PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a used 2013 118 TSI Manual Jetta

Coops98
21-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, new to the forums, new to Volkswagen ownership in general.

I've just picked up a 2013 118TSI Jetta, with 89xxx on the clock. The only issue i've got with the car currently is the AC absolutely reeks like a dogs been inside of it. Assuming a cabin filter would help sort this out?

Is there any major issues I should be wary of? Like I said it's my first Volkswagen and i'm not sure what to look out for.
Looking forward to modding and playing with it in the future :)

Cheers

Kai

tigger73
21-08-2017, 08:51 PM
It's a bit late to ask the question now.... Fingers crossed the 118TSI is a good one as they have been known to have a short life unfortunately :(

theresanothersteve
22-08-2017, 08:16 AM
I hope you paid about 20K for it...

...meaning I'll get good resale at trade-in time!

MRZ
22-08-2017, 11:09 AM
I had a Polo and the aircon smells like sweaty gym socks. I changed the cabin filter with a carbon type one one and used Autoglym aircon cleaner from someone that had posted on the forums and that got rid of the unpleasant smell from the aircon.

brad
22-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Hey guys, new to the forums, new to Volkswagen ownership in general.

I've just picked up a 2013 118TSI Jetta, with 89xxx on the clock. The only issue i've got with the car currently is the AC absolutely reeks like a dogs been inside of it. Assuming a cabin filter would help sort this out?

Is there any major issues I should be wary of? Like I said it's my first Volkswagen and i'm not sure what to look out for.
Looking forward to modding and playing with it in the future :)

Cheers

Kai

The 1.4 twincharger isn't very reliable. They have a fuel ratio issue and tend to crack the piston in cylinder #4 and to a lesser extent, cyl #3.

You need to run it on 98ron and change the sparkplugs every 30,000km. Make sure you get the right ones as the spec has changed a few times.
Better still, get it remapped so it doesn't run lean in cylinder #4.

The DQ200 dry clutch 7 speed isn't great either.

maybe you should have asked these questions before purchase?

tigger73
22-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Brad lucky he's got a manual so only half as many issues to worry about ;)

But yes these tend to run lean particularly on cold starts and this has a detrimental effect on the life of the engine. As brad said a remap can help as well as using correct fuel.

I would get a compression test done to check health if you're worried and certainly before any statutory warranty expires if you bought the car from a dealer. If you bought privately you can only hope that you got a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The One
14-09-2017, 01:26 PM
R.I.P.

gbarker
25-06-2018, 05:40 PM
My Jetta is an April 2014 model and has 180,000 ks on the clock with no issues. Done servicing as per the handbook with the exception of engine oil and filter change every 7,500ks. Used RON95 80% of the time and 98 the rest. Do I need to replace the timing belt at some stage. I thought they were good for the "life of the engine" What does that mean?

theresanothersteve
26-06-2018, 08:24 AM
M.... I thought they were good for the "life of the engine" What does that mean?...
When the motor blows up its life is over...
I'd think about changing it if you are going to keep the car.
Speaking from experience (with another brand) valves smashing into the top of pistons is not good.

jdw
26-06-2018, 01:53 PM
The 1.4 twincharger isn't very reliable. They have a fuel ratio issue and tend to crack the piston in cylinder #4 and to a lesser extent, cyl #3.

You need to run it on 98ron and change the sparkplugs every 30,000km. Make sure you get the right ones as the spec has changed a few times.
Better still, get it remapped so it doesn't run lean in cylinder #4.

The DQ200 dry clutch 7 speed isn't great either.

maybe you should have asked these questions before purchase?

Brad, I had the cracked piston issue and it was thankfully repaired under warranty. I believe once repaired they are ok as they use better parts.....thoughts ?. ( always use 98)

brad
10-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Brad, I had the cracked piston issue and it was thankfully repaired under warranty. I believe once repaired they are ok as they use better parts.....thoughts ?. ( always use 98)

I'm told the new pistons are better but the root cause is lean fuel/air ratio. if the root cause isn't fixed then I'd think you are just extending the time between failures. Good excuse to get a remap that fixes the A/F ratios I guess.

simon k
12-07-2018, 08:32 PM
My Jetta is an April 2014 model and has 180,000 ks on the clock with no issues. Done servicing as per the handbook with the exception of engine oil and filter change every 7,500ks. Used RON95 80% of the time and 98 the rest. Do I need to replace the timing belt at some stage. I thought they were good for the "life of the engine" What does that mean?

belt or chain? chain should last the life of the engine, if it has a belt it would have shredded by 180,000km

Nafe75
13-07-2018, 11:51 AM
If servicing according to handbook, then likely it's already been done?