PDA

View Full Version : Do you use auto hold ?

curly747
17-08-2017, 08:28 PM
I recently bought an MY16 passat alltrack. For the first few weeks i had auto hold on. I assumed maybe you needed it with the dsg on any sort of hill. Lately i have turned it off and find the car a much better drive. The auto start kicks in now when i take my foot off the brake. With autohold on i had to step on the gas to start the engine and realease auto hold and it made moving off much more jerky and slow to respond. Just wondering if others find the same thing. Maybe the auto hold was not great in MY16 but is better now? With autohold off i don't mind the stop start and am enjoying the car much more. Also wondering if you ever really need the auto hold. I find i can start on quite steep hills without any big rollback.

ope126
17-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Yes, I use Auto Hold now I have adjusted it via VCDS.

Ozsko
17-08-2017, 09:49 PM
I recently bought an MY16 passat alltrack. For the first few weeks i had auto hold on. I assumed maybe you needed it with the dsg on any sort of hill. Lately i have turned it off and find the car a much better drive. The auto start kicks in now when i take my foot off the brake. With autohold on i had to step on the gas to start the engine and realease auto hold and it made moving off much more jerky and slow to respond. Just wondering if others find the same thing. Maybe the auto hold was not great in MY16 but is better now? With autohold off i don't mind the stop start and am enjoying the car much more. Also wondering if you ever really need the auto hold. I find i can start on quite steep hills without any big rollback.

Why do you have to manually release auto hold?

Wynnston
17-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Auto Hold doesn't work well in conjunction with stop start because it won't restart until you put your foot on the throttle at which point if you do it too hard, auto hold will come off before the drive train takes up the slack and then it's just a jerky mess.

I found that with Stop Start enabled, Auto Hold was better left off. The car will restart the second you start letting off on the brake pedal. With stop/start disabled Auto Hold works well. I have my stop start off permanently because it's the biggest load of crap and have my auto hold on all the time. I couldn't live without it.

Ozsko
17-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Personally I have no problem with autohold activated re-starting either with the foot or the steering wheel button (if acc activated) but prefer the wheel button.

Kachingg
18-08-2017, 03:06 AM
I don't use either start/stop i have permanently disabled with kufatech module and don't use hill hold find it annoying

curly747
18-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Why do you have to manually release auto hold?
I don't need to manually release it. Sorry if it read that way. But you can feel the car releasing the brake and moving off is not very smooth. Especially when combined with stop/start.

pompom
18-08-2017, 11:22 AM
use vcds to disable start/stop, and change auto hold response to early

curly747
19-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Personally I have no problem with autohold activated re-starting either with the foot or the steering wheel button (if acc activated) but prefer the wheel button.
What steering wheel button are you using to restart? I don't think i have found that one.

Ozsko
19-08-2017, 12:54 PM
If the vehicle is stopped by the ACC pressing the resume button will re-start the motor and if the car in front moves within 3 seconds you vehicle will follow it.

el1x
19-08-2017, 02:18 PM
I can't not use auto hold. I find it too much of a luxury now.
Starting the engine after the auto stop has kicked in can be done with a slight tap of the accelerator. Slight enough will engage the engine and not release auto hold.
Don't put your foot down as if you were going to take off, it's a 2 step process. Once you've got that covered there's no more jerky take offs.

curly747
20-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Starting the engine after the auto stop has kicked in can be done with a slight tap of the accelerator. Slight enough will engage the engine and not release auto hold.
I tried this today and it works pretty well. I like having that control over starting the engine and the takeoff is quite a lot smoother. I still find the auto hold holds on a bit too long so might try the VCDS change others have mentioned to do the early release. My only other complaint is auto hold coming on when reversing. I would prefer it was disabled when reversing. I have a steep driveway to reverse down and the the auto hold kicks in if i stop half way down. To move off i have to hit the accelerator which is not what i want to do when reversing down a steep slope. I guess i could turn auto hold off at that point but it makes the whole thing pretty complicated for what should be a simple task. Wondering if there is a VCDS change anyone knows which will disable auto hold when in reverse.

Ozsko
20-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Try it several times and concentrate on what is happening.I think you are blaming the AH on what really is slow throttle response that all Tiguans have and a lot complain about. Put the car is sport and give it a go then compare that to normal driving mode.

el1x
20-08-2017, 03:41 PM
My MY15 Golf has a pretty aggressive auto hold and it took a bit of practice but I can reverse to the point of crawling without the auto hold kicking in.
It's all in the amount of pressure on the brake and keeping it constant with a steady foot.

Ozsko
20-08-2017, 04:01 PM
There is no comparison between our Golf PP and the Tiguan in throttle response and the AH. The Golf feels like it has a switch attached to the throttle and the Tiguan feels like it takes a message and then thinks about moving. Funnily enough I find the Tiguan easier to get on with but they are both vehicles built to a market.

el1x
20-08-2017, 08:17 PM
There is no comparison between our Golf PP and the Tiguan in throttle response and the AH. The Golf feels like it has a switch attached to the throttle and the Tiguan feels like it takes a message and then thinks about moving. Funnily enough I find the Tiguan easier to get on with but they are both vehicles built to a market.

I have an MY15 Golf & MY17 Passat 206 - can't comment on the Tiguan.
Agreed there are differences, each with their own challenges but just take time to get used to.

Wynnston
21-08-2017, 09:23 PM
I have an MY15 Golf & MY17 Passat 206 - can't comment on the Tiguan.
Agreed there are differences, each with their own challenges but just take time to get used to.

Ooh. Another 206 owner in Perth. Seeing more around now. Just spotted a light blue one in Busselton.

Saul
16-02-2020, 12:02 PM
Sounds intriguing (not sure I entirely get the purpose of it), is this something the MY20 Polo GTI (Australian market) has too?

Thank-you.

Just_Westy
17-02-2020, 12:57 AM
I never use auto hold or auto start or any other aids besides acc. If i am starting from a steep I may use left foot on brake so its a gentle take up on the clutch.

I'm always respectful of the DSG and torque spikes when taking off with this car.

Hillbilly
17-02-2020, 07:39 AM
I never use auto hold or auto start or any other aids besides acc. If i am starting from a steep I may use left foot on brake so its a gentle take up on the clutch.

I'm always respectful of the DSG and torque spikes when taking off with this car.

By doing that it causes clutch slip which can eventually be detrimental.

206Harvard
17-02-2020, 11:43 AM
If I use auto hold, I turn off stop/start at the same time, you can do that with a 206, not sure about other cars.
If you have obd11 or similar I recommend trying setting the auto hold to early release and do the throttle sensitivity mod, I think they work very well together.
I'm not sure the throttle mod can be done on a deisel tho'.

Jondalar
19-02-2020, 11:56 AM
I love auto hold, it's such that I couldn't have a car without it. As has been said a light tap on the throttle to start the engine and then accelerate when the car in front moves. I usually tap when the car 2 in front's brake lights go out. I love not having to sit there with my foot on the brake.

Just_Westy
26-02-2020, 12:33 AM
I love auto hold, it's such that I couldn't have a car without it. As has been said a light tap on the throttle to start the engine and then accelerate when the car in front moves. I usually tap when the car 2 in front's brake lights go out. I love not having to sit there with my foot on the brake.

I can't stand the stop start system so I don't use the auto hold either same with any of the other driving aids except for ACC.

Apart from that the cars been great no complaints at all.

Hillbilly
26-02-2020, 06:08 AM
I can't stand the stop start system so I don't use the auto hold either same with any of the other driving aids except for ACC.

Apart from that the cars been great no complaints at all.

Get it turned off then Easy to do