05:26 PM
I recently got a Hayman Reese bar installed. I looked into Ironbull but the timing wasn't right and I wasn't convinced that I wanted the connector hanging below the bar - backing out of my driveway is borderline for scraping at the best of times so I didn't want to make this worse. The place I went to (Hayman Reese approved place in Prahran, VIC) gave me the option of the HR and the "official" Skoda one, which is from Bestbars (http://www.bestbars.co.nz/) - also has a connector that hangs below the bar (no cutting required but sits lower).

External view of my car now - some cutting of the bumper was needed but it looks neat:

Internal - flat wiring that can be stored in the spare wheel

I haven't used it yet but I tested the lighting board on my bike rack and it all works. Note - I didn't test in reverse and I don't have rear parking sensors.

Bestbars connector looks like this (can't find a picture, but it looks like the Ironbull one when the tongue is not attached):

Edit: there are some pics of the Bestbars one here:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f149/octavia-wagon-tow-pack-43298.html#post489701

Edit 2: this might be the Bestbars one as well:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f149/octavia-wagon-tow-pack-43298.html#post489701

CandyWhite_RS
19-12-2013, 06:09 PM
I have just had a Hayman Reese toe bar fitted to my vRS hatchback it cost a $1160 supplied & fitted was done my the local trailer place in Charmhaven [Central Coast NSW] but was also quoted about $1500 from 2 places in Gosford. Also Hatman Reese only make from 2010 onwards, will post pics later. They did a great job fitting it

dportaz
19-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Yeh I got an actual HR tow bar fitted to my Mk5 GTI around 5 years ago for $1000, so im guessing around $1200-$1500 is an accurate price.

I want a tow bar on my VRS badly... so helpful...

wfdTamar
20-12-2013, 07:17 AM
This is a better thread about tow bars

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f149/octavia-towbar-blues-64192.html

Mysticality
20-12-2013, 08:00 AM
The HR has been on my wish list for some time, and I reckon it'll be the next big purchase.

I love the HR style and I can then put the TREG hitch on the camper trailer because - hot-swap tow bar! :D

VRSJas
20-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Bought one of the euro style bars with the swan neck for my Mk2 from towbars australia ( Towbars Australia - We Deliver (http://towbarsaustralia.com.au)) they had to source it from the UK.

Fitting the bar wasn't that hard I haven't attempted the wiring yet. I think that will be a over the xmas break job.
All up cost me a little over $800 delivered with the trailer relay and wiring kit so I don't get a bulb warning light.
Very easy mob to deal with.

Installing the bar took about 1.5h Im guessing the wiring will take that as well.

CandyWhite_RS
20-12-2013, 04:11 PM
The wiring was the longest part when mine was fitted by the trailer place, make sure that there aren't any worn or blown globes as they will play havoc with the install, I had a couple of worn globes

Denny1604
29-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Hi, l have an Octavia Wagon, l have been given several delivery dates for the tow bar since l purchased my Octavia in March of this year and when l tried Skoda Aust. l got a very spin doctor answer such as "we are looking at it and will have somthing out soon etc", the usual spin doctor statements. Skoda needs to pull its finger out and pull it together if it doesn't want to "loose" potential customers because lets face it we all look at the internet before we purchase and return business, word of mouth is how it works ..... so Skoda your not looking too good. As far as price its interesting if you go to the Czech Skoda site and do a conversion etc, with regards the accessory parts such as mud flaps, l was quoted $150 to buy and put the four mud flaps on the car.... !!!

Smart1
29-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Yep, last I heard about towbars (last Friday) is that it will be August, but they will be "Genuine" ones, not the Best Bars ones from earlier models. From what I have been told Skoda has decided to use the parts which are their OEM versions.

As for the mud flaps, i had them fitted pre-delivery from the dealer for $45, which is better than the pre-shipping price out of anywhere.

brad
30-07-2014, 09:38 AM
LOL-ing at the new Skoda owners that suddenly realise that Skoda AU are hopeless and Skoda parts in AU are stupidly overpriced.

No offense guys but it's funny seeing the new people come in a regurgitate what's been said a thousand times since 2007.

Thank goodness the cars are better than the management company.

GTR27
30-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Skoda AU are useless......I dream of treatment like they get in the UK.

But the long and the short of it, if you want to own a euro car in oz, do lots of research, and be prepared to buy parts from overseas, to avoid the "australia tax" (that lots of people pay because they are too lazy to look on the net, or ill-informed). If you do your research, buy the spares from overseas and have a good relationship with a local mechanic, euro's cost very similar to other cars to maintain/modify. Plus you get the bonus of nicer to drive!

Skooter
02-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Been there, done that (fitted towbar). From what I've heard ALL Skodas imported into Oz have the wiring factory-fitted to the Rr of the car - all that's required is a short section to the hitch and connect to a multi-pin plug (mine came with 'incompatible' wiring - for Genmany instead of UK - but managed to sort out what was what and it is all good). The reverse sensors are supposed to turn off but they don't. Instructions explicitly say not to alter the diag settings in the CPU. I don't use a trailer enough to worry about the sensors.

Quotes prices were over the top, went with Jeff at Ironbull but I believe he's off the radar as of some months now. Purchase price with wiring and control unit wasn't too bad ($650). Found an excellent thread on Briskoda for removing the lining in the Rr and fitting the wiring harness was a bit of a hassle, but would be a breeze now that I've done one and seen how the bumper and lining comes out. $1500 is a joke. Mine is the swan-neck variety. Might not have the AS sticker, but have read on this forum that EU standards are accepted for Australia.

Smart1
02-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Skooter, be careful, not all EU standards are accepted in OZ. If the towbar is not AS compliant and something happens then at the very least your insurance company will not accept a claim arrising from its failure and you would be held liable for anything arrising from the failure.

Smart1
05-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Skoda Aus MkIII towbars are available. They come from Prof Svar s.r.o. out of Czech Republic with OZ certification, complete with Euro quick release phallic ball. The removable ball even fits into the spare wheel area inside the foam tool carrier section. Wiring socket folds up when not in use too.

Gerrycan
06-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Skoda Aus MkIII towbars are available. They come from Prof Svar s.r.o. out of Czech Republic with OZ certification, complete with Euro quick release phallic ball. The removable ball even fits into the spare wheel area inside the foam tool carrier section. Wiring socket folds up when not in use too.

And the 64,000 dollar question is.....hopefully not that expensive?

Lawson123
06-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Quick questions on tow bars mine is factory fit and has a 13 pin connector? I'm trying to find an adaptor to a 7 pin flatbar, need to sort it before next weekend would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. Super cheap etc gave me a quizical look when I went in and asked.

Cheers,
Andrew

donweather
06-09-2014, 07:10 AM
You can get this one

Truck Waterproof Towbar Towing Socket 13 TO 7 PIN Trailer Electric Adapter Plug | eBay (http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/150883116662?index=0&nav=SEARCH&sbk=1)

And then get the 7 pin round to 7 pin flat from supercheap.

Just not sure if you'll get the ebay one from Hong Kong before next weekend but!!!

donweather
06-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Here's an Aussie one.

Electronic Adapter 13 PIN TO 7 PIN Trailer Caravan Towbar Socket Plug FXE09 | eBay (http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/291162477179?nav=SEARCH)

Smart1
06-09-2014, 08:43 AM
For those wondering, the towbar is around the $1500 mark. Not the cheapest bar in the world by any means, but a lot easier to insert and remove then the Best Bars versions that they used to fit.

The wiring socket is the 13 pin version, yes, but comes with the 13-7 pin flat connector. According to my invoice it is Skoda #SKH13R7FA and $94.22 + GST.

GeeMatt
06-09-2014, 09:20 AM
For those wondering, the towbar is around the $1500 mark. Not the cheapest bar in the world by any means, but a lot easier to insert and remove then the Best Bars versions that they used to fit.

The wiring socket is the 13 pin version, yes, but comes with the 13-7 pin flat connector. According to my invoice it is Skoda #SKH13R7FA and $94.22 + GST.

Any pics ?

Smart1
06-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Here are some pics.

Everything appears to work properly, reversing sensors disable, trailer appears in display, trailer indicator lights appear in display, fog lights disable.

GTR27
06-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I love the fact its very well integrated (and can store the bar in the car itself).....but man that looks very phallic......

donweather
06-09-2014, 01:38 PM
The light connection hangs very low below the car and on the RS I reckon you'd damage that fairly easily going in and out of steep driveways etc.

Smart1
06-09-2014, 01:54 PM
It pushes up out of the way when not in use and can pe moved up a reasonable amount when the plug is in as well.

brad
06-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Quick questions on tow bars mine is factory fit and has a 13 pin connector? I'm trying to find an adaptor to a 7 pin flatbar, need to sort it before next weekend would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. Super cheap etc gave me a quizical look when I went in and asked.

Cheers,
Andrew
Adaptor should have been supplied with towbar.

For those with scraperage issues, just keep the wiring in the boot & hang it out the back when in use.

gwk
06-09-2014, 02:02 PM
I love the fact its very well integrated (and can store the bar in the car itself).....but man that looks very phallic......

It just needs some of these:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/timthumbphpw307h230zc1srchttp3A2F2Fwwwbu-1.jpghttp://www.bulls-balls.com/images/bn-ivory.jpg

Lawson123
06-09-2014, 09:29 PM
It just needs some of these:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/timthumbphpw307h230zc1srchttp3A2F2Fwwwbu-1.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

I had truck nuts on my falcon :) doesn't look right on the skoda

I bought mine 2nd hand and no cable supplied, have ordered an adapter to a round pin on ebay hope it turns up in time otherwise I will have borrow my old falcon

Mysticality
07-09-2014, 08:04 AM
I'm mostly a fan of that... I'm especially a fan of the 13-pin plug!
I assume it does all things, like rear fog lights and tail lights individually etc? That'd be great :)

Smart1
07-09-2014, 10:46 AM
I think it does everything, including Fog and reversing lights. I'm not sure whether it has the dedicated permanent power supply, I know that was an extra option when I had my Superb.

Just checked, yes there are three wires missing from the 13 pin socket, these are the switched and permanent active and earth. I won't be using them so it doesn't really matter to me.

R1 Crasher
07-09-2014, 09:36 PM
I think it does everything, including Fog and reversing lights. I'm not sure whether it has the dedicated permanent power supply, I know that was an extra option when I had my Superb.

Just checked, yes there are three wires missing from the 13 pin socket, these are the switched and permanent active and earth. I won't be using them so it doesn't really matter to me.

I have the Westfalia towbar fitted. I also have the 13 pin to 12 pin plug for our European caravan.It allows power for the fridge and caravan from the car through the permanent live.(Have the seperate auxlliary cable to connect direct to the battery). Works like an Anderson plug without the need for extra wiring to the rear of the car

Gerrycan
07-09-2014, 10:56 PM
I have the Westfalia towbar fitted. I also have the 13 pin to 12 pin plug for our European caravan.It allows power for the fridge and caravan from the car through the permanent live.(Have the seperate auxlliary cable to connect direct to the battery). Works like an Anderson plug without the need for extra wiring to the rear of the car

Would it be impolite to ask how much your Westfalia towbar cost? Did you install yourself or was it done professionally?

Lawson123
08-09-2014, 10:59 AM
For anyone else in my predicament try an Audi dealer, I sourced one through Sydney City Audi cost $94 (ouch)

Cheers,
Lawson

brad
08-09-2014, 11:48 AM
For anyone else in my predicament try an Audi dealer, I sourced one through Sydney City Audi cost $94 (ouch)

Cheers,
Lawson

Could you have done it with a 13 round to 7 pin round adaptor (about $20) and a 7 pin round to 7 pin flat adaptor (another $20)?

Did you tear the spare wheel well apart & look in the deepest darkest confines of the glovebox & the storage area under the passengers seat?

Slightly better value for others in the same boat

Trailer Plug Adaptor 13 Pin Round to 7 Pin Flat (http://megatyre.co.nz/content/2013/07/trailer-plug-adaptor-13-pin-round-to-7-pin-flat/)

Lawson123
08-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Could you have done it with a 13 round to 7 pin round adaptor (about $20) and a 7 pin round to 7 pin flat adaptor (another $20)?

Did you tear the spare wheel well apart & look in the deepest darkest confines of the glovebox & the storage area under the passengers seat?

Slightly better value for others in the same boat

Trailer Plug Adaptor 13 Pin Round to 7 Pin Flat (http://megatyre.co.nz/content/2013/07/trailer-plug-adaptor-13-pin-round-to-7-pin-flat/)

I did and ordered of fleabay as well but need to have it before the weekend or no track day which I'm within cancellation deadline for.

good find on that I scoured google and couldn't find anything

R1 Crasher
08-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Would it be impolite to ask how much your Westfalia towbar cost? Did you install yourself or was it done professionally?

Got mine from PF Jones Witter Tow bars, Westfalia Towbars, Price Promise all Tow bars. Eberspacher Main Dealer (http://www.pfjones.co.uk/)

All up including the dedicated wiring about $800.I did the install myself.

Westfalia Australia will soon have this same bar available here,
but more expensive than the one I got even including the postage ,which took three days from ordering to arrive at my house!

Gerrycan
08-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Got mine from PF Jones Witter Tow bars, Westfalia Towbars, Price Promise all Tow bars. Eberspacher Main Dealer (http://www.pfjones.co.uk/)

All up including the dedicated wiring about $800.I did the install myself.

Westfalia Australia will soon have this same bar available here,
but more expensive than the one I got even including the postage ,which took three days from ordering to arrive at my house!

Thanks, that is much more reasonable.

Paul_R
22-10-2014, 08:16 AM
So has anyone found a 50mm square hitch option for the new Octavia? My wife wants a Thule swing away bike carrier, the type that swings with the bikes on it as opposed to tilting out of the way when empty, and they only work on hitch type bars. Can't fit them on a ball. Dealer says square hitch types don't comply with ADR for what it's worth. No idea if that's true or not. He is a car salesman.

donweather
22-10-2014, 09:42 AM
So has anyone found a 50mm square hitch option for the new Octavia? My wife wants a Thule swing away bike carrier, the type that swings with the bikes on it as opposed to tilting out of the way when empty, and they only work on hitch type bars. Can't fit them on a ball. Dealer says square hitch types don't comply with ADR for what it's worth. No idea if that's true or not. He is a car salesman.
I've got a 40mm square hitch HR towbar on my Mk 2. But as I found out, the hitch bike carriers don't fit this as they use the 50mm square. You'll struggle to get a 50mm square hitch on an Occy as these are the higher load rated hitches for which the Occy isn't designed for. HR wouldn't even contemplate putting the 50mm hitch on mine and said only the Load Class 2 hitch (I think its class 2 - 40mm) is the only compliant towbar (square hitch) for the Occy.

brad
22-10-2014, 09:49 AM
I can't see how it can't comply with the ADR. Don't most of the Heavy Duty HR towbars come with 50mm square hitches? That's what my wife's 18 month old Craptiva has.

donweather
22-10-2014, 11:26 AM
I can't see how it can't comply with the ADR. Don't most of the Heavy Duty HR towbars come with 50mm square hitches? That's what my wife's 18 month old Craptiva has.

My understanding is that the Occy tow limits set by Skoda determine what HR can and can't put on the car. Skoda don't rate the Occy for HR's 50mm hitch. They only rate the Occy for the 40mm hitch (lighter ball weight and unbraked towing capacity).

This is what HR would only install on my Occy
Reese Light (RL) Towbars Class 3 - Reese Light (RL) Towbars Class 3 - hayman reese (http://www.haymanreese.com.au/products/reese-light-rl-towbars-class-3)

Most larger vehicles get this HR installed, which is the 50mm hitch which is what most if not all hitch type bike racks fit.
Heavy Duty Towbars Class 4 - Heavy Duty Towbars Class 4 - hayman reese (http://www.haymanreese.com.au/products/heavy-duty-towbars-class-4)

And the HR webiste confirms that the above light towbar is the only part they will sell/install for the Occy.
Hayman Reese - 02729RLW - haymanreese (http://www.haymanreese.com.au/parts/02729rlw)

wfdTamar
22-10-2014, 11:48 AM

There's a Westfalia bike carrier (BC 60) that fits on the gooseneck ball type tow bar. Swings down and has light and number plate bar. Pretty sure I found it from OS for around $500-600.

Cycle Carrier BC 60 – Westfalia-Automotive (http://www.westfalia-automotive.com/uk/products/cycle-carriers/bc-60-cycle-carrier/)

One Australian place that has them (not sure of price, I think around $900!)
Westfalia | Melbourne Towbars (http://melbournetowbars.com.au/westfalia)

Paul_R
22-10-2014, 11:49 AM
I thought as much. Thanks. I'll have to look for another bike rack option that can tilt or swing off a ball fitting. Most tilt options say the bikes must be taken off first, as does the Thule one, but then the instructions go on to describe how to do it with the bikes on. It does have a picture of an arm with very big bicep beside that diagram though...

BTW I need a 4 bike rack.

brad
22-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Ah.
So the salesman made a statement of fact but wrongly attributed the reason why.

brad
22-10-2014, 12:20 PM
If you go with a 4 bike rack ensure the bike rack has sufficient weight carrying ability.
The max ball weight on the Craptiva is 200kg and the Outback was 180kg and the bike rack was 80kg max weight of bikes.

If you've got 4 good bikes then it's fine but if they are k-mart specials then they are likely to be heavy dungers.

My 2007 full suspension x-country bike was cutting edge in it's day & weighs 16kg with pump/tools, underseat carrier, etc. My daughters Merida is 17kg & the other 2 bikes are big, cheap porkers.

roshea
23-10-2014, 07:16 AM
I thought as much. Thanks. I'll have to look for another bike rack option that can tilt or swing off a ball fitting. Most tilt options say the bikes must be taken off first, as does the Thule one, but then the instructions go on to describe how to do it with the bikes on. It does have a picture of an arm with very big bicep beside that diagram though...

The Thule Euroclassic (http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=94&listid=2&slistid=&seo=Thule_929_EuroClassic_G6_3_Bike) (3-bike) carrier might suit your needs. You can get a 4th bike add-on (http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=683&listid=2&slistid=&seo=Thule_9281_EuroClassic_3rd/4th_Bike_Add-On&menuid=&submenuid=) for it. I have the model below this (Euroway), which clamps to a towball attached to my HR 40 mm hitch and folds down for access to the rear of my wagon.

donweather
23-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Wow that's an impressive Thule bike rack but bugger me the price is outrageous!!!

roshea
23-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Wow that's an impressive Thule bike rack but bugger me the price is outrageous!!!

Yep, you'd want to be using it a lot to spend that much. I think the Euroway (now their 2nd model down) was the only one of that type they offered when I got it. Mine wasn't awful value compared with other "standing on the wheels" options - a lot of the others don't include lights or a rego plate holder, so you have to buy those separately.

Paul_R
23-10-2014, 11:30 AM
I was looking at the expensive Thule just this morning. Yes it is very expensive. I don't think those support straps will attach to the top of the boot door because of the spoiler. It and the Mont Blanc version look like closest to fitting the bill. I'll keep looking and report back if I find a winner.

wfdTamar
24-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Have a look on Amazon.co.uk to see the variety of other brands available. Might be worth getting one from Europe.

GTR27
24-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Is there a non phalic bar available? Like a hr?

Paul_R
24-10-2014, 03:24 PM
I think I have this right:

You can't have a 50mm square flange bar because the car is only rated to 1500kg braked, 660kg un braked. This is what determines what bar you can have. I think you can fit a HR LR, or class 3, 40mm square flange bar in a legal sense but it may require cutting of your rear bumper. If you fit it below the bumper you'll get a bill from the council soon to repair all the gouges in the roads round your way.

Ball weight is still the standard 75kg so my 20kg super expensive super deluxe Thule bike carrier and 50kg of bikes (that's for 4 bikes. I've weighed them) will be fine on the phallic OEM job.

If you do find a workable 40mm flange option can you report back please? It opens up some cheaper bike carrier options. Cheers.

brad
24-10-2014, 03:53 PM
How about this?
Towbar hitch adaptor for Hayman Reece pull out type towbars - Frontline Trading Pty Ltd (http://motow.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2)

You aren't the first with the issue

Australian Cycling Forums - Tow hitch bike carrier 40mm (http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60647&p=910923)

Aussie company 4 bike carrier fully customisable starting at $835
iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems (http://www.isi-carriers.com/)

Paul_R
24-10-2014, 04:09 PM
I've just been through the 206 HR catalogue...
Looks like a class 3 40mm square flange is a goer and you will have to cut the bar. The Occy 3 isn't in the catalogue yet but all the stats for the Occy 2 indicate they can do it.

I haven't looked through those bike carrier links yet but thanks.

roshea
24-10-2014, 04:24 PM
I got a HR towbar on my MY10 - info and pics here:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f149/skodas-tow-bars-12005-post1017553.html#post1017553

donweather
24-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Great finds there Brad!!! I searched high and low for the towbar hitch adaptor (40-50mm) when I was looking at bike racks and couldn't find one. That certainly seems to be the cheapest way to go.

wfdTamar
29-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Just got an Amazon Germany email about various bike racks. Can't tell how some attach (tow ball or hitch), but might be in the page description. You need to go through to the point where you tell it your address to see if they ship to Australia, find the shipping price, and see if the item price gets reduced as they take off German VAT/GST.

MFT 180 Euro (156 Euro shipping) A$442 total
MFT 8200/BL Fahrradheckträger Multi-Cargo2-Family: Amazon.de: Auto (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005OVGHXY/ref=pe_346991_56476491_em_1p_8_ti)

Thule EuroRide 940 257 Euro (114 Euro shipping) A$475 total
Thule EuroRide 940, Anhängerkupplungs-Fahrradträger: Amazon.de: Auto (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003DTL84C/ref=pe_346991_56476491_em_1p_2_ti)

Thule 920020 EuroWay G2 920 343 Euro (110 Euro shipping) A$574 total (once you go through checkout the German VAT gets taken off)
Thule 920020 EuroWay G2 920 (Version 2014) Anhängerkupplungs-Fahrradträger: Amazon.de: Auto (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00I8EHWGU/ref=pe_346991_56476491_em_1p_1_ti)

Westfalia 350030600001 345 Euro (150 Euro shipping!) A$632 total
Westfalia 350030600001 Anhängekupplungsträger, Universal: Amazon.de: Auto (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DI6FBNY/ref=pe_346991_56476491_em_1p_0_ti)

This looks like the BC 60 model (gooseneck ball attachment) shown here:

Cycle Carrier BC 60 – Westfalia-Automotive (http://www.westfalia-automotive.com/uk/products/cycle-carriers/bc-60-cycle-carrier/)

wfdTamar
30-10-2014, 12:01 AM
cheap 50mm 4 bike non swinging bike carrier $129 shipped!

4 Bicycle Bike Rack Hitch Mount CAR Carrier | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Bicycle-Bike-Rack-Hitch-Mount-Car-Carrier/161412739429?_trksid=p2047675.c100013.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26 asc%3D20140107112811%26meid%3D3cd075b2a5c245eb8e8c c6eca67b0d4b%26pid%3D100013%26prg%3D20140107112811 %26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D151450705800)

brad
30-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Top hanger are no good for many bikes as the frame shapes are too varied. I really doubt you could actually fit 4 bikes on it and not cause scratches with the frames rubbing.

KWICKS
30-10-2014, 07:53 PM
My two foam-pronged rack takes 4 bikes and I haven't found one we can't load yet.

brad
31-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Maybe I just have weird shaped bikes - they're all adult size and every frame is different

wfdTamar
01-11-2014, 03:49 PM
With those braces that go between seat and handlebars?

oxmo
01-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Asked dealer about tow bars for the Octavia wagon is Australia and was quoted $1,000 "because it takes 5 hours to fit". Told it was a Hayman Reese bar. Called HR and was told they haven't developed a bar as not enough demand and no request from VW. If they started one now would take a couple of months at least with compliance folders. Has anyone fitted a bar yet, who made it, and what was the cost?

$1000 for a tow bar? Although, I recently met a bloke who drives an X5 and he had a tow bar fitted and apparently it was about $5,000 including installation. Go figure...

donweather
01-11-2014, 06:15 PM
My HR on my MK 2 cost $1500 fitted.

GTR27
02-11-2014, 08:53 AM
$1000 for a towbar, fitted isnt that bad. My last car (holden statesman) which most people assume would be cheap as chips, due to being common as muck (commodore) was ~850-900 fitted for a "heavy duty" HR style towbar (2100kg). Would have been 750-800 fitted for the 1500kg one. Roughly a 1/3 was labour (cost about $300 to fit), which I imagine is similar in the skoda. So the bar itself is really only $200 more expensive than a commodore. I'm sure I could have found a cheaper bar, but if you wanted a decent quality australian one, with the wiring done properly then thats what you pay.

brad
02-11-2014, 10:42 AM
With those braces that go between seat and handlebars?
Tried those without success. The bikes just trash each other.

One of these:
and

hardtail version of this

and a ladies frame cross-bike.

YMMV but for me I find the wheels sitting in a cradle much easier to keep the bikes where I want them

wfdTamar
03-11-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm waiting for a Thule Xpress 970 2 bike one to turn up, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. With the light board & mount for it, total was about $300. For an extra few hundred may have been better off with a wheel support tilting type.

wfdTamar
04-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Incredibly annoyed to find after spending $365 on the Xpress 970, 976 light bar, 9761 adaptor and two 981 bar adaptors that there is no way to mount two mountain bikes on it!

The inner bike is too close to the car (could scratch it or break the rear window). The two mounting points are too far apart to get inside the frame.

The two bikes are too close together. Seats and handlebars clash.

I am following the instructions correctly. I have the bikes facing each way. I have used adaptors, and tried without. They just do not go on.

These are strictly for road bikes only and it should be stated in the advertising. Feck.

brad
04-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Welcome to my world. Bummer :-(

donweather
04-11-2014, 12:40 PM
These are strictly for road bikes only and it should be stated in the advertising. Feck.
Sorry, why are road bikes narrower than off-road bikes? Agree the handle bars will be narrower on a road bike, but can't you swap (head to tail) the bikes around so the handle bars don't clash with each other?

Surely it's then just down to the crank/pedal extension and I can't see how a road bike will be really any narrower in that department than an off-road bike. You could always take one pedal off if you're worried about that scratching the car? Or if it's a hitch mounted bike rack, can't you get an extender piece to move the bike carrier out from the car more?

brad
04-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Sorry, why are road bikes narrower than off-road bikes? Agree the handle bars will be narrower on a road bike, but can't you swap (head to tail) the bikes around so the handle bars don't clash with each other?

Surely it's then just down to the crank/pedal extension and I can't see how a road bike will be really any narrower in that department than an off-road bike. You could always take one pedal off if you're worried about that scratching the car? Or if it's a hitch mounted bike rack, can't you get an extender piece to move the bike carrier out from the car more?

He said he has them head to tail.

I think youll find that the arms are to wide & the distance from the headset to the downtube is too small to stradle the arms whereas on a roadie there's a bit more length.

Even nose to tail & with a bottom mount rack I have to move my seat higher so that the other handlebars don't cut the leather.

Sometimes (esp these days) bikes are just too weird a shape no matter what carrier you have.

daft1014
05-11-2014, 09:55 AM
This pic shows the 970 with two mountain bikes.... maybe it could help?

brad
05-11-2014, 01:28 PM
This pic shows the 970 with two mountain bikes.... maybe it could help?

They are really "traditional" bikes - have a look at the headset, etc - very old fashioned.

The photo reminds me of the serving suggestions on a packet of food - they don't put the photos of the stuff that isn't perfect.

wfdTamar
05-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Have the bikes head to tail. The seats and bars clash. With the bars straight they're too close to the rear window (20mm). Pedals and cranks aren't the problem.

That photo (above with the white car) does show the old fashioned type of mountain bike which has more room up at the headset end. Also they look like 26" wheels. Mine are 27.5", so hang down a lot lower. You'd really have trouble with 29" wheels.

I finally got it worked out, but it's a pain in the bum. Wish I'd sprung for the other type, despite the cost, as I can see this is going to drive me nuts what with the palaver to get them on and off and having to do it to get access to the boot.

Here's the process -
I have one medium bike and one small. The medium bike just goes on next to the car (as it says to do in the instructions - heaviest bike closest to car), though it’s handlebar is too close to the rear window for my liking. Lucky the Octavia has a sloping rear window or there’d be no chance.

The second, smaller bike seemed to not go on no matter how you try. I thought of taking the racks arms off and putting them on the inside of the uprights, but you can’t remove them.

As you see below, barely enough width between seat and handlebars for the rack arms to go in.

However I did get it on. I have to leave the front clip of the cross bar undone, lift the bike onto the rack, then clip on the handlebars. It does go on, but there is only about 20mm between handlebars and rear window - no good, particularly as I have those metal ended hand grips (which are very good BTW).

wfdTamar
05-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Very tight fit to get to smaller bike on. I had to lift the seat and even then it a hell of a struggle. I have to hold the bike in place, push down on the rubber mounts, get the cross bars in place, then clip the cross bar on.

(I put the foam knee pads in there to lift the cross bar up to show how much room there is).

Really difficult to mount both bikes in this arrangement.

wfdTamar
05-11-2014, 02:28 PM

Finally got them on, but hardly any ground clearance.
Put the small bike next to the car. They go on a bit easier, but still bad ground clearance. I could take the front wheels off, but even so the ground clearance will not be good enough.

Here’s what happened going out my driveway gutter for a short test drive. This is a very shallow gutter, but still the bikes hit the road and the bars almost cracked the rear window. I’m not sure if that’s a permanent mark the handlebars made in the window or the finish from the handlebar end caps.
Finally - take the bikes front wheels & mudguards off, raise the seats to get the bikes on the racks, then lower the seats to raise the rear wheels off the ground. Turn the handlebars sideways. Then try to get the tight light board arms in the holes. There is NOTHING Xpress about this product. Except maybe putting the rack on the car.

It is really not suitable for modern mountain bikes.

The photo makes it look like the wheels stick out miles - it's only about 150mm at most.

So yes, it’s a working bike rack, but it’s a right royal pain in the bum to get the bikes on and off - and it has to be done to get access to the boot (which I did know, but I was under the impression it was easy). Should have got the Westfalia BC60, or Thule Euroride 940 (though this has put me off Thule stuff).

brad
05-11-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm sure you've tried it a million ways but what happens if you remove the font mudguard (you don't need a front guard anyway) on the big bike & mount the arm in the V between the fork & the bottom frame rail? That will lift the front up a lot higher & get the handlebar away from the window.

Sorry it hasn't worked for you. I think I tried 3 different hanger style racks (two owned by friends) before i bit the bullet & found a workable ride on tyre mount solution.

One of the guys I work with has the Thule 912XTR ride-on. It's really good & even easier to use & mount the bikes than my Torpedo7 unit.

donweather
05-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Geezus that looks like a mission. Thule really haven't considered different bikes much have they!! Why do they have the horizontal bars so far apart? I don't get it?

I'd be selling that one on ebay real soon and going for something that fits your particular bikes way better. But I see from your euro style of towbar your bike rack options are limited.

BTW I think the way you've got the bikes in your 2nd last pic above might be considered illegal? Can you have objects protruding 150mm out last the width of your car like that? I know they don't allow any width overhang on things on your roof.

wfdTamar
05-11-2014, 07:15 PM
You missed where I said I take the mudguards off (easy - just press a tab both sides of the fork and they slide off). I reckon lifting the big ike up like you suggest will throw the front wheel out even further and lower the rear wheel too much (I'll have a go though). Might work if I also put the seat rack arm under the top bar of the bike (lift the whole bike up a lot).

This rack would work ok for older style road bikes that have plenty of room under the top bar (and old school size bars). Aluminium frames mean bigger bar sections which complicates things.

There are a few options to fit the Euro bar (mentioned some earlier). I think I'd go with the Westfalia BC 60 if I want something better.

That second last pic is a bit fish eye lens-ish. It doesn't actually look that bad. Though it does protrude out about 200mm when I looked from the front.

Gerrycan
05-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Since you only have two bikes, have you thought about putting them inside the car?
What I do is take off the front wheel and saddle stem of each bike, a two minute job.
Then I put down the back of one side of the rear seats, usually the double but I can get away with the single (extend the headrest beyond the seat to get it lying flat.
Put the bikes in inverted so the handlebars support them upright. One facing forward and one back and overlapping.
Secure with bungies and padding if necessary.
Attached is a video review of Polo and Jazz, halfway through they show three mountain bikes fitted inside the Jazz and seating three people.
Honda Jazz v Volkswagen Polo comparison review (http://www.caradvice.com.au/videos/honda-jazz-v-volkswagen-polo-comparison-review/)

wfdTamar
06-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Yes, I was doing that until the rack arrived. I want to have them on the outside for travelling (when the car has other stuff in it) Also so I don't have to worry if they're muddy.

Someone at Thule Australia suggested turning the rubber mounts on the rack arms (didn't know they did turn) and mounting the smaller bike higher up under the lower frame bits.

Gerrycan
06-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Yes, I was doing that until the rack arrived. I want to have them on the outside for travelling (when the car has other stuff in it) Also so I don't have to worry if they're muddy.

Yeah, I forgot it sometimes rains in other parts of Australia.

wfdTamar
12-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Ok, it worked without the cross bars/adaptors and turning the rubber mount things, but the weight of the bikes pushes the two arms apart then it's a bugger to push the light board into them (which has two arms that go inside the racks arms).

Lawson123
17-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I have the genuine 13 pin to 7 pin cable, but it wields out with my LED lights and the lights just flash (brake light works indicators don't), has anyone encountered this before? is it something that can get coded out or do I need another adaptor?

wfdTamar
17-11-2014, 04:52 PM
LED lights on the trailer do you mean? If so, I believe you need a resistor in the trailer light circuit to increase the apparent current draw.

A quick Google found this. Haven't read through but I think it's the issue

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f75/trailer-light-issues-31703.html

I reckon it'd be cheaper to put globe lights on the trailer than buy the proper 'dummy load' thing.

Lawson123
17-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks mate, I searched and couldn't find it.

Kind of annoying as I switched from globes to LED's just before I bought mine

wfdTamar
18-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Handy Hints – REDARC Electronics (http://www.redarc.com.au/handy-hints/tech_tips/led_dummy_loads/)

Trailer Lighting - REDARC (http://www.redarc.com.au/products/category/ae-trailer-lighting/)
Not sure if these are the right things (I'm just quickly Googling), but they're expensive. I'd be checking on UK sites (Briskoda) as they usually come up with a cheaper fix.

LED Load Resistor - Products - Narva (http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/led-load-resistor)

Another pricey option
LED Trailer Adaptor Module European and UK - 2. 4x4 Accessories - LED Trailer Adaptor Modules - 4wd Recovery Gear | 4wd Accessories | 4wd Equipment and Camping Gear Australia | Axe and Shovel Holder | Combo Shovel | Camping Lights | Tyre Deflators | (http://www.4x4equip.com.au/4wd-camping/2.+4x4+Accessories/LED+Trailer+Adaptor+Modules/LED+Adaptor+Module+European+and+UK)

Mysticality
20-11-2014, 08:30 PM
You need these:
http://etime.com.au/led-autolamps-lr12-2-12v-load-resistor.html

2x 2 pack.
One each for: tails; brakes; left indic; right indic.

harlie
20-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Far less pissing about if you just replace the LEDs with globes. You will also re-gain the light test functionality, which is what makes the LEDs flash. When an adapter (or resistors) are used the test functionality is now testing that the resistors are there.

brad
20-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Julian Edgar built a box full of resistors for the same purpose - cost about $20 all up. Have a hunt around on AutoSpeed

harlie
20-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Julian Edgar built a box full of resistors for the same purpose - cost about $20 all up. Have a hunt around on AutoSpeed

So have I (our 4wd needs it too - but is more than just resistors for it). So I will stand by my previous post - the car is also now just testing your resistor box.

brad
21-11-2014, 10:47 AM
So have I (our 4wd needs it too - but is more than just resistors for it). So I will stand by my previous post - the car is also now just testing your resistor box.

Sorry, wasn't disputing the testing of resistors.

Some people will want to stick with LEDs and forego the testing of the bulbs. Therefore they may wish to build a box for the resistors rather than splice them into the wiring loom.

Mysticality
24-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Sorry, wasn't disputing the testing of resistors.

Some people will want to stick with LEDs and forego the testing of the bulbs. Therefore they may wish to build a box for the resistors rather than splice them into the wiring loom.

+1
I like the look of the LEDs, I also like the idea of never having to replace the bulb, therefore splicing in resistors is the easiest way to keep the car happy. Everybody wins!

deano163
27-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Still no word on a "genuine" (Best Bars?) towbar for the latest Octavia?

Smart1
27-11-2014, 05:45 PM
The genuine bars are available but not from Best Bars, they are coming from Europe and are Skoda branded, even with Skoda fitting instructions. Tha detachable tongue even fits into the tool kit foam block in the spare wheel.

nickd
04-12-2014, 07:56 PM
We were told the genuine ones are $1250 fitted. Seemed like a lot but reading back through here it sounds like it's not so bad.

Even better if it fits in the wheel storage and comes with a proper plug in loom.

Anyone know if the connector is mounted under the bumper or if it's loose and just gets stashed away like in some of the earlier pics?

Nick

Smart1
04-12-2014, 08:47 PM
the complete package hides away, with the wiring swinging up behind the rear bar and the ball section itself fitting into the foam boot kit.

RedBen
04-12-2014, 09:10 PM
the complete package hides away, with the wiring swinging up behind the rear bar and the ball section itself fitting into the foam boot kit.

@ Smart1...... Sorry to be a pain but just to clarify; that's the Skoda Dealer supplied bar?

That's the one I'm looking for but could not get clarification if it was available in Oz.

Smart1
04-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Yes it is, complete with all wiring and coding. I've even got the Skoda fitting instruction books.

RedBen
05-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Fantastic, thanks for the info mate.

nickd
05-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the awesome detailed pics Smart1. Any chance of a pic of the underside showing how the bar fits in? Also I assume that matte black crossmember that the plug socket is on part of the towbar frame... How much does it affect ground clearance?

Thanks again,

Nick

wfdTamar
07-12-2014, 08:51 AM
If it's like my Westfalia bar (who I reckon make the Skoda one) the 13 pin socket swings down for use and up out of sight when not used so there is nothing to be seen or scrape when not using the tow bar. Clearance with the gooseneck in is pretty good - has to be a high obstruction to have it hit. Mine cost me about $8-900 with proper electrics (I fitted it though).

Smart1
07-12-2014, 05:42 PM
I finally got out and took a couple more photos of the towbar.134761347813477, as you can see everything sits above the lowest point on the car.

They are produced by Prof Svar s.r.o. out of Czech Republic for SKODA and the compliance page in the instructions makes note of compliance with OZ ADR 62/02, AS 4177.1 and type approval 55R-01 55657.

nickd
09-12-2014, 08:04 AM
Legend... Thanks again.

deano163
09-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks Smart1, 2 months ago my local dealer said another 6 months before towbars were available!

Smart1
09-12-2014, 02:24 PM
That's interesting considering that mine was fitted in September. I do know that they are a bit rare over here at the moment but 6 months is a bit steep.

GTR27
09-12-2014, 02:26 PM
My dealer said he could fit one this week with pre delivery......

ashmannnn
10-12-2014, 03:52 PM
has anybody in Australia actually got a tow bar fitted to an Octavia vRS or non vRS yet?

I had one fitted late last year 2013 to my Octavia RS... unfortuneately it got written off in Boxing Day last year... i got it fitted from Newcastle Skoda for $1200... pushed them down from $1400... it is quite a process I saw my car in many pieces whilst they fitted it and took them a good few hours.. like 4 or 5...

look for my wreck, you can get a towbar cheap :-)

But now i drive a 2009 superb.... much nicer :-)

Hendo27
08-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Hi all

Been searching for a while, then hit the jackpot! Diy install, $600ish +$40 postage

Shop | Towbars Australia (http://www.towbarsaustralia.com.au/shop?type_1=towbar_kit&field_make_tid_selective=157)

I will grab one in the next month or so

Smart1
08-04-2015, 11:14 PM
looks good, take some photos when it's fitted.

wfdTamar
12-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Cheap, but make sure to grill them on the electrics - is it a 'dumb' kit or smart? The neck looks like a simple bolt on one which might require a permanent bit hanging below the rear for it to attach to.

GTR27
12-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Does the factory bar have the neat pull cable in the boot that folds the bar/ball down (the phallic shaped one)? I've seen some audis that had that, then you just pulled the last bit and it locked into place. Pulling the cable released it again and it could fold away. So pretty much just a pull on the cable to hide/unhide the towball, otherwise its fully concealed.

nickd
12-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Does the factory bar have the neat pull cable in the boot that folds the bar/ball down (the phallic shaped one)? I've seen some audis that had that, then you just pulled the last bit and it locked into place. Pulling the cable released it again and it could fold away. So pretty much just a pull on the cable to hide/unhide the towball, otherwise its fully concealed.

No.. it is the euro (phallic) style, but not like you describe. There are some excellent pics earlier in the thread of how it is installed (you can't see it at all when removed) and how the removable part fits into the spare wheel... nicest removable setup i've ever seen.

Agree on the previous comment re the wiring... with all the sensors and other tech on the car I won't be touching anything but the plug-in factory harness myself.

The extra $500-600 for the factory one ($1200 installed) still sounds good to me.

Nick

Smart1
12-04-2015, 10:12 PM
I saw a video for the Superb III, which will have the pull handle for the towbar described by GTR27, but can't find the link to it anywhere. The factory supplied towbar (Prof Svar) has a lever on the side which you push down to release the towbar. The Westfalia towbar has a wheel which you unscrew.

Smart1
25-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Found it:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/120959810

nickd
15-05-2015, 09:21 AM
So according to the dealer, the tow bar in the genuine accessories price list at $1250(?) fitted was not ADR compliant and the one pictured in the other thread IS the new genuine one, but it's $1600 fitted.

Does this fit with what anyone else has been told?

2007 Golf 2.0 TDI Comfortline DSG/ESP
MY15 Octavia RS Wagon 135TDI, Race Blue, 18" Black Pack, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Auto Tailgate (on order)

masev
15-05-2015, 03:39 PM
If you follow the below link and click on Octavia Accessories, you'll see the picture and product number of the towbar I ordered with the RS. I'm quite certain it was around $1,800 rrp for the towbar and wiring loom.

Download a brochure - Å*KODA (http://www.skoda.com.au/looking-to-buy/download-a-brochure)

HAZ79
15-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Hayman Reese is part 03105rlw $548.80 rrp
It also needs the ecu which is 04828 $225.01 rrp
With a total estimated fit time of 90 minutes. I would take that with a grain of salt though it wouldn't surprise me if it was a 4 hour fit time.

Smart1
15-05-2015, 05:42 PM
The one i have is as per the brochure and the instructions supplied with it clearly state that it is Australian Standards approved.

merkin
21-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Can anyone help me in Melbourne?

Skoda are quoting $2k plus installation for a superb wagon towbar.

Surely someone is fitting them and updating the elecs via the canbus? to be as good as the skoda install?

I'd rather fit a $500 one to my MY08 forester at that price, even if the skoda is the family car with more space.

donweather
21-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Have you tried pedders for a hayman reese towbar? I've got one on my occy and there's no error codes or anything but it doesn't turn off the reverse sensors when a trailer is connected. Not sure if the OEM one turns them off or not.

Was $1350 installed if I recall.

brad
21-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Can anyone help me in Melbourne?

Skoda are quoting $2k plus installation for a superb wagon towbar.

Surely someone is fitting them and updating the elecs via the canbus? to be as good as the skoda install?

I'd rather fit a $500 one to my MY08 forester at that price, even if the skoda is the family car with more space.

You should ask what features the towbar has as it might be the fancy fold-away version.

Contact Hayman Reese direct. partno is 02969RW

Have you googled "superb towbar"?? There are several hits. Towbars Australia $612. Euro Towbars $1085. Peter Warren $580

Smart1
21-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Have you tried pedders for a hayman reese towbar? I've got one on my occy and there's no error codes or anything but it doesn't turn off the reverse sensors when a trailer is connected. Not sure if the OEM one turns them off or not.

Was $1350 installed if I recall.

I'd check what you had done, the reverse sensors should turn off when in reverse with the electrics connected. Also on the dashboard you should see auxillary indicator light come on when you use the indicators. If these are not happening then either it hasn't been coded correctly or the electrics have been spliced into the wiring. $1350 sounds like a well negotiated dealer price.

As for $2k+ for the Superb bar sounds very expensive. Mine on a Superb was ~$1300 fitted, coded and electrics from front to back as it didn't have the trailer wiring pre-install. I'd ring around the dealers. Mine was a Best Bars unit. They may be using Euro Prof Svar bars now, which are what are in the O3 accessory booklet photo.

One thing to remember with coding the electrics is that it affects the car's emergency systems and includes anti-sway and other safety items when the trailer electrics are connected.

donweather
22-05-2015, 06:32 AM
Mine was not dealer fitted and they made it clear that it wouldn't be coded when I got the quote.

Smart1
22-05-2015, 09:02 AM
The question to be asked then is if they just spliced the wiring into the tail light loom? It could compromise the wiring and I'd hate to have a warranty claim.

donweather
22-05-2015, 01:36 PM
The question to be asked then is if they just spliced the wiring into the tail light loom? It could compromise the wiring and I'd hate to have a warranty claim.
Every non-dealer place I rang told me they would not re-code when installing the towbar.

tony53
24-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Had one fitted to my new Scout (2015). It's the euro style (ofter referred to as the Horse ^$#K tow bar). Skoda tell me it compliant but able only says 1600kg not 1800kg and different part number so I'm having the dealer check. Cost $1800 from dealer but as he said, such of it is in the very specialised wiring and 11pin - 7pin adaptor.

Tony

Smart1
24-05-2015, 08:48 PM
From the Towing Coupling installation manual supplied by SKODA OZ, here is the page showing compliance for my tow bar. It shows compliance with ADR's and OZ Standards.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f149/16502-skodas-tow-bars-towbar-jpg

tony53
25-05-2015, 09:29 PM
115B is the part quoted by Skoda as meeting Australian Standards. My 2 week old one is 115A not sure of the difference.
Does 115B have one shackle eye or two?

Smart1
25-05-2015, 09:45 PM
155B only has one shackle eye, in the form of a welded on chain link, which can be seen in the drawing on the receiver section just to the left of where the ball section fits.

looking at the instructions the advice is that this version is not suitable for the Scout, maybe it has a slightly different rear bar requiring a different tow kit. Did they leave you with all the fitting and wiring instructions? this has the compliance information on it.

merkin
04-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

Sorry been tied up.

Richmond Skoda quoted Approx $2100 for cut out style fitted.

I was recommended a few places in the Octavia thread on here, but i'd seen them all and wanted it fitted and I didnt want a cut out like the Haymen Reese one.

Euro towbars stood out, but were northern states based. Anyways i emailed off Jeff and he contacted me straight awayHe said he trips down every now and then for some installs in Melbourne. Anyways less than 2 weeks later (would have been 1 week without a courier issue), for $1085 he had fitted in a few hours in my driveway: a quick release swan neck rated to 2,000kg towing capacity and 200kg ball load. (Refer to your owners manual as to what Skoda Australia recommend for warranty purposes). The towbar is made in Poland by AUTO-HAK. It has a lifetime warranty. The electric kit is German made by Jaeger. He changed the round connecter to a 7 pin flat for me as well. All done and programmed up. Looks neat. Very happy.

Skoda Superb tow bar + dedicated electrics (fitted) (http://eurotowbars.com.au/tow-bars/skoda/superb-tow-bar/fitted-sydney-brisbane-gold-coast/)

woofy
04-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Surprised it is a 200kg ball load, all the Skoda bars I've seen previously all were 75kg. I would imagine it is to do with the chassis and the rear suspension which he wouldn't have touched.

donweather
04-06-2015, 12:52 PM
The link provided above to the eurobar website states 100kg ball weight, but agree, 75-100kg is all that Skoda Aus will warrant is my understanding.

merkin
04-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Jeff's email to me contents:

"The towbar is rated to 2,000kg towing capacity and 200kg ball load (100kg in Europe). Refer to your owners manual as to what Skoda Australia suggest. I know they have down rated some models to suit the locally produced towbars. Regardless of the towbar's capacity, you must adhere to the owners manual otherwise the warranty may be void."

I'm 6 months out of warranty. Regardless, the smart money is to adhere to aus skoda's specs.

aslsw
27-07-2015, 09:58 PM
I picked up my new Scout last Thursday, complete with euro-style towbar. After living in Switzerland for two years, the towbar doesn't look as funny as it used to.

Anyway, what I'm interested in is some form of protection for the rear bumper when hitching/unhitching. The only scratch on my old RS was self-inflicted, when I was unhitching but the trailer rolled forward slightly and hit the car. Clearly I want to avoid that happening again.

What options are out there to protect the bumper? I'd prefer to have something that is temporary only ie. can be put on and taken off when needed.

AVJ
02-09-2015, 03:57 PM
I have just had look through the thread and was wondering if anyone that has a HR tower fitted to a 2014-15 RS could post a photo of the install. Have been informed by HR that they need to cut the bumper and just wanting to get a bit of an idea of how much they cut and what it looks likes.....

Smart1
02-09-2015, 07:03 PM
It wouldn't surprise me, they cut the bumper for most of their bars. The removable Prov Svar or Westfalia would look better, remove the ball and you see nothing. Cutout is already done for them as well.

donweather
02-09-2015, 08:25 PM
I have just had look through the thread and was wondering if anyone that has a HR tower fitted to a 2014-15 RS could post a photo of the install. Have been informed by HR that they need to cut the bumper and just wanting to get a bit of an idea of how much they cut and what it looks likes.....
I presume you mean MkIII? I have a MkII with HR towbar if you want to see pics of that.

AVJ
02-09-2015, 10:07 PM
I presume you mean MkIII? I have a MkII with HR towbar if you want to see pics of that.
I would say yes. It is for the 2016 model we just picked up so I think the rear bumper is slightly different. But saying that, please post photos if you can, as it would give a bit of an idea of the fitment.

donweather
03-09-2015, 08:19 AM
I would say yes. It is for the 2016 model we just picked up so I think the rear bumper is slightly different. But saying that, please post photos if you can, as it would give a bit of an idea of the fitment.

AVJ
03-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Thanks Donweather :)

gadget007a
05-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Has anyone had a towbar fitted to a vrs wagon and if so did they do it without cutting the rear bumper?

nickd
05-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Has anyone had a towbar fitted to a vrs wagon and if so did they do it without cutting the rear bumper?

I got the genuine one... There are pics earlier in this thread if you haven't seen them. No cutting.. You can't even see it when removed. Not exactly cheap though at $1700 fitted.

woofy
08-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Almighty discussion going on about these on the facebook group at the moment.

Smart1
08-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Yes, fun isn't it.

nickd
09-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Which Facebook group?

woofy
09-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Auskoda I think it is called. Started by a lady who has never been in here.

Smart1
09-09-2015, 12:20 PM
The most unfortunate part of the exercise is a non-understanding that the regulatory requirements for import of products into OZ means that the details change from the requirements for other countries.

woofy
09-09-2015, 04:30 PM
NZ is a law upon itself really. They are too small to be bothered making their own standards so they just use other countries. In some cases like with imported veges etc they allow a lot more than we do, but then onsell those things to our market avoiding our rules. I'm sure VIC could just buy the Oz version which could be sold in both countries and elsewhere. Not sure what the cost of getting that ADR sticker included would be though.

nickd
09-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Hmm yes.. I see what you mean now... Uninformed/Irresponsible/clueless vendor digging himself further and further into a hole..

puhleese
20-02-2019, 04:29 PM
I read all the posts re installing towbar on my 2018 Octavia RS169 and thought this can't be so hard
Purchased a kit from Eurotowbars Queensland and had my bar and ekit delivered from Poland
All was OK getting the bumper etc off etc and was ready to install the towbar when I found to get at the bolt holes you have to drop the rear end of the exhaust system and the heat shields. Nowhere is this mentioned in any posts I found.
It seems that Skoda has made it as difficult as possible for someone to install the bar themselves.
If I was ever to install another towbar on an Octavia I am sure it would go a lot smoother and faster but I doubt I will tackle it again :-)

brad
20-02-2019, 08:03 PM
I read all the posts re installing towbar on my 2018 Octavia RS169 and thought this can't be so hard
Purchased a kit from Eurotowbars Queensland and had my bar and ekit delivered from Poland
All was OK getting the bumper etc off etc and was ready to install the towbar when I found to get at the bolt holes you have to drop the rear end of the exhaust system and the heat shields. Nowhere is this mentioned in any posts I found.
It seems that Skoda has made it as difficult as possible for someone to install the bar themselves.
If I was ever to install another towbar on an Octavia I am sure it would go a lot smoother and faster but I doubt I will tackle it again :-)

You have a mk3. All the posts here would be for a mK2.